Mimikyu Discussion

The problem with focus sash Mimikyu is that this pokemon is a lot bulkier than it looks. Sash won't be terribly useful.

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Ivs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Play Rough / Shadow Claw / Shadow Sneak
- Taunt / Pain Split
- Will-o-Wisp / Baby-Doll Eyes
- Trick Room
Note:
- Cannot be Fake Outed unless by Scrappy
- Disguise help Mimikyu to survive 1 attack while setting up trick room
- Access to Will-o-Wisp and Taunt
- Pain Split for HP recovery
- Baby-Doll Eyes for 100% accuracy +1 priority -1 attack to enemy move if you hate Will-o-Wisp miss chance
- Maximum defense to survive 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer with only 18.8% chance to OHKO(Tapu Bulu.... why u so OP)
- Minus speed nature and 0 speed IV will speed-tie with base 70 neutral nature Pokemon

Last edited:
With Adament Nature, 252 EV attack, and Sword Dance what kind of damage would you be looking at with Shadow Sneak?

Im not sure how the calculations are done or I would do it myself

Last edited:
Ok, here is another question. Lets say you have an item such as Air Balloon/Eject Button on Mimikyu. Does the first attack take down the disguise, or the balloon/Eject Button?

Surprisingly good, actually. Never really doubted poor, poor Mimikyu, and it looks like it could be a good RU, UU, or potential OU. For one thing, it's Disguise ability extends beyond some cheap gimmick. It has some tactical value, seeing as it gets access to Swords Dance and Hone Claws to boost its decent 90 attack, and it can take a meatshot for its teammates to keep the team running in good condition. Another upside is the fact that Disguise doesn't break from indirect damage, meaning that you can come in on Stealth Rocks safely and still take a meatshot. The only downside is that it only activates once, so you have to use it wisely, or else Mimikyu might become dead weight afterwards, depending on the situation.

Everything else is still quite decent. 55/80/105 bulk is better than I expected, but it won't allow you to take multiple strong hits (neutral or otherwise) after the Disguise breaks, so best be aware of that. 96 speed is just a few points shy of the crowded 100 base speed tier, but is far from being horrible, and allows it to outspeed non-choice scarf boosted Krookodile, among others.

Movepool is decent, though Mimikyu can't make use of the nice Special movepool it gets due to its mediocre 50 Sp. Atk, so run Choice Specs if you're feeling curious about a using a Special Mimikyu, but then again, take this with a grain of salt. I assure you...

Other than that, getting Shadow Sneak is a plus, along with Leech Life, which provides some decent recovery. Pain Split's another option if you want to take advantage of Mimikyu's low HP to heal to great amounts, but it can have its downfalls. Swords Dance, like I said, is a huge plus for Mimikyu, as it can boost its decent base 90 Attack to hit harder, though Bulk Up can be used to patch up it's average 80 defense, but earn a lower attack boost. Wood Hammer's an interesting choice if you want to hit decently hard and punish switch-ins of the likes of Azumarill or Tyranitar, who can be OHKOed and/or 2HKOed by this move. Shadow Claw is another STAB move that lands crits more often, so feel free to use it alongside Shadow Sneak. Mimikyu also has a decent support movepool, with Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Infestation, Taunt, etc, and it's decently fast enough to use them, though do op for a bulkier spread if you wish to use them effectively.

All in all, Mimikyu is no joke, and it surely has what it takes to take on top threats with the right tools. Having decent STABS, as well as being neutrally affected by Poison and Dark type moves due to way of that Ghost/Fairy typing. Steel and Ghost type moves are the only big worries, but it's still neutrally affected by Dark type moves, as I said, so be wary of mons with Knock Off, especially since you could lose your item and take a good chunk of damage. Having access to an interesting support movepool with the speed to back it up also aids its teammates and allows them or itself to set up in Doubles as well as Singles, so make great use of that strength. When played right, Mimikyu could be a game changer, but played wrong, and it becomes dead weight...

Sheesh, this is kinda messy looking. I'll edit it when I get the chance.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorta late to the party here, but I think Mimikyu has some serious potential in Battle Spot Singles. Since you only have 3 Pokemon, Disguise can be a HUGE upset, letting Mimikyu revenge kill stuff without needing a Scarf or anything thanks to Life Orb. I can also see people using Focus Sash as well just to make foes pay for trying to revenge kill a Swords Dance set late game! The speed and low power are going to be problems though, so I'd save Mimikyu for late game even if its tempting to give a Garchomp a taste of Play Rough. If you're in an emergency however, Life Orb Play Rough + Shadow Sneak does KO Garchomp at the very least!

Ghost-Fairy stab hitting everything except Pyroar is a selling point all on its own, although it doesn't really have the most useful coverage moves.
Indeed, Pyroar will be its main check for sure.

-----//------

BTW Does Disguise still work after using Wood Hammer? (I hate Azumarill)

Last edited:
Indeed, Pyroar will be its main check for sure.

-----//------

BTW Does Disguise still work after using Wood Hammer? (I hate Azumarill)
Pyroar is more like a straight up counter, but i doubt you'll ever see it.

Yes, disguise only breaks for an actual attack that targets Mimikyu.

I'm really loving how Mimikyu's shaping up... Disguise and its awesome movepool is really working wonders for it.

I wanna find a good offensive set for this, honestly.

I'm really loving how Mimikyu's shaping up... Disguise and its awesome movepool is really working wonders for it.

I wanna find a good offensive set for this, honestly.
SD + Life Orb
Shadow Sneak
Play Rough
Shadow Claw / Coverage Move

Not sure if you wanna use Jolly or Adamant though, honestly it probably isn't an answerable question until it settles into a tier, although Jolly outspeeds non-scarfed Excadrill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)