Mimikyu Discussion

It seems so far that breaking Disguise is identical to popping an Air Balloon.

Random thought, I wanna try Red Card on this thing.

Does disguise reset when you switch out? The ability description says once per battle but I kinda want confirmation because sometimes the wording on these descriptions doesn't match up to what actually happens. Please and thank you.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hey, it's not that bad! Not the greatest, but usable.

I wasn't sure where Mimikyu's stats would go but from what I see I think it makes sense. Decent Attack and Speed (its faster than Pikachu, definietly hits harder), low HP but decent to high defenses (plus its Ability providing a free hit), and the same Special Attack stat as Pikachu (curious if that's intentional).

STABs are best you can get for a Physical Ghost/Fairy. Wood Hammer, Slash, Thief/Payback, and X-Scissor are interesting coverage. It also learns a lot of Special Attacks, guessing trying to copy Pikachu, though I don't think Pikachu learns Psychic, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, and Dazzling Gleam; maybe Alolan Pikachu. For utility it gets Hone Claws, Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Protect, Light Screen, Substitute (that's probably a bit meta for it), and Swords Dance (not to mention Splash for that Z-Splash). Egg Moves add more utility with Curse and Destiny Bond.

Not sure if it was worth the mention but it also gets Mimic and Copycat (which isn't the same, Mimic copies the opponent's last used move when Mimic was used for the rest of the battle while Copycat just copies the opponent's last used move).

Does disguise reset when you switch out? The ability description says once per battle but I kinda want confirmation because sometimes the wording on these descriptions doesn't match up to what actually happens. Please and thank you.
Can confirm that it is once per battle, I've done it a few times.

No it's once per match. If it was refreshed on switch you could just run two and troll an opponent with two mimikyu by switching back and forth infinitely. Not competitively but from a design standpoint they would avoid such a simple infinite loop.

Still playing around with the idea of a bulk up set. Don't have much nailed down yet. I'm really liking bulky offensive for a lot of the mons this gen.

Mimikyu
EVs: 252 Attack/?Hp/?SpDef/?Spd
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Bulk Up
-Shadow Sneak
-Play Rough
-?Leech Life?

I'm pretty excited about Mimikyu. A free turn is pretty valuable, so in singles I bet it will settle in UU or BL1. On its free turn, it can get the equivalent of base 230 attack after a swords dance, plus shadow sneak and passable bulk. Bulk Up could also be a thing with Leech Life like Jack posted. If you can manage to make someone switch out with Mimikyu (plausible given its three immunities), substitute would guarantee two free turns to set up and ruin someone's day. I doubt it would be reliable enough for OU, but it's threatening enough for else.

Mimikyu @ Leftovers
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Substitute/Leech Life/Will-o-wisp

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Substitute

The Life Orb Swords Dance set is a lot more promising. If boosted Mimikyu still has either its Disguise or Substitute up, even a bulky Scizor would end up dying unless it has already mega evolved, unless Play Rough misses at least. The Bulk Up set, I feel, takes less advantage of the free turns that Mimikyu comes with/creates and it doesn't really solve problems as well... as far as I can see, at least. I haven't analyzed it terribly thoroughly by any means.

Last edited:
I really like the concept of it's ability and it's array of support moves, so I'm going be trying out a more defensive utility variant when the game comes out. Disguise to survive a hit, Red Card to force an already set up Pokemon out, and a Status Move or taunt to cripple the switch in. The set in mind is in mind is probably going to look something like this:

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Level: 100
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Play Rough
- Destiny Bond / Trick Room

I really like the concept of it's ability and it's array of support moves, so I'm going be trying out a more defensive utility variant when the game comes out. Disguise to survive a hit, Red Card to force an already set up Pokemon out, and a Status Move or taunt to cripple the switch in. The set in mind is in mind is probably going to look something like this:

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Level: 100
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Play Rough
- Destiny Bond / Trick Room
I like the sound of it! It's defenses aren't all to terrible(SpDef is comparable to Rotom-X, and it get's a free hit). It has two great immunities, and paint split to help it regain HP. I could definitely see it take on a more supportive role. Too bad it doesn't get Volt Switch. Some Pikachu copier.

Some Calcs, not to check its viability, but see what this thing can do, I'll use the Splash Z-Move since it raises attack buy 3 stages, not by 2 like SD. Magcargo = Mimikyu.

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 361-429 (89.3 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 539-636 (83.9 - 99%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 222-263 (74.7 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 273-321 (75.6 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Play Rough vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 647-764 (155.1 - 183.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 361-429 (89.3 - 106.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Shadow Claw vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 282-333 (87.3 - 103%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 439-523 (108.6 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 252+ Atk Life Orb Magcargo Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 400-476 (90.2 - 107.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

That being said, although you can pretty much guaranteed get that +3 boost, it just takes a decently bulky mon like Ferro to wall it and get rid of its disguise and his abilities to set up for the rest of the game, so I this thing isn't going to OU and I think not even to UU. RU is my bet.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It should be noted that the base power of moves is slightly more important than raw stats and boosts when it comes to damage output. So, Swords Dance + Life Orb is pretty much better than Z-Splash damage-wise and if you find yourself switching Mimikyu and needing to boost more than once (ala smart switching or Healing Wish):

+3 252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 286-337 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 298-351 (87.3 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Life Orb also comes in handy if you need a strong +0 hit to pick off that phys bulky Chesnaught or something that otherwise will KO you in the next turn if you can't KO back.

And yeah let's not mince words, having 90 Atk and needing to set up SD every match isn't exactly anything noteworthy especially with move base powers outside of Play Rough that don't quite cut it. Barely reaching even Hydreigon's Speed doesn't exactly bode well either in lower tiers. Mimikyu isn't exactly relatively bulky either when more than 3/4 of attacking types are hitting it neutrally. It's at least a fun and decent pick at best wherever it's headed.

Pikachu @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

I dont think the main value of Mimikyu is trying to set up and sweep, its main strength is as an Alakazam style revenge killer that also offers a fantastic defensive typing and also acts as a spinblocker.

This mimikyu will be annoying vs both offensive and defensive teams. Mimikyu naturally has a good matchup against frail attackers thanks to having a priority attack along with a favourable attack trade with Disguise the first time, which should make most people think about switching to defensive pokemon, perhaps fearing some z-splashing also. But a Subtoxic set will prove to be a total pain in their asses, not to mention being untouchable by chansey and able to punch through mega sableye behind a sub. Steel types outside of Heatran dont love will-o-wisp.

This set can revenge kill latios, keldeo, mega lopunny, tyranitar, megacham, some garchomps, weavile, mega gardevoir, mega alakazam, etc whilst disguise is up. It can also stay in and wisp most other physical setup attackers, and it can also stay in and play against defensive mons like chansey and mega sableye with substitute and status.

Ultimately, if Mimikyu can use its disguise to prevent a sweep or kill a spinner, its job is done imo. And it does that pretty easily..

What happens if Mimikyu runs a focus sash? Does the sash get broken with the disguise, or does it persist until Mimikyu itself is hit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)