Ladder Mix and Mega

Here's another team for y'all

THE BURNING TANK

I built this team as a fresh start for the permanent Mix and Mega ladder in order to get back into the flow of laddering due to the fact that my most recent team is outdated and now gets trounced pretty easily. Surprisingly enough this new team has worked out exceptionally well and allowed me to break back into top 20 on the ladder on an alt and netted some wins against some notable and strong players.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume

Yes this is a very unorthodox set and spread, but it gives Primaldon something that other variations do not have, longevity. Rest allows Primaldon switch in repeatedly vs mons like Entei and Arcanine and rest off the damage when needed to take on more hits. Sleep Talk keeps Primaldon from being completely useless while asleep but whether it will do something or not comes down to RNG. Earthquake is there to deal STAB damage which is still very strong even without investment due to the 396 attack stat which it will be utilizing to kill the common -ate users that it is designed to stop. Lava Plume is the secondary STAB that allows Primaldon to hit flying types, grass types, mons with Levitate and deal burns which rack up the chip damage against mons like Latias and force a Heal Bell use by Blissey. This spread gives allows you to take hits from Entei, Arcanine and other similar -ate users as best as possible, taking very minimal damage in the process and racking up damage since most -ate users don't usually run recovery.

Volcanion @ Lucarionite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Protect

The Burning Tank itself. Volcanion usually goes overlooked due to its most common set in Cameruptite being outclassed by Hoopa-Unbound, but I am using this dark horse differently. This set gives Volcanion some much needed speed while still adding to its already impressive offensive capabilities. Steam Eruption is the main attraction of Volcanion. A 110 base power, 95 accuracy, Adaptability boosted STAB move with a 30% chance to burn, this move is nothing to sneeze at. While this move is stopped by Red Orb users and eaten up by the likes of Blissey and Latias, it has the chance to burn Blissey and Latias thus adding some very important chip damage. But what about Red Orb users you ask, those mons are dealt with Volcanion's other two attacks Flamethrower and Earth Power. Flamethrower is the secondary Adaptability stab that doesn't have a miss chance and still hits very hard against Red Orb users even though they usually resist it due to the fact that it is boosted by the Harsh Sunshine that a Red Orb user brings. Earth Power allows you to smack most Red Orb users for super effective damage and fish for s.def drops if you are getting desperate vs Blissey. Protect allows you to get off the Mega Evolution giving you the speed stat of 311 you need to outpace threats like Entei, Adamant or pre-mega Arcanine and pre-mega Landorus-T. Max special attack and speed investment combined with a timid nature gives Volcanion the biggest chance to hit hard and not get killed before it can attack.

It's back

Thundurus @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Thundurus is a top tier threat in Mix and Mega and can run through your team if given the chance. Prankster Substitute allows you to get off the mega evolution relatively freely and screw over Hypnosis Gengar and status users. Thunder is the main STAB which hits exceptionally hard when coming off of the +65 s.atk boost from Pidgeotite combined with Thundurus' already very high s.atk stat, it doesn't even have the risk of missing with the No Guard addition from the stone. Focus Blast allows you to hit ground types for the equivalent of super effective Hidden Power Ice damage with the added boon of a 10% s.def drop chance. It also allows you to break through Blissey which can be a bit of a nuisance for this team. Nasty Plot skyrockets Thundurus' already amazingly high s.atk stat to unbelievable levels thus giving it the last bit of power it needs to plow through opposing teams and to combat Calm Mind Blissey. The spread used may seem a bit unusual but it is very crucial that this spread is used. 8 hp allows you to take 4 Stealth Rock switchins without dying while giving you 301 hp which makes Thundurus capable of surviving 3 seismic tosses from Blissey which can be game deciding.

Weavile @ Glalitite
Ability: Pressure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Glalite Weavile is the only mon with offensive priority on this team and thus exerts a ton of pressure especially against more offensively oriented teams. Fake Out allows basically free damage and when combined with another attack it can end up in a KO when without it there would not be one. It also racks up the chip damage which against mons with no recovery can be crucial and makes your opponent think twice about their lead or switchin. Feint is secondary priority for Weavile and serves the purpose of damaging opponents who rely on Protect to not die or take damage from Fake Out. Feint also has the perk of having the same priority as Extreme Speed, thus you may be able to add on more damage or kill an unsuspecting -ate user such as unboosted Zygarde. Frustration is an extremely strong move when under the influence of Refrigerate due to the 1.3 boost from the ability and the newly gained 1.5 STAB boost. When paired with Weavile's very high speed of 427 and the move that I will talk about next, it can heavily damage or outright sweep teams. Although Weavile is more effective against offense, it isn't complete dead weight against more bulkier teams either thanks to this last move. Swords Dance may seem like an odd choice due to Weavile's frailty and lack of chances to setup, but this gives you another breaker beyond burn chip damage + attacks to beat Blissey or other bulkier mons. It is difficult to find a chance to set up with Swords Dance, but you usually can do it against Blissey or during the switches that Weavile forces. Although it may be tempting, do not use Swords Dance wildly, if you use it at the wrong time you may die, be put in a bad position, or at least can end up with too little health to beat something like Seismic Toss Blissey. Weavile is one of only two breakers you have on your team, use it wisely.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Latias acts as the second of a three part defensive backbone. It gives the team a defensive answer to Primaldon and gives much needed hazard control. This spread may seem odd, but it does serve a purpose. It allows Latias to take two Aerilate Noivern Boombursts after Stealth Rock damage while still retaining as much physical bulk as possible in order to take on other physical attackers such as Landorus-T. Draco Meteor is the STAB move of choice which still comes off strong even with no investment due to its high base power and the 1.5 s.atk boost from Soul Dew while also keeping Latias from being complete deadweight while taunted. Toxic puts your opponent on a timer by racking up growing damage each turn which can be abused by other team members in Protect Volcanion, Substitute Thundurus and Fake Out Weavile. Roost is essential and standard recovery in order to keep longevity and rack up poison damage. Defog gives important hazard control and allows you to get an evasion drop on your opponent thus making sure that Draco Meteor and Toxic will land.

Rip no Arceus Fairy gif.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Judgment
- Earth Power/Toxic

*Record scratch* *Freeze Frame* Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation. Gyarados. As you can see this team gets 6-0d by Charizardite X or Sceptilite Gyarados if it gets a DD up. I literally made this last mon Arceus-Fairy because it was immune to Outrage and can kill it with Judgment while having Stealth Rock in its learnset since I didn't have a setter yet outside of Primaldon and that was set to be Rest-Talk. Recover gives Arceus longevity which can allow it to switch in and take hits more times if needed. Judgment is the strong Gyarados killing STAB which reaches 120 bp when combined with the Pixie Plate boost. Earth Power hits resists for decent damage and can kill off annoying mons like Red Orb Raikou. Toxic can also be used but you will be useless against steel types but allows Arceus to join Latias in putting your opponent on a timer, what move you end up using is up to you. This set is actually the recommended Smogdex set for Stealth Rock Arceus-Fairy so it runs the suggested EV spread. It's probably inefficient in Mix and Mega but it gives you the needed physical defense while keeping 290 speed which allows you to outspeed unboosted Charizardite X Gyarados so that's a plus.

I fought a lot of good battles against good opponents on my climb which you can see within this hide tag.

But there you have it, another good team to use. Idk if adding to the sample team list is still a thing but if you want you can add this team to the list. The importable is below.
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume

Volcanion @ Lucarionite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Protect

Thundurus @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Weavile (F) @ Glalitite
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Judgment
- Earth Power

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I figured with ORAS wrapping up and SM right around the corner (despite not getting any new Megas) it was time to share my most successful and reliable team.

Tipping The Scales: A Balanced Outlook

Slowbronite Florges was something that looked very interesting as a bulky win con that had the added ability of a spammable STAB in Moonblast while being able to keep itself healthy with Synthesis and Aromatherapy.

Next up, I knew I was going to need hazard control and very solid pivots so I added the infamous SkarmBliss core.

I knew now I needed a solid Altarianite Entei check that wasn't crippled by burn or set up on, so I went with defensive Primal Groudon.

While I had a solid defensive backbone and a win con, I lacked a way to speed up the game versus other potentially defensive teams, so I added a Stallbreaker Ampharosite Mew.

Lastly, I needed a solid option vs. offense in case my defensive backbone gets overwhelmed, so I added DD 3 Atks Salamencite Gyarados.

Florges @ Slowbronite
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

As I said in the hide tags above, this looked like a very interesting mon as, while it is "slow" by metagame standards, it served as a really bulky win con that couldn't be critted. The fact that it has a very spammable STAB move and the combination of Synthesis, Aromatherapy, and Calm Mind allows it to take on more defensive teams with ease and can battle against offense that doesn't boost such as Altarianite Entei or Pidgeotite Keldeo.

Skarmory @ Blue Orb
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic / Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Next up, I added part one of the deadliest defensive core in Mix and Mega: Skarmory. With its ability to shut down nearly every -AteSpeed user, it can provide a lot for defensive and offensive teams alike. I am constantly torn between Toxic and Whirlwind as Toxic allows me to cripple something like Primal Groudon that may try and use Thunder or set up vs. me while Whirlwind is a more reliable answer to Steel-type Pinsirite users such as Cobalion, Metagross, and Klinklang.

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Shadow Ball
- Seismic Toss

The second part of the deadly SkarmBliss core, Sablenite Blissey is the epitome of defensive pivots in Mix and Mega. Shadow Ball in my opinion is near standard to run on Sablenite Blissey as you need to have some way to take down Gengar with ease as Pidgeotite variants get Hypnosis bounced back and Mega Gengar can't effectively trap it with Shadow Ball as it has to Sub up to avoid the 2HKO and as such it cannot click Perish Song. Seismic Toss is also nice with Shadow Ball as you can hit everything else for consistent damage. Stealth Rock since Florges has cleric support in Aromatherapy.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Roar / Sleep Talk

I went with Primal Groudon as I needed another check to -AteSpeed users as Skarmory is often prepared for by most good teams for example Entei running Will-o-Wisp or opposing Primal Groudon running Thunder. For this reason, the defensive set was the way to go. Rest gives PDon the recovery it so desires and with clerical support from Florges, it has the option of forgoing Sleep Talk and using Roar (which should be used if you lack Whirlwind on Skarmory).

Mew @ Ampharosite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic

Ampharosite Mew was added as a very reliable stallbreaker and before the Baton Pass ban helped this team take on the plethora of Sablenite setup Mews that were running amok back in September. It is still reliable as ever as for some reason, not a lot of people expect this and as such it can get off a free Wisp against something like Pinsirite Cobalion and other Steel-types that can avoid Toxic from Skarmory or PDon's STABs such as Blue Orb Skarmory. Psychic is there mainly to take advantage of the +50 Special Attack Ampharosite gives and allows Mew to hit Keldeo and Gengar hard.

Gyarados @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Earthquake

Lastly, Salamencite Gyarados was more of a filler at first, but it has saved me many times with its amazing pre-Mega ability, Intimidate, which allows it to soft check things and provides it with amazing setup opportunities versus a lot of teams. With Dragon Dance and the new bulk given by Salamencite, Gyarados becomes a very potent threat against offense that may overwhelm my overall defensive team. Waterfall and Return are good enough coverage on their own, but I went with EQ since it is mainly filler anyways and I hate having to Sub up and not having the passive recovery of Leftovers and other support moves, such as Taunt, don't really fit well as it still can't taunt Sablenite users.

And there is my most successful Mix and Mega team. I will admit, Mix and Mega has and will always have a special place in my heart as it is the main reason I got into Other Metagames as a whole back in February (I always lurked before). Overall, while Sun and Moon aren't giving us any new Megas, I will be happy to see how the Gen 7 meta develops with the new Pokemon.​
Florges @ Slowbronite
Ability: Flower Veil
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Skarmory @ Blue Orb
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Iron Head

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Shadow Ball
- Seismic Toss

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Roar

Mew @ Ampharosite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic

Gyarados @ Salamencite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Earthquake

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll get these added to the sample team section in this thread and the general OM archive.

Just an aside that I noticed from leading Monotype over the last ~year. We saw a pretty nice uptick in the number of players we were getting around the time I encouraged our users to post good sample teams in the RMT forum. If you've taken the time to do a nice write up for a team (like the last two posts), you should cross-post it to the RMT forum!

Among other things, this gets the word out to the greater Smogon community about the awesome metagames we have over here in OMs. Many will never consider playing a new meta without it being put right in front of them and being handed competitive teams. RMT is where a large number of people go for teams, so we want to represent ourselves well over there.

Unless it's contested, I'm going to be putting a dank meme to rest with a new clause.

Mega Maniac: A pokemon may not mega evolve twice in a battle.

Sorry guys, no Smargle with a stone and dragon ascent or Mega Rayquaza with Altarianite!
It makes sense for balance, but I think that from a mechanics veiwpoint it doesn't make sense. You can mega evolve MMX into MMY, or the charizards into one another. However, with that as our precedent it would make sense to instead have the second mega evolution override the first; ie, if mega Rayquaza evolves with Altarianite it becomes regular Rayquaza upgraded by altarianite, just like the standard mega boosts don't stack.

Hey guys, even though the Meta is soon to change heavily with the upcoming release of Sun and Moon, I figured I might as well share my team with you all.

I reached number 8 on the ladder with this team easily breaking 1600 ladder points, and find it very effective.

Speedy Hyper-Offence: Speed + Huge Offensive Power Creates Less Need for Bulk.

Noivern @ Salamencite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute

Noivern functions as my general lead, to do lots of damage with that STAB Aerialate Boomburst and can 2HKO most neutral damage mons if not 1HKO, and can outspeed most mons before mega evolution. I will never play Noivern if I see a Weavile as Weavile commonly runs x4 Fake Out for easy IHKO. If I see a common suicide lead mon such as Deoxys-defense or Klef I will often opt to lead with Lando-T as I can set up with SD very easily without much risk of enough damage to get killed by an atespeed.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
Groudon-Primal is the bulk of the team, being able to switch into a water type move or a pixspeed easily. A mostly standard Pdon set, but with Thunder to surprise those Blue Orb Skarmony users who try to switch in to remove Desolate Land.

Landorus-Therian @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
Landorus-Therian is the most dangerous sweeper of the team, with Blazikenite being able to rack up huge speed and STAB EQ that destroys all - especially with a swords dance. Watch out for Weavile again as Fake Out has x4 weakness, and feint breaks protect. Getting walled by Blissey? SD up to get over that 50% recovery from wish/soft boiled.

Gengar @ Pidgeotite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Gengar is a great mon with great speed and great offensive capabilities. No Guard provides capabilities with powerful attacks to provide great Special Attack coverage. As Pidgeotite gives +65 special attack, Gengar can outspeed most mons and land hypnosis before forcing a switch in or huge damage. If you want to use Hex instead of Shadow Ball it can be very effective as you can get the double damage from the sleep status condition.

Entei @ Altarianite
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bulldoze
- Return
- Extreme Speed
Entei is your average ate-speeder, with Bulldoze to take on PDon if you feel tricky for speed loss or Red Orb Raikou for x4 damage. Flare Blitz gives more damage in oppose to Sacred Fire at the price of some recoil, but you will be using Extreme Speed or Return most of the time. Use to counter Weavile as can hurt your team.

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
Cobalion is the secondary sweeper of the team, with great speed and typing being able to take out many threats. Quick attack can provide some relief against Blazikenite mons and Iron Head can work well against those Fairy mons. Swords Dance is a reliable set up to take on Blissey and other bulky Water Mons that Lando will have more trouble with.

But there it is, my team. Even though Sun and Moon will be coming out with new Mons, there will be no new Megas and we're all excited to see how the new meta will play out.

First post on the forums, may there be many more!

- Durza

Noivern @ Salamencite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Toxic
- Roost
- Substitute

Entei @ Altarianite
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bulldoze
- Return
- Extreme Speed

Landorus-Therian @ Blazikenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Gengar @ Pidgeotite
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Cobalion @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

No! Scpinion is handling it nicely now and I'll further go over it when posting the next thread! Spam them as much as you'd like
Ok then.

This is a team I built that has been very successful. I don't ladder much, but I got somewhere in the 1500's with this team. No replays because I didn't save any previously and I'm lazy now.

Started out with Lucarionite Terrakion since I wanted to use it. It's also very strong. Next I added Glalitite Weavile because it's nice against offense while Terrak can beat fat stuff and I also love using it. I was looking weak to Atespeed and Latiasite Heatran deals with it well while also providing rocks. Next I wanted some sort of bulky pivot and Sablenite Mew is a very good wall that can gain momentum with U-turn. Next I added a Pidgeotite Keldeo because I wanted a good special attacker and it was something else that can kill the SkarmBliss core and it is a water resist, while not too good of a water check. Lastly, I wanted a dangerous set up sweeper that wasn't weak to Espeed and Primal Groudon is as good as they come, while also giving a better water check. It's nice when people expect it to be a bulky set and you just set up and sweep them. Keldeo wasn't doing too much because it performs a very similar role to Terrak and I was deathly weak to Gengar, so I switched it for Pidgeotite Tornadus-t as it can outspeed Gengar and Sleep Talk makes it a pretty good check.

Here is the import because I'm a noob and don't know how to do the Show/Hide thing.

Terrakion @ Lucarionite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack

Weavile @ Glalitite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Low Kick

Heatran @ Latiasite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Mew @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Soft-Boiled
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus-Therian @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Possible Changes:
  • The last move on Terrak can be whatever. Most of the time you only ever use CC and Edge anyways. I have tried out both Rock Slide and Rock Polish. I'm sticking with Quick Attack however because it has been helpful a couple times.
  • Mew is a pretty flexible mon. The EVS just give me a jump point in defense with a bit of speed creep and some SpDef, giving it great mixed bulk to compliment the Sablenite, but feel free to change them. As for the moves, Foul Play might seem weird but it has been so helpful for me. U-turn is very much needed/recommended so I wouldn't change that. When I had Keldeo on the team, I had Heal Bell over Defog as it allowed me to play very aggressive against fat stuff such as Chansey with my Terrak and the others, but now that there is a rock weak mon I have Defog. If you feel comfortable without Defog, feel free to change it to Heal Bell or another move
  • Tornadus-T could run something else, but Sleep Talk is extremely helpful against Gengar since it kind of bodies the team.
  • Groudon's EVs are just to live a +2 EQ from Zygarde or avoid the 2HKO from unboosted Zygarde, then max attack and the rest in speed. You can change it but I highly recommend keeping a good amount of bulk on it. I also highly recommend keeping the moveset because it is so good and I have gotten so many sweeps with this thing (definitely the MVP of the team for me) but if you really want to I guess you can change SD to another move. If you don't want to miss you can use Earthquake or Rock Slide but the power is appreciated.

Last edited:
You know what? With all of you posting teams and whatnot, why not post my own (quite nonstandard) team that I used to power through most of Mix and Mega. First, a note of caution: this team is not for beginners. If you play with this team wrong, it will let you down. But if you can play well, it can very well devastate a team. With that, I present to you a team that peaked around Top 10 and gave me Genesect reqs... (minus the Venusaur)

Tyrant Triad​
An offense/balance team

Empoleon @ Sceptilite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Cobalion @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Tyranitar @ Pinsirite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 172 HP / 112 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Return
- Dragon Dance

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Venusaur @ Blue Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

Gyarados @ Salamencite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Substitute

This is a team that began its life around time that Mix and Mega was first OMotM. At that time, I was using stuff like Aggronite Vespiquen (shockingly good, actually) and Pidgeotite Mismagius. Eventually, it settled into something far scarier, and only got more so as I poured more ideas into it.
The Empoleon is my one and only Defogger, and also happens to be very offensive. Water/Steel is a fantastic typing as is, which completely makes people go nuts when you reveal the Sceptilite on them. It turns a Thundurus or Zapdos that would have KOed you into a KO of your own. While its bulk leaves something to be desired for long battles, it gets its job done. Also, you can probably tell if they have Altarianite based on if they send in an Arcanine or Entei afterwards. You might want Earthquake over Grass Knot to deal with Red Orb Raikou far faster.

The Cobalion was something that I came up with at the beginning of Mix and Mega. It serves as the physical lynchpin of the team, and neutralizes threats that have become too strong (besides Blazikenite Landorus + Excadrill), and paralyzes them. It can also take an ungodly amount of punishment before going down. It's a pretty solid stop to both types of Zygarde after they Mega Evolve. Sacred Sword is there to prevent stat losses, and Stone Edge hits cocky flying types and Volcarona. In addition, Weavile usually does jack to this, so you're usually safe sending it in as a response.

Tyranitar... is a monster, and the first of the three tyrants. Here's the beef: you send it in on a foe that wants to either Earthquake you or Focus Blast you, and then you Mega Evolve, and either Dragon Dance, or simply smack them in the face. Sandstorm gives you pretty nuts special bulk for a sweeper. Also, it's the best answer to Blissey on this team. Works great, but be careful about predictions and being counterswept by Ditto.

Xerneas is also a sweeper, and is the second of the three tyrants. It's underused in general in this environment, and it functions pretty much the same as in Ubers: Geomancy, and watch the bodies pile up in front of you. Aromatherapy is there to heal any inconvenient paralysis or burns on the team, enabling more pressure from either Tyranitar or Gyarados.

Venusaur. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: it looks really strange. But it's there as my fire Pixispeed check. It does get bopped by Pinsirite, but it takes on the Faries (and Primal Groudon, if you're careful) very well. It can also Toxic any Blisseys or Primal Groudons attempting to switch in, making their lives miserable.

Gyarados is also a monster, and is the third of three tyrants. Return hits like a truck, and is a great addition as Gyarados's dual STAB, which is enough to sweep an Ill-prepared team after a DD. The bulk from Salamancite + Intimidate makes it particularly nuts, and thus doubles as an Entei (and sometimes Arcanine) check. Substitute is there to stop Primal Groudon and other walls with status) from having its way with you, and the rest is fairly obvious. You could run a bulky set if you like, but I prefer outspeeding other sweepers, and just smashing them after one DD.

Ditto is a big one, what with this team having three sweepers. Cobalion can safely stop Tyranitar if they fail to predict the switch, but it otherwise becomes a big problem.
Blazikenite Landorus can get the team swept if you don't play your cards right. Thankfully, Tyranitar and Gyarados can both bail you out of a rough spot.
Lucarionite Terrakion is the number one threat to the team, and can heftily damage anything on the team, if not outright KO it. Xerneas is just about the only answer the team has to it.
Electric types such as Thundurus are threatening before Empoleon megas, but quickly becomes manageable when it does.

Naturally, the team can be made better, but I wanted it with my own flair, which is why there's no Entei or Zygarde in there.

Last edited:
Not sure if greatest idea or not but I was wondering if we the people could maybe suggest fake megastones to be a part of the meta? maybe if not everyone likes it add a variation of mix and mega with fakestones? like for example: goodrite (goodra) Poison type, regenerator, 20/20/30/30/0? just an example but ya know. had this idea because I really want a regenerator mega stone to give things without reliable recovery something. might prove to be broken on fat things with recovery though.

Not sure if greatest idea or not but I was wondering if we the people could maybe suggest fake megastones to be a part of the meta? maybe if not everyone likes it add a variation of mix and mega with fakestones? like for example: goodrite (goodra) Poison type, regenerator, 20/20/30/30/0? just an example but ya know. had this idea because I really want a regenerator mega stone to give things without reliable recovery something. might prove to be broken on fat things with recovery though.
I'd say no.

Aside from the new meta changes coming with Sun and Moon, these "fakestones" would likely be useless or overpowered in compared to other stones in the meta.

For one, who would decide these changes and at that point doesn't it just make it a limited version of BH?

Secondly, if you added fakestones then the game would be adjusting to the meta rather than the meta being a concept from the game, if you see what I'm saying.

okay, that's fine. but it was an idea, and I like it. maybe sometime there could be a mix and mega with fake stones on another server like rom or something.

I'm also interested, will we ever get Usage stats for Mix and Mega for this gen? With Sun and Moon coming out we might never know stats for this Meta, even though we can probably assume it / figure it out.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the usage info, it'll be very helpful. A few things of note from those stats...

- Mew, Raikou (!), Excadrill (!!), Mega Kangaskhan (?), and Cobalion all have the highest Viability Ceiling, at 91. There are several others at 90, including Primal Groudon.

- If Mew wasn't terrifying already, look at that move usage. And considering that this was from the era of the Baton Pass, it has even more variety now.
Interestingly, Xerneas is Mew's best check/counter!

-Gyarados has no checks and counters in its section. This means that it's weaknesses are covered by its used Mega Stones incredibly easily, meaning you might lose a mon (or the game) trying to find out what stone it's holding.

-I see that my Blazikenite Cobalion set caught on a little bit. The only counter/check listed for Cobalion is Thundurus, which while good, is covered by Blazikenite Stone Edge. Cobalion is thus in a similar boat as Gyarados.

-Those Genesect statistics make an incredibly strong argument for why it's currently banned. Techno Blast too stronk.

-...Xerneas has nothing as one of its used moves. That's delightfully dumb.

-I thought Mega Rayquaza was banned. Where is this usage coming from...? (Or is it just actual normal Rayquaza?)

-Nothing is Emolga's most popular move, even more hilariously.

I've found some interesting observations from playing with random Pokémon on here. I'll share the observations in a bit...

Thanks for the usage info, it'll be very helpful. A few things of note from those stats...

- Mew, Raikou (!), Excadrill (!!), Mega Kangaskhan (?), and Cobalion all have the highest Viability Ceiling, at 91. There are several others at 90, including Primal Groudon.

- If Mew wasn't terrifying already, look at that move usage. And considering that this was from the era of the Baton Pass, it has even more variety now.
Interestingly, Xerneas is Mew's best check/counter!

-Gyarados has no checks and counters in its section. This means that it's weaknesses are covered by its used Mega Stones incredibly easily, meaning you might lose a mon (or the game) trying to find out what stone it's holding.

-I see that my Blazikenite Cobalion set caught on a little bit. The only counter/check listed for Cobalion is Thundurus, which while good, is covered by Blazikenite Stone Edge. Cobalion is thus in a similar boat as Gyarados.

-Those Genesect statistics make an incredibly strong argument for why it's currently banned. Techno Blast too stronk.

-...Xerneas has nothing as one of its used moves. That's delightfully dumb.

-I thought Mega Rayquaza was banned. Where is this usage coming from...? (Or is it just actual normal Rayquaza?)

-Nothing is Emolga's most popular move, even more hilariously.

I've found some interesting observations from playing with random Pokémon on here. I'll share the observations in a bit...
I feel like Blazikenite Cobalion is just a inferior Blazikenite Lando-T in every way except speed which Blazikenite will make up for anything.

Time for some good ol' comparisons:

TYPING:
Lando-T: Ground/Flying
Immune to:
Resists:
Weak to:
Very weak to:
Cobalion:
Immune to:
Strongly resists:
Resists:
Weak to:
In a meta where Ground, Fire, and Fighting moves are very prevalent, Cobalion is weak to them while Lando provides a STAB Weakness against those types, while being completely immune to Electric and Ground.

HP: Lando-T and Cobalion both have nearly identical HP stats so won't bother going into it.

ATTACK: Lando runs an attack stat base at 145, far superior to Cobalion's at 90. Lando can run a SD and be able to OHKO most mons in the tier.

DEFENSES: Lando runs an Def stat base at 90 and Special Defense at 80, to Cobalion's at 129 and 72 respectively.
Both are mediocre level bulk but Cobalion's defense stat will provide a better defense against that extremespeed, and other physical moves. HOWEVER I don't think this makes up for Cobalion's mediocre typing.

SPEED: Lando runs an Speed stat base at 91, far less to Cobalion's at 108. HOWEVER: Since we are assuming Blazikenite on both Mons, speed is not a relevant factor as both will outspeed any other mons without the same mega stone after a few turns.

Conclusion: While both are great mons, I feel that due to typing and attack stats Lando-T is better suited with the Blazikenite.

Hang on, are you sure Fighting's a common type that's thrown around (besides Pidgeotite Focus Blast, of course)? I'm pretty sure Altarianite and Pinsirite have something to say about that. Fire and Ground are incredibly common, though. ...But so is Water. I'm through with saying Landorus-T is bad, because it obviously isn't, given that enormous offensive pressure of the 145 attack stat + Mega Stone boost. (I still find the speed tier to be disappointing... hence the Blazikenite being so nice to it) Cobalion will also be using Swords Dance to break down teams, and doesn't have to worry too much about things flying over its EQs, because it will usually be using either Iron Head/Sacred Sword anyways, which hits quite a lot neutrally.

Actually, both of these mons are scary with both Pinsirite and Blaikenite. The difference is that with Cobalion, people will assume the former stone (because it's pretty darn incredible), and with Landorus, it's a pretty even split. I think the main difference in their Blazkenite performance is that Cobalion's far easier to get a sweep started (which is a combination of the bulk and deception), and Landorus is far harder to stop. Well, besides Weavile existing. Weavile stops those sweeps cold. Edgequake coverage was always hard to deal with defensively... Lando-T may as well be the better Blazikenite sweeper.... but it's not quite as versatile as Cobalion.

Hang on, are you sure Fighting's a common type that's thrown around (besides Pidgeotite Focus Blast, of course)? I'm pretty sure Altarianite and Pinsirite have something to say about that. Fire and Ground are incredibly common, though. ...But so is Water. I'm through with saying Landorus-T is bad, because it obviously isn't, given that enormous offensive pressure of the 145 attack stat + Mega Stone boost. (I still find the speed tier to be disappointing... hence the Blazikenite being so nice to it) Cobalion will also be using Swords Dance to break down teams, and doesn't have to worry too much about things flying over its EQs, because it will usually be using either Iron Head/Sacred Sword anyways, which hits quite a lot neutrally.

Actually, both of these mons are scary with both Pinsirite and Blaikenite. The difference is that with Cobalion, people will assume the former stone (because it's pretty darn incredible), and with Landorus, it's a pretty even split. I think the main difference in their Blazkenite performance is that Cobalion's far easier to get a sweep started (which is a combination of the bulk and deception), and Landorus is far harder to stop. Well, besides Weavile existing. Weavile stops those sweeps cold. Edgequake coverage was always hard to deal with defensively... Lando-T may as well be the better Blazikenite sweeper.... but it's not quite as versatile as Cobalion.
I can agree with this. I use Pinsirite Cobalion myself and find myself getting many many sweeps with it. I would use Blazikenite on Cobalion if it wasn't for the type change, but with Psychic Terr mons I plan to build into my team I might actually switch the stones on Lando and Cobal.

In regards to fighting types, I see Lopunite Mianshao quite a lot lately, find it actually dangerous. But you're right, fighting is a rare type.

Pinsirite Cobalion is better than Pinsirite Landorus-T... But when it comes to Blazikenite Landorus-T outclassed pretty much every other pokemon. It's bulkier(intimidate and natural special bulk), it's stronger (by a ton!) and it's typing is better. Sure it's not without it's problems - but I don't think Cobalion is that good with anything other than Altarianite and Pinsirite.

I'm sorry? Cobalion is only as good as it is because of how great the Pinsirite set is. Blazikenite Cobalion is decidedly mediocre; the only -ate it beats is refridgerate, while Pinsirite Entei comes in for free unless it's Stone Edge. The thought of a lure is decent, but most of what Blazikenite beats is already defeated by Pinsirite. Landorus, meanwhile, has Blazikenite, Salamencite (and pinsirite but you generally save that), Altarianite, Lucarionite, and Agrronite. While Cobalion is better than any given set, it's not much better than blazikenite and there are so many others.

Speaking of better, can we:
Move Landorus-T to A+
It's really good, and the current rank vastly undersells this massive metagame threat.
Additionally, Move Weavile to A or A-. We discussed this before, and no one really had a counterargument- it's just not that good.

I'm sorry? Cobalion is only as good as it is because of how great the Pinsirite set is. Blazikenite Cobalion is decidedly mediocre; the only -ate it beats is refridgerate, while Pinsirite Entei comes in for free unless it's Stone Edge. The thought of a lure is decent, but most of what Blazikenite beats is already defeated by Pinsirite. Landorus, meanwhile, has Blazikenite, Salamencite (and pinsirite but you generally save that), Altarianite, Lucarionite, and Agrronite. While Cobalion is better than any given set, it's not much better than blazikenite and there are so many others.

Speaking of better, can we:
Move Landorus-T to A+
It's really good, and the current rank vastly undersells this massive metagame threat.
Additionally, Move Weavile to A or A-. We discussed this before, and no one really had a counterargument- it's just not that good.
It also beats Pixie-ate, as Iron Head is SE against Faries. (Though Pinsirite also does that)
Really, Blazikenite Cobalion ought to be using Stone Edge... usually over Protect, as there's actually quite a few mons that it can take a hit from easily. Entei, Arcanine, and Thundurus are just too large of threats to be sweeping without it. (The latter of which ends up beating Cobalion the most)

Some interesting observations can be gleamed by looking at the Mega Stone usage for Cobalion...
Pinsirite 75.933%
Lucarionite 6.420%
Blazikenite 5.058%
Metagrossite 4.970%
Lopunnite 1.156%
Altarianite 1.153%
Mewtwonite X 1.030%
Other 4.281%

The first place is naturally Pinsirite, for reasons already went over in the thread. But the next few place are where it gets interesting. The second place is actually Lucarionite, which implies that Cobalion has a STAB move worth using. And that, without a doubt, is Fighting. This makes the reasoning about Cobalion's other usage more clear. It not only functions as a great Pinsirite mon, but can also hold another stone to beat Steel and Normal mons much easier. Granted, Pinsirite Cobalion often carries Close Combat, but it's now off-STAB hanks to its type change.

But you know... I think we have a few stories far more interesting to tackle.
Excadrill and Mega Kangaskhan.
This is the Mega Stone usage of the former...
Blazikenite 24.090%
Lucarionite 13.337%
Pinsirite 11.076%
Metagrossite 8.905%
Diancite 7.644%
Absolite 7.393%
Lopunnite 5.995%

...and it's a pretty stark contrast to what the Viability Rankings say about it. It's clear we need to define what Excadrill has over some of the other Ground and Steel types. Clearly, there's the Rapid Spin potential (which about half of them are doing), and probably some good offense in there as well.

And then there's Kangaskhan. Who is clearly a revenger/cleaner in this meta, given how Fake Out and Sucker Punch are its two most popular moves. But how good is it, really? We should have a discussion on this, and on how much Kangaskhan will change when the upcoming thread comes up.

Also, I agree with Landorus-T rising. It can clearly sweep teams, and is highly pressing to more defensive teams, especially when Skarmory is gone.

I disagree with Weavile dropping(maybe). It places a ton of pressure on offense by its lonesome, despite being very weak to priority. It is one of several reasons Dragons struggle in this meta, and it takes out many of the other frailer top threats (and Blissey) with relative ease, thanks to having a fantastic speed tier. In gen 7, it will likely drop, thanks to Dazzling becoming an actual ability.

Last edited:
My general thought about the rankings:

Gengar to A+ Rank: Honestly doesn't have enough bulk and I don't find it all that good even though I use it in my team.
Lando-T to AT LEAST A+ Rank: IMO best mon in the game, doesn't deserve to be classed in the same class as even Hoopa-U
Blue Orb Skarmony to A or A-: 100% a meh mon. Destroyed by
Weavile to A or A-: Not that good, as what QT said. I have no trouble with him even though my team is theoretically weak to it.
Starmie AND Milotic to B (or B+): Underrated mons that I have trouble with on occasion, especially with stall sets.

Keldo to K for Keldo: Worst mon in tier no arguement :^)

Other thoughts: I never see Kanga, and don't think I ever have. Whats all this hype with him?

I've never really seen him either. It's really just an oddity about the usage rankings. I just don't know what to think about it. Maybe it's just good at destroying low ladder, and that's it.
But I think it's me wanting to take some of these mons to their limits.

(More autonomous) thoughts:
Skarmory either needs to find a new niche, or drop to A. People have largely prepared for its presence, and Zapdos and Thudurus both shock it down and/or take advantage of its relative passiveness towards Electric types.
Lando-T is too specially frail to be an S-rank, particularly when a fair few of the top mons are Water types, and a bunch of good and niche mons alike can simply choose to Levitate over Earthquake as a viable option.
Gourgeist: Blue Orb set might be situationally good, particularly for hard countering Primal Groudon, but Trevenant might be better at the role in general due to being a better attacker, and might deserve a ranking on the VR.
Miltoic definitely needs to rise. Both the Aggronite and Sablenite sets are fairly potent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)