Monotype OU - Team Rock-it

Team Rock-it - Monotype OU

This is my first attempt at making a Monotype team, or in fact, any competitive team. I'm working on it for a Monotype tournament I'll be in soon. One of the rules is that we can't use Stealth Rock. I've tested this team out, and refined it based on my experiences using them in Pokemon Showdown. I'm now looking for advice. So, without further ado, here is my team.

Sturdy McSweeperson

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Heavy Slam
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

It's this guys job to deal the damage to a pokemon who is acting particularly annoying to the team. Aggron is almost guarenteed to get at least one attack before he dies, due to Sturdy, and he makes it count, usually meaning he becomes his own revenge killer, holding at 1 HP. His other use is to stop nasty Dragon Dancers/Sword Dancers/Calm Mind stat modifiers, be they a sweeper or a wall, with Dragon Tail. This forces the opponent to either attack before finishing the dance, or take a bit of pain and lose the fruits of their labour, and with Sturdy in play, even attacking does not guarentee that they will get off without taking a hit.

Choicy McSweeperson

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Due to the large number of Focus Sashs out there, Tyranitar's job is to bring about the Sandstorm, and kill the enemy in one hit. I have given him a large amount of coverage to deal with most types of teams. High coverage on a choice scarf means that, whatever Mono team I'm against, I can usually pick something that is going to be effective, if not super effective, against any pokemon I encounter, and hopefully attack them first. He is sometimes used just to summon the storm, then swap out for another pokemon (especially if the enemy is a Water type, allowing a nice swap in Cradily).

Contrary McTankerson

Shuckle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SAtk
- Power Split
- Rest
- Infestation
- Shell Smash

A somewhat standard Contrary Shell Smash Shuckle. I chose Infestation over Toxic because otherwise Shuckle would be useless against anyone with a Poison or Steel type in their team. The IVs are specifically low for Atk and SpAtk so that Power Split will have a maximum effect. I focused Def with the Bold Nature because Physical attacks seem more common than Special, at least in my experience. The Sitrus Berry replaced what was originally Leftovers, and a Binding Band before that. I took out the Binding Band because it seemed to have very little benefit, in terms of damage dealt, but meant that I had much less survivability. I took Leftovers out because the tournament rules dictated we couldn't have any item duplicates. As for why I removed Leftovers from Shuckle, and not Cradily, the reason is that, once the Shell Smash setup is complete, HP isn't really an issue for me. The surprise of the Sitrus berry allows me an extra Shell Smash or two before resting, meaning I'm more likely to survive the 3 turns of rest before I complete the set.

Watery McCounterson

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Toxic

This pokemon is specifically here to deal with water attacks. As one of the main weaknesses for Rock, I felt this was the perfect pokemon to have in my team in order to deal with them. It's also my only Sp Atk pokemon, set to deal with Def walls that I can't beat with Physical Sweepers alone. This tends to be used to stall. It's very effective against any pokemon unable to deal more than 50% damage to Cradily a turn, thanks to recover, and is hilarious if they can't even deal 25%, as is the case with a lot of walls. The Toxic is there to take down aforementioned walls, and Giga Drain gets a nice power boost if I happen to have swapped into a water attack.

Firsty McSuisweep

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

As one of the fastest pokemon available, with an Attack stat that is not to be taken lightly, this pokemon is the ideal pokemon to send out first. If the first pokemon the enemy sends out is meant to be used to set up, be that through status moves, spikes, or any other form of non-attack, Taunt gets launched before they get a chance to, wasting their first turn. Rock Slide has the nice STAB bonus, with a chance to flinch, and Aerial Ace/Earthquake provide coverage in case the enemy is resistant to Rock, or weak to Flying/Ground. Focusing on the speed with the Jolly nature.

Rapid McSpinnerson

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Finally, a pokemon meant to deal with anything left behind by Aerodactyl's sweep. If the enemy manages to put something down, or does their setting up after Aerodactyl is dead, this guy can deal with it. With a Lum Berry to negate the effects of swapping into Toxic Spikes, or just to stop paralysis to slow it down, it clears the area. Focus on speed with the Jolly nature to make sure it gets the Rapid Spin off. It doesn't do much damage, but it has a nice Toxic move to make sure that it does something, and Aqua Jet to revenge kill and low HP enemies (usually those left behind by Aggron). The HP EVs are there to makes sure it has some survivability.

Summary
So that's my team. I've found it particularly difficult to deal with teams that have lots of tricky abilities, especially pokemon with Magic Guard who use Flame Orb tricks. My main weaknesses seem to be Steel and Ground. Any advice? What do you think? Any questions?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)