Monotype Player of the Week #12: Azelea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Acast

Hey everyone and welcome to the twelfth installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week I have a former Monotype room moderator and a great player in general; Azelea! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Azelea

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
- Hi, I'm just a regular student (who aspires to get to med-school someday) from a small town in Finland. I have been playing pokemon in PS! for few years now but i also like playing other games such as Fifa and NBA2K. My Hobbies include watching sports, listening to music and working out, but lately i have been playing a lot of Volleyball and Basketball with friends. Besides monotype i also love to play OU, RU and PU.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
- This is really a hard one for me. Piplup was my first starter ever but i have always loved Umbreon and Cyndaquil. I guess i have to go with Umbreon but if you ask me tomorrow the answer might be different

How did you get your username?
- One day i wanted to irritate my friend From Pallet Town in the monoroom. So i made a similar name to his, From Azelea Town (I found out few days after regging it that i had misspelled Azalea, and also that Pallet had registered it). I got pretty fond of the name and used it a lot until people started calling me FAT. After that i just sticked to the Azelea part.

How did you get into Monotype?
- Honestly i have no clue anymore since it has been like more than 2.5 years. I guess i found the idea of being a gym leader really cool and enjoyed the mono ladder. The community has always been really chill too and you can find friends here really easily. The Leagues and the people are probably the reason why i am still playing monotype.

What do you feel you're most known for?
- I think i made myself a name as a Grass user on the ladder in early XY but new people don't know that anymore. I guess i'm most known for playing in both versions of the Monotype Premier League and for being a EX-Staff member.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
- In mono its probably Keldeo or Azumarill since i love using Water, Fighting and Fairy in this meta. Outside of mono it has to be Mega-Venusaur though.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
Water is my favorite type to use in Mono since it has so many viable playstyles such as HO, Balance, Semi-Stall, Stall. I don't think any other type offers as much variety as Water does. My overall favorite type? i guess Ghost..? when thinking about it i don't really have one.

What playstyle do you prefer?
- Fat Balance and Stall. Stall water also has probably the best win-rate in monotype so i don't really get why people don't use it more. I wish there would be other Stall options than just water though. Hopefully we can get better defensive pokemon in Sun & Moon

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
- I wish i could contribute more but due to school i havent been doing that anymore after stepping down. Its nice to know that if i feel that something is wrong in the metagame i can easily make a post about it to the forums or talk to a council member.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
- There are a lot of people who i still to this day look up to. Tesla in his prime was amazing. PK-Kaiser, Arifeen and Wyn were so dominant on the ladder that i think they just switched places at the number 1 spot for like 12 months. Sabella, Balto and Anttya were also people that really impressed me.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
- I think TheThorn might be one of the best new builders in this meta and is pretty underrated as a player. Chras had a bad MPL run but is still a very solid player.

What advice would you give to newer players?
- Practise makes everyone better and you always learn more from playing. Being surrounded by good players also helps so joining a league or a clan is important if you want to become a great player. Having someone Mentor/Tutor you is good too. I think the Tutoring program is dead atm..? but i hope someone can bring it back.

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?
- New pokemon of course! i just hope they don't screw up the game mechanics with the Z moves.

Why are you so tiny? ;w;
- idk ._.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Recover

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
- Transform
-
-

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

This seems like a regular fat balance normal mono but it has a amazing wallbreaking core in Band-Diggersby and Specs-Meloetta. Its a fat team where you get to make aggressive doubles in to the Wallbreakers and get kills.
This might be one of the most fun fat balance teams that i have used in Monotype. To win you have to actually make doubles and plays.

Well that concludes this interview, feel free to ask your questions down below!

Nice, volleyball is so fun!

Oh crap, I missed your birthday, happy belated birthday!!!

1. What sport do you hate the most?
2. With Sun and Moon coming out in just under 3 months, I know it's (probably) too early to say but are there any specific changes you want to see in terms of bans, usage, etc?
3. Is there anything you want us to improve upon in Monotype?
4. How do you build a great Mono Water team? They really have several tools to utilize.
5. Through your times of playing / contributing to Monoype, what have you gotten out of all this?

Thanks for the late congratulations n_n

1. I dont hate any of the sports! (Long Distance running is pretty aids tho)

2. I honestly hope that Ghost will get back to being a mid tier type. Its pretty sad to think about how much its has dropped in the last 6 months, though theres hope with the new pokemon that have been revealed for SuMo. What comes to Usage in general i dont think im the only one who would like to see the gap between top types and other types be much smaller.

3. I think the metagame is solid and balanced at the moment other than psychic being little to dominant maybe. I think something that needs improvement is the involment from the community. Suspects don’t have that much voters and the monotype metagame thread is basically a discussion between about 10 regular contributors and the council. We are a big OM by our user base, but we don’t act like one.

4. It depends about the playstyle you have picked. I think the two of the most important things for Balanced water teams is having a solid defense core and a checks for psychic such as Sharpedo or Gyarados. I think its really important to use cores that you feel comfortable using. I have said this earlier in my interview with Confluxx but Stall water is one of the best types of teams to use right now. Especially the Kaiser-Water.

5. I know this sounds cliche but by far its the friends i have gotten to know. There are lot of great people in this community that i would have never met without playing monotype as much as i do. s/o to Wyn for being my fav mono player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)