Monotype Player of the Week #19: Clearly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Dece1t

Hey everyone and welcome to the nineteenth installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week I have a well known player, Room Moderator and council member; Clearly! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where me and StarBlim interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Clearly

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
I'm pretty much just an average college freshman. I attend college at University at Buffalo in New York, and my major at the moment is undecided. Outside of playing Pokemon I enjoy listening to music on walks, sleeping for extended periods of time and just reading books.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
There are plenty of Pokemon I like but my favorite would have to be Hydreigon considering I like most Dark-type Pokemon and Dragon-types are usually have great design. My favorite gen is 5th gen by far, because of all the design put into the Pokemon and in that gen Hydreigon was one of the more powerful Pokemon available. The list of other Pokemon I like just as much would include Keldeo, Cobalion and Cofagrigus.

How did you get your username?
When I first decided to register this username it definitely wasn't with the thought of how many people would make puns incorporating it. The reason I chose this name comes from a time when I was playing on my PS3 and someone in the gaming lobby I was in had the username Clear. The username I would use on most sites was BurningIce1227 and until that lobby I had never seen someone with a username that didn't have x's or numbers in it. When I saw it I realized that usernames that actually have a meaning and are **clear** of random numbers / symbols are much more appealing than ones with them.

How did you get into Monotype?
It originally started with me and my little brother deciding to do a Monotype playthrough of BW2. He was going to use Dragon and I decided that I would use Water. After finishing the playthrough I realized that teams that share a common theme are really enjoyable to play with and when I went on PS at some point to play Random Battles with my friends I noticed there was a ladder for Monotype. I played a bunch of games and eventually found out there was a room and that's pretty much how I got into it and stayed playing it.

What do you feel you're most known for?
I'd guess most people would know me for just being auth in the room for a long time. If they didn't know me from just the amount of time I've been around it could be from using Dark-type teams or getting decent results in tours.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
Tyranitar is probably the Pokemon I use the most considering it is pretty much on all of my Dark-type teams unless I'm trying to build without it and that doesn't lead to the most solid build. It's ability to set up Stealth Rock, check Bug-types, check Fire-types and offer speed control through Thunder Wave is extremely valuable to most Dark-type teams. I don't use Rock-type teams frequently but I definitely use Tyranitar on any of the ones I create as well.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
My favorite type to use would be a tie between Bug and Steel. My favorite type overall is definitely still Dark because it has most of the Pokemon I like on it.

What playstyle do you prefer?
I would say most of my teams have a Balanced build, but not just because it's a flexible playstyle. Stall is pretty hard to build in Monotype and it isn't even the most amazing build even for the types that can use it. Offense / Hyper Offense is pretty limited by the fact most types just don't have Pokemon that are fast enough to keep pressure on other teams. I think every type besides Fighting is capable of using a Balanced Build effectively and overall I do enjoy being able to have both an offensive presence on the team as well as the ability to switch into attacks.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
I haven't ever really given much thought to community standing. When I was new I would be called bad or "scrub" constantly and even now some people would consider me bad at the game, so I just never really cared what others thought of how I played the game. I think overall that I've done everything I wanted to do in 6th gen, win a tour on the forums and get number one on ladder. In the main room I do enjoy helping people that ask me for my input on their teambuilding or assisting people that ask me for help testing a team. Considering people are still comfortable asking for help I'd say I'm happy with where I stand.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
When I was starting out I looked up to AFD, Lax and Jak. Lax's teams were part of the reason I decided to mainly use Dark-type teams and overall helped me think of creative builds for the type. AFD was one of the top battlers at the time and he was also one of the more creative players in the tier. Jak was a good battler and he was also just really funny to watch battle. Overall they were all good battlers and were pretty friendly whenever I asked for help on a team.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
They've already been mentioned plenty of times but I think TheThorn will do well in any tour he doesn't get haxed out of. Chras also plays pretty well when he is actually serious about the battle.

What advice would you give to newer players?
I think a lot of newer players are sometimes in a rush to just start playing the meta and instantly be amazing at it, but experimenting and playing on your own to experience the tier is a good way to get better. For the most part I'm just saying don't be discouraged by losses and use them as a way to learn from your mistakes in the game. One of the things I did that I think helped me get somewhat better at the game was watch a lot of battles on high ladder and think about what kind of play I would make from the position the player is in. Also just going to repeat what everyone else has said in using the resources available to you, whether it be from forums or in the room. Lastly, from what I've seen most of the good players are willing to help someone get better at the game if asked nicely.

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?
Not really interested in Gen 7 as much as most people. Some of the Pokemon look cool, but I haven't really been paying attention to what info has been released and what people are hoping to see in the games. Not sure if its confirmed that there will be no more new megas, but I'd like to see some more Pokemon get a Mega Evolution. Other then that, there could be the possibility of Gen 4 remakes which could make Defog compatible with Pokemon that couldn't run it effectively before.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 228 HP / 220 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fiery Dance
- Roost

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This is my most recent attempt at a Balanced playstyle with Bug and it was also my first time using Mega Scizor on Bug. Mega Scizor serves as a Defensive Pivot and wincon. Armaldo sets up Stealth Rock and provides hazard control along with Forretress. Forretress is another pivot with Volt Switch and can set up Spikes. Yanmega with Specs and U-turn helps break through some builds like Zap-Skarm Flying cores and keeps momentum. Scolipede is a revenge killer / sweeper depending on the circumstances and Volcarona is a wincon vs. most bulky builds and Steel.

Well that concludes this interview. Feel free to post your questions below.

Last edited:
Why are you obsessed with hippos?

Favourite monotype staff member?
1. Hippos are magnificent and majestic creatures irl and can be compared to most Showdown users.

2. All the members of staff are pretty cool people overall and if I had to pick one it'd be Schwan simply because of how long we've talked and joked around with each other.

Favorite monothreat type?

Any favorite songs/movies/tv shows?
1. Not a huge fan of monothreats but if I had to pick one it'd probably be Rock. It's the monothreat I get the best results in and one of the ones where sets are always variable.

I like most animated movies and the most recent one I saw was Angry Birds with my little brother and sister. Marvel movies are also pretty cool. I don't look at TV too much but I enjoy watching Supernatural on Netlfix if that counts for anything.

anyway, books are great! do you have a favorite book/series/genre?
Who is your favorite character in sdr2 and why is it Koizumi?
What's your least favorite tier to ladder for besides monotype?
Favorite color?

e: [00:06:25] Clearly: Who is koizumi
yea lol

anyway, books are great! do you have a favorite book/series/genre?
Who is your favorite character in sdr2 and why is it Koizumi?
What's your least favorite tier to ladder for besides monotype?
Favorite color?
I prefer Fantasy books overall and one of my favorite series was the Percy Jackson one. Series of Unfortunate Events was also a pretty good read from when I was younger.
Favorite character was Gundham Tanaka simple because of how hilarious he was and I don't get why everyone obsessed over Mahiru.
Least favorite tier would probably be RU since its one of the ladders I played enough to know I don't like it. Generally all ladders are annoying at some point though.
Favorite color is Red. I don't really have a reason why besides liking the way it looks. A lot of the stuff I own are red or have some of it present in it and my room back home was red

Reactions: 6ti
How does it feel to be the only person I know that lives in New York??

Who is your favourite Australian?

and

Also if you could change one thing in the current metagame what would it be??

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Are there any types you are excited to team-build for when SuMo comes out?

What out of the unbanned Pokemon is most likely the first to be banned again?

Do the GoDly Grimers stand out as the clear-cut champions of the next MPL?

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Thoughts on the secret top kek mono room chat quality?

[18:03] thimo: a friend of mine picked u a chair
[18:03] thimo: and went up the stairs
[18:03] thimo: up there i picked it and fucked it over the railing

[21:40] iRaimon: I'm the legendary bitch known in all seven regions
[21:40] iRaimon: bish

[22:00] %Dream Eater Gengar: r00d
[22:01] %Dream Eater Gengar: im not weebing
[22:04] %Dream Eater Gengar: ;)
[22:05] %Dream Eater Gengar: nyaaa Clearly
[22:05] %Dream Eater Gengar: :3

How does it feel to be the only person I know that lives in New York??

Who is your favourite Australian?

and

Also if you could change one thing in the current metagame what would it be??

How's it feel to be the only person I know that lives in Australia?
See above for second question.
I'd have Hoopa-U banned, I think it was a mistake that it wasn't banned in the last suspect test.

Are there any types you are excited to team-build for when SuMo comes out?

What out of the unbanned Pokemon is most likely the first to be banned again?

Do the GoDly Grimers stand out as the clear-cut champions of the next MPL?
I think that the first type I'd build with would be Dark just to see how it does when the gen changes. Afterwards I'd probably try builds with Psychic and Electric.
If the pokemon proposed to be unbanned for SuMo are really going to be unbanned I think that something on Steel would get the boot first. I doubt anything will really change to make the immunity core balanced and Aegislash is going to annoy any team up against it.
I think the GoDly Grimers have a good chance of winning MPL, just look at how they're doing in seasonals right now.

Thoughts on catgirls?
They exist for particular individuals with strange concepts of whats attractive to obsess over. Not going to name any of the individuals I know though.

Thoughts on the secret top kek mono room chat quality?

[18:03] thimo: a friend of mine picked u a chair
[18:03] thimo: and went up the stairs
[18:03] thimo: up there i picked it and fucked it over the railing

[21:40] iRaimon: I'm the legendary bitch known in all seven regions
[21:40] iRaimon: bish

[22:00] %Dream Eater Gengar: r00d
[22:01] %Dream Eater Gengar: im not weebing
[22:04] %Dream Eater Gengar: ;)
[22:05] %Dream Eater Gengar: nyaaa Clearly
[22:05] %Dream Eater Gengar: :3
That chat is trash and should be deleted for the advancement of society as a whole.

Series of Unfortunate Events was stunning. I love that book as well from 7th grade and read the others.

Anyway, is there anything we should improve upon in Monotype (in general)?

What Pokemon annoys you the most and what is one you wanted unbanned that's not allowed in Monotype?

Have you ever been to New York City? If so, what attractions do you like the most there? (Will we be able to meet if I decide to take a trip there again?)

Is there a particular sport you enjoy a lot?

Favorite kind of food?

Subject you hate the most?

Series of Unfortunate Events was stunning. I love that book as well from 7th grade and read the others.

Anyway, is there anything we should improve upon in Monotype (in general)?

What Pokemon annoys you the most and what is one you wanted unbanned that's not allowed in Monotype?

Have you ever been to New York City? If so, what attractions do you like the most there? (Will we be able to meet if I decide to take a trip there again?)

Is there a particular sport you enjoy a lot?

Favorite kind of food?

Subject you hate the most?
Overall I think the meta is doing well and there really isn't any policy that I think would improve it. The Same-type clause being discussed for Gen 7 sounds interesting and I think that it could improve the meta since nobody ever complained about Charizard X on Fire and Mega Gyarados only being allowed on Water would make the Flying match up easier for a lot of types.

Hoopa-U annoys me no matter what team I'm using and Landorus-I is also an annoying mon to play against. I never really thought about wanting something taken off the banlist because I try to understand the reason for it being banned in most cases and I can normally support the ban. I do remember that when Greninja and Sablenite were banned that I wanted them back for around a week maybe, but that's just bias and is the reason I dont vote on suspect tests for Dark-type Pokemon.

I grew up in New York City and my favorite attraction is probably the One World Observatory in Manhattan. We'd probably be able to meet if I'm in the city at the same time since I'm studying on campus in Buffalo atm.

Out of the sports I've played, Football was probably my favorite to play. The team I played on was always lively and supportive of each other and we did really well for the year I played there. Running long distance was also fun although I find the atmosphere provided by team sports to be better.

Lasagna was a dish my mom was able to make really well and it was one of my favorite meals for dinner.

Physics. When I think of subjects I dislike, the reason for me disliking them is either the class was hard or the teacher was bad. My first semester of Physics in HS was terrible but the second one was extremely easy by comparison. At the end of the day though Physics wasn't very interesting either way.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You knew me on PS before I spent way too much time playing on a Pokemon server and made it my life goal to be the best monotype leader like no one ever was was cool.

True or False: You beat me in every ladder race we had?

You knew me on PS before I spent way too much time playing on a Pokemon server and made it my life goal to be the best monotype leader like no one ever was was cool.

True or False: You beat me in every ladder race we had?
You were still cool, just not as well-known and busy.
Pretty sure that'd be false, I think you beat me when we did Poison and Water. I don't remember the results for the types we did but it was usually close and pretty fun to see what types of teams we came up with. One of the better races was Grass just because of how bad it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)