Resource Monotype SM Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Bringing Cradily out on Pidgeot Mega just gives it a free pivot into Diggers. Then you have to have something on your team take a fire punch from diggers, which isn't healthy considering your team is full of grass. If they go into Chansey, just volt switch out, bring breloom in and do w/e. I honestly don't know why the opponent would bring out diggers on Mowtom considering mowtom runs leaf storm 99.9 percent of the time. Also Scarf Bulu is a sweeper with high Attack, not a pivot. It can't really dent Celesteela, one of the biggest threats against grass considering Steel/Flying/Fire coverage pretty much nails everything on the team.
I don't think Mega Pidgeot's use on Normal teams constitutes moving Rotom-M up to A Rank. Assuming you're the common Choice Scarf set, you actually aren't in a better situation if the opponent pivots into Diggersby or hard-switches, since you'll be trying to guess what the Normal user is going to do. Will they stay in with Mega Pidgeot, pivot or hard-switch into Diggersby (which would create the same issue as with Cradily), go to a respective defensive check in the Eviolite core, or possibly bring in Meloetta? Having a Rotom-M doesn't make this situation easier to handle, and I would say it restricts much more than if you had Cradily, where you can at least provide guaranteed pressure with Stealth Rock, Toxic, a coverage move, etc.

Last edited:
Bringing Cradily out on Pidgeot Mega just gives it a free pivot into Diggers. Then you have to have something on your team take a fire punch from diggers, which isn't healthy considering your team is full of grass. If they go into Chansey, just volt switch out, bring breloom in and do w/e. I honestly don't know why the opponent would bring out diggers on Mowtom considering mowtom runs leaf storm 99.9 percent of the time. Also Scarf Bulu is a sweeper with high Attack, not a pivot. It can't really dent Celesteela, one of the biggest threats against grass considering Steel/Flying/Fire coverage pretty much nails everything on the team.

Choice Band Diggersby's Fire Punch is a 3HKO on Cradily, which Cradily can take advantage of by either Toxicing something or putting up Stealth Rock. Also, if you're a Choice Scarf set, Diggersby may try to come in in order to prevent you from Volt Switch pivoting. Regarding Celesteela, Mega Venusaur beats defensive sets, and offensive sets outspeed Scarf Rotom Mow after a single Autotomize if they're Timid. Rotom Mow just doesn't offer too much importance to Grass teams to warrant the A ranking, and Mega Pidgeot and Celesteela don't quite justify it.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Choice Band Diggersby's Fire Punch is a 3HKO on Cradily, which Cradily can take advantage of by either Toxicing something or putting up Stealth Rock. Also, if you're a Choice Scarf set, Diggersby may try to come in in order to prevent you from Volt Switch pivoting. Regarding Celesteela, Mega Venusaur beats defensive sets, and offensive sets outspeed Scarf Rotom Mow after a single Autotomize if they're Timid. Rotom Mow just doesn't offer too much importance to Grass teams to warrant the A ranking, and Mega Pidgeot and Celesteela don't quite justify it.
shut me down :(

Time for some more nominations:

Mega Glalie: B=>C

Mega Glalie is a really poor option for offensive Ice teams. Most of its offensive presence comes from its Ice STAB, which isn't largely beneficial for Ice teams. Kyurem-Black and Mamoswine largely outclass it offensively because, while they have lower Speed, they offer larger amounts of coverage, as well as being able to hold items to increase their sweeping/wallbreaking potential. With its 100 Speed tier, it never fully guarantees outspeeds against threatening base 100's like Mew, Victini, and the Mega Charizards. Comparing it to the other B ranks, Froslass can serve as a nice anti-lead with Taunt and Destiny Bond, while also hazard stacking with Spikes, greatly benefitting Ice's wallbreakers and late-game cleaners. Rotom-Frost serves as alternate check to the extreme threat that is Mega Scizor while also serving as a nice pivot. Mega Glalie is largely outclassed offensively and is a generally niche pick on Ice teams, which is why I think it should be dropped to C rank.

Snorlax: B=>C or D

Snorlax has no place on balanced Normal teams. The only somewhat redeemable thing it can offer is being a bulky wincon with Curse. But even then, it has no reliable sustain and is incredibly easy to wall depending on what its only attacking move is. While it has an extremely diverse movepool, it doesn't have the wallbreaking power to use it effectively, and is forced to forgo certain coverage options. Snorlax is simply terrible and is more appropriate in C or D rank with the likes of Mega Audino and Blissey.

Diancie: B=>C (Rock)

This should be pretty self-explanatory. Diancie only offers 1 helpful neutrality defensively, which is Fighting. And even then, it still finds itself 2HKOed by most Fighting type attacks. Not having any reliable sustain doesn't help it either. Offensively, base 100 offenses isn't very amazing, especially when it hardly outspeeds much of anything. The best it can really do is serve as a Trick Room sweeper, and even then, its lackluster offenses will result in it getting walled really easily. While it does help check Mega Sableye, as well as this gen buffing Diamond Storm, it isn't quite enough to justify Diancie's use, which is why it should be dropped to C rank.

roman

Banned deucer.
nom for an underrated mon that deserves more usag

Crawdaunt: C->B (Dark)

Runs two super threatening wall breaker sets that are capable of smacking some extremely fat walls such as Skarmory or Toxapex that more offensive dark builds typically struggle with. It can also revenge kill threats such as Volcarona or anything in range of Aqua Jet which is obviously super helpful for Dark as well.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb / Splash Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Both items have their own merits. Life Orb obviously gives you a nice power boost but makes it tougher to set up a SD as the game progresses. Splash Plate is capable of bluffing CB as well as helping us set up SD easier because of no recoil. It also gives AJ a nice boost without taking recoil. The rest of the set is pretty self explanatory. Crabhammer mashes walls, Knock Off is nice coverage and cripples Pokemon who rely on passive Leftovers recovery such as Empoleon, Ferrothorn (to an extent), Suicune etc. Aqua Jet is super helpful for revenging threats that are in range. You could run Jolly but that doesn't really outpace anything important enough to lose out some wall breaking power.

calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Splash Plate Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 308-364 (92.2 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 309-364 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

those 2 calcs should be sufficient as those are 2 well known bulky as shit mons that just get bopped lol :v

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Band Crawdaunt is definitely one of the tier's most powerful wallbreakers because of its insane immediate power. Hits a good deal harder than the LO / Splash Plate set which means it's more capable of revenge killing because of the immediate power CB grants. The last moveslot is pretty much whatever support you want. It gets useful utility with Trick to cripple walls that you can't touch (I honestly don't know what this can't break lol) or you could also run Toxic to cripple threats on the switch such as Keldeo, Bulu, etc.

e: added calcs

nom for an underrated mon that deserves more usag

Crawdaunt: C->B (Dark)

Runs two super threatening wall breaker sets that are capable of smacking some extremely fat walls such as Skarmory or Toxapex that more offensive dark builds typically struggle with. It can also revenge kill threats such as Volcarona or anything in range of Aqua Jet which is obviously super helpful for Dark as well.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb / Splash Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Both items have their own merits. Life Orb obviously gives you a nice power boost but makes it tougher to set up a SD as the game progresses. Splash Plate is capable of bluffing CB as well as helping us set up SD easier because of no recoil. It also gives AJ a nice boost without taking recoil. The rest of the set is pretty self explanatory. Crabhammer mashes walls, Knock Off is nice coverage and cripples Pokemon who rely on passive Leftovers recovery such as Empoleon, Ferrothorn (to an extent), Suicune etc. Aqua Jet is super helpful for revenging threats that are in range. You could run Jolly but that doesn't really outpace anything important enough to lose out some wall breaking power.

calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Splash Plate Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 308-364 (92.2 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 309-364 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

those 2 calcs should be sufficient as those are 2 well known bulky as shit mons that just get bopped lol :v

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Band Crawdaunt is definitely one of the tier's most powerful wallbreakers because of its insane immediate power. Hits a good deal harder than the LO / Splash Plate set which means it's more capable of revenge killing because of the immediate power CB grants. The last moveslot is pretty much whatever support you want. It gets useful utility with Trick to cripple walls that you can't touch (I honestly don't know what this can't break lol) or you could also run Toxic to cripple threats on the switch such as Keldeo, Bulu, etc.

e: added calcs
Although i agree that crawdaunt is a great mon, it faces stiff competition from dark's two other water/dark types being greninja and mega sharpedo. Those two are mostly standard on every dark team ive faced. It is a great wallbreaker, but it is too slow to be effective, and can be a huge momentum drain. The two walls u named can both be handled by Sharpedo (w/ chip on skarm and psychic fangs) and greninja (w/ extrasensory). I can possibly see it on mega sableye variants, but I find it hard to find a slot to fit it in. Not to say its not a good mon, however it just can't fit into dark teams right now as it isnt needed. It's niche is its strong attacks and priority, which grants it C rank imo.

Probopass: Unranked ---> D (Rock)

Probopass is definitely a situational pokemon, and can be outclassed by Shuckle any day, but can still be useful. In terms of it being compared to Shuckle it has lower defenses, but are still high in terms of any other pokemon, and also has a much higher sp. attack and HP base stats than Shuckle, allowing it to maybe take a hit or a few before going down, and possibly dish out a few in the process. I know that it has a lot of weaknesses in Fire, Ground and Water, but it also resists many more types, and you can just use an air balloon to get rid of the ground weakness, and he has Sturdy to make sure he doesn't die immediately. You can use him as a stall or just a wall mon who can also possibly hit back a bit.

The set I made
Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 HP / 220 Def / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Power Gem

HP: 300
Attack: 103
Defense: 381
Sp.Attack: 186
Sp.Defense: 405
Speed: 116
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Feedback would be appreciated!

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Probopass: Unranked ---> D (Rock)

Probopass is definitely a situational pokemon, and can be outclassed by Shuckle any day, but can still be useful. In terms of it being compared to Shuckle it has lower defenses, but are still high in terms of any other pokemon, and also has a much higher sp. attack and HP base stats than Shuckle, allowing it to maybe take a hit or a few before going down, and possibly dish out a few in the process. I know that it has a lot of weaknesses in Fire, Ground and Water, but it also resists many more types, and you can just use an air balloon to get rid of the ground weakness, and he has Sturdy to make sure he doesn't die immediately. You can use him as a stall or just a wall mon who can also possibly hit back a bit.

The set I made
Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 HP / 220 Def / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Power Gem

HP: 300
Attack: 103
Defense: 381
Sp.Attack: 186
Sp.Defense: 405
Speed: 116
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Feedback would be appreciated!
Hi, You nominated probopass with D rank, while comparing it with shuckle which is a A rank mon on Rock. Probopass does not brings anything relevant to mono rock teams. Pokemon belonging to D rank are solely used for a particular move or ability and are almost always outclassed by pokemon from higher ranks. So in the case of probopass i dont see it filling a particular niche neither with any moves nor with its ability.Hence I dont feel it should be ranked D.

Hi, You nominated probopass with D rank, while comparing it with shuckle which is a A rank mon on Rock. Probopass does not brings anything relevant to mono rock teams. Pokemon belonging to D rank are solely used for a particular move or ability and are almost always outclassed by pokemon from higher ranks. So in the case of probopass i dont see it filling a particular niche neither with any moves nor with its ability.Hence I dont feel it should be ranked D.
I second this.

The only niche Probopass used to occupy on Rock was as a trapper, using Magnet Pull to trap some Steel-type threats such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Bulky Mega Scizor and damage them heavily with HP Fire / Volt Switch.

This niche has effectively been wiped out with the introduction of Alolan Golem, who also has Magnet Pull and traps all these threats more effectively, especially the new threat, Celesteela, which Probopass cannot touch. It accomplishes all this while being much more broadly threatening than Probopass.

Unranked is fine.

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Latias: A => S (Dragon)

Latias has always been befitting of some of Dragon's best support roles, including but not limited to: Defogger, Healing Wish Support and Speed Control (Via Tailwind), yet also has some decent offensive power in the form of many great coverage and STAB moves such as Psyshock, Draco Meteor, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, etc. While many common forms of Latias have only Psyshock and Draco Meteor, the change and allowance of Soul Dew adds an extra punch to the damage it gives (though most sets prefer Leftovers). Though its offensive prowess pales in comparison to its brother Latios, Latias is still incredibly useful for what it provides to the type.

Being the types best Defogger is extremely important when it comes to playing Dragon, for common Sash mons like Salamence or very powerful teammates such as Dragonite and Kyurem-B need to stay healthy in order to deal incredible amounts of damage. Having Latias for your Defogger also frees moveslots on other teammates such as Scarf Latios, where being locked into Defog would be less beneficial to Dragon's momentum in a match as it forces the situation to switch out as the opponent sets up. Healing Wish also keeps teammates healthy in the sense that it recovers health and status of one mon that could be critically used in the match; Banded Dragonite for instance. Tailwind, while not as common, is useful for outspeeding threats that a scarf on another mon would normally require, such as Tapu Koko, Scarf Excadrill, Mega Alakazam, Greninja (when it runs Scarf) and so forth.

Support isn't its only function however, it is quite a surprising option offensively, as certain variants such as Calm Mind/Stored Power have risen in popularity due to its usefulness against types Dragon can't normally beat, such as Normal (ironically) and Fairy. For Example:

Latias @ Normalium Z
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: No
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover
- Stored Power

I personally find this set to be somewhat Anti-Meta, for it absolutely destroys teams. 228 HP and 252 Def make it so it takes Physical hits handily, while the 28 Speed outspeeds those with a 262 Limit such as Breloom and Volcanion. Against Fairy, Calm Mind eats many special hits from the likes of Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Magic Guard Clefable and others as it does not get 2OHKOed at +1. At +2, this set could even take a Max Modest Twinkle Tackle from Magearna and recover off the damage. Normalium Z makes Knock Off less effective, Trick Useless, and acts as a second wind when in a pinch through the use of Z-Refresh. Remove all phsyical Attackers, and this mon Sweeps the likes of Normal, Fairy, Stall Water, Poison without A-Muk, Flying, Grass, and Electric with absolute ease.

Given all the different roles Latias fills depends on the Dragon team built, it can't be denied that its uses to Dragon outclass the weaknesses it may have, and therefore, I nominate Latias for S Rank.

Stunfisk (Electric) D=>B

Ok I just have to say.
Stunfisk (electric) Unranked => B rank
Stunfisk not being ranked is laughable IMO. Did you know that 252hp/4spd Stunfisk can live a life orb hydro pump from Greninja, and KO it in return with discharge in elec terrain? Replay below, but I can also show you dozens of replays where stunfisk was a great contributor to a victory.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-492961542

Right after that it passes out a static to scarf krookodile when it goes for the knock off. Like, I am 100 percent serious when I say it is much better than golem for setting rocks, because you can almost always set it more than once per game, which is a big boon for a more balanced-offensive electric team. STAB earth power un-invested 2hko mega metagross. Give it a rocky helmet and watch is pass out damage and paralysis to attackers with ease, making it impossible for a lot of common spinners to take down it's rocks, such as armaldo and torkoal. Or just give it leftovers with SR, earth power, toxic and discharge/foul play/pain split.

I honestly don't see how it is unranked, and definitely should be above stuff like Vikavolt, which is nigh worthless in electric monotype, and I definitely don't see how Alolan Golem gets an A rank, when the only thing it can do is set rocks and die instantly, or perhaps explode on something very slow. I have found Golem to be underwhelming for electric sadly.

Also I feel Rotom-Mow deserves a C rank of some kind. The scarf set with hp ice and trick along with leaf storm and volt switch puts a lot of pressure on ground teams and water teams that have lanturn and/or ground/waters. Plus having a trick available is great for electric teams to put the quash on stall/set up mons that electric has a hard time getting past, like calm minders and eviolite users.

I hope my words about stunfisk can change the mind of even just one user out there! Stunfisk for B rank!
I very much agree to this as Stunfisk is a considerably better "suicide lead" that for me has gotten rocks up much better than Alola-Golem, the Explosion Galvanize or Sturdy Custap Explosion doesnt overtake Stunfisk who can Pain Split, setup rocks and act as a pseudo-wall to some physical pokemon or special. WIth this in mind it only feels in place at the B rank.

Stunfisk (Electric) D=>B

I very much agree to this as Stunfisk is a considerably better "suicide lead" that for me has gotten rocks up much better than Alola-Golem, the Explosion Galvanize or Sturdy Custap Explosion doesnt overtake Stunfisk who can Pain Split, setup rocks and act as a pseudo-wall to some physical pokemon or special. WIth this in mind it only feels in place at the B rank.
stunfisk isnt a suicide lead and golems role isnt only to just set rocks it helps handle threats like chansey and other bulky mons but overall golem is still more relible rocker setter for electric because stunfisk is Momentum Drain which a hyper offensive type like electric doesn't appreciate.

stunfisk isnt a suicide lead and golems role isnt only to just set rocks it helps handle threats like chansey and other bulky mons but overall golem is still more relible rocker setter for electric because stunfisk is Momentum Drain which a hyper offensive type like electric doesn't appreciate.
StarBlim with all due respect how does golem help handle any type in a way that the other 5 can not handle it and no team relies on an alolan golem to deal with bulky mons like chansey, and electric isnt hyper offensive? sure it has volt switch playstyle but its not that its hyper offensive with rotom wash and zapdos

StarBlim with all due respect how does golem help handle any type in a way that the other 5 can not handle it and no team relies on an alolan golem to deal with bulky mons like chansey, and electric isnt hyper offensive? sure it has volt switch playstyle but its not that its hyper offensive with rotom wash and zapdos
Stunfisk has never been relevant from the start of this generation. The only niche that it has over Alolan Golem is Ground typing and STAB Ground-type moves and decent special defense. Alolan Golem serves as the better and more reliable Stealth Rock user alongside being another one Electric teams solid physical attacker, especially with Galvanize + Electric terrain. Stunfisk has always been a pretty bad mon and I see no reason to use it over Alolan Golem so D Rank is fine.

Stunfisk has never been relevant from the start of this generation. The only niche that it has over Alolan Golem is Ground typing and STAB Ground-type moves and decent special defense. Alolan Golem serves as the better and more reliable Stealth Rock user alongside being another one Electric teams solid physical attacker, especially with Galvanize + Electric terrain. Stunfisk has always been a pretty bad mon and I see no reason to use it over Alolan Golem so D Rank is fine.
Mikasa the pokemon isnt relevant because it isnt ranked properly and anyone who has not used it, does not know. If anything is a niche pokemon, golem alola is a niche pokemon with its only niche having galvanize explosion, it is definitely not a staple on electric that is worthy of s rank, which is reserved for the pokemon that are particularly required pokemon for the team, which alola golem is not, it is interchangeable between several pokemon, but that isnt the point. You undermine its bulk as it is a pokemon that has 109 HP combined with 84 and 99 for def and sp def respectively, it has reliable ground stab and access to discharge, its ability static even has a bonus, this pokemon is not a niche, it is a viable, bulky offensive pokemon thats job is to set up rocks and deal damage with its strong stab moves, as well as pain split when the time is right, it even has decent 81 sp attack to dish out damage, I strongly recommend reconsidering this pokemon even if not B rank AT LEAST a C Rank pokemon for electric. I almost forgot the lack of special bulk which means alola golem if galvanize like you say, will get OHKOed by, meanwhile stunfisk and its good bulk over all can definitely live most hits to set up rocks if that is all you want.

Mikasa the pokemon isnt relevant because it isnt ranked properly and anyone who has not used it, does not know. If anything is a niche pokemon, golem alola is a niche pokemon with its only niche having galvanize explosion, it is definitely not a staple on electric that is worthy of s rank, which is reserved for the pokemon that are particularly required pokemon for the team, which alola golem is not, it is interchangeable between several pokemon, but that isnt the point. You undermine its bulk as it is a pokemon that has 109 HP combined with 84 and 99 for def and sp def respectively, it has reliable ground stab and access to discharge, its ability static even has a bonus, this pokemon is not a niche, it is a viable, bulky offensive pokemon thats job is to set up rocks and deal damage with its strong stab moves, as well as pain split when the time is right, it even has decent 81 sp attack to dish out damage, I strongly recommend reconsidering this pokemon even if not B rank AT LEAST a C Rank pokemon for electric. I almost forgot the lack of special bulk which means alola golem if galvanize like you say, will get OHKOed by, meanwhile stunfisk and its good bulk over all can definitely live most hits to set up rocks if that is all you want.
How is being not useless outside of rocks niche? And if stunfisks only niche is rocks why b rank? Also stunfisks bulk doesn't mean so much when all it can do is rocks since it's weak and ep from no invested spa does nothing

How is being not useless outside of rocks niche? And if stunfisks only niche is rocks why b rank? Also stunfisks bulk doesn't mean so much when all it can do is rocks since it's weak and ep from no invested spa does nothing
What I am trying to say is Stunfisk is not just a rocker. You are going to ask why. I am going to say because although it isnt strong enough to OHKO all your threats, I am saying that it is not completely useless and the nothing you speak of is not true as you would really only use earth power when terrains not up on a super effective pokemon, just like on golem you only use edge on those nice flying, fire types etc, stunfisk base you would use discharge in electric terrain, which also has a nice paralysis chance. It can also pain split so it isnt chipped on walls without leaving them chipped themselves. You are next going to say Why does that make it B ranked? The answer is also in the discharge electric terrain and the earth power for nice steel types, rock types, poison types, which makes it a viable enough pokemon to be useful on the electric type.

Verde let me try to help you here. The way viability rankings is that everything is relative. Pokemon that are better than others are going to be higher rank. Pokemon that heavily affect the metagame are going to be ranked the highest. So, what is Stunfisk's niche? It's a Stealth Rock user that has decent bulk. That's all it has going for it. Stunfisk has unusable offensive stats, which may have been acceptable for a wall, but Stunfisk doesn't even have recovery, so it fails to fill any role other than a tank. Do Electric teams need a tank? Sadly, the answer is simply no. The Electric typing is peculiar in that it only has one weakness: Ground. Every Electric team is going to field the powerful defensive core of Rotom-W and Zapdos, both of which are immune to Electric's only weakness. As a result, there is no room for a tank that has no offensive presence and no recovery. A tank cannot have no offensive presence because otherwise it switches into attacks, takes damage, and does absolutely nothing to threaten the enemy. However, as mentioned above, Stunfisk has access to Stealth Rock, which is a hugely important utility move. The issue, though, is that Stunfisk literally cannot do anything else. The fact that Stunfisk has no recovery and no damage means it is a completely useless Pokemon outside of using Stealth Rock. I don't even need to compare Stunfisk to the far superior Alolan Golem.

I mean, just look at the ORAS Viability Rankings, when Electric didn't even have Alolan Golem as an option. Stunfisk was still D rank. If Stunfisk was D rank with no competition in ORAS, how could it possibly be any better in SM now that it does have competition in a comparative ranking? (For the record, Stunfisk's HP stat is too high to effectively use Pain Split, unlike Rotom-W)

Anyway, as I stated, viability rankings is all relative. Let's compare Stunfisk to the C rank Pokemon: Eelektross, Electivire, Galvantula, and Luxray.

Eelektross is actually a tank, unlike Stunfisk. Its access to Levitate makes it have 0 weaknesses and it can use Assault Vest to be bulky. It carries great utility in Knock Off, which helps significantly against the Normal-type defensive core that Electric often has trouble with. However, Eelektross's base stats aren't particularly good and it lacks damage (just like Stunfisk does), so it's only C rank.

Electivire is a (rather poor) physical attacker and is more or less outclassed by Alolan Golem. However, Electivire has the almost unique ability to use Wild Charge and Cross Chop to 2HKO all parts of the Normal-type defensive core. Because it is useless outside of this one niche, it's understandably C rank.

Galvantula creates an entire archetype of its own: Sticky Web. Of course, because Electric teams have access to Surge Surfer, there's no need for that sort of Speed control based on a rather terrible Pokemon when Alolan Raichu can do much, much better. However, that niche is enough to make it C rank.

Luxray is similar to Electivire in that it takes out the Normal-type defensive core. The difference between them is whether you value Electivire's Speed or the utility of Luxray's abilities.

These are all Pokemon that are generally outclassed by others. Eelektross is simply worse than Zapdos, Electivire and Luxray are worse than Alolan Golem, and Galvantula is worse than Alolan Raichu. However, they have a specific niche they are able to use. Stunfisk literally doesn't have a niche. Alolan Golem does Stunfisk's only job but much, much better. Because Stunfisk can't even make a specific niche for itself, it's D rank.

Wait, there is one thing Stunfisk can do: allow Alolan Golem to not use Stealth Rock! Yeah, that's when you know. Stunfisk is D rank at best because it opens a moveslot on Alolan Golem, which honestly is almost never ever worth the teamslot. I'd consider unranking Stunfisk completely because it just isn't viable in the current metagame. I honestly don't even need to compare Stunfisk to Alolan Golem; even without the presence of competition, it lacks the ability to stand on its own against more useful teamslots.

I appreciate your interest in contributing to the rankings, but I must insist that you become more familiar with Electric teams and Monotype as a whole before making such strong claims as "we don't know". Stunfisk has been discussed in the past and it's not going to be moving up. Everything Stunfisk can do, another Pokemon can do so much better. Please view the rules of this thread and keep them in mind. Do not post about Pokemon that you do not have enough experience with.

Edit: a word

Last edited:
Latias: A => S (Dragon)

Latias has always been befitting of some of Dragon's best support roles, including but not limited to: Defogger, Healing Wish Support and Speed Control (Via Tailwind), yet also has some decent offensive power in the form of many great coverage and STAB moves such as Psyshock, Draco Meteor, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, etc. While many common forms of Latias have only Psyshock and Draco Meteor, the change and allowance of Soul Dew adds an extra punch to the damage it gives (though most sets prefer Leftovers). Though its offensive prowess pales in comparison to its brother Latios, Latias is still incredibly useful for what it provides to the type.

Being the types best Defogger is extremely important when it comes to playing Dragon, for common Sash mons like Salamence or very powerful teammates such as Dragonite and Kyurem-B need to stay healthy in order to deal incredible amounts of damage. Having Latias for your Defogger also frees moveslots on other teammates such as Scarf Latios, where being locked into Defog would be less beneficial to Dragon's momentum in a match as it forces the situation to switch out as the opponent sets up. Healing Wish also keeps teammates healthy in the sense that it recovers health and status of one mon that could be critically used in the match; Banded Dragonite for instance. Tailwind, while not as common, is useful for outspeeding threats that a scarf on another mon would normally require, such as Tapu Koko, Scarf Excadrill, Mega Alakazam, Greninja (when it runs Scarf) and so forth.

Support isn't its only function however, it is quite a surprising option offensively, as certain variants such as Calm Mind/Stored Power have risen in popularity due to its usefulness against types Dragon can't normally beat, such as Normal (ironically) and Fairy. For Example:

Latias @ Normalium Z
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: No
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover
- Stored Power

I personally find this set to be somewhat Anti-Meta, for it absolutely destroys teams. 228 HP and 252 Def make it so it takes Physical hits handily, while the 28 Speed outspeeds those with a 262 Limit such as Breloom and Volcanion. Against Fairy, Calm Mind eats many special hits from the likes of Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Magic Guard Clefable and others as it does not get 2OHKOed at +1. At +2, this set could even take a Max Modest Twinkle Tackle from Magearna and recover off the damage. Normalium Z makes Knock Off less effective, Trick Useless, and acts as a second wind when in a pinch through the use of Z-Refresh. Remove all phsyical Attackers, and this mon Sweeps the likes of Normal, Fairy, Stall Water, Poison without A-Muk, Flying, Grass, and Electric with absolute ease.

Given all the different roles Latias fills depends on the Dragon team built, it can't be denied that its uses to Dragon outclass the weaknesses it may have, and therefore, I nominate Latias for S Rank.
Only problem I see is how to fit it into standard dragon right now. It takes away momentum and will be replacing what exactly? Hydra? It does help versus Normal I can see that but I don't know I don't think it deserves S rank as it is not exactly meta defining. It's not a bad set btw, that's not where my comment is going at all

I'll just add something quick about Stunfisk.

The main issue it has outside of Alola Golem is that it has barely any offensive presence and cannot pivot, which makes it a huge momentum drain on Electric which is typically a more offensive type. Golem-A may be easily checkable (though Balloon and Sash are viable sets that allow to take on stuff like Zard-X or Volcarona), it is able to put out enough offensive pressure to force switches and create opportunities to set up rocks. Stunfisk, on the other hand, hits like a wet noodle and can't do much outside trying to spread status maybe.

Now you may say that being passive may not be that much of a detriment for Stunfisk, as it's a defensive mon and being somewhat passive doesn't stop other Electric-type staple defensive mons such as Rotom Wash and Zapdos (neither of which are really passive, but w/ever). But these pokemon can pivot, so even if walled, are capable of volt switching into something that threatens the pokemon in front of them and generate momentum. Stunfisk can't even do that.

It's way too passive to fit onto Electric. Stealth Rock is nice, but then A-Golem is a better choice. A SpD Wall can help, but Zapdos is more effective. A rocks resist is neat, but even then Magnezone already offers that for you. So while it offers a weird role compression, it fits poorly onto Electric all in all.

D-rank is fine.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Jynx Unranked -> D for Ice teams- Jynx can Lovely Kiss, Trick, Blizzard, and Focus Blast on Choice Scarf sets, which is Glaceon's niche. Being faster, offering more coverage, and an immunity to water through Dry Skin (available through transfer), Jynx can take advantage of both Hail and Rain, and is a god send when enemy Rain teams power up fast sweepers.

While Jynx is frail, it has a plethora of moves for coverage, such as STAB Psyshock/Psychic for Salazzle and Keldeo (a huge fast threat for Ice types and the former being especially dangerous to Alolan-Ninetails), Freeze Dry for 4x weak Water types like Swampert and Seismitoad, and of course Focus Blast for Steel types like Heatran, as well as Rock types like Tyranitar.

Basically it is best served as a late-game Scarf cleaner, finishing off enemies that have been worn down with Hazards, with its excellent coverage moves, or at least incompacitating a foe with Lovely Kiss.

Lastly, while not recommended, if you need to fit random moves like Heal Bell, Aurora Veil, or Perish Song on your team, Jynx has those moves as well.

Last edited:
On the subject of unranked pokemon who might deserve a ranking, I'd like to bring up Primarina, who I've brought up before in the below post.
Primarina is a potent special attacker with solid offensive and defensive utility. It has great typing that gives it two of the most spammable STABs in the game and make it very, very difficult to switch into safely. Primarina also has excellent coverage options in Psychic and Energy Ball that help it deal with opposing Water and, most notably, Poison, since Life Orb / Choice Specs is capable of 2HKOing both Toxapex and Mega-Venusaur with Psychic and Alola Muk is unable to trap it effectively as it is 3HKOd by Hydro Pump and Primarina resists Pursuit.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Psychic vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 252-298 (70.1 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 234-276 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 141-166 (34.1 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 128 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 214-253 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 169-199 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 180 SpD Zapdos: 228-268 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 207-244 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 324-384 (92 - 109%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 171-202 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Primarina is comparable to Sylveon with a similar stat distribution and performing the same role as a slow, powerful nuke and special tank. But Primarina has arguably better typing both offensively and defensively and objectively better coverage options: it's an excellent wallbreaker.
Admittedly, neither Water nor Fairy really has the room to utilize Primarina; her typing overlaps with Azumarill and Tapu Fini, even if they perform completely different roles. And while Primarina is a potent special nuke, both types have special attackers who are more faster or more flexible (Koko, Greninja, Magearna).

That said, the same flaws are true of almost all B and C ranked Pokemon, and I can't think of any other unranked Pokemon out there as broadly effective as Primarina. And while it's true Primarina doesn't have a defined niche, it isn't "outclassed" at what it does on either type: few other special wallbreakers are blessed with her combination of power, excellent typing, and super spammable STABs.

I nominate Primarina for C-rank on both Fairy and Water

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)