Project Monotype Teambuilding Competition V3.2 [index]

(Approved by Eien, hosted by MiyoKa and Quantum Tesseract, project taken over from ChildOfDisorder, banner by Zarif)
Moderator note: This thread was originally posted by MiyoKa. Ownership was changed to smub after he took over the project.

Hello and welcome to the Monotype edition of the Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced Mono players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a single Pokemon or a core of two Pokemon from a specific Type. It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! At the beginning of each voting stage I will open a poll with 5 randomly selected types. The poll will run for the 3 days leading up to the end of the voting stage. From there I will create a core, or choose one suggested by a user. After the submission period is over (which will be after a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get 3 days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core. This idea is like the CC (Core Challenges) Program except it lets anyone share their team!
Some rules I'm expecting people to follow:
  • Make the post presentable. Fancy cute sprites are encouraged! (Think about size though)
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core. If I wanted to look at a pastebin of some mediocre team, I would go to the RMT forum and hunt for the locked threads made by users with such pristine names like Pikachu77.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things or suggest changes that will make the team better. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jackass. Use hide tags when posting your team. Don't be that douchebag that makes everyone scroll down for an extra 5 seconds. If you don't put spoiler boxes, either fix it or I won't feature the team in the voting process.
  • Be creative! While there'll be no restrictions this time around, try to explore uncommon Pokemon if circumstances allow it. Channel your inner hipster.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people (i.e. you realize it sucks or gets 6-0ed by something), however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post. Once the voting period begins however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.
  • No banners or videos. They are annoying and clog the thread. If you do post a banner or video with your team, it will simply not be counted among the submissions without notice.

(Note: If a Pokemon is banned from the Monotype meta during a cycle, the ban will take place effective immediately. This means that you may or may not have to edit a team during a cycle.)
Happy building, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hall of Fame

Cycle 1: Jo' Z's Team
--------------------
Cycle 2: The Excadrill's Team
--------------------
Cycle 3: TheAce22's Team
--------------------

Cycle 4: Tied between stat1c's "Defying Generic: A Glass of Iced Tea"
&
@Ticktick's "Pre Ice-Age meets Modern Marvels and Inhabitants"

--------------------
Cycle 5: Aki Kino's Team
--------------------
Cycle 6: Tied between Escoffier's "Triple Choice & A Mole"
&
terrors' "Shore Up":

--------------------
Cycle 7: Alpha-Harpreet's "~A Sea Party~"
--------------------

Cycle 8: Tied between 6ti's "Shoutouts ORAS (But With a Muk)"
&
Alpha-Harpreet's "Hazard Stack Dark"
--------------------
Cycle 9: Tied between Alpha-Harpreet's "A Farm Produce"
&
Moosical's Team
--------------------
Cycle 10: iLlama's Team
--------------------
Cycle 11: Tied between Tyke's Team
&
Mateeus_1's Team

--------------------
Cycle 12: Jo' Z's Team
--------------------
Cycle 13: Izaya's Team

--------------------
Cycle 14: Tied between Alpha-Harpreet's Team

Kennyth's Team

Gratify's Team

--------------------
Cycle 15: Gratify's Team

--------------------

Cycle 16: Gratify's Team
--------------------

Cycle 17: Tied between The Excadrill's Team

Alpha-Harpreet's Team

EricSaysHi's Team

--------------------

Cycle 18: Alpha-Harpreet's Team

--------------------

Cycle 19: Alpha-Harpreet's Team

--------------------

Cycle 20: Alpha-Harpreet's Team

Last edited:

Main Thread and Rules: here

Cycle 11: Normal (even if Normal was used 2 weeks ago.)

+

Mega Audino and Staraptor!

The coming cycles will be centralized around new Mega Stones, have fun!

Building Phase Deadline: Saturday 15/04

(tagging Mateeus_1 )

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dazzling Bulk

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam

Overview
This is a bulky normal team,the core of chansey+p2+staraptor can handle most things in the metagame and ditto on the team deters opponents from setting up and sweeping the team. Diggersby helps wall break with a choice band set and can be brought in safely via uturn. Lastly mega audino is a win con with its calm mind set, especially late game.
Set Details
: Diggersby being a powerful wall breaker demolishes walls with its choice band boosted attacks that make it hard to wall diggersby. With a choice band it can 2hko the entire metagame with appropriate moves. Frustration is the main stab move here that hits very hard thanks to huge power. Earthquake helps in taking out steel types that resist the normal stab move.Fire punch is for flying and steel types like skarmory,celessteela etc.Quick attack helps in revenge killing or taking out a faster foe.
: Chansey on the team acts as a blanket check to special attackers and it fulfills utility roles for the team by providing stealth rock support to gradually whittle down opposing team and pressure types like flying,bug,fire etc. Softboiled is for sustain/recovery while toxic allows chansey to put a wall or a set up sweeper on a timer.Seismic toss is used here so that chansey is not a total taunt bait.
: Porygon2 with eviolite is very bulky capable of tanking most physical attacks for the team,As for the moveset it has thunder wave to stop threatening pokemon and to spread paralysis on switch ins. Recover for sustain and tri attack is used to deal reasonable damage to the foe. Hp fire deals with scizor as it gets the download boost as well.
: Defensive staraptor along with p2 helps in checking most physical attackers. Staraptor has intimidate which forces switches against physcial attackers. Defog is used to clear off hazard which may plague the team. U-turn is to generate momentum while safely bringing a teammate. Roost for longetivity and brave bird hits decently hard even when uninvested. 16 speed evs allows staraptor to outspeed adamant base 70 speed. rest evs in hp and defense to make it bulky on physical side.
: Since the team can be defeated by a set up sweeper,ditto fills in the role of deterring set up sweepers from setting up as ditto can simply copy the stat boost and be threat to their own team. Standard scarf ditto,not much to explain here.
: Mega Audino with its high bulk takes up the role of defensive pivot and utility pokemon by passing recovery to the teammates in the form of wish. Protect is used to scout moves such as vs keldeo and it also helps vs mega medicham. Protect in tandem with wish allows mega audino to recover health reliably. Heal bell allows mega audino to clear the team off status moves which may plague the team as the team is defensive and needs longevity. Lastly dazzling gleam is used to help vs types such as dark,fighting,dragon while also not making mega audino a total taunt bait.
So this is my team built around the core of staraptor and mega audino, I am open for suggestions and criticism for the team. Thank you for reading! ^_^

Last edited:
Core Audino Team

Audino @ Audinite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Double-Edge

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Return

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Focus Blast

Description:

Audino:
Let me state this once, and only once, Audino is NOT limited to just playing a Cleric niche. Obviously this is part of the assigned core for this team, BUT it plays a crucial offensive role. It's fully invested HP and defense make it able to tank most neutral physical hits without losing more than 45% of it's health. The predominant strategy here is always a WishMind technique. First move will be wish, second is calm mind, and you profit. Set up mid- to late-game for maximum usability. Flamethrower is for pesky steel types such as Ferrothorn and Snowslash while the stab dazzling gleam speaks for itself. When set up, she is nearly unbreakable.

Staraptor: Also a core mon for this team. Hey guys, I get it. "Scarf intimidate Raptor doesn't even make sense, scrub." Well, that is where you are wrong. You see, I have assigned a semi-support-pivot role to our saiyan-haired friend to combat serious threats such as Bulu and Mega-Cham. On switch in, attack is cut to 67% of what it was prior to the switch. This means no KO to a wood hammer or high jump kick while potentially being able to counter. Audino works great with a Staraptor switch in on a physical attacker because it has move Wish. It's simple really, let me give an example. Let's say Audino is setting up against a wall and has gotten one calm mind off. Tapu Bully is on the opposing team so obviously there should be a switch incoming if your opponent has any salt to his game at all. So instead of Calm Minding again, you use wish. Bulu comes in. Perfect. Now switch to Staraptor, intimidate activates, Wood Hammer hits taking it down in the ballpark of 68-81%. Oh no, we've lost our pivot! NOT. Wish comes through, heals Raptor to damn near full health and allows it to counter whatever is coming next.

Cancer Chansey: A staple on any normal team. Fully invested defenses allow it to tank a poop-ton of hits from almost any unboosted mon. Think of Chansey as a stall-crippling cleric, having both Aromatherapy and Toxic at its disposal. Seismic toss is for the constant 25-35% damage, depending on the mon, and crippling opposing walls. Soft-boiled is obviously needed for recovery. Any hit you are weary of Audino, or any of your mons really, taking, switch in to Chansey. Aromatherapy can also be subbed out for stealth rock if you aren't worried about statuses, however I recommend to keep the former due to this being a slower momentum team.

Porygon-Zweeper: The hardest hitting mon on the team with it's Z-Conversion+Adaptability arsenal. Not much needs to be said about Pory other than the fact that he is, in fact, fragile so don't go throwing him out super early in the game just for his existence to be excremented on. Save him for late-mid to late games as well unless there is a unscarfed Landorus about or an annoying Mantine >:).

Diggersby: The wall-breaking, stall-shaking, Toxapex murdering, wallbreaker. You can think of his role as a pseudo-revenge-killer. I do not run Quick Attack because I find there is no point when Choice Scarf already gives Diggersby enough speed to outspeed most nonscarfed mons in the tier.

Heliolisk: Lastly is our favorite utility attacker/hard-hitting pivot, Heliolisk! Running Volt Switch keeps momentum going while also allowing for a decent chip to be put into most things that don't resist electric. Thunderbolt is for Mantine any flying threat that isn't Landorus. Surf is for annoying bulky ground mons such as Hippowdon and fire mons like Infernape while focus blast hits all ice types, Heatran, and especially Kyu-B.

Thank you so much for your consideration and reading my team run-down! Any questions, comments, or constructive criticisms are welcomed!

Thanks again,

-Jake ^_^

Last edited:
re: to the 2 submissions above (and incoming submissions)
(implying that u guys are around to improve your skills and build a viable team)
  • Audino plus Staraptor is a defensive core, your team should be built around that, so basically your team won't be [Core] + [Stealth Rock] + [3 sweepers] but more like a balanced build with synergy, roles, ect.
  • What does CM Audino accomplish? It's just an odd set like Chansey CM or Porygon2 Z-Conversion, it's bad or / and outclassed. The set i'd recommand for a balanced / defensive team is Wish / Protect / filler / filler, with maybe an EV spread to OKHO somethin with Fire Blast or tank somethin.
  • This one is about description in general: most of the readers here know which moveset is for what, and what does what, imo, the ideal description should answer those questions: "How you did build the team?", "what threaten the team?", "How it works in practice?", explain if you use a special EV spread, ect.
no offense. It's nice to try new things, but let's make this a project with viable teams first, creativity comes after.

[EDIT]: JakeBevs can you put your description in a spoiler please?

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
re: to the 2 submissions above (and incoming submissions)
(implying that u guys are around to improve your skills and build a viable team)
  • Audino plus Staraptor is a defensive core, your team should be built around that, so basically your team won't be [Core] + [Stealth Rock] + [3 sweepers] but more like a balanced build with synergy, roles, ect.
  • What does CM Audino accomplish? It's just an odd set like Chansey CM or Porygon2 Z-Conversion, it's bad or / and outclassed. The set i'd recommand for a balanced / defensive team is Wish / Protect / filler / filler, with maybe an EV spread to OKHO somethin with Fire Blast or tank somethin.
  • This one is about description in general: most of the readers here know which moveset is for what, and what does what, imo, the ideal description should answer those questions: "How you did build the team?", "what threaten the team?", "How it works in practice?", explain if you use a special EV spread, ect.
no offense. It's nice to try new things, but let's make this a project with viable teams first, creativity comes after.

[EDIT]: JakeBevs can you put your description in a spoiler please?
Just to preface, I admire your concern by helping participants on what the team should be. I agree on your third point, the description part and what questions it should answer. I am using calm mind audino as it accomplishes the role of win condition for the team, as it has very good defenses and it becomes unbreakable after few cm boost.Also mega audino has a very mediocre special attack at base 80, hence to make it a threat and a win con I am using CM,dazzling gleam,flamethrower,wish set. I am all ears on your opinion on why wish/protect/filler/filler should be used. Thank you miyoka :]

Just to preface, I admire your concern by helping participants on what the team should be. I agree on your third point, the description part and what questions it should answer. I am using calm mind audino as it accomplishes the role of win condition for the team, as it has very good defenses and it becomes unbreakable after few cm boost.Also mega audino has a very mediocre special attack at base 80, hence to make it a threat and a win con I am using CM,dazzling gleam,flamethrower,wish set. I am all ears on your opinion on why wish/protect/filler/filler should be used. Thank you miyoka :]
You need protect on something which use Wish as its only way to recovery, basic. The second and most important thing it's because, with Fighting being good due to Megcham usable, Mega Audino with classic eviolite core and defensive staraptor is actually very anti meta and beats most Fighting type teams, Protect is needed to check Mega Medicham and scout Specs Keldeo and Scarf Terrakion, and unsure a reliable recovery to Audino. Calm Mind + Dazzling Gleam can go on the fillers, but there's also options like Heal Bell, because Chansey suffers from 4MSS and needs Stealth Rock, but I don't get flamethrower, it won't beat a well built Steel / Poison team and those kind of teams (Defensive Normal) isn't going to beat them anyway (unless you play pretty well and your opponent is kinda bad). If you want a Fire type move because you want to lure Ferrothorn / Scizor just go HP fire p2 or Fire Blast, but please, run Protect. Also you generally don't need a wincon in this playstyle, if you want one, run Duggersby/pz, it's better (but i don't recommand it).

Also you guys need to know that, this kind of playstyle, especially in the Monotype metagame, won't be able to handle every type/playstyle, build to cover the most possible but keep it viable and good

Stall Normal

Bewear @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Hammer Arm
- Return

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Transform

Audino @ Audinite
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
Bewear
is the main pokemon I wanted to build around, utilizing a fun substitute + bulk up set designed to break down balance builds like Steel and Poison. It is also the most reliable check Normal has for Bisharp and Mega-Scizor. Hammer arm is your fighting STAB, and the remaining move can either be Earthquake for best general coverage or Return for most offensive presence (though you're walled by ghost).

Chansey
is obviously going to be a part of any defensive normal team, being fat as all hell and a reliable stealth rocker and special attacker check. Seismic Toss keeps you from being passive.

Staraptor
is defensive, and is there to weaken physical attackers, sponge fighting attacks, and act as hazard removal for the team. This is the first half of the core.

Porygon-2
is is another blanket check to physical attackers and a better response to set up with access to Foul Play. Trace also offers utility in a number of cases (switch in on gyarados, lando-t, heatran, etc). Toxic, Foul Play, Recover are all mandatory, but the last slot can go to Tri Attack, Discharge, or Ice Beam.

Ditto
is our anti-setup and general gluemon to force out offensive threats and generate momentum.

Audino-Mega
is our second fat ass physical tank, and also our wish passer.Bewear benefits immensely from meaty wish passing, as it lacks reliable recovery to bolster their hearty bulk. This is the second half of the core.

Last edited:
I might post the team I made before with this core later. However, for now, Tyke how does a Pokemon with only Normal- and Fighting-type attacks "break Ghost"?

I might post the team I made before with this core later. However, for now, Tyke how does a Pokemon with only Normal- and Fighting-type attacks "break Ghost"?
Whoops.

I copy-pasta'd my description from the team i submitted to bazaar which used EQ + Hammer Arm. Edited

Last edited:

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Hoping mateeus is away for the week and probably has a lot of homework or w/e and can't use smogon.

Reserving, desc wip.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave

Staraptor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Rest
- U-turn
- Return

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Transform

Last edited:
Screw You, Porygon Two!

Audino @ Audinite
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpA
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Staraptor @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Trick
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

The star of the team. In this build, M-Audino's main job is to fit in as a support Wish Passer for the rest of its teammates, also pseudo-replacing Porygon2 as a physical tank, with the advantage of being a neutrality to Fighting (with the ability of potentially 1v1ing M-Medi with Protect + Dazzling Gleam combo, while at full health). Fire Blast is what I really wanted to abuse here, surprising wild M-Scizors and Bisharps trying the set-up on you, doing hefty chunks of damage on them. Dazzling Gleam works as a reliable STAB, Wish and Protect for safe recovery and support.
Chansey is pretty mandatory and standard here, serving as a exceptional special tank and supporter that goes really well with M-Audino and the rest of the team. Set is self-explanatory, Stealth Rock for the essential entry hazards, Seismic Toss as a mean of constant damage, Soft-Boiled for recovery and durability, and Toxic for whittling down attackers that can't get past the defensive core.
The required third part of the defensive backbone, Staraptor does the job to remove entry hazards for the team and to be useful as a defensive pivot. Another pretty common set, Roost grants longevity, Defog removes otherwise troublesome hazards, U-Turn grants slow momentum after forcing physical attackers with Intimidate, easing the process of bringing offense into the table, and Brave Bird makes the bird not Taunt-bait, hitting targets for decent power.
A beastly physical wallbreaker, Diggersby was needed at this point for offensive presence and type synergy. Gifted with Huge Power and Choice Band, it can break hard-to-pass by walls such as Toxapex, Celesteela and Skarmory, while 2HKOing most of the meta. The Ground typing is also pretty fundamental for the team, being mainly useful in Poison, Steel and Rock matchups, which the team struggle the most with. Return and Earthquake are powerful STAB's, U-Turn keeps momentum in a right-timed switch, while Wild Charge does fine as a filler move, keeping Skarmory, Celesteela and Pelliper from switching safely into the bunny.
Having a pretty good buff with sweeping capabilities, Rubber Ducky-Z was my next pick. Even though I really prefer Ghost's immunity to Fighting and good overall coverage, Electric was the choice here for its ability to dismantle Steel, Fairy and Bug better with HP Fire + T-Wave immunity and provide team synergy along Diggersby and Staraptor. The set overall is pretty straightforward, Thunderbolt as the main move, Conversion for Porygon-Z to get going, and Ice Beam + HP Fire as coverage.
For the last slot, a revenge killer was something to be desired, since the team lacked speed control. That's where Meloetta comes in, disposing of a usable 95 base speed combined with a good offensive presence/coverage to patch most remaining holes. Psychic is the main STAB of choice here, chosen over Psyshock for power on a scarfed set; it can guarantee the OHKO on Keldeo/Terrakion after rocks and 2HKO every variant of Toxapex/Mega-Venusaur. Trick cripples walls in general, locking them into one move and thus rendering them almost useless, giving momentum for the team, while Focus Blast and Energy Ball rounds the set well, making up for most Steel-, Water-, Ground- and Rock-types.

Last edited:
forgot about this, was busy yesterday so here we go

as usually, vote for 2 submissions max

my vote goes to tyke's

(edit: this ends tuesday)

Last edited:
yo this is done.

Mateeus: 3 Votes
Tyke: 3 votes
HNBL: 1 vote.

Tyke and Mateeus both win this cycle, thanks to everyone who participated, Cycle 12 will be posted shortly after and teams will be added to the HoF

tagging Eien to merge this

akaFila

butterscotch love
- TagTeam-Steel Ground -

Hippowdon @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 92 Def / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Sludge Wave

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Rock Slide
- Gravity

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

WIP
: Standard sand-setting sponge built to take special punishment. Hippo will be your means of setting hazards in rocks, as well as allowing you to pocket a free pivot via Eject Button.

: The physical beat stick of the team, and your driving force on offensive pushes. For the set, I find myself preferring LO as opposed to Band simply for the fact that you aren't forced into heavy predictions near as much. Rapid Spin fills the final slot as the team's sole means of hazard removal, namely Webs.

: Mamo plays a role kin to anti-threat. Given a Focus Sash, Mamo allows you an alternative option to deal with threats you may not have means of handling outside of Exca+Sand. This slot also comes in to better aid the Grass/Fairy MUs, Bulu. As opposed to running Superpower, I've opted out for Knock off.

: Ground builds need a sponge, simple as that. Seis offers an offensive presence Gastrodon lacks completely. Specs is the item of choice for highlighting Seis's hard-hitting capabilities, and speed investment allows you to outrun slower/uninvested opponents(i.e. MegaSciz, Magnezone, Bulu, ect).

: The team's main source of throwing punches specially, and the ridiculously, much needed Gravity setter. Simple Gravity+3 Moves Lando outside of the fact that I chose to carry Rock Slide over Sludge Wave/Psychic. While Rock Slide's usefulness can be debated considering the presence of Gravity, but I've liked what I've gotten out of the tech. Sludge Wave really only found time against Tapu Bulu, which will carry Scarf, and I have other answers for the Bulu threat elsewhere. Where Rock Slide comes into play is for the mons such as Charizard, Volcarona, Araquanid. Potential pains for the team to work around which can be better managed / eliminated through the use of Rock Slide.

: The tank. Just a normal SleepTalk CurseSlam Steelix built to stack stats while absorbing punishment from the opponent. A big seller for MegaLix is the fact that it can stand up to the nuisance that is Bulu.
8 Atk Steelix-Mega Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 282-332 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Steelix-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 232-274 (65.7 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Steelix-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 156-184 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Steelix-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 156-184 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
Sandless Ground Monoteam

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Roar
- Earthquake

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is a sandless ground team to sway away from generic sand builds and bring something new to the table.This team is similar to the team I posted in monotype team bazaar.
-The team revolves around mega steelix acting as a physical sponge while providing support such as stealth rock and phazing with roar. It also checks tapu bulu to some extent with its heavy slam.
-Seismitoad on the team with an AV set can sponge special attacks decently for the team,176 speed evs with a timid nature ensure that seismitoad will outspeed adamant banded bulu and kill it with sludge wave.
-Mamoswine on the team is a wall breaker with its awesome ice ground typing which is very good offensively.With a choice band set mamoswine hits very hard opening up walls or denting the team to be easier to clean with other members of the team.Adamant nature is used for more power.
-Landorus therian with its double dance set is a very addition to this team as it appreciates the weakening of walls by mamoswine+nidoking. Landorus T can set up rock polish vs offensive teams to clean/sweep or it can set up swords dance vs defensive or bulky builds to wall break as well. Rockium z in tandem with stone edge allows landorus T to break through walls such as skarmory,celessteela and gliscor after a swords dance.
-Nidoking is the special walll breaker of the team here with its strong sheer force boosted attacks and good coverage moves,it makes the match up vs annoying walls like celessteela a lot easier.
-Excadrill,scarf mold breaker set is used as a speed control for the team and to check common threats such as scarf tapu bulu. With mold breaker excadrill can hit through levitate which also helps in taking out annoying rotom wash.Pretty standard set.
So,this is my team for the contest.A team without sand to bring something new up. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Mega Steelix Sandless Ground

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Gravity

Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Firium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal
- Memento

Landorus-Incarnate: Landorus-Incarnate serves as the team's special wallbreaker. Earth Power is its standard Ground STAB. Focus Blast is for Ferrothorn, Porygon2, and Kyurem-Black. Sludge Wave is for Fairies like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, and Clefable. The final move is Gravity to help Scarf Excadrill and SD Garchomp spam Earthquake more freely, while also being able to OHKO Celesteela and Zapdos.

Mega Steelix: Mega Steelix, the main mon of the cycle, is filling the role as our physical tank and Stealth Rocker. Heavy Slam is the Steel STAB to hit Tapu Bulu and Alolan Ninetales. Toxic is to wear down opposing hazard setters like Swampert and Hippowdon. And finally, Dragon Tail is used

Excadrill: Excadrill serves as our Scarfer. EQ and Iron Head are its basic STABs. Rock Slide is for Zard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Volcarona. Lastly, Rapid Spin is used for emergency hazard removal.

Seismitoad: Seismitoad is near mandatory on offensive Ground teams due to its Water immunity and ability to check Belly Drum Azumarill. 176 EVs with Timid guarantees that it outspeeds Adamant Choice Band Tapu Bulu. Scald and Earth Power are its main STABs. Sludge Wave is for the previously mentioned Tapu Bulu, as well as Azumarill and Tapu Fini. Finally, Knock Off is extremely helpful utility against annoying tanks and walls, especially Normal's Eviolite core.

Garchomp: Garchomp is the team's setup sweeper. Outrage and Earthquake are its most powerful STABs. Fire Fang, alongside the Firium Z, can help break through pokemon such as Skarmory, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu after a +2. Alternatively, Dragonium Z can also be used to break through Gliscor and Mega Slowbro.

Dugtrio: Dugtrio is important for trapping and removing threats like Greninja, Victini, and Alolan Raichu. EQ is its mandatory Ground STAB. Sucker Punch helps to revenge kill Gengar, Latios, and Alolan Raichu under Electric Terrain. Reversal lets it get off a powerful last attack against Ferrothorn, as well as OHKOing Greninja should it go for Ice Beam to bring it down to its Sash.

Last edited:
What is a VR?

Mega Steelix + Rhyperior Bulky Offense
Ability: Sand Force
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recover

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Description
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-567807402 - nuff said

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)