Move Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Today in #smogon, in passing, Hipmonlee asked us what the base power of the move Flash Cannon was. When I went to make sure, it struck me that information such as this isn't displayed on any of Smogon's move pages.

We have secondary effects of the moves displayed where applicable, as well as all the Pokemon that learn the move. While that's awesome, I can't help but feel that we're overlooking the core details. For the users of a competitive battling community, being able to quickly check up on the the following is surely desirable:
  • Base power
  • Accuracy
  • PP (min/max perhaps)
  • Type
The following may not be entirely necessary, but could be noteworthy in certain situations:
  • Contact Move?
  • Pokemon hit in 2v2
Now, I acknowledge that its no small feat to add all this stuff, and if we go for it, we'd need to agree on a uniform method of displaying this extra data. It could perhaps be approached in the same way base stats are displayed, but we can go into that later. I also acknowledge that there's a ton of stuff going on right now, but even if just data collection was started now, that'd be a huge start.

I'm willing to help in whatever way I can to get this done. zerowing has already expressed interest in helping out, and I'm sure there will be more people interested too.

What do you guys think?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Great idea and good catch. I'd be happy to help out with this project, as I'm not involved with anything else at the moment.

I'm just wondering over what other additional information can be added? Is it worth adding things such as:

- Is it blocked by Substitute?
- Does Taunt restrict it?
- Does Protect/Detect block it?
- Does weather have any effects on it? (for example, SolarBeam's power halves in Sand, but requires no charge in Sun etc.)

Information like that seems helpful and befitting of a competitive community, but could be excessive in some cases.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
BK talked to me about this on IRC and I'd be willing to help wherever I'm needed. (Gathering data or whatever else is needed)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think chaos had said that the moves as they display on the site right now are work-in-progress. I suggest you check with chaos first whether the information you're going to gather is already available to him or not, so as not to uselessly do work that is already ready.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
You can't do this. I already have all of the data. There is more than enough to do right now at Smogon, you shouldn't be looking for more to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)