SM Ubers Necrozma-Dusk-Mane HO (Peaked 1727, #27)

shooting star

formerly Jirachirite
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Welcome guys. Coming back to a new USUM generation after a brief hiatus, I thought it would be fitting to build a standard HO team to familiarise myself with the new mechanics, since offense has always been my favourite playstyle. I have had reasonable success with this team that I came up with and thought it will be nice to share what a typical HO team looks like and how it operates.
upload_2017-12-1_21-43-21.png

• The Pokemon are actually chosen quickly without much thought, but they incidentally work quite well together.
  • Besides Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Excadrill was added for being a general superb lead.
  • Xerneas and Yveltal because Fairy and Dark typings are great.
  • PDon being standard, and Arceus being standard as well. Ground-typing was chosen to provide extra insurance in case PDon falls.

Now onto the team.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill has always been a popular lead for good reason. Sets up rocks while spinning hazards away, although it has to be wary of Marshadow leads. Rock Tomb provides great utility in reducing the speed of opposing Pokemon like Taunt users and Defog Arceus, ensuring that you get next first turn in setting up rocks. Killing off Excadrill with lowered speed also paves a way for PDon to blow up Eruptions, which helps in gaining momentum. Be wary of Timid Yveltal leads as well because them being faster means you cannot Rock Tomb and SR simultaneously.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Precipice Blades
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I simply love special PDon. Special PDon is becoming standard (it should) and for good reason. Eruption is a great nuke, and Fire Blast is there for backup as its health decreases. Precipices Blades is stronger than Earth Power and also helps PDon to fight special walls like Blissey. HP Ice is there to catch Intimidate Salamence off guard since they always like to switch into PDon. Unfortunately, its reliance on Eruption for nuking leaves it more vulnerable to PKyogre switching in, and is also complete fodder for Ho-oh. Maximum speed to ensure more first-turn nukes whenever possible. Modest nature as I do not wish to compromise on its defenses.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 148 HP / 132 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Rock Polish
- Sunsteel Strike
- Swords Dance

This team is based around this mon. EV set is copied from the forum (not exactly sure of the meaning behind the numbers lol). Necrozma-Dusk-Mane serves as a primary check to opposing Geomancy Xerneas, and Photon Geyser is there for STAB and that powerful Z-move once it ultra boosts. The beauty of this mon is its flexibility to ultra boost depending on circumstances. It would be wise not to ultra boost recklessly to take advantage of its Steel typing, which has numerous useful resistances and a great immunity to Toxic. Ultra boost only if you no longer see the need to capitalise on its Steel typing or when you require a jump in speed to outspeed the opponent. I use a Double-Dance set for cleaning/sweeping purposes, although unfortunately it is harder to set up in practice because scarf Yveltals immune to Photon Geyser will always be flying around to click Foul Play.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Offensive Xerneas in general should always be running either Geomancy or Choice Scarf (to fight Marshadow). In this case I use Geomancy as it is a great tool not only to clean up, but also to wallbreak and exert immense pressure once its checks like Necrozma-Dusk-Mane are killed or weakened. Unfortunately yet again, it is not easy to simply click Geomancy since Necrozma-Dusk-Mane is everywhere. Focus Blast to hit steels like Ferrothorn, and Aromatherapy coz otherwise this team becomes way too vulnerable to statuses. Speed EVs to outspeed 279 speed mons like my PDon.

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- U-turn
- Foul Play

An HO team should ideally be running a Scarfer to outspeed majority of the tier, especially since faster mons like Marshadow and Naganadel are being added. Common scarfers are the XY legends. Scarf Yveltal is used here to fight Mewtwos and SD Arceus with Foul Play, and also to capitalise on U-turn to get the momentum in your favour. Timid over Modest because the extra jump in speed proved more useful than the extra power.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Groundceus has always been a good sweeper, although its job has become harder with Marshadow's arrival. It also serves as this team's primary check to Ho-oh with Stone Edge. Extremespeed over Recover because picking off weakened opponents with a +2 priority move is more important. I considered Ghostceus for awhile to be the spinblocker, but the lack of Stone Edge makes this team more vulnerable to Ho-oh. Necrozma holding a Z-crystal means it cannot run Black-Hole Eclipse, hence I still stick to Groundceus.

Hope you guys enjoyed the team! Playing simple HO is a good way to familiarise yourself with the Ubers tier and the new USUM mechanics. Notable threats to this team include Ho-oh and PKyogre, but the purpose of playing HO is to exert continuous pressure and leave little room for your opponent to gain momentum as far as possible. It also involves numerous double switches, so some prediction skills are required.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-667345957 (vs Bulky Offense)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-667343223 (same team ^)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-666399508 (vs Bulky Offense ft. Mega Latias)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-666341956 (vs Ho-oh team)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-666210426 (vs Offense)

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Precipice Blades
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 148 HP / 132 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Rock Polish
- Sunsteel Strike
- Swords Dance

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- U-turn
- Foul Play

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)