NEW Battle Spot Community Interviews

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Howdy Battle Spot fans, this is the new thread for Battle Spot interviews, which I'll be running from here on out!

This will mostly be a community resource, so we'll be trying to interview as many people as we can. Notability isn't gonna be that strict so if you have a suggestion for our next interviewee (or YOU would like to be interviewed) feel free to request it! We'll also have guest interviewers too, so it (hopefully) won't be just me each time.

This isn't gonna follow any regular schedule because interviews take a while to do and schedules are hard. But we'll see how it goes! Old interviews can be found in the old thread here.

Interviews so far:

#1: cant say

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Interview #1: cant say

Hulavuta: Hello cant say, how are you etc. (gonna fill this in later) can you tell us a bit about yourself? age, location, career, hobbies, interests, bank account info, etc.

cant say: Hey, so I'm cant say. I'm a 24 year old dude from Melbourne, I'm 6'8" and play a lot of volleyball, that should answer all sans bank account, lol.

Hulavuta: Okay, and as I understand it you are one of the very few people active on Smogon who has a girlfriend. How did you manage to do that?

cant say: LOL. Um.

I met her at a party my volleyball club was running as a fundraiser. Turns out she was also a volleyballer and I had never seen her around, which is weird 'cause the volley community here is relatively small. We hung out a lot and I tricked her into watching Breaking Bad with me. I dunno how but it sorta just happened naturally from there.

Hulavuta: Okay, cool. So I'm a volleyball player myself, just for fun though. As you know I once broke my arm playing and had to get part of it replaced with metal. What's the funniest volleyball accident you've ever had?

cant say: Funniest? I have no idea about that, I've had a lot of serious ones though.

Hulavuta: Sure.

cant say: Mostly just rolled my ankle a bunch of times. So it's permanently fat now, which is kinda funny I guess.

But I've been hit in the face a lot off people's spikes. One time I was blocking and copped it close range, I nearly blacked out and had to sub myself off for a few minutes.

Hulavuta: So what exactly do you do in volleyball? You're a coach and a ref?

cant say: And player!

Hulavuta: Are you like a legit professional or what? What's your level of qualification?

cant say: Well, I play in the Australian National League. We have sponsors and train a lot, but there isn't enough money to actually pay any of us so we all work as well.

Volleyball in Australia just isn't big enough (yet), so you really have to go to Europe if you want to get paid, even though some of the leagues are weaker than ours.

So I guess I'd consider myself "semi-pro"??

Hulavuta: Did you have to go through any formal education or training?

cant say: I'm not sure what you mean by "formal", I guess there's the Australian Institute of Sport here, which is where you go to train for the national team. I've been there a bunch of times, but never stayed on scholarship, just training camps. There's also an academy here in Victoria that I trained with but I don't do that anymore, it's mostly for younger players.

Hulavuta: Alright, so let's get to the main thing people are here for.

cant say: ok

Hulavuta: So you were actually a Battle Spot community member before I was, what made you get involved with the forum? Were you a GBU player? what was the forum like back then (Think like October 2013 - May 2014)?

cant say: Yeah, so I've been playing Nintendo's 3v3 singles since I was a kid in the form of the battle facilities. I never did well at them because I was a filthy casual and I had no idea about EVs/IVs etc.

During Gen 4, I started to learn about them, and Gen 5 was when I bred a few bad things. I got bored of the Battle Subway and decided to try the GBU. I really only remember using a shiny Luxray that I PokeRadar'd in Platinum, not much else though.

But I played the last online competition of BW2 which had no banlist. I used Deoxys-Attack and Thunder Wave Kyogre and had a lot of fun, and because of that I wanted to get into XY Battle Spot asap.

One of my first teams had special Sharpedo (which we talked about together!!) and Togekiss. I got like mid 1700s and figured I wanted to get better.

Back then it was just you, ethan06, Age of Kings (rip), myself, and a few others trying to keep the forum alive. At the time I mostly just posted in OI and lurked the rest of the site, I think I got into the Battle Spot forum because of its small size. It was really easy to integrate into, and I made friends there quickly. When AoK disappeared to decided to make me a mod and I've been stuck with you guys ever since.

Hulavuta: Alright, so your name is a well known meme and joke around the site...I don't imagine much thought or history went into it but can you tell us a bit about why you picked that name? And what is the best cant say pun you've heard if you remember it.

cant say: Lol, do I really wanna give away the secret?

Hulavuta: Yes. Don't say that you can't say why.

cant say: Haha. Tempting.

Hulavuta: Okay, so what is it?

cant say: So the name comes from a club / venue I used to go to.

Hulavuta: Wow, not just a random phrase.

cant say: I'm a huge fan of music, but I really like live music and going to gigs. So yeah, I really like electronic / hip hop / trap etc. and I used to go to this place; CANT SAY, a lot 'cause they just played these filthy beats all the time. And the place was cool, it was built into these parallel brick tunnels under a train station. They used to be bank vaults, I think.

Hulavuta: Is this it: https://www.facebook.com/cantsaymelb

cant say: Yeah, haha. Except they've changed venues since and I haven't been there yet.

Hulavuta: That's cool.

cant say: Yeah. And there was basically no dress code, just wear whatever. Like I saw a guy in a poncho and trackies one time. I've never been into "nightclubbing" but this place was something else.

So yeah, when I was signing up for Smogon, I didn't have an online alias that I went by or anything like that. For some reason, I was thinking "what's my username? cant say... hehe" and I just went with it.

As for the puns, I literally get them every day and I can't really remember any of them.

Oh, actually, there were A LOT of cant say puns when you announced my promotion. And you had to tell them off. That was funny.

Hulavuta: Nah, not really. It was just one. Or two. But anyhow.

cant say: Feliburn's was good: "No puns because I cant say them." And Mhykah: "I'm late so I cant say all the good puns since they've been taken."

Hulavuta: Alright, I got another q. Who is a user you really look up to on Smogon, and why?

cant say: Oh, hmm.

Hulavuta: Try to avoid obvious answers, and shallow ones.

cant say: Well, coming from OI I used to really look up to Stellar / nerd. He always had cool thing to say about stuff and he was an admin etc. so of course me being a new user, I thought that was cool. He was also very professional but friendly, which is something I try to emulate with my modding.

Hulavuta: Nice stealing of my answer dude, why not think of another user?

cant say: Lol, okay.

I used to look up to RODAN in a way when I was a newer user. I used to read his articles for The Smog and random stuff in Firebot and just thought h was funny. But he was also the butt of a lot of jokes but he always handled it well. And mostly in funny ways.

Hulavuta: Wow, that's an unexpected answer.

But the correct answer was me.

You failed.

cant say: You said to avoid obvious answers. And shallow ones.

Hulavuta: Dang, okay.

Okay, next question. Since your name is cant say, I will give you a few answers that you cant say.

cant say: Lol, okay.

Hulavuta: Name three users that you see becoming big contributors to Battle Spot in the future, and rank them in order. You cannot pick anyone who already has a badge or status in the Battle Spot room.

30 seconds on the clock.

Time begins now.

cant say: Kompletely Broken seems like a good user, but needs to curb his emotions.

Hulavuta: Doesn't count. Try again.

cant say: Damn, lol.

I need to actually think about this one.

We just voiced a bunch of people so they're off limits.

Ten minutes later...

Hulavuta: Okay, if you are really stuck then we can just go with one answer, lol.

cant say: I was thinking Jhon.

Well, I was thinking maybe freekhoorn too.

Hulavuta: Oh, okay. One more.

cant say: And a#s.

Hulavuta: Okay, good answers. We'll use them.

cant say: Should I explain them, or just have them listed?

Hulavuta: Oh yeah sure, explain them. I'm sure they'll be happy to see it and then that would encourage them to contribute.

cant say: Okay, um.

Okay, so first I'm thinking Jhon. We already know he can play because he came first in the damn world in the Little Cup online competition. I'm not sure how much he plays the regular Battle Spot formats though, but he's taken part in our Wi-Fi tour and played well, making it to the loser's bracket semi-final! I'd love to see how far he could go on the cart ladder, we need people like him to report back and possibly help out with analyses and stuff like that.

Second is probably freekhoorn, what I like about him is his creative / unorthodox teambuilding. Using stuff like Reuniclus and Avalugg and managing to get respectable ranks on the cart ladder with him, so he can obviously play. I really like trying to think outside the box with teambuilding, rather than just using goodstuffs teams. And I think it's good to have more innovative players like him, you never know. Those players could be the ones that stumble onto a new thread!

Last is a0161613.

Hulavuta: Do you think he needs to get a name change before he can become respected?

cant say: Hmm. I mean yeah, maybe. But it's kinda his thing. You see the numbers and the Luxray avatar and you know it's him. Lol, it would at least be easier to talk about him instead of using a#'s, haha.

(Should I talk about why he's good, or...?)

Hulavuta: Yea.

cant say: Anyway, like I said he's a pretty solid member of the forum community. He's been around Wi-Fi for a while, and I think it's cool that he's come across and stayed. It would be cool to see him maybe run a couple forum projects or hang out in the PS room a bit more so people recognize him.

Hulavuta: Okay. Hmm, there are a lot of good questions to ask you, to be honest. But not all Smogon related, lol.

Okay, keeping discretion in mind, what were your thoughts about the Kangaskhan suspect in hindsight? As I understand it, it became a bit of a PR nightmare.

cant say: Yeah, so I might have gotten a slap on the rist for that one, lol. I still think it was a good/funny idea, but it could have been done a little more sillier so it was more obvious. Apparently a lot of people were legit fooled and thought we were overstepping our boundaries as Smogon.com

Hulavuta: Yeah, on April 1st, no less.

cant say: In their defense, it was posted after midday. Personally, I was really satisfied with how the thread OP turned out and was really excited to post it. Shoutouts to bobochan for the banner which looked like it came right from the PGL.

Hulavuta: How shocked were you to see that people think Smogon isn't even above messing with official formats?

cant say: Well, I mean, that was the angle I was trying to go for. People have trouble understanding that Smogon is Smogon and Nintendo is Nintendo, and think we "ban everything". I thought it was funny to reinforce that.

Hulavuta: Hence the PR nightmare.

cant say: Ya. But there of course were people who got it, and played along and made it funnier. But yeah, I think next year we'll have to play it safer, lol.

Hulavuta: Okay, and thoughts on my amazing post?

cant say: Haha, your post had me stressing out. People were falling for the Khan "test" so I thought that people would also fall for your post and think I was some total d bag of a mod, going behind your back. I was so stressed out with everyting going on that I didn't even notice you spelled out "A P R I L F O O L S" with your paragraphs. Lol, so I guess the joke was on me in the end.

Hulavuta: Yeah, that was one of my finer moments, to be honest. Pretty proud of that one.

cant say: Haha.

Hulavuta: It was actually DragonWhale's idea to make it spell out April Fools. I happened to have the perfect number of paragraphs, so I just added them in later on.

cant say: Damn you.

Hulavuta: I like how a lot of people couldn't tell if it was real or not.

cant say: I didn't!

Hulavuta: It was a warning shot of sorts. I have enough dirt and the roasting power to destroy every single one of you...be glad that I use that power responsibly...

cant say: Lol, don't mess with the bull.

Hulavuta: Okay, turning back to Pokemon for a bit. What's a Pokemon everyone uses that you think sucks and should not be used to much? Roast as hard as you can.

cant say: Hahaha.

Driflblim!

Lol, nah. Hmm, I really don't know, to be honest.

Hulavuta: Yeah, most of the most used Pokemon are actually good.

cant say: Yeah, you've really gotta scrape the bottom of the barrel for bad mons.

Hulavuta: And now it's time for ~ V I E W E R M A I L ~

cant say: *crowd cheers*

Hulavuta: 6tennis from Orlando, Florida writes: "What other metagames do you like to play?" Besides Battle Spot singles, I assume.

cant say: Hi 6tennis and thanks for the question. Is randbats a meta? I like to play that. I barely play Smogon tiers anymore, if at all. If I were to get into something properly, it would probably be LC or UU.

Hulavuta: Interesting, because I wanted to be a UU superstar if you remember from my old interview.

cant say: I also don't mind VGC, even if I suck at it.

Hulavuta: That segues well into my next question. NOVED from Massachusetts writes: "If there was a Battle Spot random battle format, would you abandon singles for that?"

cant say: LOL! Good question. I wouldn't say abandon, but if that was a format on actual Battle Spot in-game, I would play it a lot.

We wanna make it a format on PS, but it will take a lot of work. But yeah, I don't see it as a total impossibility, if they can have Challenge Cup on Pokemon Stadium, and Battle Factory in the old Battle Facilities.

Even if it was just random battles with just the Maison Pokemon list, that would be fun.

Hulavuta: Okay, so another question from NOVED that I have some opinions on too: what do you think about being a subforum under the main Smogon? Are you happy running things as a part of Smogon? If a Battle Spot forum showed up on Nugget Bridge or the PGL made an official one (lol, not happening) would you wanna migrate over there? OR would you post on both?

cant say: Oh, hmm.

I mean, I'm already massively involved with Smogon, I have a lot of friends and all that. It's kinda like "would you move schools if another school had the same thing?" So yeah no, not at all.

Hulavuta: Yeah, I agree. And Smogon has a lot of useful infrastructure and resources, like the dex. And a lot of users.

cant say: I mean NuggetBridge is fantastic for VGC. But I've lurked their online competition threads and they aren't really active. And I think a PGL equivalent would be so overrun with randoms.

Hulavuta: True that. Smogon has quite a big userbase, you can post something and then get a like on it in like 5 minutes usually.

cant say: So yeah. But yeah, Smogon as a whole is great I think, no reason to move. Even if our meta has nothing to do with "Smogon" formats, it's about being around good players and the difference experiences they can offer. And we can use all that to teach new players.

Hulavuta: I personally agree, I think Smogon strives to be supportive of all formats. We get all the support and resources that we need, to be honest, we just need more users.

cant say: Yeah, that's what I was about to say. Smogon should just encapsulate all competitive Pokemon. And I'm glad that we have the biggest Battle Spot community, I want Smogon to be known for that.

Hulavuta: Okay, three more. NOVED asks: What are your thoughts on Smogon BS tournaments? Japan has had similar grassroots tournaments for BSS and other BS formats. Do you think the tours here will become an important part of our community?

cant say: Yes, definitely. Smogon is known for its tours in general, so we should be trying to utilize that, even though Battle Spot is a ladder-based metagame.

We're in the middle of our first Wi-Fi tour which has been really exciting. I think if we back it up and make it a regular thing it could really boost our userbase.

Something other tiers / formats do is host Premier Leagues, and we've actually been planning our own Battle Spot Premier League. These things are super entertaining, being a team event and all. So yeah, look out for news on that as it develops. We've also been thinking of ways to run ladder tournaments (since that's what Battle Spot is based on) but it's tricky because you can't just make alts in-game and play. So it might have to be a seasonal thing.

Hulavuta: Okay.

Favorite Star Wars movie and character and why.

cant say: Lol, good q.

The first one I saw was Episode VI, which was the only one we had on VHS. I used to watch it a lot, so it holds a lot of nostalgic value and to be honest, it's kinda hard to look past that.

Chewy is easily the best character though.

Hulavuta: Is it because you look like him?

cant say: Maybe.

Hulavuta: Alrighty.

cant say: I could talk about Star Wars all day, but I'm getting kinda sleepy, haha.

Hulavuta: Same, but we gotta wrap this up.

cant say: Ya.

Hulavuta: Alright, our final question. We're gonna end this one out on it.

From NOVED:

Using your coaching skills, can you give us a motivational speech for Pokemon battling?

cant say: Thanks for all the questions, devon. Shoutouts (pizza shop name).

Hulavuta: Lol.

cant say: Lol, motivational speeches are probably my weakest part of coaching.

I guess never give up when your back is against the wall. With luck on your side, you can do anything! Lol.

(Which is why I use hax strats)

Was that motivational enough?

Hulavuta: No, but it was subversive enough to still be interesting.

cant say: Lol.

Hulavuta: Good to have you cant say, do you have any last words?

cant say: I'm thinking of last words, lol. How to sign off...

Hulavuta: cant say. cant say how to leave.

cant say: Yeah, but I cant say.

Hulavuta: Okay, we're done.

cant say: Bye.

That's it for this round's interview! Feel free to leave any follow-up questions below and bug cant say to answer them! And request who you'd like to see next.

How long have you played volleyball?

What is your favorite pokemon to play around with?

Do you have a favorite music artist? If so, who?

Hula you should interview bobochan next

Last edited by a moderator:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Dude cant say how are you so tall what even? This is a serious question.

Also how do you put up with Hulavuta and his memes?

Are there any other games you play regularly? Besides Mario Kart?

Do you say pizza or pie?

How are pizzas down unda?

Favorite pizza topping(s)? Mine's chouriço and pineapple.

Best pizza place in Melbourne?

Ever traveled to another country and ate pizza there? If so, how was it?

Do you ever eat pizza while you play pokemon? I do quite often.

What pokemon would you wanna go out for pizza with?

cant say: Thanks for all the questions, devon. Shoutouts (pizza shop name).
Np bro

What's your favorite color?

Any underused mons in BSS that you'd like to see rise in usage?

What's the highest ranking you've ever got ingame for any Battle Spot format?

Is your girlfriend anywhere around your height or is she just a shrimp compared to you?

Will you ever give us your bank account info?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
What is this "Breaking Band"?

Does your girlfriend like/play pokemon?

What's your favorite pokemon game?

Have you ever been out of Australia?

Are you a fan of the most terrible thing I've ever tasted, Vegemite?

Who should be interviewed next?

Boxers or briefs?

Most fantastic spectacle of hax you can roll off the top of your head?

"Hulavuta: Name three users that you see becoming big contributors to Battle Spot in the future, and rank them in order. You cannot pick anyone who already has a badge or status in the Battle Spot room. "

Me, myself, and I, obvs. Who else runs an entire dead metagame section by themselves? :P
But in all seriousness I liked the answer lol.

Have you ever pet one of your local and bizzare marsupials?

Did you know your toilet flushes backwards?

Favorite Mega?

Eviolite Tangela or AV Tangrowth?

How does it feel to dunk a basketball?

Who do you think will win the nba championship?

Do you have any tips on how to grow taller besides sleeping?(being 5'9.5 sucks :/)

Is it really cold right now in Australia?

What was your favorite online competition?

Besides sky battles, what would you like to see as a special ladder?

What's your favorite food?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't get past the 1500s. How do you do it >_<..... :^)

Did you ever throw a pokeball at a kangaroo thinking it was kangaskhan?

Favorite volleyball meme

TeamSun or TeamMoon?

Speaking of which, what are the plans for SunMoon on this forum?

Can't say I agree with you there, man.

HUE HUE HUE

*ahem* Nice interview, Hula. Few questions for you, cant say.

Do you have a favorite meme? Explain why.

What is your favorite Pokemon in general?

What's the best pun you've ever seen someone make about your username?

Do you like your username color, and what do you wish it could've been?

Why do you get enjoyment out of playing hax? You monster.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First I wanna say thanks to Hulavuta for taking the time to do this with me. I felt really bad because I was late for the scheduled time and disappeared sporadically because my internet was not cooperating with me at all. Glad to see people enjoyed it at least! Anyway, better get on with this so I can start posting again lol...

How long have you played volleyball?
I've been playing volleyball since I was 13/14. It was the only sport my highschool had so I had no choice (except doing nothing, I guess). I barely knew what it was before then and wasn't really that interested in even giving it a shot tbh, but I did and I loved it right from the start. I think it was because I had been playing basketball since I was about 6 and being a tall goofy kid I was just put in the to get rebounds and let the guards score, whereas in volleyball they wanted me to do all the spiking, so I liked the spotlight.

What is your favorite pokemon to play around with?
Hmmm I'm really not sure, I find it hard to choose a favourite anything because I like lots of things haha. I think Glalie is the best for 'playing around with,' pulling off Moody sweeps is pretty funny.

Do you have a favorite music artist? If so, who?
Refer to above, lol. I listen to a lot of stuff so picking a favourite is really hard... I guess Flume has been a favourite of mine for a long time now, although I haven't really been loving his new stuff recently. He has a new album coming out this month so hopefully that's good. Apart from him, it's pretty close between guys like Toro y Moi, Kaytranada, Chet Faker and Mr Carmack.. This is where I plug my soundcloud like list, you'll get an idea for what I listen to from that.

Hula you should interview bobochan next
I agree, bobo next.

Dude cant say how are you so tall what even? This is a serious question.
lol I dunno man, my family is mostly above average height, but I'm the tallest by far. There's only one person I know personally who's taller and he's ofc a volleyballer. There are taller guys in the national team though which is why I'm not in it :(

Also how do you put up with Hulavuta and his memes?
I don't, they eat away at me constantly. I'm always on edge, wondering when the next attack will be.

Are there any other games you play regularly? Besides Mario Kart?
Not so much these days, I've never even really been much of a "gamer," Pokemon is a special case I guess. I haven't upgraded to xbox one / ps4 yet so all my stuff is outdated and my 360 is on its last legs. When I was playing that a lot I was really into the NBA 2k series and Forza Motorsport (xbox's gran turismo). Coz I'm stuck with heaps of old stuff I usually just go back to things for nostalgic purposes, like sometimes I'll get the urge to just play through all of Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter or some other random game / series I grew up with. I really only play Mario Kart, Splatoon and Sm4sh on Wii now lol

Do you say pizza or pie?
Pizza

How are pizzas down unda?
Good

Aussie (ham/bacon, egg, onion)

Best pizza place in Melbourne?
literally cannot recommend any one place. I've never had a bad pizza in the city, the local places up near my house kinda suck except for one place which is really good

Ever traveled to another country and ate pizza there? If so, how was it?
I've only ever been to asia and they didn't have pizza there :(

Do you ever eat pizza while you play pokemon? I do quite often.
yeah but it makes the buttons all greasy so I try to avoid it. thank god for L=A tho amirite?

What pokemon would you wanna go out for pizza with?
Meowth, he had that job as a pizza boy so I feel like he'd know his stuff.

What's your favorite color?
Green

Any underused mons in BSS that you'd like to see rise in usage?
Mega Altaria, I've used it a fair bit and it's really cool. I get that the DD set has some really tough competition in Dragonite, Mega Salamence, and Mega Charizard X, its physical Fairy STAB competes with Mega Mawile and Azumarill, and Sylveon does Hyper Voice better, but I dunno, it just works. I've also noticed that Serperior's usage has been dropping a lot since almost breaking the top 12, I still think it's solid and people should use it.

What's the highest ranking you've ever got ingame for any Battle Spot format?
I've gotten into the 1800s a few times but I just don't have the time to push for higher, it already takes so much just to get there. I also change my teams a lot and lose a lot as a result, so I think I should just try to make a push with one team and see how far I can go.

Is your girlfriend anywhere around your height or is she just a shrimp compared to you?
She's like 6'1" which is great.

Will you ever give us your bank account info?
definitely not on purpose.

What is this "Breaking Band"?
Breaking Bad. Hula missed a typo

Does your girlfriend like/play pokemon?
Apart from watching the anime as a kid, no. I got her to play Blue on the virtual console and she liked it though!

What's your favorite pokemon game?
Pokemon Conquest. They need to make a second one asap

Have you ever been out of Australia?
I've played volleyball in Asia but that's it. Never been interested enough in travelling to actually do it. I've been thinking of trying for a contract in Europe and travelling there in the offseason but undecided at this point.

Are you a fan of the most terrible thing I've ever tasted, Vegemite?
Yes. Vegemite with cheese on toast for breakfast is a staple

Who should be interviewed next?
I think bobo would be entertaining.

Boxers or briefs?
boxers at home, briefs everywhere else.

Most fantastic spectacle of hax you can roll off the top of your head?
That I've done? I can't remember tbh, I've haxed a lot of people and been haxed just as much. Most recently I was in a match where I just got totally outplayed, I ended up with only Raikou left against their SpD Heatran and Mega Gallade, to win I literally needed to get the Thunderbolt para on Heatran and have it be fully paralysed that same turn so I could 2HKO it without taking damage (10% x 25% = 2.5% chance) which I got and won the game, lol.

"Hulavuta: Name three users that you see becoming big contributors to Battle Spot in the future, and rank them in order. You cannot pick anyone who already has a badge or status in the Battle Spot room. "

Me, myself, and I, obvs. Who else runs an entire dead metagame section by themselves? :P
But in all seriousness I liked the answer lol.
haha yeah you're doing well so far, keep it up and maybe someone else will answer with you ;)

Have you ever pet one of your local and bizzare marsupials?
yes, all of them.

Did you know your toilet flushes backwards?
did you ever consider that mine goes forwards and yours goes backwards...??

Favorite Mega?
aesthetically? either Tyranitar, Steelix or Metagross. battling? probably good old Heracross.

Eviolite Tangela or AV Tangrowth?
ew why use AV Tangrowth? Eviolite Tangela all the way for that Leech Seed + Sleep Powder.

How does it feel to dunk a basketball?
yeah really good, before my most recent ankle / achilles injury I was at my fittest and was able to actually do flashy stuff, pulling one off in a game made you feel alpha as fuck. I've just been rimgrazing for the last 12 months, but I also haven't played basketball since then either. In the volleyball offseason I wanna get back into it but that's a long way away

Who do you think will win the nba championship?
Spurs. I want to see Cleveland win now that Boston is out though. I never had high hopes for my Rockets, it was at least nice seeing them take a game off the Steph-less Warriors...

Do you have any tips on how to grow taller besides sleeping?(being 5'9.5 sucks :/)
um, genetics? lol, it's not like there's exercises you can do :( maybe one of those medieval torture machines that stretch you out? sleep in that

Is it really cold right now in Australia?
Ya. The summer weather lasted way longer than usual which was really nice, Autumn weather has only just hit with trees losing their leaves etc., but it's gotten super cold in the last week or two

What was your favorite online competition?
hmmmm I'm not really sure! I really liked the Little Cup one, Pikachu Cup was really fun too but I didn't get to play in the actual thing because I was overseas at the time. The Eevee Friendly was also cool. I think I'm gonna have to say the Fairy Face-Off though. It had such a limited list of eligible mons, and one HUGE threat in Mega Mawile, it looked like it would be stale as fuck but I came up with some niche builds and really enjoyed it. A meta where special Life Orb Mawile, Specs + Switcheroo + Calm Mind Klefki, and Synchronoise Mega Gardevoir is good is a fun meta.

Besides sky battles, what would you like to see as a special ladder?
RANDOM BATTLE / CHALLENGE CUP

What's your favorite food?
can't look too far past a chick parma

I can't get past the 1500s. How do you do it >_<..... :^)
ditch the team you've worked really hard on and use boring shit

Did you ever throw a pokeball at a kangaroo thinking it was kangaskhan?
I've never had Pokeball toys :(

Favorite volleyball meme
volleyball memes don't really exist lol. There's a facebook page for them but it isn't very good... I'll just post some funny videos

this one was huge when I was a kid just starting out.

TeamSun or TeamMoon?
#teamsun for sure, if only for Mega Solrock. Ohmachi kinda ruined Sun and makes me wanna play Moon though. But who am I kidding, I'll get both...

Speaking of which, what are the plans for SunMoon on this forum?
No specific plans just yet. The transition shouldn't be too hard though, it will be similar to XY > ORAS imo. The games will just be introducing new threats (albeit probably a lot of them) to an already existing metagame. I can't imagine it changing too much unless they scrap megas or make it 6v6 instead or something... We're pretty lucky in that we'll have all of Smogon working on finding out about the new mons moves / stats / abilities etc. so it's not like we have to do much. I think we'll try to work on quick and dirty analyses though so we have content onsite before writing real ones. I know Theorymon has a lot of plans for that area...

Are people asking you too many questions?
no lol this is fun (even it is taking me ages to work through them)

Will you have time to answer them all?
yeah definitely, just don't feak out if I don't reply here for a day or so, it just means I'm working on them in one post.

Can't say I agree with you there, man.

HUE HUE HUE

*ahem* Nice interview, Hula. Few questions for you, cant say.

Do you have a favorite meme? Explain why.
I'm not really much of a memer tbh, I do spend a lot of time chuckling at memes on Facebook though. I think the Starter Pack memes are my favourite... I think Drake ones in general are usually pretty good, like most of the Hotline Bling ones were pretty clever, and now the whole Views thing going on now. The GTAV mashups people are doing are cool.

What is your favorite Pokemon in general?
Despite the whole Aegislash thing I have going on here with my banner and PS with the avatar, he's not actually my favourite, definitely up there though. I've really liked Articuno since I was a kid, so I think that wins (it's listed as my favourite on my Smogon profile), but I have a lot that I like for different reasons. I really liked Magnemite / Magneton from the days of steamrolling Johto with them in GSC. Gen III has the best regional dex imo, and I loved playing through Sapphire as a kid and finding all the new mons, I always tried to use Sharpedo, Solrock (required trading because I had Sapphire), and Glalie in my playthroughs because I thought they were sick. Regice was also my favourite Legend back then. Sinnoh was pretty forgettable for me and have no real favourite from there except maybe Leafeon. Unova has a great dex imo and I have a lot of favourites from those games like Victini, Darmanitan, Sigilyph, Haxorus, Golurk, and Volcarona. Zoroark is my favourite from there though and probably my second favourite overall...

What's the best pun you've ever seen someone make about your username?
Hula already asked that :(

Do you like your username color, and what do you wish it could've been?
Refer to GateCreeper's question... Yeah I really like the green I got.

Why do you get enjoyment out of playing hax? You monster.
Sometimes when all your skillful plays are getting nullified by hax you need to bite the bullet and fight fire with fire. I definitely would not class my playstyle as "hax" at all, but I do like gimmicks and sometimes those gimmicks rely on some luck :)

----

If you've made it this far and not given up a few questions in, you're now at the 3K portion of my post! It's been almost a year since my 2k so I thought I would have a whole bunch of cool things to talk about but I don't. I guess Hula and I both got contrib badges for running our (then new) C&C section, and most recently I became an official team rater! Speaking of which, you guys all need to go and showcase your teams there so I can maintain it more of your guys can join the club. I also got global driver on PS which I'm still getting used to (a lot of the stuff I get PMed with there I have to ask about before answering, lol) but I'll have it all figured out soon... That's about it for Smogon / Pokemon stuff, Battle Spot keeps chugging along nicely. There isn't heaps to do since this is the tail end of ORAS, so I've been trying to actually play more, but my most recent attempt at a ladder run has been disastrous, I've played like 50 battles and I'm still in the 1500s :( my record against 1600+ opps has been really good though, it's just all the terrible haxy losses to 1500 and lower opps that is balancing out my score...

as for irl stuff, I played in the Asian Club Volleyball Championships which was fucking amazing. Our team was really strong and we played great, but then we came back to play our national league season and didn't even make finals. We just had way too many injuries (including one of my own) and ins / outs to play consistently. Our state's league has just started again, we made some huge changes in the offseason (including a new coach) and ngl we look like a top 1-2 team tbh. I got named captain which I'm hyped about since this is my 10th season with the club.

I've been trying to convince my girlfriend to watch more tv series with me after the success of Breaking Bad, but all we've really done is watch Avatar, lol. She didn't like Airbender but did like Korra (girls, amirite?).

If anyone saw my post in the Photo Album thread they would have seen I've been growing a mo for the last 4-5 months. I don't know why I started or why I still have it (apart from it being glorious). I'm both really satisfied with how it's turned out and constantly annoyed by how inconvenient it is, but I'm too attached to trim it back, let alone shave it off. Here's a current progress shot, it def needs a trim so this will prob be as long as it gets...
moustache (smaller).png

And that's pretty much it! I guess some shoutouts are in order...

Hulavuta I fuckin love having you back here in full swing, I've seriously been enjoying the forum more with you around.

ethan06 alum badge when? you should also snapchat more imo

DragonWhale it's always good to have some company during the dead hours of PS. You're fun to talk to and a good pal, maybe one day you'll get voice if you keep improving :^)

NOVED I don't feel so guilty about hax strats when it's not just me doing it, at least neither of us have sunk down to Tacticat (yet)

GroudonEmpire #teamgarchomp should play some more pokken sometime, I don't think I've picked it up again since our last session. come play mk8 y/y

aniravjain Lebron has got this

bobochan keep being you

Psynergy your analyses here are better than your serebii potw's but i won't tell them you try harder here

Joint Cena if you were on here as much as skype we'd have to give you mods

6tennis get better at kart imo

kamikaze17 one day you'll be a full blown singles player, the transformation of Psynergy.G is almost complete

Nelson Tangela it's been so good having you come back and spending heaps of time with us in the room. you need to put all that knowledge to use imo

Theorymon thanks for being the workhorse / ideas guy. let's just hope we can actually do something with all those ideas lol

CoolStoryBrobat the RO we need, not the one we deserve. it's been cool seeing you get back into it all too

unfixable you're nice

Happen imma get better at randbats so I can beat you without CTing

TheMantyke shoutout4shoutout. seriously though it's cool seeing you pop in here every now and then

rufus drumknott come back

the giveaway guys: shiny finder / vzxt / cannibal / Most / Esmeya / Mattapod / Albus / anyone I missed; thanks for being so good at what you do.
socmed bosses: antemortem / tennisace thanks for keeping me around, #bankhan though imo

OI / Maison guys: DHR-107 / NoCheese / Codraroll / MikeAU / Karxrida / The Dutch Plumberjack / turskain you guys are so chill, I love hanging out with you when I get the chance. Codra was robbed

I think that's about it, if I've missed you then I'm v sorry but I've had this tab open for almost 2 days writing bits and pieces in and figured I just need to post so I can start foruming again lol

cheers :toast:

edit: I missed a few quote tags lol

edit 2: Oh I forgot a big one; I made an irl friend! FlaredGhosts GO COBRAS lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)