NFEs in UU

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think that Piloswine could possibly serve as a decent SR lead, with its similar stat spread to Mamoswine in OU. A set of Stone Edge/EQ/Ice Shard/SR with a Sash beats Froslass with SE + Priority and can guarantee SR if you absolutely need it up early. It also

Unfortunately, it loses to Ambipom and Uxie, so it'll probably be dead weight against any team with either of them as a lead.

I've been playing around with a Togetic on my ~justforalaugh account, and it can be suprisingly sturdy with proper scouting. If it can find a way to switch in (CB'ed EQ's are hard to come by these days) it can last quite a while. As well, UU or NU doesn't really have a better Serene Grace abuser, so it's not like its outclassed.

I would theorymon this set

Togetic @ Leftovers
252HP/4Def/252SpD
Calm
Serene Grace
-Twave
-Tri Attack
-Roost / Nasty Plot
-Light Screen / Baton Pass

Roost/Light screen present a special defense/para spreading set. Come in and check certain special threats, setting up light screen to help itself and (less so) others, to help others switch to light clay. After a Twave it will be outspeeding some pokes so roost will become effective changing its typing. Its totally walled by things like rhyperior, steelix, chansey and things that substitute before togetic can Twave (togetic should twave first to catch anything on the switch).
Should check Venusaur if something has been slept already (grass, ground should do much). Porygon might have too much power for it, it cant hurt mismagius but milotic may find it difficult if roosting before the ice beam.

Nasty Plot/ Baton pass looks a better option to me. if the Twave is successful it will near certainly get off a Nasty Plot, it can then Tri Attack or pass. Imagine an alakazam, a moltres, a raikou with a Nasty Plot or, as i prefer, an Octillery. Togetic is against Ambipom in the Nasty Passing category. Its advantage is that it can use the boosts itself better, it has better (special) defense, it has twave and it has surprise factor. It does miss taunt though.
My main problem with this set is Twave. Whats the point in using Tri-Attack's 40% chance of status with Serene Grace if your just going to Twave something anyway? The main point of using Togetic, to me anyway, is to abuse Serene Grace since it is already vastly outclassed in the Nasty-Passing game by Ambipom and Persian.

I've been using something like this to good effect:
Togetic @ Leftovers
252HP/4Def/252SpD
Calm
Serene Grace
-AncientPower/ Silver Wind/ Ominous Wind
-Tri Attack
-Roost
-Substitute

Switch into something that is either going to switch out or that can't hurt it, Sub on the switch and work from there. Tri-Attack will, in most cases, status the incomer in one go, and has the added benefit of dealing some damage, however pitiful it maybe. whenever it's been statused (hopefully burnt, but any is good) AncientPower/ Silver Wind/ Ominous Wind away to high hell and pray for the now not unlikely chance of his (her?) stats skyrocketing. Now it becomes a different beast altogether, and can actually sustain hits and hurt things in return. Ominous Wind and Tri-attack have perfect coverage ( I think anyway), but the aim of this set is not to sweep, so it doesn't really matter. Sub/ Roost to protect from status and regain HP when times are tough. Rinse/ Repeat.

EDIT: Ghost+ Normal is resisted by almost all steel-types
except the ones with ghost-weak scondary type, such as Jirachi, Bronzong, Metagross and their evolutionary families. Thak you for pickng this up.

how do they resist ghost?

Anyway, have used machoke and electabuzz, bith really good.

Pikachu is decent, faster than moltres, can come in and wreck shit.

I might not be a professional in UU, but I've used several of the NFE Pokemon and some were quite good, some weren't.

Monferno: It wasn't that bad as a lead, it has Priority and Base 81 is good in UU and it got great coverage. However its quite weak(Base 78 Attack and SpA) and the high base power of its moves doesn't really make up for it. I recommend Magmar over Monferno because it has higher stats(65/95/57/100/85/93 compared to 64/78/52/78/52/81) and it gets the same Priority move and a similar movepool(Magmar gets Cross Chop while Monferno gets Close Combat) and Magmar gets other neat moves such as Psychic.

I've also used Electabuzz in UU as a mixed sweeper and the results were good, It got great coverage aswell as out-speeding some of UU's biggest threats such as Moltres and Venasaur, and can get a 2HKO or maybe even an OHKO on them(probably if it ran 252 SpA) but overall it was good.

I also used a Choice Scarf Gabite as a revenge killer, it quite strong for UU and it got a few OHKOs on some pokemon such as Moltres and Mismagius. it can force switches on some Arcanine.

I've used Monferno, and I didn't think it was very good to be honest. It could be worth considering in NU though.

I thought Electabuzz was good, having stats as good, or better than a lot of fully-evolved Pokemon.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There really is no reason to use Electabuzz when you can use Manectric. The only "pro" Electabuzz has over Manectric is its ability to beat Chansey without relying on Specs Switcheroo.

Have to love Piloswine, I've used two different sets in UU so far, one as a lead (constantly changing) and the other as a straight up revenge killer:

Piloswine @ Focus Sash
Adamant
252 ATK / 252 SPE
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Protect / Endeavor / Toxic

It has the bulk and attack to stay around for a while, giving it later chances to Stealth Rock. The most common taunters are terrified of STAB Earthquake meaning you usually get your own. Not a horrible option like I would have thought.

The much better set is the straight up "Ripped from Mamoswine" Choice Band / Life Orb

Piloswine @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Adamant
252 ATK / 252 SPE
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Bite

The main appeal here is you have an immunity to Thunder Wave with a powerful STAB and an extremely reliable answer to Torttera / Venusaur. Mamoswine draws in Moltres like a champ and so Stone Edge is usually the first option. Bite is to catch Rotom on the switch-in, but should be used sparingly. This thing can really mess with stall, as Earthquake/Ice Shard is eliminating a ton of the major players such as Chansey, Altaria, Drapion, Omastar, Torterra, etc. The biggest issue is the Toxic Spikes weakness, and Toxic weakness in general, but that's not extremely hard to fix.

What I really want to do is exploring the EVs. Piloswine has 101 Subs at its access, and I want to use these really bad in order to basically set up and dominate Chansey. I think there are plenty of good things Piloswine can do with adjusted EVs that really create a threat.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I might not be a professional in UU, but I've used several of the NFE Pokemon and some were quite good, some weren't.

Monferno: It wasn't that bad as a lead, it has Priority and Base 81 is good in UU and it got great coverage. However its quite weak(Base 78 Attack and SpA) and the high base power of its moves doesn't really make up for it. I recommend Magmar over Monferno because it has higher stats(65/95/57/100/85/93 compared to 64/78/52/78/52/81) and it gets the same Priority move and a similar movepool(Magmar gets Cross Chop while Monferno gets Close Combat) and Magmar gets other neat moves such as Psychic.
Monferno's main attraction is the fact that it can use Nasty Plot, and unlike Ninetales, the other NP Fire type in UU, he can OHKO Chansey with CC while Ninetales would get walled. It also has Swords Dance should you wish to use it, too (Although NP is usually much better)

EDIT:
Some damage calcs:
+2 Grass Knot from Naive LO Monferno vs 252/0 Milotic: 84.26% - 99.49% (74.36% chance to OHKO)

Has anyone tested Dusclops as for NFE. I think it would be a little underwhelming imo but with the right support it would fill the same task of dusknoir in OU, sit here and take hits. Unfortunately he lacks recovery bar painsplit which is meh.

True that. I used to run something like the following. Worked occasionally.
Poliwhirl @ Leftovers / ???
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)

Hypnosis / Encore
Belly Drum
Waterfall
Return / Body Slam

Gives you good coverage, hitting everything besides Shedinja for neutral, I believe. Relatively easy setup once either, a) Hypnosis hits, or b) you Encore a water move from a slower water type, like Milotic or something. Then you Belly Drum up and attempt to sweep.

Body Slam if you prefer paralysis, but you'll probably need the extra damage, since.. well.. you're a Poliwhirl
I'm not a UU player, but why don't you use Poliwrath or Politoad? They are both NU/UU as well.

65/65/65/50/50/90 Poliwhirl
90/75/75/90/100/70 Politoed
90/85/95/70/90/70 Poliwrath

Is +20 speed really worth it? You aren't getting past things like Milotic, Venusaur and Registeel any time soon with those attacks. Not to mention anything with priority just murders you.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
+20 speed is well worth it. Don't forget, one of the biggest Speed benchmarks in the UU metagame is the base 80 Speed benchmark, and you'll be able to outspeed them (If you use Salac Berry, you'd at least tie with Scarf Moltres).

Has Seadra been brought up? It's lacking the sweet Dragon-Water typing and Draco Meteor, but it could potentially run a DD set really well.

Monferno is pretty much outclassed by Blaziken, it only has a 1 base speed advantage and all its other stats are worse. I'd drop it.

Monferno is pretty much outclassed by Blaziken, it only has a 1 base speed advantage and all its other stats are worse. I'd drop it.
Its got Mach Punch and Close Combat though, while Blaziken has to settle for superpower and vacuum wave. Vacuum wave, under certain circumstances, may or may not be better than mach punch, but Close Combat is definitely better than SuperPower.

shrang

General Kenobi
Its got Mach Punch and Close Combat though, while Blaziken has to settle for superpower and vacuum wave. Vacuum wave, under certain circumstances, may or may not be better than mach punch, but Close Combat is definitely better than SuperPower.
This is not to mention Monferno also has Nasty Plot and Grass Knot, something Blaziken wishes it had. That 1 extra Speed point is also very critical, as Monferno now doesn't care about Venusaur and Fire Blasts/Flamethrowers it to death while Blaziken needs to consider speed-tying with it.

Anyone yet mention a DDance Pupitar?
It has bad typing (as for Tyranitar), but it gets STAB on earthquake! With one DDance (max speed), you get 331 speed, outspeeding all 95 speeds and your standard Miltank. 400 attack is reached after a DDance, higher than 130's. With stone edge, earthquake, and crunch/pursuit, you can hit anything in uu for neutral as I beleive. Very common threats are destroyed (ex: Moltres, Frolass, Rhyperior, Uxie, Altaria etc.).

Pupitar @ Life Orb
Jolly
6 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
Shed Skin
DDance
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Crunch/Pursuit

Here are some calcs (after one DDance):
-Using Stone Edge-
Support Altaria:139.5% - 165%
Defensive Dancer Altaria:146.3% - 172.9%
Special Sweeper Moltres:322.7% - 381.3%
Morning Glory Arcanine:162.4% - 191.5%
Encore Clefable:64.7% - 76.1%
Guts Activation Swellow:274.3% - 324.1%
Pure Attacker Lead Spiritomb:73.5% - 86.8%
Sweeper Scyther:405.7% - 478.3%
Nasty Plot Mismagius:136.6% - 161.5%
OU Offensive Rain Special Ludicolo:100% - 118%
Nasty Plot Houndoom:281.5% - 331.5%

Umm....you get the idea, this thing kills with ONE DDance. Pull off two? Well....
Support Cressilia w/ Crunch:48.2% - 57.2%
Taunt Calm Mind Mewtwo w/ Crunch:104.5% - 123.2%
Great Wall Lugia w/ Crunch:62% - 73.1%

Yeah this thing could qualify UU.

and serious, it gotta feel awesome to sweep someone with NP/SD monferno, i used SD monferno for great sucess to tell the true, people laugh at me for using but once i sweep they asses they just shut up.

shrang

General Kenobi
Anyone yet mention a DDance Pupitar?
It has bad typing (as for Tyranitar), but it gets STAB on earthquake! With one DDance (max speed), you get 331 speed, outspeeding all 95 speeds and your standard Miltank. 400 attack is reached after a DDance, higher than 130's. With stone edge, earthquake, and crunch/pursuit, you can hit anything in uu for neutral as I beleive. Very common threats are destroyed (ex: Moltres, Frolass, Rhyperior, Uxie, Altaria etc.).

Pupitar @ Life Orb
Jolly
6 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
Shed Skin
DDance
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Crunch/Pursuit

Here are some calcs (after one DDance):
-Using Stone Edge-
Support Altaria:139.5% - 165%
Defensive Dancer Altaria:146.3% - 172.9%
Special Sweeper Moltres:322.7% - 381.3%
Morning Glory Arcanine:162.4% - 191.5%
Encore Clefable:64.7% - 76.1%
Guts Activation Swellow:274.3% - 324.1%
Pure Attacker Lead Spiritomb:73.5% - 86.8%
Sweeper Scyther:405.7% - 478.3%
Nasty Plot Mismagius:136.6% - 161.5%
OU Offensive Rain Special Ludicolo:100% - 118%
Nasty Plot Houndoom:281.5% - 331.5%

Umm....you get the idea, this thing kills with ONE DDance. Pull off two? Well....
Support Cressilia w/ Crunch:48.2% - 57.2%
Taunt Calm Mind Mewtwo w/ Crunch:104.5% - 123.2%
Great Wall Lugia w/ Crunch:62% - 73.1%

Yeah this thing could qualify UU.
I was thinking of Pupitar before as well, but then you realise Rhyperior does exactly the same thing but better. After a Rock Polish, he gets higher Speed AND Attack, so there isn't much point in using Pupitar except for Shed Skin abuse, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)