NU NU League Express - Stage 2 (Playoffs - Round 1)

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
cohosted by the great Disjunction

Welcome to the wonderful, annual NU seasonal format, the NeverUsed League. This year, between a combination of Pokemon Showdown usage errors and general complications, there were several delays in the release of the NU tier. As a result, the traditional format for NU League would have taken too much time and pushed us off schedule for next year's schedule for NU tournaments. In addition, we would have struggled to make any meaningful impact on the upcoming Smogon Championship.

As a result, we have decided to host an equally competitive format in a much shorter amount of time. This is the NU League Express, a two stage tournament that divides players into groups in a round robin best of one series to determine the best in each group. The best players from each group will move on to a 32-man, single elimination, best of three bracket.

Rules and Such
A couple of things to note:
  • All challenges must be made with the NU format.
  • All matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!

Smogon Battling rules:
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two (2) of the same species of Pokemon on their team, based on National Pokedex Number. For example, a player cannot have two Koffings on his or her team.
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokemon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokemon
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokemon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause: A player cannot use a move that has a chance of instantly KOing an opposing Pokemon. For example, Horn Drill or Sheer Cold are illegal moves.
  • Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Self-KO Clause: If a player uses a recoil move to cause a draw, that player wins. If a player uses Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song to cause a draw, that player loses. If a draw would be caused by a hold item or ability that causes recoil to the opponent, the player that controls the Pokémon with the hold item or ability wins. (This clause helps determine the winner of what would be called a tie in DPPt. Later generations do not apply this clause, because their cartridge mechanics will prevent ties from happening.)
  • Endless Battle Clause: A player cannot use a combination of items / moves / abilities to force a game that will never end (example: Recycle / Leppa Berry / Heal Pulse, etc).

Round 1

Microwavable vs. HJAD
Twixtry vs. Finchinator
Garay oak vs. PursuitOfHappiny
zben
vs. Laurens
SANJAY vs. Jarii
Shaneghoul vs. FLCL
Pokedots vs. Megazard
Lycans vs. Real FV13
Gunner Rohan
vs. Eternal Spirit
meeper123 vs. PrescientProphet
Azx vs. Fardin
TraceofLife vs. Confide
HANTSUKI
vs. didi
p2 vs. zugubu royale
Pohjis vs. Robert Alfons
Quite Quiet
vs. Spl4sh

Highlight Match:
Shaneghoul vs FLCL

The deadline for this round will be Friday, September 8, at midnight EDT.

All battles are Best Of Three and all replays must be saved and either sent to me privately or posted in the thread

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
I am going to try to get as many people as possible to post their predictions in here, and to do so, the person who gets the most predictions right will win a honorary mention in the NU Wall Of Fame if I can get our moderators to do so. Anyways here are mine:

Microwavable vs HJAD - should be a logical pick - HJAD is an NU vet and Microwavable has no remarkable accomplishments aside from beating King UU in PSPL last year. He did make playoffs however so anything can happen, he does have a good grasp on the tier as he's shown.
Twixtry vs Finchinator - same as above, finch is the obvious winner in this matchup and im willing to bet he takes this, but twixtry is a decent player and could very well make the upset happen, but in any normal scenario, finch should win this.
Garay oak vs PursuitOfHappiny - a difficult one, both decently well paired in NU, I think my boy will have what it takes to beat garay. Garay is probably a slightly stronger player, but tends to run the same building style over and over, which puts PoH in a slight advantage
zben vs Laurens - not really sure, havent seen anything from zben yet this generation, and have seen mixed results from solidsweeps' side. could go either way
SANJAY vs Jarii - don't think sanjay plays the tier as much as he did in gen 6, and jarii has been playing sm nu non stop from the moment it came out, so the obvious pick here is Jarii. Sanjay has pulled off bizarre wins before in NUL though, so its not a 100 against 1 call
Shaneghoul vs FLCL - this is a really good matchup and i hope to see / stream this one live. really hard to call, but i see FLCL coming out on top in a very close series here.
Pokedots vs Megazard - unsure, havent really seen much from either player in SM NU but I know megazard has access to a wide variety of teams. Favoring him a bit here, but not entirely sure.
Gunner Rohan vs Eternal Sprit - gunner put up more consistent results in NUPL, but im interested to see how es does after his amazing groupstage run, going 6-0 i think..? should be one of the better series here
meepsvictory vs PrescientProphet ----- nothing much to add here, prescientprophet is by far the more threatening player and i do not think meeps has played sm nu at all. prescientprophet however has been one of the most active contributors to the nu metagame and has helped shape it like it is now. meeps is just a washed up oldfag who tries to be slick. should be somewhat of a 90 - 10 scale
Azx vs Fardin - no clue
TraceOfLife vs Confide - confide is the better nu player i think, where trace is probably more consistant in RU and other tiers, confide somehow always makes it happen and gets far in NU tournaments
HANTSUKI vs didi - dont know anything about didi besides the fact that he has a verlisify avatar, and hantsuki is a veteran. should be a logical pick, but you never know what's gonna happen
p2 vs zugubu royale - havent seen much NU from either player but i know p2 has access to strong teams so he should come out on top
Pohjis vs Robert Alfons - both are solid players overall, pohjis maybe a little bit more than fagtron, but fagtron has way more experience in SM NU and access to a load of nupl teams. should be another good series to watch.
Quite Quiet vs Spl4sh - i think its finally time for QQs tournament debut and this would be a good kick-off. he's one of the most experienced NUers and has (probably) peaked the ladder at some point. also, his good pal bb8nu or whatever contstantly provides him with teams.

ok lets try this.

Microwavable vs. HJAD - going with HJAD here, NU veteran with more experience in SM NU (probably)
Twixtry vs. Finchinator - Finchinator being Finchinator, idt he will allow himself to lose in R1
Garay oak vs. PursuitOfHappiny - both good players, but PoH overall looks to be more consistent and doesnt look to be commited to one team style only like garay is, risky call but going with PoH
zben vs. Laurens - picking zben because again Laurens didnt make the best impression in NUPL , zben played the tier a fair amount and seems to have some solid builds
SANJAY vs. Jarii - How could I not pick Jarii here. Jarii knows everything about the tier there is to know, he is playing well atm, so I think he got this.
Shaneghoul vs. FLCL - tough call. Can't really explain why, but I have a feeling FLCL has the upper hand here.
Pokedots vs. Megazard - We'll see
Lycans vs. Real FV13 - Lycans is a good player, i am going with my gut here lol
Gunner Rohan vs. Eternal Spirit - going with gunner, played a good amount of SM NU and looks to be a good player overall, dont know about eternal spirit, but this is playoffs anything can happen :o
meepsvictory vs. PrescientProphet - ok without trying to meme, meeps is one of the best if not the best SM NU player, and I dont see him losing at any point
Azx vs. Fardin - I dont know either player so i dont wanna make a call :|
TraceofLife vs. Confide - completely biased here. go trace!
HANTSUKI vs. Didi - same as Azx vs. Fardin, no idea
p2 vs. zugubu royale
Pohjis vs. Robert Alfons - Robert Alfons plays a good amount of NU, should give him the advantage here
Quite Quiet vs. Spl4sh - go QQ!

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
other calls:

Megazard vs Pokedots - Pokedots hasn't been online on either Smogon, Discord, or PS since Monday, and has not put in any effort to schedule the match, while Megazard on the other hand, being the tryhard that he is, has been online every day since playoffs went up. This is a clear cut activity win for Megazard
Gunner Rohan vs Eternal Spirit - no worries, according to your guys' VM conversation you should be playing today.
Microwavable vs HJAD - same as above, if you get it done today there's nothing to worry about :)
Pohjis vs Robert Alfons - please play ASAP, neither of you seem to have put in an extreme amount of effort into getting the series done, but you both are fairly active; i'll give you guys the weekend to play, please get it done by then because otherwise i'm coinflipping.
p2 vs zugubu royale - p2 receives a win due to his opponent bringing an illegal Pokemon.

that's all, round 2 should be up either this afternoon or tomorrow morning (european time).

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)