Walrus NWA: No Weebs Allowed Walrus

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Category 2 Headers:

Walrein 7.26

Reset - Mute Math

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

i could do without the screaming in the crowd but this is dope. not gonna lie right after revealing cat 2, this is the first that i'm interested in not actually fast forwarding.

einto 7.24

Tongues - Joywave

man this is an oldie lol (funny how quick things age). haven't heard it often. this song actually feels really flawless overall.

LightWolf 7.14

Time On My Side - Homestuck

very creative use of this video game soundtrack, mad feels around, execution is nice. this definitely seems like a walrein cat winner.

Lil Bean 6.97

Domination - Sean&Bobo

this beginning oddly reminds me of pokemon gsc or hgss w/either ruins of alph or infiltrating team rocket. this is also college snype's jam. loving the beginning. OH MAN I LOVE THE DROP HOLY FUCK. While I do feel this falls into the same trap as zorbees' song, there's something more about this song that just commands power about it, but man I would use this for a club mix.

Rare Poison 6.45

The Less I Know The Better - Tame Impala

accidentally found the song while looking for something to submit hah. the beat's all right, i like the guitar's rhythm, and the vocals aren't horrible.

vonFiedler - 6.24

I Was Made For Lovin' You - Kiss

horrible message of a song, but quite catchy. I like the notes of the song a lot is why I think I really like it.

Bluedoom - 6.17
ruhe - schiller

hella trance. i do like it though. is dreamy. i wanna zzz

KnightsofCydonia - 6.14
Swingish - Infected Mushroom

P2X7 - 6.04

Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Full Theme Song

i used to have assignments in english class in high school to write rap songs. this was my go-to since i didn't listen to rap in HS.

Pidge - 5.89

Fashion Week - Death Grips (Instrumental)

interesting blend. works together nicely.

CZ - 5.84

Wicked Ones - Dorothy

i like the vocals, beat is straightforward and catchy. vocals carry this to 5.8+ land.

sam-testings - 5.61
Dead To Me - Sex Whales & Fraxo (ft. Lox Chatterbox)

me gusta ish. an okay beat, not too much of a fan of the drop though as an individual song. fan of the vocals though.

Da Letter El - 5.6

Life's a Bitch - Elzhi

chill, nice beat, relaxing.

jalmont - 5.43

Rapping 2 U - Das Racist

reading the lyrics is more entertaining than listening to the song. not sure what that means.

HT - 5.35

Circles - Vanic x Machineheart

pretty poppy overall and even the beat is pretty standard, the 'drop' is still pretty typical.

zorbees - 5.29

Breathe - Dev

this sounds interesting at first, but seems to fall into the same generic EDM formula for something that tries to be poppy. the 2/3 point piques my interest but only for that moment.

GatoDelFuego - 5.21

Streets of Rage - Stage 1 [Genesis] Music

it's a beat i guess. not too much of a fan of the electro song, but if that's what it was out with, can't change that much. consistent dope beat though.

atomicllamas - 5.2

High - Sir Sly

groovy. i'm just trying to seize the moment too man. let's go smoke a blunt. this trippiness is nice

shubaka17 - 5.14

Such Great Heights - The Postal Service

pleasant to listen to but also kinda boring. the drums are really loud compared to the rest of the song, which sounds odd though.

FrozenCold - 5.11

Fresh Off The Boat - Moe Shop & Le Real

catchy beat. the rap's ok. i like the electro influence in this, but i don't think it's amazing.

Jellicent - 5.08

Cities - Talking Heads (Live 1983)

jelli i like this. the lead vocals turned me off at first, but this is ok overall

Cancerous - 5.04

Down With the Sickness - Disturbed

im terrified. does a good job with the anger/edge and is a unique-ish beat. keeps the same thing going for most of the song though, i like the end though.

Eden's Embrace - 4.72

Adventure of a Lifetime - Coldplay (Audien Remix)

this sounds really generic, kinda forgettable, same generic vocalist. too formulaic for poppy edm and even the actual sounds are basically formulaic.

RODAN - 4.48

Those Who Can't, Cheat - Clarence Clarity

sounds discordant, but not bad overall. the part after the first verse got bad towards the end with the instrument (totally derpin on names). Holy fuck this was made in 2014? I'm let down knowing this honestly. not a fan of the low deep voice in the middle.

4gb - 4.24

Forgotten Notes - Hackman
sleepy at first. also trancy but picks up. not likin the dream-soundin vocals that just dont change. ending is nicer than the singin part i didn't like.

Blazade - 3.2

End Of The World - Daft Punk

pretty straightforward, standardish beat. unfortunately, doesn't really do much on its own. since it's from a soundtrack, i guess there's more to whatever would follow this, but i think overall, it's not sufficient enough to be a standalone.

Lord Gaius - 3.13

Kirby Super Star Ultra Remix - DDD Destiny

this sounds like something off touhou. it's really bland imo

Yeti - 2.42
Music You Can Dance To - Sparks

Odd. The middle part really kills the song.

Myzozoa - 2.32

Aurora - Björk

another trancy feel. i don't think the backing goes well with the vocals. i like the SHOOOT ME vocal, but then this girl just does not do it. sorry overall this is a piece of trash until the aaahhhahhoohoohs happen and that's where the magic is. oh man i like the middle but the beginning is so god awful.

Granny Pie - 2.1

Blackout City - Anamanaguchi

did i ever tell you about the story of this really socially awkward roommate i had? his only go-to socially was to show us a random NES 8-bit theme song or something and just stood there expecting us to listen to it all. This is the same guy that while we were in the car going shopping told us that there is such a thing as being scientifically tone-deaf, mentions he's that particular tone, and then proceeds to sing some weeb shit that nobody knows.

yeah this triggers my ptsd of living with him, but it's upbeat i guess.

Zeonth (SF) - 2.04

Super Shooter - Rip Slyme

is this supposed to be rap? the guitar and drum are ok on their own, but tack on the rest of it, and it's not good.

Martin - 1.84

Spinal Fluid Explosion Girl - Wagakki Band

I guess there is a bass and idk what the singers are singing, but it sounds more like an instrument than words. nope this goes to 1-land after hearing that instrumental-ish part.

Earlio - 1.24

Adam's Trump Card - Maroon GO

what the absolute fuck? this is a disservice to Maroon 5. the maroon 5 is okay, it's a song i like, but i heavily dislike what this is mixed with.

Asek - 1.01

Alice Practise - Crystal Castles

the electro intro and vocals are OH GOD pls. i'm sorry i can't finish this.

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Category 3 Headers:

Cancerous 8.24

Blue - Jimmy Sax (orig by Worakls)

Congratulations Cancerous, you've submitted the only song that I was legitimately pissed off about how it ends. Too abrupt man.

Saxophone is to me as guitar is to walrein. Carries it straight to 7 land and the rest of it isn't shabby and just really makes a good mood imo.

Bluedoom 7.37

What About Me? (We Like It Here) - Snarky Puppy
solid jam. blends really nicely together. man this drummer is goat. not a fan of the initial part of the guitar solo but it got better

Blazade 7.28

Let's Dance - Benny Goodman

exemplary. loving the clarinet and upbeatness on this.

LightWolf 7.21

Guns and Roses - Baccano Theme

we've heard this before as cat 1 winner, and I still stand by a similar scoring. Only reason it's not as high as it did it cat 1 is because upbeatness was a big qualifier in points for category 1. I think this would be the reasonable rating for it.

4gb 7.18

Love After Love - Johann Johannson

this keeps me interested and engaged tbh. seems like it would be in a stephen hawking movie.

Lil Bean - 7.06
R-18 - Luz

this is a cool style of pop. no idea what the lyrics are. This is pretty decent imo. Shoulda subbed this for upbeat tbh.

Da Letter El & Earlio - 7.04
Closer - Lemaitre (ft. Jennie A.)

this music video is definitely something. Overall, I'm a fan of everything and think this makes it into 7 territory. Poppy enough with a bass backing and a solid trumpet.

shubaka17 - 7.03
Feel It Still - Portugal. The Man

v catchy and a little bit creative imo. fan of the vocals and the beat.

atomicllamas & Pidge - 7.01

Short Skirt Long Jacket - Cake

The vocals, while I normally don't appreciate how it doesn't change in terms of pitch, I think go really well for the effect of the song. This song is pretty solid overall. I've also been listening to this a lot more and I'm actually really addicted to this song.

Rare Poison - 6.94

Contradanza - Vanessa Mae

adventurous. this doesn't break 7 because there's a portion where I feel the violin gets too soft compared to the rest of the song, but very vibrant overall.

Zeonth - 6.93

Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield

diggin this. :) this is p dope

HT - 6.88
iSpy - KYLE (ft. Lil Yachty) (Two Friends Remix)

this is the type of poppy thing i listen to normally. this trumpet 'drop' is pretty nice tbh. digging the absence beat.

Eden's Embrace - 6.84

Shatter Me - Lindsey Stirling (ft. Lzzy Hale)

digging this overall. the dubstep doesn't terribly hurt the song but I think it would have been a lot better without it.

KnightsofCydonia - 6.78

Hey Pachuco! - Royal Crown Revue

pretty solid tbh. i ain't feeling too strongly about the song overall but I think this is on the better end. i like the second half better than the first though.

vonFiedler - 6.76

Beth - Kiss

imo this is solid at what it does.

jalmont - 6.71

Afterglow - Lindsey Stirling (ft. Vicetone)

liking the overall feel. it's something i'd definitely relisten to.

MK007 - 6.64

Cannonball - Five Iron Frenzy

not hating the vocals or on the upbeatness of the song. both are pluses. i'm regressing back to being 12 years old. oddly enough i think the hydra portion of this song is pretty odd, but it still works.

Lemonade - 6.48

Gridania Daytime Theme

really soothing. the last bit sounds like a shire-y feel to it.

Eagle4 - 6.21

All The Right Things - Son Lux

p mellow overall, i like the vocals, blends together pretty well!

Mael - 6.14

Untitled 1/2 - The Appleseed Cast

very soothing, i do wish the grunge on the guitar would mellow out sooner though, but that's just the direction i'd hope it would go rather than maintain it.

Jellicent - 6.13

Where The Light Breaks - Human Switchboard

i dig it. i would actually like this better w/o the drums though.

cutie-patrol (einto) - 5.95

Warrior Concerto - The Glitch Mob

the violin's notes are certainly notable and complement the wubs well, and it's ok imo.

FrozenCold - 5.94

1-09: Ikoroshia

not shabby. liking the overall feel of the song tbh. the trumpet feels like it's telling a story. the backing is unique but it somehow works. there are some parts that do feel weird to hear though.

Asek & Granny Pie - 5.73

Catgroove - Parov Stelar
for some reason everyone thinks of this when they hear parov stelar... i think this is fair. it's all about the clarinet. gets too repetitive.

GatoDelFuego - 5.69

Wonder Woman Theme - Hans Zimmer + Junkie XL

wooo boyo action is coming. liking the back-and-forth at the intro, and the next part kinda dull but I guess has to be that way to not detract from a superhero movie. Unfort. Then the slow crescendo kinda falters out (imo goes too long). tbh around the 3 minute mark i got kinda tired of the song though.

Lord Gaius - 5.68

The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook - Thank You Scientist

sick solo but vocals are really forgettable

Walrein - 5.62
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Kevlar Sweethearts

What is she singing? I legitimately can't tell because the backing is much too loud. would be a lot better if the backing was balanced better in terms of volume. yeah this lack of being able to distinguish the singer effectively and understanding her is what's holding the song back.

CZ - 5.3

The Call of the Mountains - Eluvetite

there is definite passion but i don't like how the singer sounds like the rest of the guitar. was not expectin the bagpipe but the flute/violin at the end was nice

Martin - 5.19

Paco de Lucía Concierto Aranjuez - Adagio

so sad at the first, while it sounds nice, it kinda drags on and gets a bit boring before the 2nd clarinet part.Admittedly I skipped around the last 3rd of the piece, but not shabby overall.

Myzozoa - 4.7

Late Orchestration - Gone (Ft. Consequence) + Kanye

i like consequence's part more than kanye's but overall p indifferent.

sam-testings - 4.02

Jupiter - Holst

eh classical music doesn't do it for me. sounds p pompous tbh, dislike. eh i like the violins toward the end. p.s. mars is infinitely better

Yeti - 3.8

Rio - Duran Duran

not liking these tones

P2X7 - 3.1

Symphony No. 1 in D minor, Op.13 - Sergei Rachmaninoff

there's only so much of an attention span i have.

zorbees - 2.31

Me & My Girls - Selena Gomez

this intro. nope. not likin the robotic/monotone of the song at all.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Is there an updated list of standings?
Yes somewhere

some adjustments that i made from last cat reveal contrary to the discord server reveal:

Da Letter El 's submission of Shooting Stars earns him 8.64 points

Myzozoa 's submission of MILF Money earns them 8.34 points.

This will be reflected in the next sheet posting and whenever I get around to posting the entire cat scores.

But more importantly Category 8 Reveal: 20th century is happening in 15 minutes!

Andy Snype

Mr. Music

scoreboard that i found on discord. it cuts out 39th place MK who has submitted all of two songs, and still managed to underscore traceoflife's one song. blank scores are zeros. any questions send to snype, not me, i'm just doing this to brag abt being top 3 in a walrus
The actual inaccuracy with that is MK is not cut off in that screenshot, I just didn't make a row for him. No reveal this weekend. Too many others and I think I'll be updating this thread and listening instead.

There are some songs that have grown on me since the first time listening to them. I'll be adjusting those scores accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)