SM Doubles OU Only For You (Peaked #1)

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Only for You
Hey guys, it's geerat from showdown and today I bring you one of my most succesful teams and the first team I was satisfied with in SM DOU meta. After the initial flurry of HO teams, as the meta has settled down,, main play-style has become BO imo, and that suits my play-style much better. And btw I love doing rmts and I haven't done one in months so the latest banning of Jirachi gave me an excuse to show-case this team. The team was initially built back in pre-bank era and the team did quite well in its initial phases and was later optimized more during the week for building around tyranitar in team building competition and I used it specifically in suspect ladder with a record of 38-6. Though, now Jirachi is banned, it gives me an opportunity to show off it's utility. So, without much further adieu, here's the team

First of all, the important stuff
Proof Of Peak ::
Old ladder :: Untitled41.png
New Ladder :: Capture.PNG

Team-Building ::

I obviously started building around tyranitar, since it's choice band set is so lethal in the meta-game right now.
qpbTByin_reasonably_small.jpg

While looking for some bulky partners which could aid it defensively as well as not being passive in general, after much theory-moning I came up with the core of Tapu-Bulu + Fire type, as you can see which later turned out to be heatran.

Since all these pokemons had middling speed, it was a ideal build for a tail-room buid. Mega-Salamence was the obvious choice here due to utility + power it provides.

While the team had enough prowess offensively, I still lacked a win-con, infamous azu-rachi combo was added for late game purposes.

The Team ::

Victim of Love (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
Not gonna lie, band ttar is love. It's what the team is built around and the whole team appreciates it's ability to switch-in into various stuff and then hit really hard. By itself alone it makes my Sun match-up more than decent and keeps the weather in my favour. Also the fact that fighting types are rare now, saves me the trouble of running something like chople berry which makes a sub-par set. As far as the move-set is concerned, rock slide is a strong spread STAB courtesy of Choice Band and is easily the most spammable move of the set. Crunch is the mandatory second STAB, 1hkoing lots of stuff like Bronzong, aegislash etc. Third slot is optimizable according to your needs, Ice Punch is usable for landorus's but I prefer pursuit so that ttar can actually hit things it is supposed to threaten i.e. stuff like Hoopa, zard-y can't just switch out without a consequence. Though getting choice locked into pursuit isn't ideal but since band ttar is a hit and run mon, it works decently. For the last slot I opted for Superpower which nets KOes on stuff like kang, heatran and deals a heavy chunk to porygon2. The EVs are meant to outspeed base 110s like mega-metagross under tailwind.

Charismatic Bastard (Tapu Bulu) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 176 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness
Imo AV Bulu is one of the best mons on bulky teams, since it provides so much like passive recovery from grassy terrain as well as an excellent rain match-up. It also makes team's match-up against calm mind tapu fini much better, due to highly invested special bulk. Both bulu + ttar work in a traditional way such that ttar beats fire types in general and mega-metagross under tailwind, where as bulu shits on physical landorus and most bulky water types. As far as the moveset is concerned, Horn Leech is a decent strong move which for keeping Bulu healthy and makes sure I don't have to suffer recoil whenever I want to kill any water type in general. Wood Hammer even with minor investment is pretty strong, doing massive damage on anything it doesn't resist. Superpower gives much needed coverage on steel types in general. On the last slot I went with Nature's Madness over Stone Edge since it's pretty convenient to drop switch-ins like Mega-Mence, Heatran, Metagross, Celesteela to half their health making it easier to take them out by other mons.
The EV spread given by @TheRealJahim(sick spread fam) on bulu avoids the 3hko from mega-mence's hyper voice and 1hko from charizard-y's flamethrower under sun. It also avoids the 3hko from tapu lele's psychic outside psychic terrain and takes minimal damage from tapu-koko's coverage moves while outspeeding tapu koko(base 130s) under tailwind.

Heartache Tonight (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect
Mega-Salamence while it stays in the tier will undoubtedly be one of the best megas due to sheer number of positives it has. It provides the team with much needed intimidate support, really strong and high base power dual STABs and tailwind. Couple all these with excellent physical bulk and decent special bulk, you've got yourself an almost complete mon. Basically every team has dedicated mence counters but this still doesn't change the fact double edge still hurts as hell. In addition to all that, it is one of the most solid offensive counters to opposing tapu bulus. Hyper Voice is an option over draco meteor for a decently strong STAB which bypasses follow me.
The EVs are pretty standard with max attack to extract as much as damage possible from double-edge.

Take it Easy (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 136 SpA / 20 SpD / 28 Spe
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Eruption / Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect
Heatran acts as the much needed fire type needed to break down opposing steel types as a part of original core with bulu and ttar. Heatran doesn't need any explanation in the doubles mate-game, thanks to it's stellar typing and fire immunity, it finds it's way to most Bulky Offensive teams. Heatran takes care of various threats to the team like celesteela, metagross quite comfortably. Shuca Berry is the preferred item to have a more solid match-up against opposing lando-ts and generally absorb random ground attacks better, as well as go against opposing trans 1v1. Moveset consists of eruption which gives us a strong spread move, but it is replaceable by hidden power Ice to beat things like zygarde. Earth Power is a staple move on heatran due to it's stellar matchup against most fire types and flamethrower provides us with a strong consistent STAB move which ignores wide guard in general thus comfortably taking on celesteela without worrying about wide guard.
The EV set was taken from Matame 's rmt and ensures it lives two hyperspace furies from Hoopa and the speed EVs ensure it outspeeds base 110s under tailwind.

Last Resort (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off / Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect
As I said in the team-building section, azumarill provides me a clear win-con in most of the games and just basically gives this team some direction. Belly Drum azumarill undoubtedly is one of most scariest sweepers in the meta-game, and the whole team provides ample support enabling it's sweep. Tapu Bulu provides terrain change allowing it to use aqua jet freely and jirachi provides follow me support and trick room. Moveset is pretty standard and for the second slot both knock off or play rough are viable option. Knock off provides stellar coverage alongside aqua jet, while play rough allows it KO bulky kangaskhan and take on opposing dragons even when unboosted. Zero speed IVs are preferred to work really well in side trick room as azumarill outslows stuff like porygon 2. Normalium Z is a decent option over Sitrus Berry allowing to get off an belly drum whenever necessary.

On the Border (Jirachi) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Safeguard
And for the final slot we have the "best" pokemon in the tier. Even though I was against banning Jirachi, there's no denying it's usefulness. A specially defensive set is chosen to avoid the 2hko from heatran's heatwave after sitrus recovery and 32 defensive EVs ensure it avoids the 2hko from landorus-t's earthquake with grassy terrain on. Move set comprises of ever so fair Iron Head which apparently finches(tho not for me), follow me is the prime reason to jirachi since steel/psychic is such a stellar typing defensively and aids azumarill for belly drum. Trick Room is specifically accommodated to cater to team's needs since the team appreciates dual speed control and azumarill under trick room is scary af to say the least. Ans at last due to the surge of z-TR Bronzong, last slot is dedicated to safeguard which protects from all sort of status and especially sleep from z-hypno and spore from rare amoongus.

Replays ::

Conclusion ::
Anyways, the team meshed up decently well imo, and focuses on beating things after taking a hit most of the times, so it's important to remember that. But in all fairness, due to high natural bulk of this team you can probably switch into most attacks pretty easily and take it from there on. Though the team was initially built around tyranitar, it just utilises it's anti-meta nature to open a azu-rachi sweep. And though many peple said to me that azu rachi might not be as potent as it was back in gen 6 due to tapu lele but this team is a good example of why it'll always be borked af even though sadly jirachi is banned now.
Though I don't do shoutouts generally, a big one to doubles community, you guys are fun lol. The chatroom is fuego. Also special ones to TheRealJahim , Test Bot # , GenOne and one for Matame who kept dunking me down the ladder and Elise for being a gigi fan. Also one for Nido-Rus due to amount of good battles we've had in the past month or so :P .
See ya n_n.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good team, man! Heatran, Tyranitar, Tapu Bulu is a really solid core, and Tyranitar + Mence + Heatran does a solid job at dealing with Sun and opposing Mence teams that would give Tapu Bulu trouble. Some neat EV spreads, too ;) (Wanna post them on shaian's EV compendium thread?) Although losing Jirachi mean we lose a Pokemon that can set up Trick Room and redirect at the same time, I think this team really only needs Trick Room. I think this team is still salvageable by replacing Jirachi with Shadow Tag Gothitelle with Heal Pulse to support BD Azumarill. Something like Trick Room, Heal Pulse, Safeguard, Tickle / Psychic @ Sitrus / Aguav Berry can serve this team's purpose well enough imo.

A small suggestion - try Roost > Draco Meteor and go Jolly on Mence. You would find that Mence would appreciate the added survivability to offset recoil damage from sand and Double-Edge, allowing you to take advantage of Mence's bulk to switch in to more things and set up Tailwind more frequently.

Congrats on the peak, geerat! Thanks for sharing :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)