Resource ORAS PU Good Cores

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion

| Approved by Magnemite | Taken over from Dundies | Format stolen from ORAS OU Good Cores |

A strong core is one of the single most valuable things to form when creating a new team. Cores are typically made up of a group of Pokémon that, when used together, work excellently toward accomplishing a specific goal. The majority of cores have varying characteristics that allow them to triumph in different areas, and depending on your team, cores can be built to succeed offensively or defensively. An offensive core is a group of Pokémon that are both focused towards and designed to enable the team to break through most other team styles while being balanced for general play. A defensive core is a group of Pokémon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances and the ability to switch into many of the common and threatening attacks in the metagame, allowing it to stick around long enough to win the match.

With such a diverse and constantly evolving metagame, there are a plethora of cores to experiment with given the huge number of Pokemon available for use. With that being said, I welcome you to Good Cores: ORAS Edition!

Posting Guidelines
  • Any person can post a core in this thread. The cores are broken down into three categories: offensive cores, balanced cores, and defensive cores. When posting your core, please make sure to state which one of these categories your core falls under.
  • Although the way your core works may be obvious to you, this may not be the case for others. As such, when posting a core, please make sure to explain how the core operates and any other details you think are important to include. The explanations don't have to be essays; as long as your post has some substance and conveys the main idea behind the core, it's all good. Here are some things you may like to include when explaining your core:
    • Offensive Core: Should your core be an offensive one, such as Stoutland + Dodrio, you could explain how those two Pokemon work together to break down their similar checks and counters to pave the way for one of them to sweep more easily. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core. Here is a good example of what we look for.
    • Defensive Core: Should your core be defensive, such as Pelipper + Chinchou, you could explain how their typing synergy allows these two Pokemon to cover problematic Pokemon like Floatzel and Zebstrika for one another. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core. Here is a good example of what we look for.
  • This goes without saying, but do make sure your post includes the sets your core is using. In addition, please try to include an explanation of any EV spreads that deviate from the standard. Replays are also very helpful and highly encouraged when posting cores.
  • Please be respectful of the cores people post in this thread. If someone posts a core that you think is ineffective or just plain bad, there is no need to jump at their throats. With that said, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged - simply be nice!

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a defending SCL Champion
Offensive Cores

Balanced Cores

Defensive Cores

Last edited:
first
OFFENSIVE CORE: DODRIO-CACTURNE-MAWILE

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Play Rough

This is the core from my most recent RMT, Rose Tattoo, and I wanted to post it here because it handily breaks most everything. Banded Dodrio hits like a truck versus anything that doesn't resist it's STAB, and Knock Off is very handy for removing Eviolites for itself and the other members of the core. Specially biased Cacturne is here to punish any normal resists that dare stand in Dodrio's way, such as Probopass, Golem, and Relicanth. Finally, Swords Dance Mawile is here to break a few mons the other two don't like handling as much, such as Vullaby and Clefairy. This core seems slow, but there's also priorityspam (Quick Attack on Drio, Sucker Punch on Maw and Cacturne) for doing a lot of damage to offense. If rocks are up, +2 Mawile at worst forces 50/50s vs offense and sometimes just outright sweeps.

Last edited:
OFFENSIVE CORE: (Mixed)Krow+(SubSD)Bouff
+

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Heat Wave
Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Basically, MixedKrow was used to kill/weaken things that prevent Bouffalant from cleaning. These things include 2hko'ing Gourgeist-XL, Pressuring Misdreavus,Dusknoir,Tangela,Quiladin,etc;. They dont have much defensive synergy but Bouffalant can also set up on Stunfisk, deal damage to defensive Mawile's as well as Golems and Relicanths. Overall pretty effective core utilizing two sets I havent seen much of in the current meta.

BALANCED CORE: Golem+Gogoat+Grumpig
+
+

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect/Toxic

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave/Taunt

This is a nice core that can check alot of the meta at the moment. Golem is nice for Gogoat as it provides a Bird checks things such as Dodrio/Vullaby and something for Ninjask as all of them switch-in relatively well on Gogoat. Gogoat helps golem by checking waters and grasses things such as Floatzel,Simipour,Cacturne,Prinplup,Simsage,etc;. Grumpig is the final member as it basically switches in on stuff that threaten the core non U-turn Monferno, NP Simisear/NP Ninetales, as well as Regice and Cryogonal. A bulkier spread was chosen to further remedy those weaknesses. Again, pretty good core that checks a portion of the current metagame.

Defensive Core: Metang + Muk + Vibrava

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Muk @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

This is a defensive core that I enjoy using on balance teams because of the role compression each mon possesses as well as the typing synergy the 3 share. Muk checks the majority of special attackers in the tier while also serving as a bulky wincon. The only special attackers that it really struggles with are Psychic types such as Mime, Grumpig and Kadabra which Metang can handle with relative ease. Metang functions as a normal tank, rock setter, and as a generally bulky mon that can wear opposing teams down. I usually opt for Bullet Punch or Pursuit instead of Toxic on Metang, however the core needed a way to put opposing hazard removers on a timer to make it easier to keep rocks up. Vibrava rounds out the core by providing a solid answer to Golem and Monferno while also checking electric types.

Overall, the strength of this core lies in its ability to check some of the more popular mons in the current meta such as Rotom-F, Monferno, Golem, Clefairy, and others while still providing all of the essentials that balance teams need such as rocks, removal, normal check, electric check, set-up mon, etc.

Some notable weaknesses of this core are Band Leafeon, Mixed Floatzel, Physical Cacturne, and Band Drio. These can be patched up with the other 3 members though.

replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-452178361 vs optical real

Hey guys, I tried this offensive core a while ago, and so far I'm 27-16 (probably because I suck but whatever...), hope you can use it and have success :)

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest / Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper / Reckless
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return / Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Pursuit / Facade

Simipour @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

The idea behind this offensive core is the fact that Bouffalant and Simipour can actually work together very well.
First we have Bouffalant, which is pretty elastic with the set: in fact, I slashed 2 main items to use, based on what you want from Bouffalant. Then we have:

a) a powerful special tank (AV)
b) a bulky physical wallbreaker (CB)

And surprisingly, both sets have nice sinergy with Simipour: in fact, the unique combination of Sap Sipper and Earthquake lets Bouffalant erase Simipour's weaknesses to Grass and Electric, absorbing Grass-type moves, taking out the aforementioned Grass-types with +1 Megahorn and, in the AV set, checking Electric-types with Earthquake (CB can too, but takes quite a few damages from STAB boosted TBolts).

However, Bouffalant suffers burns a lot, which are inflicted via Will-O-Wisp and via Scald: this is exactly where Simipour helps Bouffalant, switching into some weaker Scalds and then proceding to set up Substitues and Nasty Plot.

The HydroBeam combo (neologism yey) hits basically everything for at least neutral damage, besides Water; however, no one cares about neutrality after a +2 SpA boost and a Salac Berry boost, which allow Simipour to really be a dangerous Pokémon on the field.

I highly suggest you to add to your team:
1) a Stealth Rock user, that might help with the small passive damage of the entry hazard;
2) something to deal with bulky Water-types, as even at +2 Simipour struggles to take them out, and Bouffalant fears burns like the plague.

Next, I also tried this balanced core which is interesting type-wise:

(I love this core's name!)

QuadCore (Metang) @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs. 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Toxic

Caro's Acid (Muk) @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Sulauu (Altaria) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell / Roost

This is a viariation of a core posted by RawMelon, as it features Offensive DD Altaria instead of Defensive Vibrava.
I think that the strongest point of this core lies in the fact that they sharea very interesting synergy:
- Metang has problems with Ground- and Fire-types (types Altaria easily switches into), and Knock Off because of Eviolite (a thing Sticky Hold Muk can easily handle);
- Muk has difficulties against Ground-types (which Altaria uses to setup), and Psychic-types (that Metang can damage thanks to Pursuit);
- Altaria, even though is holding a Yache Berry, suffers from Ice/Fairy/Dragon/Rock-types (that are blocked by Metang's Steel-type + its good bulk with Eviolite).

The main goal of this core is sponging and eliminating Altaria's checks (Mr.Mime, Fairy-types, Steel-types), so that it can set up a Dragon Dance or two and then heavily damage the opponent's team.

So, Metang is used primaly as an answer to Fairy-types, Steel-types (be ware of Probopass, even though Metang can KO it with Earthquake: it is slower than some variants of Probopass with 92 or more Spe), and it's the team general answer to Choice-locked Dodrio, Flying-types, and a plethora of other types thanks to its good Steel-type.
This set makes use of Stealth Rock to slowly cut opponents' HP, and it's a nice tool to cut Fire-types' HP, a thing normally sent in to contrast Metang.
Meteor Mash is its STAB of choice, as it packs a good base power and can sometimes give a +1 Atk, which is always appreciated.
Earthquake is mainly used to take on Steel- and Fire-types switch-ins, and it deals some good damage even though Metang is uninvested.
Lastly, the choice between Pursuit and Toxic is mainly personal: Pursuit damages Psychic- and Ghost-types and punishes switches, while Toxic is useful to wear down opposing fat Pokémon and helps dealing more damage to score more KOs afterwards.
Maximum investment in HP and Def allows Metang to take physical hits more easily, with the leftovers EVs are put into Atk.
Eviolite increases Metang defenses, turning a good Def and a decent but not-so-formidable SpD into a stellar Def and a very good SpD.

Muk complements Metang nicely, as the main weakness Metang sports is to the common Knock Off: in fact, this Muk forgoes Poison Touch in favor of Sticky Hold, which decreases the power of Knock Off and allows Muk to constantly have the SpD boost provided by its item.
Gunk Shot, although inaccurate, is the STAB of chioce because it is 1.5x stronger than Poison Jab and can poison the opponent anyway.
Shadow Sneak patches up Muk terrible Spe, and deals a good damage on Psychic-types.
Fire Punch and Ice Punch deal solid damage on Grass, Flying, Ground, Steel, and Ice-types, not to mention that it hits Dragon-types supereffectively.
The EVs set maximizes the general bulk and the physical attack, with an Adamant nature to further boost it.
The Assault Vest allows Muk to comfortably switch into special attacks, as Muk boasts 354 SpD with it: this, combined with 392 HP, is pretty solid to take even STAB moves like Scalds, Hyper Voices, etc..

In this core, Altaria is what I define "an offensive Pokémon, but defensively used": in fact, beside its decent natural bulk (75/90/105), it exploits Metang and Muk's shared weakness to Ground to come in unscathed and start setting up Dragon Dance.
Dragon Dance is one of my best setup moves, and Altaria makes a good use of it to booast its decent Spe and its very low Atk.
Dragon Claw is used over Outrage because Altaria may be locked in it against a Fairy-type, which is always undesired.
Earthquake rounds off the coverage, hitting the Steel-types that might come in on a Dragon Claw.
The choice between Roost and Heal Bell is based on what your team needs: on one side we have a way to keep Altaria healthy throughout the match, while on the other hand Heal Bell provides status cure to all its partners.
Max Atk and Adamant nature is used to hit as hard as possible, while 192 Spe ensure that it will outspeed Zebstrika after a boost. The remaining 64 EVs are dumped into HP to slightly increase its bulk.
Yache Berry may seem odd, but it ensures that the likes of HP Ice Tangela, or any random HP Ice user is not going to stop Altaria from sweeping.

- I think a Stealth Rock remover is appreciated, as even though Altaria is the only one weak to rocks, the core can't afford to lose free health.

-This core needs some fast attackers in my opinion, since the average Speed of this core is pretty low. I also suggest some form of Speed control, such as Thunder Wave or Sticky Web.

Defensive Core: ClefGeist

Consider this a version of ClefTang, Clefairy and Gourgeist are two very reliable and extremely easy to use walls both with reliable recovery. Little actually breaks this core barring Offensive Roselia, SD Monferno, band Dodrio and maybe strong ghosts and psychics which you can certainly prepare for. Gourgeist-Super, of course, walls a good portion of the physical attackers in PU and can further cripple them (or other switchins) with Will-o-Wisp. Foul Play makes it even harder for physical sweepers to set up. Colbur Berry allows Gourgeist to tank Leafeon's and Pawniard's Knock Offs. Clefairy sets up rocks, spreads Thunder Wave status and has the ability to Knock Off, or deal consistent damage with Seismic Toss. Overall this core is very self explanatory, just switch Gourgeist in on appropriate physical attackers, and Clefairy on appropriate special attackers, heal when you need to, then pivot into an offensive teammate when the opportunity comes, then pivot back into the defensive core when necessary.

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature / Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed / Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock / Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss / Moonblast

Balanced Team Builder Starter Kit

This actually my favorite core to use because it provides so much role compression that it gives you a lot of room to make all kinds of teams using the 4 other slots. This core offers you: SR, defog, electric check, water check, normal check, Monferno check, Offensive Cacturne check, Muk check, slow(ish) pivot, call now and for a limited time we l'll throw in a free hat. However, the core is obviously weak to grass but that's where the 4 other mons come to play. Overall, is a fantastic core to use for new players and experienced players alike, and it is my go to core I recommend new players needing help team building.

Golem @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast

The 1 (Lumineon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic/ Ice Beam
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog

NOTES On EVs: Jolly Golem helps you outspeed adamant golems and everything else creeping adamant. Lefties helps you maintain sturdy even with SR while giving you passive healing. I usually distribute the remaining 256 evs in a very specific way but for the sake of leaving this standarized 252 attack to be able to hit pretty hard and the remaining 4 in w.e slot you want. Ice beam is an option on Lumi to be able to 2hko Gabite ( because gabites are a pain in the ass and Lumi leaves the match up too hurt) and check Altaria trying to be cheeky and set up on you.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Balanced Core:

+
+

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Curse

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Taunt

So the idea behind this core is to use Toxic Spikes support from Roselia to aid in a late-game sweep by Curse Quagsire. The two complement each other pretty nicely as Quagsire handles physical attackers such as Floatzel, Monferno, and Stoutland while also taking Fire attacks aimed for Roselia while Roselia covers for Quagsire's lone Grass weakness and provides Toxic Spikes. The two have trouble with things like Lapras and Cryogonal, so Grumpig was added as a means to cover for Freeze-Dry and Ice attacks in general while Colbur Berry is here to handle Cacturne better and is a backup Monferno check and also deals with Toxic Spikes absorbers such as Muk, Arbok, and opposing Roselia. This core still struggles with things like Jumpluff, so something like Sap Sipper Zebstrika or Bouffalant can be added to remedy this.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Offensive Core:

It's safe to say that Monferno does not completely outclass Combusken as a Fire/Fighting type when the discussion was brought up a while back. Anyways, Combusken and Misdreavus function as a solid offensive core that I have been utilizing with some success (I have seen this core maybe once or twice which utilize this core better than me). The basis is that Combusken passes speed to Misdreavus who can then set up with Nasty Plot and proceed to sweep through teams. Combusken also acts as a check to Dark-types while Misdreavus can check Psychic-types as well. With Baton Pass, Combusken can get out of tough situations (Scarf Mime, Duosion, etc.) and go into Misdreavus which gives it the opportunity to set up Nasty Plot. At +1 Speed, Misdreavus is able to outspeed the unboosted meta (not Electrode) while at +2 Speed, it has the potential to outspeed a lot of the scarfed meta as well.

This core struggles a lot with status (specifically Thunder Wave) as it limits their ability to sweep, so a status absorber like Zebstrika or Trevenant could be useful. Specially bulky mons like Audino and Clefairy are also a problem since they can live a hit and fire back with Taunt, Knock Off or status, so a physical wallbreaker like Stoutland or banded Golem would be a nice addition~

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting / Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

Last edited:
Offensive core

+

Golem is a top-tier mon that provides a ton of utility for most teams. This core specifically is very nice for offensive and balanced builds, as they provide nice synergy. Golem gives you an Electric-, Normal-, Flying- and kind-of Fire-check. It's heavily troubled by Waters and Grasses. Cryogonal not only provides spin support for the team and to retain Golem's sturdy, but is also a competent water check and is capable of switching into bulky grasses and checking most offensive ones. This core is troubled by a few things like Monferno but nothing that team support can't handle.

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Toxic

Offensive Core
+

Combusken @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Focus Blast

Dusknoir @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch/Thunder Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak

So this is a very basic offensive core and it's similar to how Monferno/Dusknoir works. Combusken's main answers in the tier are able to be trapped by Dusknoir's Pursuit or are threatened by Dusknoir's coverage. For example, Grumpig and Mr. Mime can be trapped, Altaria and Pelipper are threatened by Ice Punch and Thunder Punch respectively and lastly Pokemon like Stunfisk and Prinplup can be worn down by Dusknoir's EQ. This gives Combusken the opportunity to clean up late game with it's powerful STAB moves. On the other hand, Combusken can support Dusknoir by checking Dark types like Cacturne and Pawniard. Not only that but Combusken can pass Speed Boost's to Dusknoir giving Dusknoir the ability to outspeed common checks and sweep if the conditions are correct. Problems to this core include Clefairy who avoids the 2HKO from both mons and Water types with Aqua Jet such as Basculin and Floatzel.

false

maybe this is heaven
Update coming soon. Until then, here's a few of my own additions.

Golem @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

Clefairy @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
This core is one I utilise often, and was one of the more popular cores around the time that Choice Band Golem was being established as a top-tier set. Clefairy provides Stealth Rock, and also a reliable switchin to common Water-types such as Floatzel or Lumineon which may force Golem out. Clefairy also provides speed control via Thunder Wave, which is good support for any slow breaker. Golem capitalises off of Clefairy's support by firing off Choice Banded attacks, whilst also acting as a somewhat sturdy check to the likes of Stoutland and Dodrio.

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Nobody should be surprised to see this core. One of the most basic sweeper + trapper cores; Muk + Trapinch has basically become a metagame staple at this point, with the core being at the forefront of Muk's transcendent rise to become a top-tier PU threat. Trapinch reliably traps and removes a variety of Ground- and Steel-types such as Stunfisk, Camerupt, Probopass, and Metang, whilst also checking a variety of Psychic-types such as Grumpig and Mr. Mime, all of which are Pokemon that Muk can struggle to deal with. With these Pokemon removed, Muk has a much easier time Cursing and Sleep Talking its way to a sweep.

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 212 HP / 248 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Protect
Choice Specs Camerupt has been a set gaining a bit of notoriety recently, so I thought I'd drop a core with it. Lumineon is a good partner for Camerupt because not only does it provide hazard removal to keep Camerupt as healthy as possible, but it also provides a solid check to the Water-types that threaten Camerupt out, whilst also acting as a consistent lure to a number of passive Pokemon such as Clefairy, Muk, and Duosion, that Camerupt can easily take advantage of if brought in via U-turn. Protect is the filler move of choice on Lumineon, allowing it to scout Choice-locked Pokemon such as Rotom-F, which, if they lock themselves into an Electric-type move, can be another way to bring Camerupt in safely.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald / Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recover

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
Quagsire + Bronzor has been the face of a variety of recent stall archetypes, the most popular of which being Dundies Stall™. Bronzor covers Quagsire by providing a reliable answer to the likes of Choice Band Golem, Articuno, Chatot, Dodrio, Stoutland, whilst Quagsire works to deter setup Pokemon such as Pawniard, Clefairy, and Duosion which would otherwise be able to take advantage of Bronzor's passivity.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
Chinchou + Vibrava is quickly becoming one of my favourite defensive cores, purely due to the fact that it's such an easy core to splash onto a variety of team archetypes. Chinchou provides a reliable answer to most Water- and Electric-types, whilst in return Vibrava provides Defog support, and a Ground immunity. Both members of the team provide an element of VoltTurn, which somewhat remedies the fact that both Pokemon are otherwise relatively passive. Steel-type such as Mawile are usually fantastic additions to this core, providing a more Sturdy physical wall to handle the likes of Stoutland, whilst also providing Stealth Rock.

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
Muk is another Pokemon that pairs well with the newly found Bronzor, utilizing its high special bulk in combination with semi-reliable recovery to check a variety of special attackers such as Cacturne, Floatzel, and Zebstrika that threaten its partner out. In return, Bronzor provides a solid Ground immunity, sets up Stealth Rock, and also pressures the Steel-types that Muk struggles with, hitting them hard with Psywave.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Articuno + Trapinch was a core I utilised myself during the PU Open finals. Articuno is a powerful wincon that boasts a limited number of true counters, mostly Steel-types. RestTalk Trapinch not only removes Steel-types such as Metang and Probopass, but also Chinchou, which in turn frees up Articuno and allows it to run a stronger Ice STAB in Ice Beam, useful for hitting the likes of Golem and Stunfisk much harder.
Chatot @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Choice Specs Chatot is one of the best breakers that the tier has to offer, and with Quagsire's recent appearance placing a premium on strong breakers, Chatot seems to be a Pokemon that could become a lot better in the coming weeks. Chinchou is the partner of choice, reliably switching in to Pokemon such as Floatzel, Rotom-F, Mr. Mime, and Zebstrika that are commonly used to revenge kill Chatot. Chinchou also provides switch initiative, luring in a variety of passive Pokemon that Chatot can easily take advantage of.

Ursaring @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- Bulk Up
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Duosion @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Calm Mind
- Recover
Bulk Up Ursaring is a set that has been gaining popularity recently, and this is a common core that I've seen be used to success in a number of instances. Duosion provides a Fighting resist, and a check to the likes of Monferno, whilst also luring common Steel-types such as Probopass and Pawniard with Hidden Power [Fighting] which can pave the way for Ursaring. Ursaring acts as somewhat of a special sponge, dealing decently with the likes of Rotom-F or Zebstrika, whilst also pressuring those same Steel-types. This core works fantastically in tandem, usually able to have one member beat down on a defensive Pokemon such as Vullaby, Muk, and Metang until the other is able to sweep.

Combusken @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Protect

Octillery @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
This is a pretty fun core that I came up with based around Speed + CritPass into Scope Lens + Sniper Octillery. Focus Energy + Scope Lens raises your Critical Hit ratio 3 stages, ensuring that every attack you use will result in a critical hit. Combine this with Sniper, which multiplies damage dealt by a Critical Hit by a further 50%, and Octillery can pretty much OHKO anything with the appropriate coverage move. Water Spout is Octillery's main STAB, dealing an absurd amount of damage to anything, cleanly OHKOing the likes of Audino, Muk, and SpD Clefairy if Octillery hasn't taken any prior damage. Ice Beam hits common Water resists such as Altaria and Roselia, whilst Energy Ball is used to hit the likes of Lumineon and Lapras.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)