OU Pokemon Previews - Index, Rules, and Reservations

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After getting 3 QC checks on Banette I've changed the set slightly and it'd be appreciated if another QC member should check it to go back into the GP stage. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

Edit: Banette is now complete.

Last edited:
May I do Articuno? I don't see him in the lists at all and would like to be in charge of it =D Though, if it is considered for a lower ladder please overlook this post but still point me with a link to the official listings for tiers. Thanks guys

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
May I do Articuno? I don't see him in the lists at all and would like to be in charge of it =D Though, if it is considered for a lower ladder please overlook this post but still point me with a link to the official listings for tiers. Thanks guys
Articuno already has a thread, and at the moment its viability is questionable.

High base attack. Access to a large variety of physical coverage moves, fighting is still good. I also think he might have some chance of countering aegislash (I'm testing it at the moment)

In addition, he has insane special defense, and he can make use of Assault Vest to boost it even higher, letting him tank some impressive special attacks (you could invest in defense and get a decent mixed bulky attacker) He can also utilise a choice band to slam into special attackers that think they have a chance of denting him, or you can run choice scarf to revenge kill a few threats (though I don't think this is a great setup)

He can also still run bulk up with leftovers, but he won't be doing as well having lost drain punch.

Access to shadow sneak lets him finish off weakened attackers nicely, and he checks several common pokemon (tyranitar does not appreciate a fighting move, although megatyranitar can be dangerous against gallade)

Leaf blade offers a bit of help against pokemon like rotom W (though it's not a 1hko, and willowisp will leave you in trouble)

I've been playing a bit with assault vest and the bulkiness is helping a lot, I'm also going to try a bulk up build, but I think that's not going to work as well since gallade has no drain punch any more.

Oh and finally, I haven't played with it at all yet, but it's on the todo list, gallade can run destiny bond. I'm thinking a destiny bond set will let you set up a free bulk up since gallade will probably go second, but it seems a bit sketchy.

I'd also like dusclops if possible he's working out nicely, since he can deal with unboosted aegislashes and tanks pretty much everything.

AccidentalGreed

High base attack. Access to a large variety of physical coverage moves, fighting is still good. I also think he might have some chance of countering aegislash (I'm testing it at the moment)

In addition, he has insane special defense, and he can make use of Assault Vest to boost it even higher, letting him tank some impressive special attacks (you could invest in defense and get a decent mixed bulky attacker) He can also utilise a choice band to slam into special attackers that think they have a chance of denting him, or you can run choice scarf to revenge kill a few threats (though I don't think this is a great setup)

He can also still run bulk up with leftovers, but he won't be doing as well having lost drain punch.

Access to shadow sneak lets him finish off weakened attackers nicely, and he checks several common pokemon (tyranitar does not appreciate a fighting move, although megatyranitar can be dangerous against gallade)

Leaf blade offers a bit of help against pokemon like rotom W (though it's not a 1hko, and willowisp will leave you in trouble)

I've been playing a bit with assault vest and the bulkiness is helping a lot, I'm also going to try a bulk up build, but I think that's not going to work as well since gallade has no drain punch any more.

Oh and finally, I haven't played with it at all yet, but it's on the todo list, gallade can run destiny bond. I'm thinking a destiny bond set will let you set up a free bulk up since gallade will probably go second, but it seems a bit sketchy.
I'd also like dusclops if possible he's working out nicely, since he can deal with unboosted aegislashes and tanks pretty much everything.
Unless you come up with solid substance as far as an OU-worthy Gallade set is concerned, we're gonna say "no," as Gallade is simple too vulnerable to many threats in the metagame, the main criminals being Talonflame and Aegislash (can use Shadow Sneak, doesn't give a damn about other moves aside from the coverage-inferior Night Slash).

And we also say "no" for Dusclops as it is still beaten by many threats due to its lack of offensive presence and reliability, and can't handle Aegislash well at all unless you count "escaping the field scathed and bloody" as good. "Tanking everything" didn't exactly do it many favors last generation either.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
How bout an Arcanine analysis? Its ability Intimidate allows it to soften up the many new physical threats (Talonflame Aegislash etc etc) and it has a decent Attack stat and wide physical movepool. (Also, the nerf on special attacks may have indirectly made physical attacker more prevalent idk. I'm strapped for time atm but I am willing to elaborate if need be and would like to reserve if it becomes available

Unless you come up with solid substance as far as an OU-worthy Gallade set is concerned, we're gonna say "no," as Gallade is simple too vulnerable to many threats in the metagame, the main criminals being Talonflame and Aegislash (can use Shadow Sneak, doesn't give a damn about other moves aside from the coverage-inferior Night Slash).

And we also say "no" for Dusclops as it is still beaten by many threats due to its lack of offensive presence and reliability, and can't handle Aegislash well at all unless you count "escaping the field scathed and bloody" as good. "Tanking everything" didn't exactly do it many favors last generation either.
I'm not really sure where you're coming with that.

Gallade can smack aegislash's face in with earthquake, here's a few stats.

Situation 1:
Aegislash is faster than gallade and uses shadow sneak:
252 Atk Aegislash Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gallade: 206-246 (60.58 - 72.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Gallade responds with a SE EQ against a now blade form aegislash:
252+ Atk Gallade Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 404-476 (124.69 - 146.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Alternatively if aegislash decides to swords dance:
252+ Atk Gallade Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 164-194 (50.61 - 59.87%) -- 85.94% chance to 2HKO
Not perfect, but aegislash just took a large hit, aegislash can now ohko with shadow sneak, which is problematic but I'd argue you could switch in something like kangaskhan or bisharp on a predicted shadow sneak and ohko nec turn with sucker punch. King's shield doesn't help aegislash at all since EQ won't result in an attack loss proccing, so there's that. A bulk up set with a boost or two isn't going to be stopped by an aegislash, but I'd say this is a pretty good outcome compared to most other physical attackers trying to take on aegislash.

Also keep in mind that a 252HP gallade with assault vest can tank nearly every special attack in the tier:
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 250-295 (73.52 - 86.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (alakazams shadow ball does even less)
To which gallade can respond:
252+ Atk Gallade Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 165-195 (65.47 - 77.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
followed by a clean ohko with shadow sneak next turn, or simply shadow sneak:
Shadow Sneak: 53.17 - 62.69%

That seems pretty good to me.

Next up gengar:
252+ SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 210-248 (61.76 - 72.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
To which gallade responds:
252+ Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 338-398 (129 - 151.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Or alternatively Gallade can shadow sneak:
Shadow Sneak: 42.74 - 51.14%
Or even EQ
Earthquake: 107.63 - 126.71%

Did you see that? Just then? Gallade just killed the two best unboosted special attackers in the metagame. But please, tell me more about how he can't kill common OU threats. Anything less than this won't even 2hko him so he can just power through them with a close combat, EQ or a grass blade/psycho cut depending on what coverage you want. Did I mention that since he's physical he eats calm minder's for breakfast?

Against talonflame, yes there are big issues with brave bird, but I don't think every pokemon which has problems with talonflame should be denied an ou analysis. Breloom is still around and so are a bunch of other pokemon that talonflame shuts down without even breaking a sweat, the rest of your team can have answers to talonflame. Besides that, gallade is specially defensive, not physically, so why would you use him to take on physical attackers.

Dusclops has been kicking ass in OU for me, he deals with a variety of threats and has a nice bag of tools to cause people trouble. The ability to survive virtually every single unboosted attack in the game should not be dismissed so damn quickly. Pain split gives him reliable recovery, willowisp cripples nearly every single physical threat I can think of with the exception of talonflame. My dusclops has eaten crunches from tyranitars and lived on to kill them.
This is the only move that can stop a HP/Defense dusclops in it's tracks:
Specs Chandelure Overheat: 114%-134%

That's the level of attack you need to ohko dusclops, by the way if you build a specially defensive dusclops, chandelure can no longer guarantee an ohko against dusclops (it's about a 20% chance) and on top of that chandelure will be down 2 special attack stages and choice locked into overheat. Special dusclops dies to crawdaunt's crunch and *nothing else*

Next up, his support pool is good, Curse is highly underrated, but in my opinion is definitely worth a slot, dusclops is bulky enough to take a neutral hit, curse and pain split, if the enemy switches out to avoid the curse damage, even better since dusclops will probably pain split against a full hp mon.

Alternatively, dusclops could run gravity, trick room, or if you're so inclined, swagger, toxic, destiny bond or even skill swap. Those are all a little gimmicky, but they're all options you can use. He also checks aegislash, say whatever the hell you want but dusclops burns aegislash, period. No matter what aegislash does or says, if it stays in, it gets burnt. Please don't try and tell me that an aegislash is happy to receive a burn.

I've seen sets for pokes like sharpedo and nidoking on this board, and I'd say they both are even worse off than this pair, these guys are definitely worth consideration.

I'm not really sure where you're coming with that.

Gallade can smack aegislash's face in with earthquake, here's a few stats.

Situation 1:
Aegislash is faster than gallade and uses shadow sneak:
252 Atk Aegislash Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gallade: 206-246 (60.58 - 72.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Gallade responds with a SE EQ against a now blade form aegislash:
252+ Atk Gallade Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 404-476 (124.69 - 146.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Alternatively if aegislash decides to swords dance:
252+ Atk Gallade Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 164-194 (50.61 - 59.87%) -- 85.94% chance to 2HKO
Not perfect, but aegislash just took a large hit, aegislash can now ohko with shadow sneak, which is problematic but I'd argue you could switch in something like kangaskhan or bisharp on a predicted shadow sneak and ohko nec turn with sucker punch. King's shield doesn't help aegislash at all since EQ won't result in an attack loss proccing, so there's that. A bulk up set with a boost or two isn't going to be stopped by an aegislash, but I'd say this is a pretty good outcome compared to most other physical attackers trying to take on aegislash.

Also keep in mind that a 252HP gallade with assault vest can tank nearly every special attack in the tier:
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 250-295 (73.52 - 86.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (alakazams shadow ball does even less)
To which gallade can respond:
252+ Atk Gallade Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 165-195 (65.47 - 77.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
followed by a clean ohko with shadow sneak next turn, or simply shadow sneak:
Shadow Sneak: 53.17 - 62.69%

That seems pretty good to me.

Next up gengar:
252+ SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 210-248 (61.76 - 72.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
To which gallade responds:
252+ Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 338-398 (129 - 151.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Or alternatively Gallade can shadow sneak:
Shadow Sneak: 42.74 - 51.14%
Or even EQ
Earthquake: 107.63 - 126.71%

Did you see that? Just then? Gallade just killed the two best unboosted special attackers in the metagame. But please, tell me more about how he can't kill common OU threats. Anything less than this won't even 2hko him so he can just power through them with a close combat, EQ or a grass blade/psycho cut depending on what coverage you want. Did I mention that since he's physical he eats calm minder's for breakfast?

Against talonflame, yes there are big issues with brave bird, but I don't think every pokemon which has problems with talonflame should be denied an ou analysis. Breloom is still around and so are a bunch of other pokemon that talonflame shuts down without even breaking a sweat, the rest of your team can have answers to talonflame. Besides that, gallade is specially defensive, not physically, so why would you use him to take on physical attackers.

Dusclops has been kicking ass in OU for me, he deals with a variety of threats and has a nice bag of tools to cause people trouble. The ability to survive virtually every single unboosted attack in the game should not be dismissed so damn quickly. Pain split gives him reliable recovery, willowisp cripples nearly every single physical threat I can think of with the exception of talonflame. My dusclops has eaten crunches from tyranitars and lived on to kill them.
This is the only move that can stop a HP/Defense dusclops in it's tracks:
Specs Chandelure Overheat: 114%-134%

That's the level of attack you need to ohko dusclops, by the way if you build a specially defensive dusclops, chandelure can no longer guarantee an ohko against dusclops (it's about a 20% chance) and on top of that chandelure will be down 2 special attack stages and choice locked into overheat. Special dusclops dies to crawdaunt's crunch and *nothing else*

Next up, his support pool is good, Curse is highly underrated, but in my opinion is definitely worth a slot, dusclops is bulky enough to take a neutral hit, curse and pain split, if the enemy switches out to avoid the curse damage, even better since dusclops will probably pain split against a full hp mon.

Alternatively, dusclops could run gravity, trick room, or if you're so inclined, swagger, toxic, destiny bond or even skill swap. Those are all a little gimmicky, but they're all options you can use. He also checks aegislash, say whatever the hell you want but dusclops burns aegislash, period. No matter what aegislash does or says, if it stays in, it gets burnt. Please don't try and tell me that an aegislash is happy to receive a burn.

I've seen sets for pokes like sharpedo and nidoking on this board, and I'd say they both are even worse off than this pair, these guys are definitely worth consideration.
Gallade:- So Gallade has to now run Earthquake just to net a potential 2hko on Aegislash while Aegislash mauls it with Shadow Sneak? Why couldn't any half-smart player Iron Head or go for a non-priority move on the Gallade first rather than risk not OHKOin it.... That is the first flaw in your argument. Secondly, you won't always manage to hit Gengar with Zen headbutt as it outspeeds and annihilates you with Shadow Ball, even if you live and take out Gengar you just let another Pokemon come in who can set up on you which isn't too hard considering Gallade lcks any really threatening attacks. The reason why I am going to reject Gallade is because it did not improve from last generation in addition to getting more weaknesses and more Pokemon resisting its attacks. Gallade isn't the fastest of Pokemon, has awful priority in Shadow Sneak unlike Breloom who has an amazing ability + STAB Priority + Spore plus better offensive and defensive typing than Gallade. Gallade already has great Special Defense so running Assault Vest is pointless...most Pokemon will target your physical defense stat and finish you off. Keep in mind that a Pokemon is not prevented from having a preview on the basis of common threats beating it, rather it being outclassed in virtually every department and had no improvement from the previous generation which it lacked an OU analysis. Your argument did not convince me as to why it should be given a preview so yeah.

Dusclops:- Trevenant does that role 100 times better (in regards to curse) due to harvest and the ability to run an item instead of Evoilite. Your post sounds good in theory but having used Dusclops in UU and having seen it being used alot, it is just a big annoyance that serves no real purpose. As a spin blocker its outclassed by other Ghost-types while it is also prone to be Taunted and has no way to threaten things with actual attacks unlike Gourgiest and Trevenant.

Both Pokemon are to be rejected, sorry.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Mandibuzz is Complete!

Epikhairz0603 brought up Arcanine as a possibility earlier and (unlike Gallade) I think Arcanine deserves consideration for an analysis. It has decent defenses, Intimidate, and can run a great physically defensive set of Flare Blitz, Morning Sun, WoW, Extremespeed/Roar/etc. It also has decent offenses when using LO/CB and powerful moves including Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Wild Charge, and Extremespeed. In particular, a 252+ CB Arcanine Extremespeed deals 50.1% min to 168HP Talonflame.

AccidentalGreed

Shroomisaur Epikhairz0603

Feel free to make an Arcanine thread. However, please keep in mind that the analysis has to be convincing, as we have little idea on what it can do, and on paper its viability is debatable.

Additionally, posting to say the whoever reserved Dedenne is busy, and it's up for reservations.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
I think Rotom-H deserves an analysis as well. It serves as a great Fairy-type resist, countering powerful ones like Togekiss and doing decent against Mega Mawile due to its great typing, which also allows it to do good at beating many Steel-types and flat out walling Talonflame. It is also now immune to paralysis, another plus, and now allows it to act as a status absorber sucking in both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave.

Thoughts?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Rotom-H deserves an analysis as well. It serves as a great Fairy-type resist, countering powerful ones like Togekiss and doing decent against Mega Mawile due to its great typing, which also allows it to do good at beating many Steel-types and flat out walling Talonflame. It is also now immune to paralysis, another plus, and now allows it to act as a status absorber sucking in both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave.

Thoughts?
Yes! I completely agree with you. As a matter of fact, I was actually just about to ask for it to be added to the list today. Rain is no longer a huge problem to Rotom-H thanks to the nerf, and with cool spinners like Excadrill and a bunch of viable defoggers to choose from, keeping Stealth Rock off the field is much easier. On top of that, it's an alternative to Rotom-W in most cases as a complete stop to Talonflame, but it has other advantages that Rotom-W doesn't, such as beating Ferrothorn, Trevanent, and Gourgeist. It definitely deserves an analysis.

Thoughts?
Yeah go for it

Is anyone doing Druddigon? I'd like to give it a shot. Lately I've found that with Mega Kangaskahn and Talonflame running around, bulky rough skin/rocky helmet phaser druddigon makes for a surprisingly good switch-in against these physical attackers. It's currently the bulkiest and most defensively sound user of rough skin and it also has Glare, which gives it a niche over bulky RS Garchomp as it can cripple many offensive threats on the switch. Mega Kangaskahn using Fake Out takes an extraordinary amount of damage from this, as does Talonflame using Brave Bird. Druddigon can also paralyze Talonflame and then out prioritise it with Sucker Punch. I've had decent success using it to harass Tyranitar and Gyarados too, as it can phase them out with Dragon Tail or paralyze them to make their speed boosts worthless, while being able to deal sufficient chunks of damage if they stay in on it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)