SM OU OU Sticky WEB Heavy Attack

Hey Guys my looking to build a Hard Hitting Offensive Sticky Web Team looking for some help or opinions on building this team.

Galvantula
Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 ATk / 252 Speed / 8 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Hidden Power ICE

The Obvious Lead to set up Sticky Web and running focus sash to guarantee sticky web is placed Sticky Web. A brilliant Speed tier of 108 allows it to set up Sticky Web with little to no problem. Bug Buzz and Thunder are your obvious STAB moves, with Compound Eyes boosting Thunder's accuracy to a reasonable 91%, and hidden Power Ice primarily hits a popular Defogger in Gligar and prevents Galvantula from being setup bait for Dragon Dance Flygon.

Mega Medicham
Medichamite
Ability : Pure POWER
Nature : Adamant
-High Jump KICK
- Ice Punch
- Recover
- Zen Heabutt
Mega Medicham hits like a truck and Sticky web allows it's sub par speed is of no concern with the web down. Recover is a bit out of the norm but plan to use Recover on known switch ins to maintain Hp and bulk just in case a high jump kick misses. Ice Punch is mainly just used for coverage.

Azumarill
Normalium Z
Ability : Huge Power
Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Knock off
Another hard hitter with sub par speed this build is mainly to aim to clean up late-game and with sticky web down and in place should help Azumarill outspeed and allow it to sweep without taking additional damage after the set up. Also can switch back in to Galvantula when Electric threats are present looking to counter azumarill. Any Grass Counters can switch into alolan muk to counter as well.

MUK
Black Sludge
Nature : Brave
Ability : Poison Touch
EVs:180 HP/ 252 Atk/ 76 spdef
- Minimize
- Sleep Talk
- Gunk Shot
-Rest

Plan to use Muk to swap in to wear down Attackers that can outspeed Azumarill poison touch allowing decaying damage to heavy sweeping attackers and minimize and rest to stall out and weaken those pokemon. Also sleep talk while resting to either increase evasiveness or deal some damage with gunk shot. Also can shut down any psychic counter that would crush Gengar.

Braviary
Leftovers
Ability : Defiant
EVs:172 HP/ 252 SpD/84 Spe
-Bulk up
-Brave Bird
- Roost
- Substitute

Bulky and heavy hitting Braviary to switch in on any ground earthquake spamming pokemon Alolan Muk being weak to ground makes an easy immune switch into braviary to counter. Also perfect counter to Ghost Pokemon that could easily wipe out Mega Medicham. Just a good choice on the team to switch in on some key weaknesses to the team.

Gengar
@ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Shadow Ball spam. That's basically what this thing does. And it's also a spinblocker. It mainly weakens the opponents Pokemons, but it also can act as a cleaner thanks to the web and its high speed. Focus Blast is to punish Dark types for coming on it.

CONCLUSION : Have not fully ran this team yet looking for some tips or advice on what you would change or maybe fix to make it better.

Last edited:
Have you even tried out this team on the simulator?
I don't want to offend you, but Minimize is banned in OU. So - you couldn't even run this team in this tier.

HOWEVER... as your Muk obviously needs another set, this one seems quite fair (it's also the OU set from the dex.):

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Also, Shuckle has proven to be a more reliable Web Setter in this Meta. It can encore, is almost never OHKOed, cannot be taunted, etc. So maybe try this instead of Galvantula:

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Knock Off

As I don't want to change everything, I just leave 2 other suggestions:

Bisharp as Defog Punishment and Mimikyu as a Spin-Blocker and a way to stop bein ste up on your Muk by certain threats.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey Andrew Snyder I'm not going to lie, this team needs a lot of work. You have the common theme with a webs setter + ghost + defiant mon + 3 abusers, but some of your abusers and mons you chose to fill the first 3 roles aren't ideal. This leads me to think your a newer player, or at least new to smogon, which means I plan on making this a bit more educational than a rate with a focus on fine tuning.

Firstly I'm going to post the OU Viability Ranks. This thread will give you a solid idea on what mons are good in the metagame you're trying to play, getting to know more about the mons at the top of the VR will help lay a solid foundation to go off when building in the future.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-ou-ultra-viability-ranking-thread.3621329/

Next We're going to move onto the team itself. Firstly with webs you have to focus on the Sticky Webs themselves. You need a mon to set them, and then ways to ensure they stay on the field (most common a Ghost type and a Defiant mon). You did a good job of recognizing this, but the mons you chose just weren't very good in the tier (circles back to the VR nudging you towards better mons in the future). With this in mind I'd like to play a little game of "Don't Use This, Use That".

Don't Use This
These are the three mons you chose for your "hazard control". The issue here is that Galvantula is to frail (almost always relying on its sash), and it also forces you to run rocks on another member of your team. You didn't have Stealth Rock on the original variant of the team, so that would need to be ammended with or without a change in the Galvantula slot. Next there is Gengar who while a spin blocker just finds itself in a rough spot as a spin blocker since it can't really set up, is frail, and has a lot of competition from another ghost who just has more to offer. Thirdly you had Braviary who just isn't good in OU. Yes it's a defiant mon, but once again there are better options for this slot that offer more to the team.

Use That

These 3 mons Shuckle, Mimikyu, and Bisharp create the most common Sticky Webs combination, and more often then not start out as musts on any Sticky Web Team (there some other Web setters like Araquanid that can be explored, but we'll focus on Shuckle for this). Shuckle has incredible bulk, access to the move Stealth Rock (which your team needs), Access to Encore so your setter can't be used as set up fodder, and the ability to run mental herb - this feeds off bulk, but it helps Shuckle avoid getting stopped from setting up webs vs Taunt users. Mimikyu then takes over the spin blocker role from Gengar. Access to Swords Dance lets it become a threat under webs in its own right, and access to disguise lets Mimikyu serve as a saftey valve vs threats if they start to get out of hand since Mimikyu is guaranteed to take one 1 hit. The saftey valve aspect of Mimikyu is just to big a plus for more hyper offensive teams, that it makes running another ghost like Gengar suboptimal. Finally we have Bisharp who serves as a great Defiant mon. Bisharp can set up SDs, Has access to priority, great offensive typing, and basically anything else you'd want from a Defiant abuser. Basically Bisharp is so great at what it does, because if you ever Defog vs this threat you're almost guaranteed to lose a mon or two which makes people start to question if removing webs is worth it at all.

Abusers:

This post was more to highlight the changes needed to the teams hazard control, but I have time to make a quick note on abusers. Firstly I encourage you to look at the VR for this as well since some of your choices on this are questionable. I'll let the M-Medi and Azumarill stay since I get originality, and don't want to change everything. However, I can't stand by while Muk is used on Webs. Muk is to slow, and with the addition of Bisharp doesn't even serve as the teams best trapper. Instead I suggest you try something like SD Landorus-T or a Bulky set up Zygarde. From reading the original team I get the idea you haven't really tested (you used minimize in ou), so I suggest you play around with the abusers with the VR in mind tell you find a combination you like.

Also as a side note don't use recover on Medicham, it's to frail to take advantage. You're better off just using Fake Out for the nice priority which is always appreciated on Webs teams in case of emergency.

Conclusion:

I hope this little "rate" could help you get a better understanding of Sticky Web teams, and improve your building for the future. If you have any questions or concerns about anything in this post let me know, and I'd be happy to help with whatever. I'll drop an import of the core 3 + an SD lando set to use along Azu and Medi. That's all I really had to say, had fun writing this up, have a good day n_n hope this helped you somewhat!

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Final Gambit

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)