Passimian Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Passimian
Fighting
Abilities: Receiver / Receiver / Defiant
HP: 100
Atk: 120
Def: 90
SpAtk: 40
SpDef: 60
Spe: 80

Level Up

L1 - Tackle
L4 - Leer
L8 - Rock Smash
L11 - Focus Energy
L15 - Beat Up
L18 - Scary Face
L22 - Take Down
L25 - Bestow
L29 - Thrash
L32 - Bulk Up
L36 - Double-Edge
L39 - Fling
L43 - Close Combat
L46 - Reversal
L50 - Giga Impact

TMs

TM01 - Work Up
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Smack Down
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM47 - Low Sweep
TM48 - Round
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Seismic Toss
Egg - Vital Throw
Egg - Quick Guard
Egg - Iron Head
Egg - Quick Attack
Egg - Feint

New Ability

Receiver: The Pokémon copies the Ability of a defeated ally.

Last edited:
Seeing as he has both rain dance and sunny day, funnily enough he seems to fit well on doubles weather teams. Pair with a swift swimmer or chlorophyll user, if they get fainted he gains their massive speed boost. No superpower, at least not until tutors in the next gen 7 games, so contrary isn't that good of a passing option. There aren't any huge power holders in VGC17 unfortunately, huge power Earthquake off of 120 base will be ridiculous in the next season though. Even though his speed is strictly 'meh' scary face will give him at least some speed control.

Overall, I think it's a very good pokemon for VGC/BSD but will be mostly outclassed in singles.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Well, at least they gave him something to work with on Singles!
Are you sure you're not just presuming that Reciver only works in doubles? Look at the description - there is actually nothing suggesting that it wouldn't work in singles.

Anyway - here's an idea I have for a partner for Passimian:

082.gif

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Explosion

If you're implying it will pick an ability of an already KO'd Pokemon when it comes in, that makes it sound a lot more random/risky then it already is to me.

Are you sure you're not just presuming that Reciver only works in doubles? Look at the description - there is actually nothing suggesting that it wouldn't work in singles.

Anyway - here's an idea I have for a partner for Passimian:

View attachment 72963
Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
I think the word ally does mean it will only work in Doubles/Triples. Unless I'm missing something here...

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
I think the word ally does mean it will only work in Doubles/Triples. Unless I'm missing something here...
Think of how Retaliate is programmed.
"The user gets revenge for a fainted ally. If an ally fainted in the previous turn, this attack's damage increases."
See? And that moves' effect works in singles

Think of how Retaliate is programmed.
"The user gets revenge for a fainted ally. If an ally fainted in the previous turn, this attack's damage increases."
See? And that moves' effect works in singles
Oh, I see. I guess it could work if you sent it after one of your Pokemon fainted and then it gets their ability?

I'm doubtful because in the trailer it only showed it working directly after the Pokemon besides it died, but then idk. We gon' need some confirmation here.

{looks at level-up movelist} {not that interested}

And to think I pre-downloaded Sun precisely because I thought I might want Passimian on my in-game team...Well, back to Primeape.

Pretty excited for this guy in VGC. You essentially have a back up rain setter if your Politoed goes down. (Or back up Terrain setter since those are probably going to be the new meta. Although, they do stack.) Good attack and physical bulk so he can pull some weight. He'll probably be a one trick pony with his limited move pool though.

It could go adrenaline orb + Guts with Protect, Acrobatics (assuming the orb is gone cause it says its a one time only use), close combat and iron head for a vgc attacker.
Or maybe a Protect Quick guard, Bestow/Rain dance/Sunny day, Close combat, Bulldoze: Quick guard for you know, priority block and stuff, Bestow to pass an item to a friend that has an expandable item (2 itens for one mon yay) or rain dance/sunny day to setup for a swift swim/clorophyll partner that can enjoy it and, after daying present you with its ability to make you a fast hiter. Bulldoze for speed controll/chip damage

This is one shitty pokemon. Goodluck in PU. The only redeeming quality of this pokemon is reciever and thats it. This monkey is outclassed by Sawk and almost every other fighting pokemon in existence. This pokemon is a joke.

This is one shitty pokemon. Goodluck in PU. The only redeeming quality of this pokemon is reciever and thats it. This monkey is outclassed by Sawk and almost every other fighting pokemon in existence. This pokemon is a joke.
You may want to rethink that statement when it Receives Speed Boost and starts sweeping.

You may want to rethink that statement when it Receives Speed Boost and starts sweeping.
most of the time it wont be sweeping. It is hardwalled by ghost and psychic pokemon for the most part and doesnt even get knock off, stone edge or ice punch. This pokemon is literally the worst new pokemon of this generation besides pyumuku, cosmog, cosmeo who dont have any attacking moves haha.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Passimian has almost identical stats to Sawk who sits comfortably in RU. Cool your shitmon jets. It's not clear at all how Receiver works in singles, pikachuguy is right, if it's possible for this monkey to inherit Speed Boost or Huge Power you won't think it's a joke anymore.

most of the time it wont be sweeping. It is hardwalled by ghost and psychic pokemon for the most part and doesnt even get knock off, stone edge or ice punch. This pokemon is literally the worst new pokemon of this generation besides pyumuku, cosmog, cosmeo who dont have any attacking moves haha.
Seriously m8? I know this isn't exactly an amazing Pokemon but you have stuff like Gumshoos and Alolan Raticate around.

okay but why the hell does it not get seed bomb??

Passimian has almost identical stats to Sawk who sits comfortably in RU. Cool your shitmon jets. It's not clear at all how Receiver works in singles, pikachuguy is right, if it's possible for this monkey to inherit Speed Boost or Huge Power you won't think it's a joke anymore.
not to mention the physical bulk
it doesn't even need sturdy to avoid getting OHKO'd and can use defiant even if receiver ends up not doing anything in singles

Well, it is VGC focused so it does not need to be a powerhowse itself to be a good mon. It does have nice supporting options, a good ability, decent bulk and damage capabilities to dish of when it's not required to Quick guard/Bestow/feint, for a few examples.

It can support by absorving the terrain or weather setting abilities of partners who die so he can reset the weather (from an enemy favorable sun to rain for example).
It can acquire immunities with volt/water absorb, levitate, wonder guard.
Can use a Z-stone to boost its speed by one or two while supporting the team by setting rain/sun (+1 speed), bestowing items to item consumed allies (+2 speed), slowing enemies with scary face (speed +2).
Or simply assuring your ally is gonna land that Z-move protect free with a good old feint.
It gets Quick Guard.

In singles it does get Defiant + adrenaline orb for a free Dragon Dance effect to punish the ever present intimidate users by setuping by existing.

Of course it could have a wider movepool, but it does have some options in acrobatics, u-turn, bulk up (+2 atk +1 def if Z- bulk) and he will most likely get way much more after they add Tutor moves on the next games.

Bear in mind that this is a newborn, it does not have all its tools available yet.

Jumping the gun quite a lot here. It's far from worst Pokemon from the new batch this gen. It's not amazing but won't fall to PU. Maybe RU. If nothing else it's clearly meant to be a doubles mon where it at least already has a possible set of Defiant + Adrenaline Orb to start off immediately with +1 in attack and +1 in speed if the opponent leads with an intimidator which is stupidly common in VGC. And even if they don't lead with theirs you still warded off the intimidate lead which could throw some sets off a bit since VGC sets use pretty specific EV builds taking stuff like intimidate into account.

And that's without it's signature ability. With receiver you at least possibly have a back up rain setter or terrain setter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)