Pokémon GO

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Today, the weather in Trondheim was unseasonably lovely, so I went out for a stroll to see if I could get me an Entei. I caught the first one I found, albeit with an IV percentage of less than 80. The second (just up the street from the first one) got away from every ball I chucked at it without as much as a shake. I guess my crappy throwing was to blame, though. Luckily, the critter is slated to be here for an entire month, I will probably get more attempts at a high-IV one in the future.

Defeating the Entei earned me a lot of items, and I got even more from reaching level 30 in the process, on top of an already-full bag. After the first battle, my Item count read 520/400. I walked around town for another ten kilometers or so (slightly less according to the game's notoriously shaky GPS - I didn't quite hatch the 10 km eggs I threw into my newly Incubators), catching every Pokémon I encountered, and I still couldn't bring the Item count below the capacity of my Bag. Sadly, that meant no PokéStops, and I passed a lot of stops I've never spun before. Oh well, at least now I know where they are, so if I take the same route another time, I can claim them all for tons of bonus Exp.

What bug exactly? :o
The curveball doesn't register sometimes, once you pay attention to it you can realize it happens more frequently than you think (plus, if the pokemon breaks out, you have no way to know if the curve registered or not). No one knows exactly what the current criteria is that causes some curveballs to not count, but either way niantic recognized it as a bug so hopefully we have a fix coming soon.

Sucks... I mean, what's the point of the 'I am a passenger option' if you get softbanned when you're actually a passenger?

Also, does a softban leave any marks/flags to your account?
Well, "I am a passenger" was generally for cars and the such. My personal problem with taking the train while having the game open is that there is a decent possibility(in my train system) is that it tends to lose GPS signal quite often. Here's my example:

I was taking the train back from the city, after doing some raids. Decided to take the gym at the train station while raiding. Me being stupid, I simply kept it on while getting on the train, and traveling a few miles. Of course, to my phone(and poor connection), i was "still at the train station." After i had traveled two miles, My phone recognized that I had reconnected, teleporting me from the old station to the new one. Thus, I looked like I was spoofing.

This is only from personal experience, don't know if anyone else has experienced that or if you have other ways of getting softbanned.

Also no, I don't believe that it flags your account, at least not in the way botting/using an illegal API does.

This is only from personal experience, don't know if anyone else has experienced that or if you have other ways of getting softbanned.
Yeah, this is exactly what happened to me. I thought it wouldn't matter since I play in a legit way. Sometimes I just want to power up some Pokémon or reorganize my stuff while I don't have anything else to do in the train. I'll avoid that in the future, I guess.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
These raikou raids are certainly something, am 1 for 4 in these catches and it's not been getting any easier. had a CP 1893 ran from me even with 11 ball chances and not a single miss as few times had it breaking out of ball after being oh so close so next time I may alternate regular berries with golden razz so I don't run low on them so soon. I'm already down to 5 extra premium raid passes so I'm going to limit them to doing raikou with my organized raid group on facebook & discord at least one or 2 times a day maybe doubling up on my free raid passes. My raid team has been solid leading with dragonite then 2 golems & 2 rhydons and trailing with an exeggutor as I'm usually on my 3rd or 4th pokemon when we finish up on raikou. Am so glad about hoarding on my charged TMs so I can use them wisely. Had successfully changed rhydon's stone edge to earthquake since it was never used in my legendary bird raids anyways usually in favor using others instead.

Last edited:
I feel you Evan. Today I had my sixth Entei run away from me, so I'm at 0/6 atm. I'm trying very hard on these throws as well, constantly hitting perfect throws (Excellent + Curve Ball combined with Golden Razz berries). It's funny, because I had an almost 100% catch rate on the birds. We'll get it eventually... right? :)

I haven't seen the master again... how much is the catch rate? Should be 3% like the birds, isn't it?
At least I got one Suikun so that's enough for now, but I'm afraid of running out of my supply quickly....

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
This youtube video with 14 consecutive failed excellent throws got me wondering here...
I will direct you to this thread on TSR on why this is RNG. It's just odds; you're just working to maximize your catch rate by doing Excellents + Curves + Golden Razzes.
I haven't seen the master again... how much is the catch rate? Should be 3% like the birds, isn't it?
At least I got one Suikun so that's enough for now, but I'm afraid of running out of my supply quickly....
2% like Lugia.

I'm 5 for 8 at this point, and I feel like RNG's just being mean to a very select group of people. Out of 15 people that did a raid last night, 12 caught it, which are actually decent odds.

Whenever you put a Pokémon in a gym it CP lowers by a bit, so you can feed it one berry and it's completely full again. But even though it's full, you can still feed it several more berries. What does that do?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Whenever you put a Pokémon in a gym it CP lowers by a bit, so you can feed it one berry and it's completely full again. But even though it's full, you can still feed it several more berries. What does that do?
Allows you to farm gym EXP and stardust even if no Pokemon benefit from it. That and the rare chance of getting candy out of it. Very slim rewards overall, but it's better than throwing berries away.

Okay, can someone tell me how this is possible? We're getting creeped out here.

Me and my friend are fighting a Yellow gym here. The only Pokémon in there is a Blissey, 2600 CP. When we beat it once, its CP drops to around 1700. But when we go into the gym again, the Blissey already gained a large portion of its CP back. It's like the owner fed the Blissey some berries in the meantime. But isn't it impossible to feed your Pokémon berries when (and a few minutes before/after) the gym is being attacked? It almost feels that this person is cheating in some sort of way. We managed to beat the gym down once completely, and right when we wanted to add our Pokémon into the gym THIS PERSON'S BLISSEY WAS IN IT ALREADY AGAIN. The gym turned from neutral to Yellow again, and there's nothing we could do about it.

Can somebody tell me what's going on here? What's even scarier about this is the fact that the name of the gym is 'The house of Czaar Peter' and the trainer adding his Blissey into the gym is called Czaarpeter. I am literally flabbergasted and we have no clue what's going on.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, can someone tell me how this is possible? We're getting creeped out here.

Me and my friend are fighting a Yellow gym here. The only Pokémon in there is a Blissey, 2600 CP. When we beat it once, its CP drops to around 1700. But when we go into the gym again, the Blissey already gained a large portion of its CP back. It's like the owner fed the Blissey some berries in the meantime. But isn't it impossible to feed your Pokémon berries when (and a few minutes before/after) the gym is being attacked? It almost feels that this person is cheating in some sort of way. We managed to beat the gym down once completely, and right when we wanted to add our Pokémon into the gym THIS PERSON'S BLISSEY WAS IN IT ALREADY AGAIN. The gym turned from neutral to Yellow again, and there's nothing we could do about it.

Can somebody tell me what's going on here? What's even scarier about this is the fact that the name of the gym is 'The house of Czaar Peter' and the trainer adding his Blissey into the gym is called Czaarpeter. I am literally flabbergasted and we have no clue what's going on.
The person was probably feeding their blissey golden razzberries remotely. You aren't allowed to place a new pokemon in a gym when its being attacked. You can however, feed pokemon in a friendly gym at any time even when it is getting attacked, similarly to how you could prestige a gym when it was being attacked in the old system. This strategy will probably become more rare with access to golden razz berries being more limited, but its a common strategy to try to wait out the attacker or hope they give up, or are stopped by a raid so you can buy time and gain extra coins.

The person was probably feeding their blissey golden razzberries remotely. You aren't allowed to place a new pokemon in a gym when its being attacked. You can however, feed pokemon in a friendly gym at any time even when it is getting attacked, similarly to how you could prestige a gym when it was being attacked in the old system. This strategy will probably become more rare with access to golden razz berries being more limited, but its a common strategy to try to wait out the attacker or hope they give up, or are stopped by a raid so you can buy time and gain extra coins.
Ah alright. So when a gym is being attacked, you can still feed your Pokémon berries remotely. Can you also do this while just tapping on the gym when you're closeby? I think I tried feeding my Pokémon berries a while ago when my gym was being attacked, but it wouldn't let me because of the 'gym is under attack' thing. I may be confused here...

Ah alright. So when a gym is being attacked, you can still feed your Pokémon berries remotely. Can you also do this while just tapping on the gym when you're closeby? I think I tried feeding my Pokémon berries a while ago when my gym was being attacked, but it wouldn't let me because of the 'gym is under attack' thing. I may be confused here...
I believe you have to find your pokemon at its summary screen, and it'll take you to the gym where you can feed it(there is a radius for this). I've had some bugs from just tapping on the gym, but it's supposed to be possible iirc

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Alright, we have begun seeing signs of the first EX Raid Passes being distributed to trainers as we speak! These are the first of many to be rolled out worldwide, and thus giving a chance to those that could not grab Mewtwo in Yokohama (most of us) to get one.

Additionally, we have Safari Zone events now scheduled for some parts in Europe, starting Sept 16. It is something worth going for if you're in the selected areas, as you get access to Shiny Pikachu, Magikarp, and various formes of Unown.

Oh man I really wanted to go to the event in The Netherlands. But exactly on that day I'm going on vacation for a weekend because it's my birthday. Bummer... I wish last event just didn't get discontinued :(

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Checked the Silph Road, but so far there seems to be not much facts to go by in regards to which gyms get selected, how "recently" one must have raided there, and at what time intervals the raid will occur. Initially I thought we'd have a much larger time window, but it seems to operate during the same time frame as regular raids, which sucks since the risk of not being available at that specific time increases significantly for us workers.

Bummer... I wish last event just didn't get discontinued :(
I don't grant wishes, son.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I haven't seen any EX raid passes in my journal yet though was 2 for 3 in my raikou raids today as I tried and succeeded with some different methods today. Since I usually get a 3 second lag, I'd start with my bite/crunch tyranitar to get as much damage done, then go to my golem/rhydon/golem/rhydon and I'm usually at my 2nd golem when raikou gets finished anyways. Instead of using just golden razz I'd alternate with either a nanab or pinap with the golden razz especially if it breaks out of the ball immediately so to play around with the RNG and since I had gym and team control had plenty of balls left. I'd wait until raikou taunts before tossing my curve ball and was consistently landing greats most the time. Hopefully this trend continues. My best is at 84% in IVs so am hoping for something better to come along especially if it's at 100% preferably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)