Pokémon GO

So I'm not clear on something.

Does the double EXP and stardust and such last until the 26th, or was the 26th the period for catching and then the bonuses lasted longer? I'm going to be out of urban area for Thanksgiving weekend, but if the bonus expires before I go back on Monday, I want to still use my Lucky Egg and do my mass Pidgey Evolution while it's active to stack.

Does anyone know when the Double XP ends? Still collecting some Pidgey fodder for mass evolving.

EDIT: Lol Pika Pal asked the same.

Last edited:
So I'm not clear on something.

Does the double EXP and stardust and such last until the 26th, or was the 26th the period for catching and then the bonuses lasted longer? I'm going to be out of urban area for Thanksgiving weekend, but if the bonus expires before I go back on Monday, I want to still use my Lucky Egg and do my mass Pidgey Evolution while it's active to stack.
Does anyone know when the Double XP ends? Still collecting some Pidgey fodder for mass evolving.

EDIT: Lol Pika Pal asked the same.
Well according to Pokémon GO Hub, double XP will last until 1pm PST on 1 December, along with double stardust, 6 hour lures and increased spawns. 26 November is the last day for catching though.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I hate how the one thing that they didn’t do was increase rare candies for the new raid system. So annoying that you gather enough people for a legendary raid and get 0 rare candies.

Regardless, this Thanksgiving I am thankful for the additional stardust and Experience. At level 38, it is greatly appreciated. Further love the lure modules enhanced, it helps with evolved Pokémon spawns.

To be fair I think Niantic is just making up those numbers. There's no way the (oh so small) Pokémon GO community caught 2.000.000.000+ Pokémon in the past few days.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At this point all I care about is getting a Farfetch'd registered in my pokedex as I predict it will happen on early morning Sunday my time.

I am once again very upset over being snubbed from yet another ex raid invite for December 3rd as I was at the same legendary raid recently where some of my raid pals got their invite while I still did not, so I've been taking it rather personally. I don't understand how a kid that only did a magikarp raid gets not just one invite but 2 while us higher level raiders don't.

Edit: quick update, I made it to level 39 while using my last lucky egg for 2 successful legendary raids along with some mass pidgey evolutions. Another 5 million XP to go until I reach level 40 which I'm in no rush to do now but will continue catching during this XP/stardust event while it lasts and hopefully get Farfetch'd as soon as tomorrow.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Already caught 6 Farfetch'd here, good thing they're common for the next 48 hours. Will probably keep only the ones that are 50% or greater in IVs

I'm so happy we did it. I was active in the event for 3 days, because I didn't get a notification on day 1 and my birthday was day 3, that was also my restock day, because I threw over 350 Pokeballs in day 2. In the 3 days I was actively go plusing, I caught almost 500 Pokémon. I also got enough experience in this event to level up to 32. Pretty happy with Farfetch'd and I loved this event more than any other (not counting the ones with special Pikachu)

Even though I already caught Farfetch'd on a trip to Japan earlier this year, I still like Farfetch'd being out here in the wild. Khan has been out here, now Farfetch'd. It's definitely a nice gesture, and sign that they're maybe eventually going to do this for the other regional exclusives as well :D

plenty of farfetch'd about... todays catch of the day though, currently living on a pokestop, open game, the pokestop is lured, Murkrow spawns on the lure.. only 100% IV level 30.. had to use nanab+golden razz on that as well.. (dunno why that still works on some)

just need tauros to come out and gen 1 is done.

I just realized something. Double XP event + Lucky Egg + spinning an unseen Pokestop = 1K XP per spin. That's mad. Let's say you enter a major city centre that has thousands of unseen stops. Around 4/5 spins per minute = 120K+ XP, just for spinning. Definitely a good substitute when you're out of fodder for evolving :D

A new legendary will be available via raids until December 12th:

Ho-Oh Appearing in Raid Battles around the World!

Trainers,

Congratulations! We issued a challenge—and you answered the call. Collectively, you caught over 3 billion Pokémon during the Global Catch Challenge, unlocking some amazing rewards along the way. But that’s not all… As a result of all your hard work, Ho-Oh is now appearing in Raid Battles at Gyms around the world until December 12, 2017. So, gather your friends and find a Legendary Raid near you!

Good luck!

—The Pokémon GO team

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Too bad this Pokémon is outclassed by Entei / Moltres as a Fire-type and by other things like Dnite as a generalist...

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
STAB damage output:4969B8F5-59CD-4530-924E-8A24525D0780.jpeg 7F434BB1-1836-4F53-81EC-0CD119087561.jpeg512397D7-C31A-4561-82AF-245FB72240D2.jpeg 7A804AF4-BEE9-4D99-A868-059C6676C100.jpeg
Still, a nice must-have imo
Yes, it is a must-have and...
I have become one of the first people ever to get it!

72D4F396-54F4-4545-9522-D718BF9823BC.jpeg

The crimson Phoenix has come to claim its rightful place with ultimate CP that rivals Mewtwo and allows even low IV ones to sit above Moltres!
Ho-oh! Whoa-oh!0AB8CE66-3135-417B-9818-58AE6A115D71.jpeg

I disagree about it being outclassed, Solar Beam allows it to handle Rock, Water, and Ground types like Rhydon, Vaporeon, and Tyranitar (remember that Stone Edge is a 1 Bar Move, just like Solar Beam) and comes off 263 Attack, while Brave Bird is the single strongest single bar move, while Ho-oh the single strongest released Flying Type, and Rayquaza won’t know it...

This is while Ho-oh hits the Rhydon, and Tyranitars with Steel Wing to build up energy faster because it deals more damage than Tyranitars’ resisted Iron Tail, and Rhydon’s Rock Smash. Even STAB neutral Bite and Mud Slap don’t compare as Steel Wing has the highest DPS for a Quick Move.

Focus on Fire only moves and it loses, focus on Fire typing with coverage (Steel Wing for Tyranitar and Rhydon), (Solar Beam for all 3 Fire weaknesses) or Brave Bird for all your neutral coverage, and you have yourself the Bird that soars above Dragonite.

416972E5-E0B1-48BB-B27F-CA6D734AE050.jpeg

Steel types Wall every single move of Dragonite, (Metagross and friends are coming).

For all of its Resists:
Solar Beam: Rock, Ground, Water,
Brave Bird: Fire, Dragon
Also to handle Steels that wall it’s other moves:
Fire Blast: Steel

Can any other fire type completely cover all of its Fire resistances?

To be fair: Flying and Fire both cover Bug, and Grass.
Flying also handles Fighting, while Fire handles Ice (mostly part water which neutralizes Type Weakness) and Steel.

Ho-oh will outdamage when going for many of the same types.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
^ If you want to use something that is a dust waster because you aren't using real counters against shit like Tyranitar, go ahead and follow this advice.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
0A8BA951-D92B-4BBB-90A4-303CF22704F0.png ^_^

0A8BA951-D92B-4BBB-90A4-303CF22704F0.png

If you want to ignore the Base 301 Defense stats that puts it above Registeel, then just read that guys post- ignoring the value of high Offense and Defense with perfect coverage paired with the highest DPS Quick and single-bar Charge move in the game.

Screenshots of Move comparison and damage output in my previous post.

[Never said it counters them, just that it covers its weaknesses, unlike any other Fire type).

One final note:
Stone Edge at 100 Base Power with STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) and the 4 X Effectiveness multiplier is = 100 X 1.4 X 1.4 X 1.2 = 235.2 Base Power

Solar Beam at 180 Base Power and the 2 X Effectiveness multiplier is = 180 X 1.4 = 252 Base Power

Factor in Ho-Oh gets higher Attack and Defense than Tyranitar, it looks like Tyranitar is at the disadvantage...

This is before we factor in Steel Wing being Super Effective...

Don’t even get me started on Rhydon...

Attachments

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Sincerely, you're posting bad advice.

Great, it has high stats cause you know it's a lovely mascot legendary, which say nothing to what it really has.

It lacks severely in the movepool that relegates it to being a niche counter to shit like Rhydon w/o Stone Edge or Bite / Fire Blast Tyranitar. Dust, being the most important resource in the game that is so scarce due to how power-ups scale, is better used for raid boss counters or a generalist to kill gyms in today's meta (and/or if you live in a crowded place, Blissey). Ho-Oh is suboptimal at its role, given there are BETTER things that kill Rhydon or Tyranitar.

The most accurate simulator doesn't even put it at the top 25 of viable Pokemon in terms of gym cleaning or raid bosses.

Rhydon isn't a boss anymore, so second best thing: against Mud Slap / Earthquake Golem? Not in the top 25. Bite or Iron Tail / Fire Blast Tyranitar? Nada. All moves it resists and it doesn't matter. It's just not good lol.

If said person doesn't care about optimization, Ho-Oh's niche is disregarded as they will power it up anyways. I would power one up just for it to look pretty if I had the dust too.

EDIT: Oh yea it also has a 9% stat nerf that you failed to even mention in your post which puts it at 239 Atk / 274 Def / 193 HP (Registeel isn't crying now!).

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I just edited my post above, as my iPhone didn’t show your post until just now.
——
My edit shows that Solar Beam does Higher Base damage to Tyranitar than a Stone Edge does to Ho-Oh.
——
I didn’t post bad advice, because I didn’t say Ho-oh counters Tyranitar, but if it happens to actually outdamage and defeat it’s own “counter”, then it must be doing something right.
——
The reason to power up Ho-Oh is because it has the second strongest current Solar Beam in the game, just below Exeggutor which gains STAB, has the best DPS Quick move (Steel Wing) and single-bar Charge Move (Brave Bird, and then STAB on top of that).

The benefit of Ho-Oh, is you can SAVE stardust by using Charge TMs based on your needs. Why power up an Exeggutor and Fire type like Moltres, when you can have Ho-Oh do Solar Beam when you need it, and then Fire Blast when you need that?

With the advent of TMs you can have a single Pokémon serve 2 roles.

Yes, Ho-oh is weak to Golem, just as Moltres is. Some advantages include if you need a Solar Beam user not weak to Ice (Lapras Raids), a Fire Pokemon not weak to Ground for (Golem Raids) as an immunity = 51%, then multiplied by the Weakness = 1.4 = 71.4% Damage which is like being resistant to begin with).

At least Ho-oh isn’t fire only moves...

Now Ho-Oh can Counter Frost Breathe + Ice Beam Lapras, Mud Slap + EQ Golem, and still take out mainstays at Gyms. People have used Bite Crunch Gyarados for Focus Blast Mewtwo, Gengar and Alakazam Raids, as well as Hydro Pump Lugia Raids. If they need to, they can just TM away the Bite and Crunch instead of having to catch, hatch, and stardust to power up another 400 candy Gyarados from a good IV Magicarp with Hydro Pump.

I have so many collected TMs from Raids, and for Raids.
With my Pokémon Go+, and the event with double stardust, I don’t see stardust being a problem either.
If you need lots of stardust just get a Pokémon Go+

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
plenty of farfetch'd about... todays catch of the day though, currently living on a pokestop, open game, the pokestop is lured, Murkrow spawns on the lure.. only 100% IV level 30.. had to use nanab+golden razz on that as well.. (dunno why that still works on some)

just need tauros to come out and gen 1 is done.
Please put a little more effort into your post structure. A post is supposed to be more than just a collection of random phrases and strings of words. Use capitalization and proper punctuation. It's site rules, and you can be infracted for breaking them.

And OM, Blitz, be careful to keep discussion civil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)