Pokémon GO

did a couple of raids today, Quliava and Magikarp.. only like 2-3 people, Niantic need to all you to see who is in the party before you join, I only did those raids because it was soloable regardless.

Trying to understand everything, may get back into the game. Few questions regarding the latest set of updates:

When fighting against a raid Pokémon (the big one with a lot of CP, what's the official name for it?), do you get to catch that Pokémon after you've beat it? I just did my first raid and got to catch a Quilava after I beat it. I'm wondering if I'm going to see myself catching T-Tar and Blissey soon.

What does a Rare Candy exactly do?

What's the difference between a regular Razz Berry and a Golden Razz Berry?

How/where do I get a Raid Pass? The game says I can get one every day, but where? Been spinning stops/gyms the entire day, haven't had one yet.

Is a Premium Raid Pass(?) from the shop different than a regular one?

How does the coin reward system work now? It looks like they've changed it 3/4 times over the last 72 hours...

Let's say a gym is blue (Mystic). If a raid Pokémon spawns on top, can any team fight it? Or only other teams than Mystic?

How do I take over gyms now, as opposed to before the update?

What is the catch rate of the Premier Ball shown after you complete a raid?

What are all the different ways to earn points for your gym (badges)?

What do you get if you completely fill the bar of a gym badge you have?

Is there any benefit in collecting as much gym badges as possible?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Trying to understand everything, may get back into the game. Few questions regarding the latest set of updates:
I'll do my best to at least answer these 3:

Rare Candy is essentially a substitute for candies for that specie, so to use it, select the specie you want to convert the rare candy to. I had 2 rare candies and I needed them for Lapras.

How/where do I get a Raid Pass? The game says I can get one every day, but where? Been spinning stops/gyms the entire day, haven't had one yet.
Should be able to receive one Raid Pass per day at the gym's pokestop, could've been a restriction due to level which I believe is now available to all.

I believe they're the same for those more desperate to do more raids than the normal raid pass will allow.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader

When fighting against a raid Pokémon (the big one with a lot of CP, what's the official name for it?), do you get to catch that Pokémon after you've beat it? I just did my first raid and got to catch a Quilava after I beat it. I'm wondering if I'm going to see myself catching T-Tar and Blissey soon.

Raid Boss is the name of the Pokemon.

Yes, you get to catch the Pokemon if you succeed in beating it, so Tyranitar is a possible option. Blissey is not a Raid Boss YET so you cannot get those.

You use it, and you click a Pokemon in your inventory. It will change into 1 candy for that Pokemon (so 1 Rare Candy -> 1 Pokemon Candy of your choice)

What's the difference between a regular Razz Berry and a Golden Razz Berry?

Regular Razz Berries give a 1.5x catch rate to Pokemon. Golden Razz Berries give a 2.5x catch rate; additionally, they restore all motivation of a single Pokemon in a gym.

Spin a stop at a gym and you will get it. You need to be level 25+ to have it at this point in time I believe.

It is different in the fact that you can hold an indefinite amount of them. So, more raids per day.

How does the coin reward system work now? It looks like they've changed it 3/4 times over the last 72 hours...

Coins are received automatically now (no defender bonus), and are determined by how long a Pokemon is in a gym. For every 10 minutes your Pokemon spends in a gym, you receive one coin. You can only get 50 coins (instead of 100) a day now.

Let's say a gym is blue (Mystic). If a raid Pokémon spawns on top, can any team fight it? Or only other teams than Mystic?

The gym will remain blue, but all teams can fight the Raid Boss. Once the Raid Boss is gone, the gym will return to its original state (Blue), and teams can then either keep it up or take it down.

How do I take over gyms now, as opposed to before the update?

It's the same thing as before, you fight the Pokemon in the gym numerous times until it falls. The difference being that you have to deprive its motivation to 0 (as opposed to prestige) so it is kicked out. After that is done, you and 5 other people can slot in the empty gym.

What is the catch rate of the Premier Ball shown after you complete a raid?

I don't believe this is known, but it is likely to be the same as a Poke Ball given that the main games Premier Ball has a catch rate of 1.0x

What are all the different ways to earn points for your gym (badges)?

Feeding Pokemon and battling the gyms are ways to fill your gym badges. I am not sure if returning Pokemon yield progress to the badge.

What do you get if you completely fill the bar of a gym badge you have?

You get more items from the Photo Disc of that particular gym when you spin it. For example, a Bronze badge will yield an extra item when you go spin that gym's stop, regardless if your team controls it or not.

Is there any benefit in collecting as much gym badges as possible?

We have no idea, other than that it could be an indicator for Niantic to decide "high gym activity" for access to legendary raids.
Answers in bold above :)

Answers in bold above :)
Thank you for the elaborate answers. Seems like you know a lot about it. Any idea what raids get triggered by? And are they only during the day?

And I thought a Raid Boss was always the highest of the defending Pokémon in a gym. But according to your answer Raid Bosses are random (beforehand picked) Pokémon that will spawn on top of gyms. So not one of the Pokémon that are actually defending the gym.

And about the coin matter. Let's say I've got 10 Pokémon that all have been in different gyms for 24 hours. And they get kicked out at the same time. Does that still give me only 50 coins (because the daily limit is 50)?

I'm level 34 by the way. The game not giving me a Raid Pass was a bug I think. Got my first one just now :)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Thank you for the elaborate answers. Seems like you know a lot about it. Any idea what raids get triggered by? And are they only during the day?

No clue, raids are seemingly random, and they definitely have allotted times. For instance, there have been around ~30 raids today on college campus alone, last night there were 0. So I'm gonna go with "yes they are only during the say" but I'm not 100% sure. It might also be because it's the weekend, so raids are going to go on all weekend, or simply that Niantic decided that today was the day to make raids 24/7.

And I thought a Raid Boss was always the highest of the defending Pokémon in a gym. But according to your answer Raid Bosses are random (beforehand picked) Pokémon that will spawn on top of gyms. So not one of the Pokémon that are actually defending the gym.

Raid Bosses are predetermined, and there's actually a very small amount right now. Here is a known list of bosses.

Of note is that screenshots on the site have advertised Raid Boss Blissey and Raid Boss Dragonite, so we will be getting those at one point in the future.

And about the coin matter. Let's say I've got 10 Pokémon that all have been in different gyms for 24 hours. And they get kicked out at the same time. Does that still give me only 50 coins (because the daily limit is 50)?

Yep, exactly that.

I'm level 34 by the way. The game not giving me a Raid Pass was a bug I think. Got my first one just now :)

breh

強いだね
Whenever it ends up happening - how do you even try for a raid boss blissey? That seems like a slow, painful, and incredibly difficult slog.

Granted, I did see a snorlax go down in a couple minutes today to 9 players so perhaps it's not that bad, but...

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
You probably need 15 players and a lot of Fighting types, but it's likely doable.

breh

強いだね
Concurrently level 23 but I have 2 gyms near me that I'm just guarding. I thought that raids can be done once lvl 31. Sorry but, phones are not comfey to use on this
level dropped to 25 at the current moment, so you're pretty close!

if anybody has glitches where you get kicked out of a raid no matter what, apparently setting your phone clock to automatically update to the network makes it work right. haven't had the opportunity to try it out irl (will tomorrow), but hope it helps someone.

I have to say I'm enjoying this new update a lot. Maybe it's also because I have some free time now, combined with the new update. There are still some things that are very vague to me, such as:

When I put a Pokémon in a gym, its CP decreases immediately by a bit and I have to feed it a berry. Why is this?

How exactly do gyms work now? Let's say a gym is neutral (no team owns it). Then can a team then just put in six(?) Pokémon without having to train up the gym? Because I've been looking, but it seems like training up gyms is no more.

What determines what level/tier the Raid Boss is going to be? Or is it also random?

For some reason I can't feed my Pokémon Golden Razz Berries. It keeps saying 'Error'. But when I try to feed them a regular Razz it says: "Steelix is tired of that berry!" What can I do?

And I just read you can also win TMs? Man, that's awesome! How does that work exactly?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've learned a few things about raids in the past few days.

1. I'll never waste it on just a magikarp again, as it's like facing a novice VGC player that never finished the game.
2. I'll never do a tier 3 or more alone, even with 2 vaporeons & a rhydon both maxed out with best moveset and IVs against a tier 3 arcanine my best was getting it into the red before timing out. I'm at level 36 by the way.

So choose your raids wisely as you'd normally get a raid pass once per day and I don't advise spending coins if you don't have to.

I have to say I'm enjoying this new update a lot. Maybe it's also because I have some free time now, combined with the new update. There are still some things that are very vague to me, such as:

When I put a Pokémon in a gym, its CP decreases immediately by a bit and I have to feed it a berry. Why is this?
Niantic trolling you into using up your berrys

How exactly do gyms work now? Let's say a gym is neutral (no team owns it). Then can a team then just put in six(?) Pokémon without having to train up the gym? Because I've been looking, but it seems like training up gyms is no more.
Training is no more, u can just throw a Pokémon anywhere u see a space, due to the motivation factor though ur team members may take all the spaces up but unless they feed berries to their poke everyday then their Pokemon will be returned and spaces will come up

What determines what level/tier the Raid Boss is going to be? Or is it also random?
Probably random

For some reason I can't feed my Pokémon Golden Razz Berries. It keeps saying 'Error'. But when I try to feed them a regular Razz it says: "Steelix is tired of that berry!" What can I do?
Your error message will be that uv maxed ur berries on that Pokemon for the day (the limit is 10 but ud have to Google the mechanics of that as I think it's 10 per gym rather then 10 for each poke)

And I just read you can also win TMs? Man, that's awesome! How does that work exactly?
Haven't used one my self but there's 2 types, 1 for each type of attack but all u get is a re-roll rather then choosing so if u have a hyper beam dragonite u can use a charge tm hoping for outrage but u could end up with hurricane
Answers above in bold

I managed to solo a tier 3 raid today (Machamp with Counter and Dynamic Punch). I'm level 33, but a few of the Pokemon I used weren't even maxed out. You do only want to attempt it though if you know you have a powerful team with a lot of type advantages. It killed five of my Pokemon and I had 13 seconds left on the clock. I used a Psycho Cut/Future Sight Alakazam, a Confusion/Dazzling Gleam Alakazam (these two inflicted insane amounts of damage but both fell rather quickly), a Gengar with Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball (a prime pick since it deals superb DPS and thanks to Ghost's immunity and Poison's resistance to Fighting the normally frail Gengar was actually really tanky), and three Dragonites (one with Dragon Tail/Outrage which was maxed out, one with Dragonbreath/Hurricane which was nearly maxed out, and one with Dragon Tail/Hurricane that was slightly over level 20). The Hurricane Dragonites dealt awesome damage while resisting Fighting. I probably would have had more issues if the Machamp had had Bullet Punch and/or Heavy Slam, but the good thing is you can scout the Raid boss' moveset and then adjust your team accordingly. I didn't bother wasting time attempting to dodge since the yellow flash doesn't show for raid bosses FSR. I can imagine Gengar and Alakazam to also be doable tier 3 raid bosse due to being even frailer than Machamp, but their damage output is scary. Arcanine will definitely be tough due to it's bulk though.

So yeah, if you see a tier 3 raid boss you can definitely beat it solo if you have a whole team with type advantages that resist the raid boss' moves.

Oh boy what a lucky 2 weeks did I have. With Graduation out of the way, I finally have my Eevee party harem with a really sweet Lapras to boot. I also had the chance to get a Raid Battle done solo amidst crappy Philippine Internet Data connection issues against a Croconaw but ... failed to catch it. Dangit! I want a Gatr!

Now, to be honest, I can easily see MANY of us just in this community alone love hoarding eevees for various "reasons" (SFW or NSFW reasons. Take your pick). But finally, I can have 4 out of the 5 Eeveelutions. Only Jolteon left. Then there comes My dilemma. Even I read a few guides briefly as to why this eeveelution is better versus the others, I still struggle to really choose one to use my 30 pieces of Eevee candy personally. One part of me says to just give "love" to Vaporeon yet I just can't resist not getting that really lavish Espeon. Both have to be female for me of course. Flareon could go either sex but I'm ok with Umbreon and Jolteon being guys or those three are battlers. Oh this is gonna give me a headache. What you will see on the pic are the eevees I nicknamed to the given nicknames courtesy of OM!. So far, the one with the best stat comes to the one from Sakura, 2nd comes from Rainer or from Pyro, Tamao is just the future gym defender of my nearby area.

Honestly, I remember dabbing the Hype of this App last year on Smogon's Twitter somewhere with the lines of "... I'd rather wait and see where it goes. I'm patient for it is still experimental. Turns out that I was right for waiting for this game to become even meaningful to play since I started during 2nd Generation. With the latest update, oh baby do I feel not left behind at least. But I still cannot help but be bothered as to how rare the common bug types of 1st gen have been.

I finally got my dragon into "wonder" moveset, breath and outrage. Although I wonder if Dragons are still that useful for attacking, particularly raids.
And still have one normal and special TM. I'll have to research my elite team's IV and decide my objectives....

Also a perfect lick and beam Snorlax. Oh well, I can't really use him for raids, which is my endgame. But it's still perfect....

And here with 5 outstanding high level Vaporeon. Only one of which is female....

I fixed my Machamp to have the best moveset, I use my dragons for raids both my 100% nites are over 3k.. waiting on a fast TM so I can get rid of steel wing on the Outrage one :D

breh

強いだね
A problem I've been contemplating - is it worth evolving a pupitar (mine is like 80% iirc) over just attempting to catch a ttar from raids? They're common enough here (I've seen two ttar raids so far over 4 days). As I approach the end of 100 candies (currently at 70-something), this question has been in the back of my mind for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)