Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Lillipup line learns Psychic Fangs as an egg move, but can't breed with the only Pokemon that learns it naturally (Bruxish) or the only other line that gets it as an egg move (Carvahna's). It's not completely screwed because Smeargle is a thing, but they really did not think that one out.
That's not the only oddity about that, the fact that Lillipup gets it is an oddity. Carvahna makes some sense, like Bruxish its a fish that's main way of attacking if biting (Mega Sharpedo getting the Ability Strong Jaw). But why does Lillipup get it? Like, okay, it also uses biting moves but so do many other Pokemon. It actually makes me wonder if it was a mistake and Yungoos was actually meant to get it as it also gets the Ability Strong Jaw.

But why does Lillipup get it? Like, okay, it also uses biting moves but so do many other Pokemon.
Because it's a dog, and dogs bite stuff, specially when they're still puppies—anyone who's had a dog should know this. 99% of all dog-like pokemon can learn some of the 'Fang' moves ( Fire, Thunder & Ice ), the Stoutland family just happens to be the only one without a elemental affinity (excluding Smeargle) and thus is probably capable of learning every "Fang" move there is ( which it does ).
Ok, there's Furfrou poking a hole in my theory, but lets just assume that a poodle isn't wild enough to learn any of the elemental fangs moves.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Because it's a dog, and dogs bite stuff, specially when they're still puppies—anyone who's had a dog should know this. 99% of all dog-like pokemon can learn some of the 'Fang' moves ( Fire, Thunder & Ice ), the Stoutland family just happens to be the only one without a elemental affinity (excluding Smeargle) and thus is probably capable of learning every "Fang" move there is ( which it does ).
Ok, there's Furfrou poking a hole in my theory, but lets just assume that a poodle isn't wild enough to learn any of the elemental fangs moves.
But as pointed out, only way Lillipup can learn it is from Smeargle. Smeargle is in the Field Egg Group so here is a batch of Pokemon in the Field Egg Group that use biting as a main way of attacking (that could potentially use it): Rattata family, Growlithe family, Poochyena family, Shinx family, Patrat family, Sandile family, Yungoos family, Rockruff family, Ekans family, Snubbull family, Mawile, Seviper, Bidoof family, Woobat family (STAB), & Girafarig (STAB).

But Smeargle is also a dog :< (it's a beagle)

as for Snubbull and Growlithe; Gamefreak hates Snubbull, it took until faries for it to not be completely outclassed by Teddiursa and they where kinda forced to change it's type due to Snubbull's species being the fairy pokemon

Growlithe not getting it now that's inexplicable

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I just thought of this: why doesn't Nidoqueen and Kangaskhan learn Milk Drink? They're both female exclusive and mammalian Pokemon. Nidoqueen has visible mammaries while Kangaskhan has a child in its pouch.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Miltank is a female cow, while the Skiddo line are goats. Both cows and goats are known for their milk. It's more about the milk for human consumption - hence cows and goats. We're not drinking kangaroo milk any time soon.
Though, with my logic, Ampharos or some sheep could get it. I can see that being just fine.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Miltank is a female cow, while the Skiddo line are goats. Both cows and goats are known for their milk. It's more about the milk for human consumption - hence cows and goats. We're not drinking kangaroo milk any time soon.
Though, with my logic, Ampharos or some sheep could get it. I can see that being just fine.
Ah, but the question here is who's consuming the milk? It's the Pokemon itself that's consuming the milk, not the trainer. Now while this does take Nidoqueen out the the equation, this does still mean Kangaskhan can learn it as it'll the the child drinking the mother's milk (as for why the mother would regain HP for its child drinking its milk, either their HP bar is meant to be a shared HP thing or the drinking of the milk activates hormones in the mother that creates a healing sensation so it can produce more milk).

And I also thought about that latter point. Maybe there can be a Milk Drink move tutor for female Ponyta family (horse), Mareep family (sheep), Girafarig (it's sort of like a llama), Shuckle (stretching, but the berry juice it creates is essentially like fruit milk), Stantler (reindeer), Numel family (camel), Blitzle family (zebra are horses), Whimsicott (goat), Deerling family (maybe not a reindeer but close enough, right?), Bouffalant (similar enough to a yak/water buffalo), & Mudbray family (horse, and donkey).

Also, with Nidoqeen at least, it raises certain questions that an E-rated game would rather not bother with.
But Milk Drink brings in its own implications:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Ah, but the question here is who's consuming the milk? It's the Pokemon itself that's consuming the milk, not the trainer. Now while this does take Nidoqueen out the the equation, this does still mean Kangaskhan can learn it as it'll the the child drinking the mother's milk (as for why the mother would regain HP for its child drinking its milk, either their HP bar is meant to be a shared HP thing or the drinking of the milk activates hormones in the mother that creates a healing sensation so it can produce more milk).

And I also thought about that latter point. Maybe there can be a Milk Drink move tutor for female Ponyta family (horse), Mareep family (sheep), Girafarig (it's sort of like a llama), Shuckle (stretching, but the berry juice it creates is essentially like fruit milk), Stantler (reindeer), Numel family (camel), Blitzle family (zebra are horses), Whimsicott (goat), Deerling family (maybe not a reindeer but close enough, right?), Bouffalant (similar enough to a yak/water buffalo), & Mudbray family (horse, and donkey).

It is faulty logic with only sticking to animals that give milk for human consumption, I will admit. However, this is because it's a kid's game, and kids aren't going to know that animals other than cows and goats (and maybe sheep, IMO Mareep could plausibly get it) give milk. Milk is associated with cows and goats (still think sheep as well, Mareep should get it), and thus it'll stay with them. If it WERE going to be scientifically accurate, tons and tons of mons would get it - Spheal's line, for example. Distributing a move associated with cows and goats to tons of things is going to confuse some people.
As for the image, I'm pretty certain people do that in some places. That's not really that inappropriate - it's a series that's attacked by parental groups for EVERYTHING but this wasn't targeted.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It is faulty logic with only sticking to animals that give milk for human consumption, I will admit. However, this is because it's a kid's game, and kids aren't going to know that animals other than cows and goats (and maybe sheep, IMO Mareep could plausibly get it) give milk. Milk is associated with cows and goats (still think sheep as well, Mareep should get it), and thus it'll stay with them. If it WERE going to be scientifically accurate, tons and tons of mons would get it - Spheal's line, for example. Distributing a move associated with cows and goats to tons of things is going to confuse some people.
As for the image, I'm pretty certain people do that in some places. That's not really that inappropriate - it's a series that's attacked by parental groups for EVERYTHING but this wasn't targeted.
The thing about that is there's already a few subtle move additions which initially don't make sense but when you do some research on the animal or myth the Pokemon is based on you come to realize the reason it gets the move. Heck, Pokemon themselves like that, there's a batch of Pokemon based on obscure animals and mythology but that doesn't stop GF from making a Pokemon out of them (they even purposely only do a handful of popular animals/mythical creatures partly so they can make Pokemon from obscure ones (and also marketing purposes, but I think the creative team is more focused on the former)). But not only is it to let the creative team have a little fun and keep the franchise fresh with ideas, it's also educational some way. I myself would have never learned about all the interesting animals or mythologies that exist. Would it be bad to teach kids that cows and goats aren't the only animals whose milk is consumed by humans?

Also, you may want to look at the thread you're saying this in. ;) Look through all the posts in this thread and you'll quickly discover that Pokemon get all sorts of moves that make no sense (even after doing some research). GF is not opposed to tossing a move onto a Pokemon with little reason other then their own though they forgot to tell us what that was.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
yeah honestly i think the low distribution of milk drink comes from the fact that it was once a signature move. this is also why snorlax does not get slack off, by the way (and why chandelure misses out on mystical fire). that doesn't explain it flavor wise, though.

new one: in xy, spinda could not learn sleep talk by tm. why??? this was fixed in oras so it was unintentional but i don't see why that would happen in the first place.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Not as bad as how Elgyem learned Silver Wing. That just showed that GF forgot about them. They must have also forgotten about Spinda too lol. Such forgettable mons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Steel Wing....because it was TM 51.
Which has to be the reason as the Elgyem family still learns TM 51 in Gen VII. If it was a mistake they would have changed it.

Aside, Elgyem family still gets Ally Switch via breeding... wait a second...

New Move Oddity: Okay, so here's the description for Ally Switch:
The user teleports using a strange power and switches its place with one of its allies.
... so apparently a fire horse (Ponyta), water crab (Krabby), prehistoric bird (Archen), and wrestler bird (Hawlucha) can use psychic powers to teleport themselves with an ally.

I always thought Elgyem/Beheeyem would always learn TM 51, whatever it was. Not sure if this is taken into account as the game designers are based in Japan, but Area 51 is a "secret zone" deep in the deserts of Nevada, long rumored to be home to evidence that aliens exist (covered up by the government). Elgyem and Beheeyem are based off aliens. Sure it may just be a coding error, but it's interesting to think about.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
AAAAHHHHH good explanation Cutefluffysheep!
Which has to be the reason as the Elgyem family still learns TM 51 in Gen VII. If it was a mistake they would have changed it.

Aside, Elgyem family still gets Ally Switch via breeding... wait a second...

New Move Oddity: Okay, so here's the description for Ally Switch:

... so apparently a fire horse (Ponyta), water crab (Krabby), prehistoric bird (Archen), and wrestler bird (Hawlucha) can use psychic powers to teleport themselves with an ally.
Remember Arcanine with teleport? lol fire types have psychic powers. Maybe it has to do with reading fire?

I always thought Elgyem/Beheeyem would always learn TM 51, whatever it was. Not sure if this is taken into account as the game designers are based in Japan, but Area 51 is a "secret zone" deep in the deserts of Nevada, long rumored to be home to evidence that aliens exist (covered up by the government). Elgyem and Beheeyem are based off aliens. Sure it may just be a coding error, but it's interesting to think about.
Game Freak being Japan-based has nothing to do with it. Elgyem and Beheeyem were introduced in a generation set in the United States.

Most likely an actual Area 51 reference, though the change to Steel Wing seems to be an oversight which now they are kind of forced to keep.

This is my like. There are many like it but this is mine.

I've yes to see this one and I thought it was fairly popular too. Dragonair can manipulate its Aura so WHY YOU NO AURA SPHERE!?! Totally not wondering because I want an Aura Sphere Dragonite or anything. >.>

I had a similar train of thought during the launch window of XY. Back when we lacked a comprehensive knowledge of movesets, I actually bred a milk drink Gogoat with a Camerupt since Camel Milk. Shame it didn't work :(

I guess this is also the best place to talk about this: I love finding quirks in Pokemon's movepools. Even today we have some weird movepool oddities that haven't been resolved yet. For example: Shuppet gained Gunk Shot as an egg move as early as Gen 5. However, despite appearing as a move tutor for two generations since then, it's never actually received Gunk Shot as a move tutor. This is the only issue where a move is available by tutor or tm but can only be learned by egg move since Gen 4. We use to have things like Energy Ball Vulpix and False Swipe Shroomish getting these moves solely by egg, but they were all cleaned up between Gen 4 and 5.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Game Freak being Japan-based has nothing to do with it. Elgyem and Beheeyem were introduced in a generation set in the United States.

Most likely an actual Area 51 reference, though the change to Steel Wing seems to be an oversight which now they are kind of forced to keep.
Yeah, Sableye is actually based off of the description of the Hopkinsville Goblins, an extra terrestrial encounter in KENTUCKY. The movement in 3D of waving its arms upside down is actually what the extraterrestrials moved like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly–Hopkinsville_encounter Even Wikipedia says sableye was based off of the goblins. It's interesting, really, even though I don't believe in the UFO BS.

I guess this is also the best place to talk about this: I love finding quirks in Pokemon's movepools. Even today we have some weird movepool oddities that haven't been resolved yet. For example: Shuppet gained Gunk Shot as an egg move as early as Gen 5. However, despite appearing as a move tutor for two generations since then, it's never actually received Gunk Shot as a move tutor. This is the only issue where a move is available by tutor or tm but can only be learned by egg move since Gen 4. We use to have things like Energy Ball Vulpix and False Swipe Shroomish getting these moves solely by egg, but they were all cleaned up between Gen 4 and 5.
Well, if we talk about strange movepool choices (in terms of already-available moves), let's talk about Sludge Wave on the Gastly line. It's a wide-distributed move, it's a TM, the Gastly line can learn the very similar Sludge Bomb... yet Sludge Wave is an event move.

Pretty much the Thunderbolt-Solosis line case, except there is already a way the Gastly line can get the move, but it's not through the TM.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I mean, I'm not certain why they don't learn Sludge Wave tbh. I guess that was an oversight. Also, Sludge Bomb has far, far more users than Sludge Wave. I mean, I don't really see Gastly using wave but likely because of the ball form, but idk.
I've never actually heard the Thunderbolt Solosis thing. I couldn't find anything online about it. What's that about?
Also, Mewtwo can't get Dark Pulse. Like, why? I'd say it's a rather dark mon (I never watched the anime but I've heard) and it's a Psychic. It ought to get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)