Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair, what I really want in, well, any Pokémon game, really, is retconning. Gen4 did that through evolutions and pre-evolutions of previous Pokémon, but as much as I like the idea, I'd really like for the story/lore to be linked to events that happened in other regions.
Game Freak likes to slide little details and side remarks that involve past iterations of the game, but I want something more solid, and I think USM, with the whole "alternate dimension" thing, could be the ideal setting to do so. In particular, it'd echo Zinnia's words in the Delta episode: there are two Hoenns, one that discovered Mega Evolution and one that didn't (which btw is a nice example of retconning). Maybe there could be two Alolas as well, and USM Alola would see Zinnia investigate the differences. Maybe the alterations compared to "vanilla" Alola could be explained by side effects of AZ's weapon. Or maybe in this Alola, the sea/the land gained much more territory than in SM Alola, reshaping the region for an unknown reason (which would actually be Primal Kyogre/Groudon's influence, which is much greater than regular Kyogre/Groudon's). Maybe the climate would suddenly became much colder, and oh surprise! Ghetis (and Kyurem) are actually hiding on one island.

Well, you get the point. I'd like the games to be connected to some extent, not as strongly as GSC with RBY, since they were direct sequels, but still acknowleding what happened elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon is basically Black 2 / White 2. I think Gamefreak is slowly starting to unveil a new pattern with their games. This is the timetable now (I'm leaving the OG red and green out of this, and just focusing on American releases for Gen 1)

Red - Blue >< Yellow
Gold - Silver >< Crystal
Ruby - Sapphire >< Fire Red - Leaf Green > Emerald
Diamond - Pearl - Platinum >< Heart Gold - Soul Silver
----------- (Here's where the pattern starts)
Black - White >< Black 2 - White 2 (Pattern 1)
X - Y >< Omega Ruby - Alpha Sapphire (Pattern 2)
Sun - Moon >< Ultra Sun - Ultra Moon (Pattern 1)
Generation 8 - Generation 8 (Confirmed for the Switch) >< Diamond Remake - Pearl Remake (Not confirmed, but pattern indicates it will be) (Pattern 2)

Now you're probably thinking "Oh, but they could have just started that pattern randomly, there's no way that was intentional." False, and the reason for that is because Game Freak stated that Generation 5 (Black - White) was a soft reboot of Generation 1, when this reboot occurred, the pattern changed from its established setting (two games, third game, two games, third game, two games, remake, third game, two games, third game, remake). More than likely after Generation 8 (and the associated Generation 4 remakes that will be probably be coming afterwords), they're going to shake up the pattern again. As it seems like every four generations now is a pattern shake.

The evidence for the Gen 4 remakes being on the switch is simple, new console new era, it fits the X - Y new console timetable with ORAS being on the 3DS (new console for the series at the time), Gen 8 on the switch with Gen 4 remakes following afterwords. Nintendo's madness is actually pretty predictable.

It's just a hypothesis, but there's plenty of evidence for it. It's also why I knew for sure that there wouldn't be 3DS Diamond / Pearl remakes.

There's actually...no evidence for what you're saying. "These two things happened so it's a pattern." Gen IV remakes seem very likely to come at that point, but everything in that post is just speculation.
Do you really not see the pattern with the soft reboot? (which is proof of a new pattern because of game freak's statement on gen 5 being a soft reboot)
Game ~ Sequel
Game ~ Remake
Game ~ Sequel
Game ~ Remake

We don't know if USUM even is a sequel to SM. For what is worth it could very well be a prequel, or an alternate timeline to the same adventure ( a la Platinum & Crystal ), there's just no way to tell at this point.

Last edited:
We don't know if USUM even is a sequel to SM. For is worth it could very well be a prequel, or an alternate timeline to the same adventure ( a la Platinum & Crystal ), there's just no way to tell at this point.
It may not be a canonical sequel like B2W2 were, but it's still pretty apparent that these are set to be considered sequels, and keep in mind in the original Sun / Moon we can travel to a different dimension post-game, so of course it's not gonna be a "insert years later" tried and true sequel, but it's definitely going to be a sequel. More evidence of this is due to Necrozma fusing with Solgaleo / Lunala. In the original timeline, Necrozma didn't appear until after the Ultra Beasts were defeated / captured.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I swear to god if Lillie doesn't make an appearance in this game I will literally kms
Duly noted. I'll make sure your profile is deactivated and turned into a memorial page.

I too find it strange that Game Freak has been so tight-lipped about these games. We know they exist and when they will be released, we know they take place in Alola (which has got at least some slight alterations), we know Solgaleo and Lunala get some kind of new forms that are also the box mascots, and... that's it? The games have only been teased, and there's apparently four months 'till release.

This actually worries me a little. We can presume that they would announce some new features with regularity if there were news to show. For instance, the regular reveal of new Pokémon prior to the releases of SM and XY. Conversely, the fact that they don't drop news might imply that they don't have anything exciting to show. If they had new Ultra Beasts or Alola Forms or Z-moves or anything, wouldn't they have shown us at least some of them by now? Again, there are only four months left. CoroCoros for July, August, September, and October, with 2-3 new creatures/forms/moves/characters/features/whatever usually revealed per issue. This leaves room for a dozen or two "things" to show us via the usual channel before the games hit the shelves (or rather, we may assume, before the demo version comes out). If the games don't have anything more than that, I'd be disappointed.

Or, maybe they're just holding back. If memory serves me correctly, there was some backlash when we found out that all the new Megas in ORAS had been revealed prior to the games' release. But still there should be plenty of characters, features, facilities, and other things to showcase. The next four months better be very eventful, or the games absolutely packed with surprises on launch day, otherwise they'll seem pretty underwhelming.

Conni

katharsis
Well she may be, but this is taking place in a different dimension, which means things may not be as you remember them...
It would be cool seeing the same characters you know and love undergo a change may it be in any aspect that corresponds with the change of the USM games compared to SM, although I'd love seeing old Lillie, a new one would be ok too

Also is it confirmed that USM is taking place in a different dimension or timeline because I've been reading previous posts and it seems like we're still unsure, or I just might be missing that part.

Conni

katharsis
We don't know that yet. We don't really know anything yet.
I hope we learn something soon from CoroCoro but we might have to wait for some months or so, even a little hint or information would suffice. But keeping our eyes peeled on CoroCoro should be a solid idea since that had worked before but we would ultimately have to wait which I hate because I am naturally impatient but I guess we can speculate the heck out of what we have so far

I hope we learn something soon from CoroCoro but we might have to wait for some months or so, even a little hint or information would suffice. But keeping our eyes peeled on CoroCoro should be a solid idea since that had worked before but we would ultimately have to wait which I hate because I am naturally impatient but I guess we can speculate the heck out of what we have so far
Rest assured, soon as any news breaks it'll be taking up 3 pages here in a matter of seconds. At least half of us have no life.

Conni

katharsis
Rest assured, soon as any news breaks it'll be taking up 3 pages here in a matter of seconds. At least half of us have no life.
You can always count on the inspiring enthusiasm of the smogon community to blare threads like these back to life as long as there's something worthy enough to discuss but yeah that will definitely happen haha

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also is it confirmed that USM is taking place in a different dimension or timeline because I've been reading previous posts and it seems like we're still unsure, or I just might be missing that part.
I jumped the gun a bit, all they said it was an alternate story in the Alola region...
Using the same characters... in a game where traveling to alternate dimensions is one of the focus...

How else are we suppose to take "alternate story" which involves the same (main) characters?
It could simply mean 'different story' -- ie it could easily be a sequel. That might seem like I'm being a bit obnoxious and pedantic but really, with Game Freak, it's sometimes very hard to tell with them what anything they say means.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How else are we suppose to take "alternate story" which involves the same (main) characters?
That it will be set in Alola, involve the same characters, and never acknowledge the existence of Sun and Moon at all, or give more than a sentence of explanation as to why these games are different. Same way Emerald differs from Ruby and Sapphire, or Platinum differs from Diamond and Pearl. The games occupy the same space and same timeframe, but nobody cares how or why.

It's Pokémon, not Zelda. As CodMod mentioned above, the timeline is inconsistent at best. Continuity never mattered in a children's monster collector that forces said cute little animals to fight each other.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It could simply mean 'different story' -- ie it could easily be a sequel. That might seem like I'm being a bit obnoxious and pedantic but really, with Game Freak, it's sometimes very hard to tell with them what anything they say means.
Well if its a sequel they're gonna have to have an interesting reason why the Champion no longer has their Pokemon.

That it will be set in Alola, involve the same characters, and never acknowledge the existence of Sun and Moon at all, or give more than a sentence of explanation as to why these games are different. Same way Emerald differs from Ruby and Sapphire, or Platinum differs from Diamond and Pearl. The games occupy the same space and same timeframe, but nobody cares how or why.
Yeah, it's an alternate dimension. Emerald is an alternate dimension to RE. Platinum is an alternate dimension to DP. Heck, every game is their own little different alternate dimension, telling their own spin of a certain span of time that happened in a region.

It's Pokémon, not Zelda. As CodMod mentioned above, the timeline is inconsistent at best. Continuity never mattered in a children's monster collector that forces said cute little animals to fight each other.
Eh, inconsistent only in how things happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)