Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's an alternate dimension. Emerald is an alternate dimension to RE. Platinum is an alternate dimension to DP. Heck, every game is their own little different alternate dimension, telling their own spin of a certain span of time that happened in a region.
Agreed. I think you're both right though: the "alternate dimension" explanation is something we have to come up with because consistency is just totally disregarded. You can think of it as different dimensions/timelines or just decide that the original version no longer exists once it's been replaced (this is what I prefer).

What if the Champion let their mom or Kukui hold on to their Pokémon to start a new journey? Pokémon Vega (an Arceusly ROM hack) pulled it of quite well.

Regarding the potential for Gen 8, it's nice to move on to a much bigger screen for the Switch RPG adventure, but the battery life on handheld mode could be a detriment. The huge TV is the one thing we know about the game, and it's quite useful for those who care about graphics and speed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Agreed. I think you're both right though: the "alternate dimension" explanation is something we have to come up with because consistency is just totally disregarded. You can think of it as different dimensions/timelines or just decide that the original version no longer exists once it's been replaced (this is what I prefer).
This also wouldn't be the first time the paired versions were pointed out to be parallel dimensions. Black & White had a NPC in Opelucid City who specifically asks you to see a Blitzle from the other game.

What if the Champion let their mom or Kukui hold on to their Pokémon to start a new journey? Pokémon Vega (an Arceusly ROM hack) pulled it of quite well.
Kukui: Hey cousin! The Gyms are finally open! Now Alola had a genuine Pokemon League challenge like Kanto.
Me: Cool, let me get my Pokemon and I'll try them out.
Kukui: Actually cousin, if you wouldn't mind could you pull a Rest and start out fresh?
Me: Huh? Why?
Kukui: The Gym Leaders are new and I want to test out how progression would be like for new trainers. I talked about this with Hala so he gave me a set of the Starters for you to pick another to train up.
Me: Oh, well, alright, though it's gonna be odd for the Champion to be starting from scratch.
Kukui: Actually, in the eyes of the grand Pokemon League comity... Alola still has no Champion.
Me: What.
Kukui: "They can't be a Champion unless they defeated all the Gym Leaders" they said. I tried to explain the Island Challenge was an equal challenge but they shut me out like they used Imprison. So you're going have to win back your title.
Me: ...
Kukui: Speechless with excitement, I see. Well then, pick your starter and Extreme Speed outta here!

Conni

katharsis
Well if its a sequel they're gonna have to have an interesting reason why the Champion no longer has their Pokemon.
Yeah that's a really good point for people who really want sequels (secretly me) because if you were Alola's first ever champion, why are you back clueless at your house? Like the only new thing you got is like a tank top and a marsh hat. But maybe GameFreak will pull of a typical sequel plot line and appears that's a totally different character that's coincidentally looks the same as the first champion. Although if this were to happen then there should be a second champion already since battling a doppelgänger of yourself isn't fun. Also maybe the new characters' parents rented the same house that the champion lived in??? Idek man, but knowing GameFreak is going to be totally uncalled for.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah that's a really good point for people who really want sequels (secretly me) because if you were Alola's first ever champion, why are you back clueless at your house? Like the only new thing you got is like a tank top and a marsh hat. But maybe GameFreak will pull of a typical sequel plot line and appears that's a totally different character that's coincidentally looks the same as the first champion. Although if this were to happen then there should be a second champion already since battling a doppelgänger of yourself isn't fun. Also maybe the new characters' parents rented the same house that the champion lived in??? Idek man, but knowing GameFreak is going to be totally uncalled for.
Honestly the best scenario would be the one I described above, Kukui having the Gyms opened and asking the player to start from scratch. Maybe include a Memory Link system at the very start of the game which you can link to your Sun or Moon version (sort of like what they did with Mass Effect/Dragon Age except not as major).

That all said, reading this reminded me of how other games took away a character's power-ups and I couldn't help but imagine them applying that to the player character to explain how the lost all their Pokemon:

Metroid Series: Oh no! The player was slammed so hard against a wall they lost all their Pokemon!
Me: Wait, what? Like I dropped their Poke Balls? Can't I go pick them up? And what about the Pokemon in my PC?
Metroid Series: Self-destruct sequence initiated.
Me: OH SHI-!

Kingdom Hearts 2: Hmm, looks like you've slept too long. You lost all the Pokemon you've acquired during your last journey.
Me: How does that make a lick of sense...

Mega Man Series: We've put the Pokemon you got in a Pokemon museum.
Me: Why would we do that? Can't I go get them? Also isn't that exactly what Lusamine was doing, how is this not hypocritical?

God of War Series: And so the Champion was defeated and sent to Giratina, where their Pokemon were ripped right off of them.
Me: ... I can guarantee you that didn't happen...

Conni

katharsis
Honestly the best scenario would be the one I described above, Kukui having the Gyms opened and asking the player to start from scratch. Maybe include a Memory Link system at the very start of the game which you can link to your Sun or Moon version (sort of like what they did with Mass Effect/Dragon Age except not as major).

That all said, reading this reminded me of how other games took away a character's power-ups and I couldn't help but imagine them applying that to the player character to explain how the lost all their Pokemon:

Metroid Series: Oh no! The player was slammed so hard against a wall they lost all their Pokemon!
Me: Wait, what? Like I dropped their Poke Balls? Can't I go pick them up? And what about the Pokemon in my PC?
Metroid Series: Self-destruct sequence initiated.
Me: OH SHI-!

Kingdom Hearts 2: Hmm, looks like you've slept too long. You lost all the Pokemon you've acquired during your last journey.

Mega Man Series: We've put the Pokemon you got in a Pokemon museum.
Me: Why would we do that? Can't I go get them? Also isn't that exactly what Lusamine was doing, how is this not hypocritical?

God of War Series: And so the Champion was defeated and sent to Giratina, where their Pokemon were ripped right off of them.
Me: ... I can guarantee you that didn't happen...
Self Destructing Pokeballs??? That is dark... I can just hear the screams of Pokémon trying to scramble of a metal ball but then they give up because they realize they are red dissolved mass and the screaming ceases because they accepted their fate. Yeah I would never want self destructing pokeballs because Arceus would kick the shit out of who ever made it with his long majestic white horse legs.

But if we're taking about Pokémon you previously owned and then not being able to be used anymore, then I think something sensible for this is that the Pokémon could be retired. Like we've seen several instances of old Pokémon in the anime so maybe it can be incorporated as, hey, this Pokémon is old man, it's retired from battling and will now be a good old friend that can help you around the house etc. Or Pokémon that are inducted in the hall of fame stay there in their poke balls nex to a picture of their owner as champion or something so that future champions can see the pokeballs that contain the Pokémon used by previous champions and maybe they can be still used until the champion loses their reign and due to customs they must forfeit their Pokémon to the hall of fame and retire as a trainer or become a veteran. Idk but this sounds much more sensible in this context, what do you think Pikachu315111?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But if we're taking about Pokémon you previously owned and then not being able to be used anymore, then I think something sensible for this is that the Pokémon could be retired. Like we've seen several instances of old Pokémon in the anime so maybe it can be incorporated as, hey, this Pokémon is old man, it's retired from battling and will now be a good old friend that can help you around the house etc. Or Pokémon that are inducted in the hall of fame stay there in their poke balls nex to a picture of their owner as champion or something so that future champions can see the pokeballs that contain the Pokémon used by previous champions and maybe they can be still used until the champion loses their reign and due to customs they must forfeit their Pokémon to the hall of fame and retire as a trainer or become a veteran. Idk but this sounds much more sensible in this context, what do you think Pikachu315111?
I was just joking. I don't think they would do a "retire/send out to stud" route, because how would they explain than you post game sending those Pokemon over from Sun & Moon? No matter the explanation is going to be contrived, which is why they're not going to do a direct sequel. Your best bet at this point for a "sequel" is if Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon has the player character moving to Alola later than they did in Sun & Moon, thus Alola has progressed further than it did in Sun & Moon (at least in terms of Kukui's goal of making a Pokemon League).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure the actual reason for this one was the memory scrambling.

At least it's better than what happens later.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prolouge: You fucked up so bad last time that the villain stole your abilities Pokémon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pretty sure the actual reason for this one was the memory scrambling.

At least it's better than what happens later.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prolouge: You fucked up so bad last time that the villain stole your abilities Pokémon.
Also you're not a true Champion even though it's not your fault the villains led you astray. We're making Gladion the Champion.

The best idea I can make is simply making a much more modernized version ofAlola that had been colonized by Unova a few years ago where many Alolan cultures had been wiped out or modernized to make it more Unovian. Colonialism at it's finest when Island Trials are gone and replaced with different gyms and protagonists. Maybe the trial captains of the past game end up fighting against the modern system of gym battles.

Otherwise, please go with a Black and White 2 approach.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To me, all versions (or all copies of the games, even) exist in their own vacuum. The vacuums might look a lot like each other, but they are not connected in any way, shape or form. Trading, battling and other means of cartrige-to-cartridge interaction is just gameplay and story segregation. Any traded Pokémon come to your version from an undefined "elsewhere".

So I missed some of the speculation of what "new Pokémon" implies, but I have some ideas for new Alola forms that I think are reasonable to expect from these games.

Vileplume
Fairy / Poison
Healer / Merciless
HA: Corrosion

Vileplume were originally imported to Alola as exotic plants, where they bloomed in breathtaking fashion due to the strong sunlight. Unfortunately, this made the shy Pokémon a target for collectors and predators alike, driving them nearly to the point of extinction. Over time, they became exclusively nocturnal, producing flowers that were less impressive but capable of generating a powerful toxin. These Pokémon live deep in the jungle, mercilessly attacking others they perceive to be bullies. However, they show the utmost kindness to hurt or wounded Pokémon.

Bellossom
Grass / Fire
Chlorophyll / Solar Power
HA: Dancer

Unlike its cousin, Bellossom became a region mascot due to its beatific dances, and was the species was thus placed under protected status. Under the favorable climate, these Pokémon gained the Fire-type, making them capable of putting on dazzling and graceful shows for those lucky enough to see them. They are often present alongside Alolan Marowak in ceremonies and festivals honoring Alola's rich history.

Donphan
Ground / Electric
Sturdy / Galvanize
HA: Sheer Force

These tough Pokémon are perfectly suited to the rocky slopes of Alola's volcanoes, where they draw power from lightning storms that start during eruptions. When they curl into a ball and roll around, they generate sparks that communicate with other members of the herd miles away. Alolan Donphan are extremely powerful and should be approached with caution.

Magcargo
Fire / Steel
Solid Rock / Flame Body
HA: Steelworker

Tempered by volcanic gases and constant magma flows, Alolan Magcargo have sturdier shells than their regular counterparts. These lazy Pokémon can often be seen using their flame to heat and melt rocks to gain access to the precious metals inside. They then eat these metals to fortify their shells further.

Luxray
Electric / Dark
Strong Jaw / Intimidate
HA: Stakeout

When Yungoos failed to control the Rattata population, Luxray were imported as a second attempt. These Pokémon are skilled hunters, working in groups to hunt down their prey at night. The flashes of light their electricity produces are useful not only for communicating with other members of the pride, but also to blind and stun their prey to make them easier to catch.

I was looking through the list of Johto Pokémon that could potentially qualify, but it's such a limited pool and it's made even smaller by Pokémon that already have Megas or are already iconic. Here's hoping this months Coro Coro clarifies what they meant exactly by new Pokémon.[/hide][/hide]

damn that onion fairy

But seriously, I guess that's something? We didn't even get confirmation on whether or not those forms belong to Necrozma despite it being obvious!

And yet this is still all we have about 4.5 months out from release date. A steel book. Granted they look flashy but still.

I know I need to stop beating this dead horse but seriously, who is the PR guy on this project? Is Gamefreak that confident the game will sell based on solely on name-brand recogni-oh wait yeah it will.

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Yeah, I'm not exactly certain as to what that's hinting at. It seems to be a combination of the mythology (Arceus) and an alien theme. I don't even know what this is about. Could someone translate this and then maybe there's something to be found out?

EDIT: Thanks to the immediate diligence of Reddit, I've found out:
Pokémon Mystery file - The secret world of Pokémon

Time slip? Manipulating Time? They come from the Moon? Spacevirus? Meeting an alien? UFO sighting? Alien invasion? The secret side of our world? The secret of the ancient ruins Attack from an another world? Possessing humans?
They're hinting at something. Perhaps like how they remade part of the anime with a movie, they're going to do something similar with Unown? I don't really care for a UFO-themed USUM nor a johto remake.

Bit more info on that steelbook, just in case anyone cares. I know you don't, but hey, humour me here.

"Following the reveal for North America yesterday, Europe's special editions have been announced. Each game will have its own unique Steelbook in the special Fan Edition, but an Ultra Dual Edition will also be released which contains a different Steelbook as well as both games and 2 codes for 50 Potions each. No price has been given"
~Serebii

[/url]

Bit more info on that steelbook, just in case anyone cares. I know you don't, but hey, humour me here.

"Following the reveal for North America yesterday, Europe's special editions have been announced. Each game will have its own unique Steelbook in the special Fan Edition, but an Ultra Dual Edition will also be released which contains a different Steelbook as well as both games and 2 codes for 50 Potions each. No price has been given"
~Serebii

[/url]
I was interested in this until I saw it included both games. Unless you have a sibling or a friend that also plays Pokemon it isn't really worth it.

I will just buy the regular version... (still waiting to know anything about exclusives to decide)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)