Pokemon Gold and Silver 3DS Virtual Console: Back to the Future 2(000)!

Currently have 2 badges and Quilava/Bellsprout/Flaaffy as my team. Planning on using Vaporeon, Tauros, and Dragonite as my final three members.

Anyone know how to view the map? I'm sure I'm just dumb but I can't find it anywhere.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Did you get the map card from the old man at the eastern entrance who gives you that tutorial tour when you talk to him in cherrygrove city? If so then it's just open the pokegear.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Chikorita holds its own vs the many ingame trainers. Where it doesn't do as well is in major battles (it does fine vs Whitney and Chuck in the main story but that's about it). I concede that it's the least of the starters but it's not useless.
The game is filled with Posion-types due to Team Rocket, so Chikorita's performance against normal trainer is actually pretty shoddy.

Last edited:
The game is filled with Posion-types due to Team Rocket, so Chikorita's performance against normal trainer is actually pretty shoddy.
In theory, yes, against Rockets. However, the Poisons in this game aren't particularly strong enough to do serious damage to the Chikorita line. And Headbutt (later Body Slam) deal with most Poisons save the Koffing line (the Rocket Executive who's impersonating the Radio Tower Director being a prime example of a bad MU)

Is there any way to max out DV's in Gold and Silver? In RBY the arbitrary code execution works like a charm and basically all of the Kanto Pokémon can be maxed even when caught in G/S by trading them to RBY and then back, but is there any way to max out the Johto Pokémon?

Arbitrary code execution (through the NA Coin Case glitch) literally means you can do anything the [emulated] hardware is capable of. So there certainly is, and all it takes is someone with enough knowledge to write the right assembly code.

Been playing since Friday and got to Kanto today (team's been Typhlosion/Ampharos/Quagsire/Espeon/Miltank/Golduck). Some disjointed notes on my journey:
  • Had Quilava up to 15 by the time I caught Wooper (thanks to the clock-changing code) and Mareep, but they had both caught up by the time I beat Bugsy and I was still decently ahead of the level curve (though that's not saying much for this game).
  • Whitney's Miltank wasn't awful with the strategy I had in mind: I used Flaaffy to Thunder Wave it, lowered its Attack to the minimum with Growl, then used Wooper's Mud-Slap to lower its accuracy. It worked for the most part: she got off Attract followed by a crit Stomp on Wooper but fortunately Quilava was there to flinch-hax it to death.
  • Miltank and Eevee didn't see a lot of use against Morty, Chuck, or Jasmine due to their typing. However, Miltank was a speedy tank who came through with clutch Stomp flinches and Eevee was a good neutral attacker with Headbutt. As an Espeon it put in a ton of work against the League even with just Psybeam and Bite.
  • I did something different and went east from Ecruteak after doing the Lighthouse. This worked out for the better, I think, because there were more Trainers to get EXP from before attempting Chuck.
  • I went into the League with everyone at level 40. Will, Koga's Crobat, and Karen's Umbreon loved to spam Confuse Ray which almost caused me problems, and Lance's tendency to use Hyper Beam cost me 2/3rds of my team but it let me revenge-kill almost everything other than Gyarados.
  • Kanto's levels have been more "up to par" (again, not saying much), and I've been keeping everyone around the same level. I've beaten Surge, Erika, and Janine so far and just got to Lavender Town. Likely gonna head up to Cerulean to get the Power Plant back up and running so I can get the rest of the Badges out of the way. There's a few Pokemon I'd like to try raising up but they weren't available until late-game so might as well.
Probably a sloppy post but I'll either edit this or post again later.

Just beat the second rival in Silver.
I was going to choose Cyndaquil, but I wanted to send a Sheer Force Feraligatr so I double dipped.
I'm not really sure where my team is headed at this point. These move pools are killing me! Right now it's Totodile/Flaaffy/Pidgey/Geodude/Togepi/Paras

Flaaffy I've never used before so it'll probably stay. Pidgey i have ATTMPTED to use several times but never have...will this time finally be pidgeot?! Geodude is temporary. I have another 3DS but I dont feel like buying one of hte other games just to get a Golem. This also rules out the other trade evos

Togepi is just here because it hatched and I don't have a 6th pokemon planned; spoiler it won't be Togepi. Not in this generation, yeesh.
Paras I'm just leveling for kicks. I am not putting up with this thing's move pool, but I don't have any other interesting prospects. The oddish family will either not evolve into Kanto, be stuck with no moves, or be a gloom for 10 years as I try to find a good move for it. Bellsprout line I've already used.

I'll probably try to grab Heracross since I didn't realize you could grab it so soon; it also has movepool problems but at least it has a high attack stat and, like, attacks. Beyond that who knows. I always try to use different pokemon every time I play a game (starter not withstanding, mostly) so I have, uh, run through a bunch of pokemon.

Seriously would it have killed them to be a little generous with movesets?! Just a little, it's all I ask!

Is there any way to max out DV's in Gold and Silver? In RBY the arbitrary code execution works like a charm and basically all of the Kanto Pokémon can be maxed even when caught in G/S by trading them to RBY and then back, but is there any way to max out the Johto Pokémon?
So far I've found the codes for perfect DVs while also boosting to level 98 + maxed stat exp (which answers my own question from a few days ago), and change DVs to shiny DVs, which could be modified to perfect DVs by altering a few letters (but I don't know how to do it).

I'm sure that someone has written a code for simply maxing DVs and nothing else, but I just haven't found it yet.

So far I've found the codes for perfect DVs while also boosting to level 98 + maxed stat exp (which answers my own question from a few days ago), and change DVs to shiny DVs, which could be modified to perfect DVs by altering a few letters (but I don't know how to do it).

I'm sure that someone has written a code for simply maxing DVs and nothing else, but I just haven't found it yet.
Thanks. The first code would be awesome if it didn't level them up to 98. I would prefer a code that simply maxes out the DV's.

I have tried my mad scientist experiment: I managed to trade a Ho-Oh from Pokemon Blue to Silver! Here's some photo proof:

So the jist of what I did was: I used 8f to catch a Missingno. with the same index number as Ho-Oh in GSC. Then I used 8f to change the Missingno.'s typing to Fire / Flying (otherwise Pokemon Silver would reject it). I even used 8f to give it the glitch move equivalent of Sacred Fire (TM21) and to make it shiny!

It worked perfectly. I tried to do the same with Lugia, but since Lugia's Missingno. constantly changes types, Silver rejected it. Still, I got Ho-Oh over, and I taught my old 18 year old Porygon and Scyther from Yellow (another long story, the Yellow on my VC is my original save from when I was a child) Curse via 8f as well!

So yeah, you can break the hell out of gen 2 with the time capsule lol. Funnily enough, my Ho-Oh was holding a Carbos, likely based off of Missingno.s catch rate.

Here's the beauty right here!

Hello, I saw your post earlier today and wanted to try this out for myself to get the silver-exclusives on to my Gold version. Since I have not been into 8F before right now, I found some articles online on how to change Pokémon types but not on how to modify moves. Especially for Ho-Oh, Curse-Scizor and Extreme Speed Dratini this would be pretty interesting for me. Could you give me more Details on how to do these steps?

Edit: I don’t know if it is relevant or not, I am using a German Blue and Gold Version (Both physical and via Virtual Console)

Edit 2: is it possible to get a Celebi via this Method?

You can, however, get some glitched moves in RBY by trading up a level 31 Kadabra, 34/43/52 Machoke, 34 Graveler, or 48 Haunter, then trading it back down. Those trade evolutions still work on both sides, and at those particular levels they'll try to learn a move post-evolution that was introduced in GSC. The Time Capsule blocks you from entering with such moves in the first place, but by obtaining them this way, you can successfully "smuggle" the moves in and have them become something else upon trading back down. Most of them are pretty useless, but the move in Rollout's slot that you get by sending Graveler up from R/B results in something that works like modern-day Minimize (twice as good as what Minimize normally did back then--in fact, evasion ran on a different formula back then, so while it's officially 2 evasion stages, it actually has the same effect on accuracy that 3 stages would have in the current games).

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright Smogon, this is a follow-up post to my post from page 1
I encountered this shiny Ho-Oh after soft-resetting roughly 4000 times over the last 5 days.
As promised, I will dedicate this Ho-Oh to the community by hosting a big Giveaway once transferring it is possible.
I hope you guys and girls are looking forward to it!

[#250 - Max. Optimizer's ❝Fenikkusu❞]
❝the Great Friend❞
Credits for the nickname go to Winters Zombie - Art © Inkblot (2018) ❝Fenikkusu❞

OT: Chris\64053 (Gold) ‹

IVs: 31/HT(30)/31/7/31/HT(23) - Adamant\Regenerator (⚲)
Ut: Sacred Fire, Detect, Curse, Defog
EV'd: Sacred Fire, Brave Bird, Recover, Curse
[104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe]

I caught this Pokémon with a Master Ball at the peak of the Tin Tower on my Pokémon Gold version for the Virtual Console.
Since ball types are not retained in Generation 1 and 2 games, its ball became a regular Pokéball after transferring it to Generation 7 via Poké Transport.
The Ho-Oh from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver is also the only legal Ho-Oh that has access to the moves Curse and Detect (TM03 and TM43 in Pokémon Gold and Silver).
This Pokémon was soft-reset manually: this means that no tools (such as e.g. PKMN-NTR bots or Lua scripts) or glitches were involved in the hunt for this Pokémon.
I started soft-resetting on the 22nd of September 2017 and I finally encountered the shiny Ho-Oh on the 26th of September 2017 at 8:01 p.m after soft-resetting for 5 days.
The odds of encountering a shiny Pokémon are 1/8192 in Generation 2 games.
This was the first manually soft-reset shiny Ho-Oh from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver on Smogon.
I referred to this ❝Exp. Points ↔ Nature❞ table (courtesy of TheMantyke) to assure an Adamant nature for it.
On the 17th of January 2018 I figured that this Pokémon was still capable of improvement and I decided to re-train a UT copy of the Pokémon in question.
The reason behind this decision is that wanted to have a version with Curse.
I finished the Alola Ribbon Master™ for this version on the 17th of January 2018.

Fenikkusu is the rōmaji transcription of フェニックス (Phoenix).
Credits for the nickname go to Winters Zombie.

If you wish to see proof in the form of screenshots, please click on the following links:
_________________________________________​

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright Smogon, this is a follow-up post to my post from page 1
I encountered this shiny Ho-Oh after soft-resetting roughly 4000 times over the last 5 days.
As promised, I will dedicate this Ho-Oh to the community by hosting a big Giveaway once transferring it is possible.
I hope you guys and girls are looking forward to it!

{#250 - Max. Optimizer's Fenikkusu}

IVs: ?/?/?/?/?/? - Adamant\Regenerator (Ø) - Chris\64053 ‹

Ev'd: Brave Bird, Sacred Fire, Earthquake, Recover
[248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 26 Spe]
I caught this Pokémon with a Master Ball at the peak of the Tin Tower on my Pokémon Gold version for the Virtual Console.
Since ball types are not retained in Generation 1 and 2 games, its ball became a regular Pokéball after transferring it to Generation 7 via Poké Transport.
The Ho-Oh from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver, released on the 22nd of September 2017, is the only legal Ho-Oh that can simultaneously be shiny and have its Hidden Ability.
This Pokémon was soft-resetted manually: this means that no tools (such as e.g. PKMN-NTR bots or Lua scripts) or glitches were involved in the hunt for this Pokémon.
The odds of encountering a shiny Pokémon are 1/8192 in Generation 2 games.
I started soft-resetting on the 22nd of September 2017 and I finally encountered the shiny Ho-Oh on the 26th of September 2017 after soft-resetting for 5 days.
I referred to this "Exp. Points ↔ Nature" table (courtesy of TheMantyke) to assure an Adamant nature for it.

Fenikkusu is the rōmaji transcription of フェニックス (Phoenix).

If you wish to see proof in the form of screenshots, please click on the following links:
Weird as it sounds, I wonder if you should change the moveset a bit to include Curse and Detect (both GS exclusive moves for Ho-Oh). Reason for that is: Curse maaaay be viable in Ubers, and Detect may be better in certain doubles formats that could allow Ho-Oh in the future (even if VGC doesn't allow Ubers again, Gamefreak often does tournaments of those types for online competitions anyways).

GS really needed more differentiation between high encounter & low encounter trees. Would it have killed them to make low encounter spearows like level 11 or something because i have no idea if RNG is having the tree im hitting be one or the other & Spearow is so common in both you won't really know until you happen upon a heracross

I found this video pretty useful for finding Heracross, took me less than 30 min to find it using those instructions
This actually did help since it gave a nice route full of trees and a suggest when to stop headbutting, thank you
Found my heracross tree on the first one near violet even

e: Heracross has a chance to flee!
Super! And also did you know like all of Kurt's pokeballs are glitched so Fast Ball only works on magnemite, grimer & tangel

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the Mystery Gift function. I talked to the girl in the Goldenrod Department Store, and Mystery Gift shows up under Option when you start the game up. But when I click on Mystery Gift, I immediately get a message that the link has been cancelled. It is only doing this for one of my games. The message to link up shows up on the other one.

I do have two 3DSes, so that isn't the issue. I can't seem to find a solution to this anywhere.

Struggling to find any info on this online: Is it possible to change the in game date and time at all (other than DST)?

Following Max. Optimizer's suit after a little more than 3000 soft-resets I got the much awaited Shiny Lugia. Overall it took around 3 days and a half of trying.

Being my favorite pokemon, I have all sorts of set and natures for it so I will go for its small niche(offensive build) :

Lugia(Flynium-Z)
Ability : Multiscale
EVs : 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature

Calm Mind
Aeroblast
Ice Beam
Roost/Psychic/Earth Power

As of now it is the crown jewel of my modest collection :)

22117781_10213502508812109_831001783_o.jpg 22050666_10213502622854960_1926879258_o.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)