Pokemon Gold and Silver 3DS Virtual Console: Back to the Future 2(000)!

Congratz mate and welcome to the club :)
To be honest I didn't find it that challenging in the sense that is a process that can be done like for example while watching TV or something so it goes by fast. First time also with these kind of odds(1/8192 approx) but turned out all right :)
It is made even less "challenging" (not sure if I would even consider an rng fight challenging) when you consider you don't have to worry about nature or ivs even. But anyhow grats to all who has gotten it so far ^^

My lord Heracross and Pineco are annoying to find. I've been working on catching everything I can in Gold without trading and these 2 are most definitely the most troublesome. I was headbutting a tree on Route 33 for three hours and still couldn't get a Heracross to show up. The tree was producing less encounters than the only other one on the route, so I assumed it was the correct one.

I won't be able to get all the stone evolutions without trading either thanks to there only being 1 stone of Leaf, Thunder, Fire and Water in the games. Leveling up isn't a problem thanks to the clone glitch and rare candies.
Just clone the evo stones like you're going to do to the rare candies.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright Smogon! I welcome the opportunity to proudly announce that I managed to get the shiny Lugia as well and I thought to myself: Why not just give away both?
Once the transfer is possible I'll not only give away my Ho-OH, but also my Lugia. Stay tuned!

[#249 - Max. Optimizer's ❝Tsunami❞]
❝the Great Friend❞
Art © Inkblot (2018) ❝Tsunami❞

OT: Chris\64053 (Gold) ‹

IVs: HT(13)/31/31/HT(23)/31/HT(11) - Bold\Multiscale (⚲)
Ut: Aeroblast, Hydro Pump, Rain Dance, Defog
EV'd: Substitute, Toxic, Whirlwind, Roost
[248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe]

I caught this Pokémon with an Ultra Ball in the depths of the Whirl Islands on my Pokémon Gold version for the Virtual Console.
Since ball types are not retained in Generation 1 and 2 games, its ball became a regular Pokéball after transferring it to Generation 7 via Poké Transport.
This Pokémon was soft-reset manually: this means that no tools (such as e.g. PKMN-NTR bots or Lua scripts) or glitches were involved in the hunt for this Pokémon.
I started soft-resetting on the 3rd of October 2017 and I finally encountered the shiny Lugia on the 4th of October 2017 at 1:14 a.m after soft-resetting for only 1 day.
The odds of encountering a shiny Pokémon are 1/8192 in Generation 2 games.
I referred to this ❝Exp. Points ↔ Nature❞ table (courtesy of TheMantyke) to assure a Bold nature for it.
I finished the Alola Ribbon Master™ on the 21st of November 2017.

A tsunami (from Japanese: 津波, ❝harbor wave❞; English pronunciation: /tsuːˈnɑːmi/ tsoo-NAH-mee) or tidal wave, also known as a seismic sea wave, is a series of waves in a water body caused by the displacement of a large volume of water, generally in an ocean or a large lake. Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other underwater explosions (including detonations of underwater nuclear devices), landslides, glacier calvings, meteorite impacts, and other disturbances above or below water all have the potential to generate a tsunami.

If you wish to see proof in the form of screenshots, please click on the following links:
_________________________________________​

Last edited:
Alright Smogon! I welcome the opportunity to proudly announce that I managed to get the shiny Lugia as well and I thought to myself: Why not just give away both?
Once the transfer is possible I'll not only give away my Ho-OH, but also my Lugia. Stay tuned!

{#249 - Max. Optimizer's Tsunami}

IVs: ?/?/?/?/?/? - Bold\Multiscale (Ø) - Chris\64053 ‹

Ev'd: Substitute, Toxic, Whirlwind, Roost
[248 HP / 168 Def / 94 Spe]
I caught this Pokémon with an Ultra Ball in the depths of the Whirl Islands on my Pokémon Gold version for the Virtual Console.
Since ball types are not retained in Generation 1 and 2 games, its ball became a regular Pokéball after transferring it to Generation 7 via Poké Transport.
The Lugia from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver is the only legal Lugia that can simultaneously be shiny and have its Hidden Ability.
This Pokémon was soft-resetted manually: this means that no tools (such as e.g. PKMN-NTR bots or Lua scripts) or glitches were involved in the hunt for this Pokémon.
I started soft-resetting on the 3rd of October 2017 and I finally encountered the shiny Lugia on the 4th of October 2017 after soft-resetting for only 1 day.
The odds of encountering a shiny Pokémon are 1/8192 in Generation 2 games.
I referred to this "Exp. Points ↔ Nature" table (courtesy of TheMantyke) to assure a Bold nature for it.

A tsunami (from Japanese: 津波, "harbour wave"; English pronunciation: /tsuːˈnɑːmi/ tsoo-NAH-mee) or tidal wave, also known as a seismic sea wave, is a series of waves in a water body caused by the displacement of a large volume of water, generally in an ocean or a large lake. Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and other underwater explosions (including detonations of underwater nuclear devices), landslides, glacier calvings, meteorite impacts and other disturbances above or below water all have the potential to generate a tsunami.

If you wish to see proof in the form of screenshots, please click on the following links:
Very nice catch there. Also, that must have been stressful to catch it in an Ultra Ball.... I just cloned my Master Ball to catch my Ho-Oh. Since I didn't want to risk KOing it, being KOed, or it Struggling itself to be KOed....

Because differently from most, it's a legitimately obtained one, so people who actually for purity or personal pride only collect nonhacked pokemon would love it.

Saying "why it has any value, might as well copy it somewhere else" is basically same as saying "I can also just gen a identical one via PkHex why would I bother with yours".

Unsurprisingly, some people value legitimate shinys. (Me included)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
For those of you who are having problems with finding Pineco and Heracross, use this nice app I found on NeoGAF

http://37.97.147.73/Headbutt Grid.htm

(Wish I remembered the name of the user who made it, I'll edit that in if I find it or someone reminds me!)
Could have done with this about a week ago... I am even going to put it into the OP cause the tree mechanics are utter bullshit this gen.

Since when does Pokemon from an English G/S have any value? I could easily copy that Lugia thanks to the coin case glitch. Only other languages have value, not an English one...
All language versions and Crystal have ACE through a much more complicated glitch (bad clone/Celebi glitch extension to hold a key item -> get duplicate key items in the Key Items pocket -> swap them for item corruption -> Key Items pocket underflow -> other pockets underflow -> glitch item into ACE).

Last edited:
Because differently from most, it's a legitimately obtained one, so people who actually for purity or personal pride only collect nonhacked pokemon would love it.

Saying "why it has any value, might as well copy it somewhere else" is basically same as saying "I can also just gen a identical one via PkHex why would I bother with yours".

Unsurprisingly, some people value legitimate shinys. (Me included)
No, no it isn't the same at all. Since when are ingame glitches equivalent to 3rd party hacks to a game? That doesn't make any sense at all, heck you can even clone easily in the Gen you caught the Pokemon ingame. How would you even proof that it's legit? (And I don't mean the screenshots here, you can replicate ID etc too.). For example with your analogy missingno. is equivalent to a cheating device...

Zowayix Uh...how can you get a bad clone without Pkmn Stadium 2? Is there a guide? I need Celebi for Dex Completion

Zowayix Uh...how can you get a bad clone without Pkmn Stadium 2? Is there a guide? I need Celebi for Dex Completion
It requires making a box(es) really full so that the game lags for at least one frame during saving. The system must be hard reset during that one frame. The fuller the box, the wider the timing window can be, but also the longer it takes to re-set up everything on a miss (early or late reset).

G/S:

C:

The bad clone glitch itself should work the same way in all language versions. Any ACE setups afterward might be significantly different.

Hm... so, I've been reflecting on my Shiny Ho-Oh for a bit.

Is there any possible G/S exclusive moves it might need before being transfered? I realize the chance of this is VERY low. Since I doubt Curse holds up well in the current Uber meta game. But, I figured it would be worth asking. JUST to be on the safe side.

And on a side note.... How should I build it? Adamant Nature? Or Impish? I'm not exactly sure what my new Ubers team will be. But, I want to have this Ho-Oh be the center of it. Since this Ho-Oh is pretty special to me now.

Question. Let's say I use the cloning glitch like how to get the starters. If I saved in front of ho oh, caught it, put it in the pc, timed it right when changing boxes, will I be able to get multiple ho oh with different IDs?

Depends on your definition of clone. They won't be identical (their DVs will be different), but their TIDs and OTs will.

I'm trying to find the legendary dogs and so far I have entei and Raikou (and I accidently ran from a shiny tauros). I'm wondering does suicune have a preferred route compared to entei Raikou?

I got Raikou on the route left to the burning tower (miltank farm) and entei the route below.

All I have left is Red on my Silver file and I am in absolutely no rush whatsoever to beat him. Ended up making a switch before the league and it paid off in the end. Really wish I had two 3DS's so I could actually complete the Pokedex.

Does anyone know good trainers to get phone numbers from?
Fisherman Ralph on route 32, Hiker Anthony on route 33, Bug Catcher Arnie on route 35, Lass Dana on route 38, School Kid Chad on route 38, Fisherman Wilton on route 44 and Hiker Parry on route 45 tell you about swarms (Qwilfish, Dunsparce, Yanma, Tauros, Snubbull, Remoraid and Marril respectively)

aside from that they're only useful for grinding in which case I recommend:
Picnicker Gina and Camper Todd on route 34; they're both easy to find, Gina is both easy with (eventually) high level pokemon and Todd has 4 pokemon which is rare
Fisher Wilton on route 44 is similar to Gina if not quite as easy and also a tells you about Marril swarms
School Kid Alan on route 36 also has 4 pokemon if slightly lower level than Todd's
PokeManiac Brent on route 43 is interesting since he only has 1 pokemon but after the 3rd rematch that pokemon is Chansey which is great for grinding
then there's Cooltrainer Gaven and Cooltrainer Reena (don't bother with Beth) on routes 26 and 27, both have 3 pokemon at high level but are a bit out of the way
finally there Blackbelt Kenji on route 45 who has 4 pokemon at high levels but is a pain to get to

and before anyone says that it's more efficient to just re-do the Elite Four and maybe that damn boat between Olivine and Vermillion; this is just so you don't go mad with boredom battling the same 6 trainers for eternity

(seriously screw this games)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)