Pokemon Showdown LA Story

Congrats on top 8. I wonder where in Orlando the next round is being held, I might go and watch.
Most likely the same Hotel where they held the TCG Championships, which was in a Hotel at Dowtown Disney.
I will be passing by there with teams at hand incase they have a side tournament, as well as to meet others from this and other sites ;)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Congratulations on making it to the Top 8. The story was extremely entertaining. It's nice to see Smogon members meeting up in real life.

I'm a little surprised your pokemon didn't turn up as hacks.

Not to say that you're a hacker, but they claimed they can check for any AR codes used - cloning, unlimited items, even having a hacked pokemon on your game.

The officials said that it was only checking the party, and they took it immediately between matches before you would have time to switch your party out. It probably checked the party of the backup save, too, in case you changed your team between the matches.

Of course, the officials might have just been bullshitting.
Also it isn't like AR leaves a few bits at the end of the save saying "hey guys the cloning code was used on this game and also the master ball that the pokemon in slot 2 of box 14 is hacked okay." It would just be generic ARness.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm a little surprised your pokemon didn't turn up as hacks.

Not to say that you're a hacker, but they claimed they can check for any AR codes used - cloning, unlimited items, even having a hacked pokemon on your game.
I made 100% sure I didn't have hacks by starting a new game and not trading with anyone or on the GTS, I was being very cautious a I didn't want to be DQed due to some hacked Cranidos I got off the GTS.

"Excuse me sir, see that Cranidos there that doesn't have your OT or IDs? Well. It's hacked. Yeah definitely. I think we're going to have to disqualify you. You know, because your team being legit doesn't mean anything to our big soulless corporation. Have a nice day though! And feel free to steal Poke Balls from the pool! But oh, if you get that Ultra Ball we'll just yell at you to put it back."

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
So, basically,if I hack perfect parents and breed for perfect babies, that'd be legit?
As long as you do that on a different cartridge and trade them over to the cartridge you would use for the event, I would assume so, but I don't know for sure.

I totally went to this. Though I spent most of the time puppydogeyeing cuddles off of Yamipoli and making out with my boyfriend (Blueki), I still saw everyone. XP

CPUV2.0 I totally saw that shirt, so that must have been you.

From what the officials said the hack-checking device only checked the party. I don't know if they were bullshitting though or just plain had no idea. Yamipoli took a million pictures of the boxes with the DS shells and of the slots so I'm sure eventually anyone who didn't get to go and was curious about that will get to see? It took a bunch of Pokesavs and other "Hi I'm not legit" Pokemon, I really think it was only doing like a stat check, like PBR.

Weakestlink33, nope, no event pokemnos.
WAIT! Are you serious that they accepted pokesave'd pokemon as legit? That seriously pisses me off even though I have no plans of participating in the showdown. There really seems to be no place left for battling with pokemon you bred and raised yourself except with people you trust (who have also agreed to that clause).

Hey do you have any pictures of the special ds prize pack thing or are they giving those out in orlando?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
WAIT! Are you serious that they accepted pokesave'd pokemon as legit? That seriously pisses me off even though I have no plans of participating in the showdown. There really seems to be no place left for battling with pokemon you bred and raised yourself except with people you trust (who have also agreed to that clause).
think they had to do that because of the GTS. What if people tossed Pokesaved stuff onto the GTS and you got it? They can't blame you for it. Knowing this, they know that doing a 100% hack check could possibly disqualify a lot of people, which is why they cut it short into checking stuff for legitimacy.

I mean, if you got a really good Lonely Azelf off the GTS, and then used it for the tourney, without the knowledge that it is hacked or not, they can't say "well get it hack checked beforehand", or "use your own Pokemon", right?

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
think they had to do that because of the GTS. What if people tossed Pokesaved stuff onto the GTS and you got it? They can't blame you for it. Knowing this, they know that doing a 100% hack check could possibly disqualify a lot of people, which is why they cut it short into checking stuff for legitimacy.

I mean, if you got a really good Lonely Azelf off the GTS, and then used it for the tourney, without the knowledge that it is hacked or not, they can't say "well get it hack checked beforehand", or "use your own Pokemon", right?
actually i sent an email asking about using gts pokemon and they said this

It doesn't matter where you got the Pokemon from. If it has been modified with an external device and you attempt to play with it, you will be disqualified from the event.
EDIT: oh nvm i misread the post.

Well I guess their definition of "modified with an external device" now means some good old Pokemon Battle Revolution-blocked over 510 EV total, and possibly the GTS filtering with the moves and game origins.

I really don't blame them though, because of the GTS and Wi-Fi. Even though they're saying it doesn't matter where you got it, I'm 99.999% sure they're only saying that because they don't want to encourage people that they can hack something, give it a different OT/ID/SID and then pretend that they got it off the GTS if they get called on it.

If they actually disqualified everyone with a hacked Pokemon on their game, besides them not really being able to figure out some of them at all, they would basically be banning everyone who trades a lot or uses GTS and hasn't released every Pokemon they ever got that way.

Aw Zerowing gets no love.

Well I just found out that BKK is taking me to Florida with him, so I guess I'll be seeing you there.

Ouch, I hope that was just a mistake. Didn't one of the JAA competitors not get listed on the site? I think it was skarm after they found out he was Canadian.

On a lighter note, Chimchar looks anorexic standing next to the rest of its chubby Pokéfriends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)