Pokemon Shuffle General Discussion

Someone has good suggestions to farm Solgaleo itemless?
You're expecting to have time for that after working on Zygarde for Typeless Combo and getting a rare encounter (Unfezant-F) in the Safari? As is I'm tossing the NHN for a hit-and-run of the early stages to guarantee drops

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
World Defender
At least i am full on moneys (+ can add a crystal do meowth) and have 50 bonus hearts, i should be able to at least do some farm for steel combo with the right team

Well I've come to the point where the game is mostly something to do to pass time at work and on bus rides. Just barely motivated to play at home at this point.

Well I've come to the point where the game is mostly something to do to pass time at work and on bus rides. Just barely motivated to play at home at this point.
Welcome to the team, though I actually haven't touched the game in over a month. It's too troublesome for me to even bring my 3DS anywhere at this point.

If they ever do another game, maybe I'll jump into it.

I picked up my 3DS for the first time in months to get Zeraora at the theatre. Loaded up Shuffle and man, do I not miss this game at all. Hope they come out with something new, though, been having some time to kill recently.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Hello, sorry to revive an old chat, but I picked up this game a week ago (on mobile) and have now reached stage 204. I have followed advice on this thread, but unfortunately did spend quite a few coins recently on Great Balls due to frustration with Aerodactyl and the fact that I couldn't turn down the possibility of an easy base 80 in Yveltal. I found some typically tough stages not too hard, like Mega Glalie, and some not talked about so much tricky, like Tyranitar. (Conkeldurr was awful too...)

The main thing I wanted to ask was whether I'm doing some bits of the strategy right:

1. I know I shouldn't bother too hard about catching or S-ranking most regular-stage Pokemon, because it's much easier to go back later with stronger Pokemon. However, I've found going back and catching a few earlier ones to be very helpful, even if it did use a lot of lives, like Ninetales and Aerodactyl for the mega. I have the main ones I saw people say were useful later on from stages 1-150 (Aurorus, Heracross, Scizor, Gengar) and most of the Pokemon I have mega stones for. Is there anything else you'd particularly recommend I go back and get from earlier on?

2. Is it correct not to bother farming Level 37 Meowth for gold yet? I did spend quite a bit of gold on those Great Balls (I won't be doing that again), as I said, and have bought the occasional Mega Start, Moves+5 or DD when I needed them, but currently the daily 500 gold, weekend Meowth and completing new stages offers enough. Should I plan ahead more and farm Meowth more (have done it a few times for practice), or wait until the game slows down more and more boosters are needed?

3. How important are Mega Speedups at the moment? I knew Gengar was supposed to be great and used my first speedup on it, but I've now obtained two more. Should I use them on something like Aerodactyl, or save them for Rayquaza or Tyranitar or Mewtwo Y later on?

4. Something I've not seen talked about is what Pokemon should I use my Skill Boosters on? I know Raikou and Suicune are the best mons to Skill Swap and most Pokemon you use a lot as the game becomes more centric on a few of them later on are good Raise Max Level users, but this hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello, sorry to revive an old chat, but I picked up this game a week ago (on mobile) and have now reached stage 204. I have followed advice on this thread, but unfortunately did spend quite a few coins recently on Great Balls due to frustration with Aerodactyl and the fact that I couldn't turn down the possibility of an easy base 80 in Yveltal. I found some typically tough stages not too hard, like Mega Glalie, and some not talked about so much tricky, like Tyranitar. (Conkeldurr was awful too...)

The main thing I wanted to ask was whether I'm doing some bits of the strategy right:

1. I know I shouldn't bother too hard about catching or S-ranking most regular-stage Pokemon, because it's much easier to go back later with stronger Pokemon. However, I've found going back and catching a few earlier ones to be very helpful, even if it did use a lot of lives, like Ninetales and Aerodactyl for the mega. I have the main ones I saw people say were useful later on from stages 1-150 (Aurorus, Heracross, Scizor, Gengar) and most of the Pokemon I have mega stones for. Is there anything else you'd particularly recommend I go back and get from earlier on?

2. Is it correct not to bother farming Level 37 Meowth for gold yet? I did spend quite a bit of gold on those Great Balls (I won't be doing that again), as I said, and have bought the occasional Mega Start, Moves+5 or DD when I needed them, but currently the daily 500 gold, weekend Meowth and completing new stages offers enough. Should I plan ahead more and farm Meowth more (have done it a few times for practice), or wait until the game slows down more and more boosters are needed?

3. How important are Mega Speedups at the moment? I knew Gengar was supposed to be great and used my first speedup on it, but I've now obtained two more. Should I use them on something like Aerodactyl, or save them for Rayquaza or Tyranitar or Mewtwo Y later on?

4. Something I've not seen talked about is what Pokemon should I use my Skill Boosters on? I know Raikou and Suicune are the best mons to Skill Swap and most Pokemon you use a lot as the game becomes more centric on a few of them later on are good Raise Max Level users, but this hasn't been mentioned anywhere.
I played this game for a while on 3DS and got up to the high 200s in terms of stage count, but never got much further than that out of growing boredom for the game's repetition. I found that the best thing I could do to further my progress was get a hold of a Mega Pokémon with a "tapping effect", such as Tyranitar or Aggron. Being able to choose where you remove disruptions on the board completely changes how you approach the game in more and more stages. Mega Speedups can make your tappers more consistent, with a notable example being the event-exclusive Mega Beedrill getting its Mega Evolution off in just three icons with max Speedups. This was the strategy I found myself using the most before I quit playing.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Kinda depends what roadblock you’re at. You’re coming up to Herracross and you might wanna use a diamond for all the upgrades but if you can’t get to Herracross yet without the need of a +5 or megastart than yeah grind gold, sure. Still, you’re probably better off grinding safaris and skill points in special stages if you can.

I personally grind coins out through survival mode. This strat was always under appreciated or met with skeptism when I brought it up before with the Shuffle community on Reddit but I really want to document my success with it again.

So long as you can on average get to about level 50 (Deoxys), Surival Mode will always be a more rewarding AND consistent way to grind coins.
Let’s break this down:
  • Assume that Meowth will net you on average 320 coins per heart, based on getting a match of 4 + beating the stage.
  • So for three hearts, you should earn 960 coins.
  • Survival mode rewards 20 gold per stage cleared. If you clear up to 49 stages and lose to Deoxys, you earn 980 coins.
  • For three hearts and under these assumptions, survival nets more coins AND experience orbs too!
Under these assumptions, survival is a clear winner. There are still a lot of factors at play missing here, though. Let’s factor in worst-case scenarios first. With Meowth, you are far from guaranteed to a 4 match of gold to score the 300 coins. There’s a 3/8 chance out of every disruption to not spawn any coins, so even if you play perfectly, there’s about a 14% chance both disruptions proc rocks so you only earn 120 gold total. This is somewhat alleviated by the 12% chance the first disruption procs 2 coins, which could get you 520 coins if you make the match of 5. But the real worst case is that you mess up, either killing Meowth too early or not at all, and you finish the stage with nothing. I’ll still give your skill the benefit of the doubt that you can pull off 320 reliably, but at least from my experience this was easier said than done as messing up or getting flatout unlucky happened way more than actually getting 520 gold.

Getting no coins per heart is the possible reality you facw with Meowth, but does the goose egg exist with survival mode too? Not really, given you have the time to complete the run and nothing glitches out. Out of all my runs with an optimal team, I can only count a few times where I’ve lost before Deoxys; all at or soonafter Mega Medicham. If this does occur, you will have earned at least 780 coins, lowering your winnings to 260 coins-per-heart. Compare this to a Meowth run where one time you only get a match of 3: your winnings for three hearts would be 760 coins. This means that even in survival modes’s worst case scenario, which in my experience has been far less likely, survival mode still nets you more coins+ rewards; best case scenario, you can even earn a skill cookie!

So I really only think Meowth is worth it if you dont have an optimal team for survival yet or you dont have the time / hearts for a survival run. Otherwise, you’re almost always better off doing survival to get more coins.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Kinda depends what roadblock you’re at. You’re coming up to Herracross and you might wanna use a diamond for all the upgrades but if you can’t get to Herracross yet without the need of a +5 or megastart than yeah grind gold, sure. Still, you’re probably better off grinding safaris and skill points in special stages if you can.

I personally grind coins out through survival mode. This strat was always under appreciated or met with skeptism when I brought it up before with the Shuffle community on Reddit but I really want to document my success with it again.

So long as you can on average get to about level 50 (Deoxys), Surival Mode will always be a more rewarding AND consistent way to grind coins.
Let’s break this down:
  • Assume that Meowth will net you on average 320 coins per heart, based on getting a match of 4 + beating the stage.
  • So for three hearts, you should earn 960 coins.
  • Survival mode rewards 20 gold per stage cleared. If you clear up to 49 stages and lose to Deoxys, you earn 980 coins.
  • For three hearts and under these assumptions, survival nets more coins AND experience orbs too!
Under these assumptions, survival is a clear winner. There are still a lot of factors at play missing here, though. Let’s factor in worst-case scenarios first. With Meowth, you are far from guaranteed to a 4 match of gold to score the 300 coins. There’s a 3/8 chance out of every disruption to not spawn any coins, so even if you play perfectly, there’s about a 14% chance both disruptions proc rocks so you only earn 120 gold total. This is somewhat alleviated by the 12% chance the first disruption procs 2 coins, which could get you 520 coins if you make the match of 5. But the real worst case is that you mess up, either killing Meowth too early or not at all, and you finish the stage with nothing. I’ll still give your skill the benefit of the doubt that you can pull off 320 reliably, but at least from my experience this was easier said than done as messing up or getting flatout unlucky happened way more than actually getting 520 gold.

Getting no coins per heart is the possible reality you facw with Meowth, but does the goose egg exist with survival mode too? Not really, given you have the time to complete the run and nothing glitches out. Out of all my runs with an optimal team, I can only count a few times where I’ve lost before Deoxys; all at or soonafter Mega Medicham. If this does occur, you will have earned at least 780 coins, lowering your winnings to 260 coins-per-heart. Compare this to a Meowth run where one time you only get a match of 3: your winnings for three hearts would be 760 coins. This means that even in survival modes’s worst case scenario, which in my experience has been far less likely, survival mode still nets you more coins+ rewards; best case scenario, you can even earn a skill cookie!

So I really only think Meowth is worth it if you dont have an optimal team for survival yet or you dont have the time / hearts for a survival run. Otherwise, you’re almost always better off doing survival to get more coins.
Interesting idea. Is there any team you'd recommend for doing this using things I can get right now or soon? I know optimal survival mode teams have been worked out, but they use things I can't really obtain at my present point, and of course I only need to get to around 50, as you say. Your method also has the advantage of being able to grab some other somewhat useful items, rather than just coins.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Interesting idea. Is there any team you'd recommend for doing this using things I can get right now or soon? I know optimal survival mode teams have been worked out, but they use things I can't really obtain at my present point, and of course I only need to get to around 50, as you say. Your method also has the advantage of being able to grab some other somewhat useful items, rather than just coins.
To get to this point, you totally need an almost-perfect Hammering Steak team. I use Mega Pinsir, Shiny Metagross, Blinking Blissy, and Shiny Hawlucha. These are all special stage stuff and if you can’t grind / access these don’t bother yet with survival; 100% prioritize survival builds tho because it is by far the most rewarding grind AND hammering streak teams just solo most of the game.

How the fuck is this game still alive?

Pokémon Duel gets shuttered after three years, Rumble Rush is axed after one, and yet this Candy Crush knockoff is still running after seven fucking years?
If I had to guess, because it was on the 3DS as well as mobile. It came to an end (in terms of new content) and all old special stages now runs on a set schedule, until whenever those servers go down.

I think if it hadn't been on 3DS they'd have just killed it like all the rest, but it isn't didn't so it gets to live.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
So it seems I might be about to get my first ever Skill Swapper through the current Darkrai escalation. I've now reached stage 330 (Tyrantrum) and was thinking that Ninetales might be a decent choice to swap, for a few reasons:

1. It's something I already have (many of the high-ranked swappers on the subreddit are Pokemon that only come from later or difficult stages)
2. It has reasonable power already, as I don't have many Raise Max Levels yet.
3. It can be useful right away (as oppose to something like Sylveon that is only really good once you have other Hammering Streak users).
4. While it might not be optimal now, it does become a top Pokemon later on, and with Skill Swappers being pretty rare this seems key to me.
Would people on here agree with this?

EDIT: I realised Ninetales's activation rate is too low without skill farming and chose Mega Boost+ Diancie. Ideally I would have done so a couple of weeks ago so I could farm it in the escalation, but 50/100/100% activation rate is not terrible for no investment, it'll come round again later, and I think it fits the rest of my criteria.

I also answered my question about the Mega Speedups - more recent Internet advice said that the Gengar/Rayquaza/Tyranitar holy trinity of Megas is outdated and tapping Megas are the 'in thing' in more recent versions of the game, so you should save MSUs for Pinsir or Shiny Charizard X, with the latter being better but taking longer to come round on the cycle. As a result, my plan is to use them on Shiny Charizard X unless I get enough Speedups to do Pinsir before the Zard X competition is available. Then once you have done one of them you are supposed to do the other key tapper Pokemon, Beedrill, followed by a combination of Skill Swapped Diancie, either Shiny Metagross or Mewtwo Y, and then there are certain other more specific users. Aggron and Tyranitar are typically the favoured megas in competition stages and tougher regular ones where you're using Mega Start. A good job I found all the information just before I was getting to the point where I was planning to dump all my speedups in Rayquaza!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)