SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there was a new famitsu interview about USUM this month.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/1...ferent-main-story-with-other-worlds-to-visit/

So as many of us speculated, we can get old legendaries through ultra wormholes, with Mewtwo used as an example.

2 other things from this interview have me curious.

1: They mention that training and getting Pokemon will be much easier than in SM. Maybe the grind to level 100 won't be as brutal for bottling capping? That'd be nice!

2: Apparently USUM have about double the story content of SM, and there's a new post game episode o_O. They brag that this game has much bigger changes than Platinum too.
My boy Mewtwo coming back for round 2 (the Mewtwo in XY was shiny locked if I'm not mistaken, so if they don't shiny lock these guys, I'm gonna be away for a little while).
Also "twice as long as regular SM"......well if you think about it, it's basically SM's story, but with Ultra Recon Squad and Necrozma thrown into it, so a much bigger main campaign is to be expected.

Looks like that storage size I found in the monotype discord was wrong, thank god.

Anyways, I'm hyped again. For what could be my last Pokémon game, this should be great.

Distortion world = ultra space
Necrozma = giratina
Not literally, but you get what I mean. If you don't know what those are, don't wanna spoil it for ya, platinum was a great game.
I had certain doubts regarding that data as well, this only proves that these games are gonna be really big. Btw, who found it in the first place?

Regarding being able to find past legendaries through Ultra Wormholes, there might be a bit more to it than with the Mirage Spots. From what we've seen of Ultra Space so far, each wormhole leads to a small area with a few obstacles and an Ultra Beast waiting at the end. I imagine it would work similarly for past legendaries, but instead of an alien world, the area you travel to to find them is a (possibly simplified) recreation of the where they are found in their original games. Instead of the Pokemon just appearing out of nowhere like with the Mirage Spots, you'd be transported to places like Cerulean Cave, Sky Pillar, or Snowpoint Temple, with the respective legendary waiting for you at the end. Not only would this make catching legendaries more interesting, but it would be a good way to expand the post-game dex, as well as reimagine the old settings and puzzles in full, gridless 3D.

Regarding being able to find past legendaries through Ultra Wormholes, there might be a bit more to it than with the Mirage Spots. From what we've seen of Ultra Space so far, each wormhole leads to a small area with a few obstacles and an Ultra Beast waiting at the end. I imagine it would work similarly for past legendaries, but instead of an alien world, the area you travel to to find them is a (possibly simplified) recreation of the where they are found in their original games. Instead of the Pokemon just appearing out of nowhere like with the Mirage Spots, you'd be transported to places like Cerulean Cave, Sky Pillar, or Snowpoint Temple, with the respective legendary waiting for you at the end. Not only would this make catching legendaries more interesting, but it would be a good way to expand the post-game dex, as well as reimagine the old settings and puzzles in full, gridless 3D.
That's an excellent idea. Now back to reality.

My boy Mewtwo coming back for round 2 (the Mewtwo in XY was shiny locked if I'm not mistaken, so if they don't shiny lock these guys, I'm gonna be away for a little while).
Actually, the presence of Mewtwo doesn't come to "that" huge surprise. It has a megastone, and the trend seembs to be that all Mega pokemon will be available.

This leads me to wonder if there'll also be a Diancie somewhere in USUM, or if maybe Diancie is the "special gift from registering USUM to PGL early".

I feel that along with Mewtwo; the Bird Trio, Xerneas, and Yveltal will be available due to them only being available in XY, which is already 4 years old. I can see the Beast trio and Ho-Oh (Sun) and Lugia (Moon) getting in thanks to the 20th movie (merch hints towards this).

Question is if the Gen 3-5 legends make it in; we know that things like Landorus-T, Cressila, and Heatran were extremely overused in past VGCs, so they could be snubbed of the Clover to soft-ban them.

Regarding being able to find past legendaries through Ultra Wormholes, there might be a bit more to it than with the Mirage Spots. From what we've seen of Ultra Space so far, each wormhole leads to a small area with a few obstacles and an Ultra Beast waiting at the end. I imagine it would work similarly for past le
I feel that along with Mewtwo; the Bird Trio, Xerneas, and Yveltal will be available due to them only being available in XY, which is already 4 years old. I can see the Beast trio and Ho-Oh (Sun) and Lugia (Moon) getting in thanks to the 20th movie (merch hints towards this).

Question is if the Gen 3-5 legends make it in; we know that things like Landorus-T, Cressila, and Heatran were extremely overused in past VGCs, so they could be snubbed of the Clover to soft-ban them.
You just know the Sinnoh trio is gonna be available somehow. Going through wormholes in the fabric of space-time? Come on now, it would be awkward to not see them pop up (which makes it even more likely that they won't be made in the game)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should note that I recall the books in that wormhole lab in SM even bringing up Giratina, so Gamefreak may have been hinting towards this the whole time!

What about Guzma’s line about bringing the best in people out?
Guzma is one of the more interesting villains in Gen 7 so I’m glad it seems they are only further developing his character. The fact that his type of choice is bug, Pokémon that are mostly seen as weak but really powerful & nasty when they evolve is cool. It mirrors how he felt when he was abused as a kid. I always wondered if Wimpod & Golisopod were designed before Guzma or after.

It always made sense that he sought Lusamine’s approval since his own parents never gave it to him. Wonder how her self-sacrifice influences his character changes too.

What about Guzma’s line about bringing the best in people out?
I was trying to emphasize the idea of an on-screen sacrifice in a Pokemon game (and not that it was Lusamine) but Guzma's line is interesting too.

Perhaps Lusamine (and by proxy, Guzma) never falls off the slippery slope. Or she regains her sanity earlier, or perhaps everyone assumes she's crazy as in SM when she's not. Who knows.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some quick stuff I want to touch upon:

Game Freak was greatly relieved to learn that Z-Moves were well-received by fans.
Hm, I wonder if this means Z-Moves will have any staying power? Like they won't abandon it just like Mega Evolutions, they may still support Z-Moves with more of them.
Whether they'll release a new gimmick next gen or not remains a big question, though if they like Z-Moves and want to do more with them this could influence what the next gimmick would be, maybe even an extension of them. Obvious direction to go would be Z-Abilities.
And I know this is a long shot, but maybe they'll take what they learned from Z-Moves and maybe they'll look back at Mega Evolutions. Z-Moves just doesn't slap 100 Power on a move's Power, Z-Move's Power are based on a range of base move's Power. They could do this easily with Mega Evolution's via BST amount. They can give Pokemon with lower Power higher BST increase while ones with higher BST lower (maybe even below 100, just increase a few notable stats and give it a stronger Ability). That way Mega don't feel OP and we can include more.

For Sun & Moon, Game Freak worked on balancing bosses by making them beatable if players use proper strategies or suffer if they go in recklessly.
I wouldn't call Type advantage + Z-Move a proper strategy. Certainly a strategy, but more of a "go all out on the boss and OHKO it" than having to take turns to set things up.

After completing work on Sun & Moon, the staff felt that there was still more they could do in the Alola region.
Ya think? Though I would say the same thing for Kalos...
Actually this is a silly thing to say. All the games you can expand upon, it's just time to develop it is a major limiting factor. Now if they said they had story ideas they wanted to do but couldn't put in the original Sun & Moon either due to time constraints and/or they thought it would be too much of a departure from Pokemon if done with the initial paired games, though the latter people would call them out just for holding back content for a third/second pair version, would make much more sense to say.

The reason they’re releasing Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon is to offer players some variety before the current image they get stuck with the same image of Alola.
... What? I'm guessing they're trying to say USUM is meant to be the definitive Gen VII games? Like Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum were for for Gen II, III, and IV?
Well honestly I would think that would go unsaid, like I think it's agreed Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum are the best version of their gens and if you go back you should play them.

It’s a “story that has a little divergence” from Sun and Moon.
Just then a PR member in the backroom gives out a giant "NO!" and starts calling the advertisement team to release a trailer showcasing the new story elements, hence the newest trailer. :P

On top of a different main story from Sun & Moon, there’s an additional new episode after entering the Hall of Fame. Game Freak teases that those who are looking at it as what Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl, can expect an even more ultra huge change coming.
Yeah, considering the "new episode" in Platinun's post game was just seeing Charon, Jupiter, and Mars trying to catch Heatran I wouldn't be using it as an example (unless it is which in that case do you want to advertise it like that?). Why not XY's Looker Quests or ORAS's Delta Episode. Also what about the Ultra Beast hunt in Sun & Moon, is this part of it? With how prominent the Ultra Beats are looking is that getting an extended story (or is that what you're talking about)?
Unless they're talking about content addition, like the Battle Frontier. GF, don't promise the Battle Frontier or something equal to it unless you mean it. "But they didn't promise it". Oh yes they just did. They used Platinum as an example for extended post game changes, one of the biggest changes was the Battle Frontier, thus that's what people are going to jump to.
Also when I say something equal to the Battle Frontier I don't mean something like the Pokemon World Tournament. While that was neat and I'd love to see more past Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champions, Frontier Brains, even Rivals and other notable NPCs, the PWT was just a knockout tournament with basic single or double battling rules. Come on GF: at least include a place for rentals, Inverse battles, and maybe even Little Cup. Why not?

Pokémon will be much easier to collect and train compared to Sun and Moon.
Director: Okay, players are complaining about the difficulty of collecting Pokemon and raising them, what should we do?
Intern: Maybe increase dex diversity so Wingull and Yungoos aren't everywhere and include new areas where they can battle higher level Pokemon?
Director: GIVE THAT MAN A RAISE!

Using the “Ultra Warp Ride” to travel to other worlds, you’ll even get to visit a world with Legendary Pokémon. For example, you can meet and catch Mewtwo. That’s all Game Freak has to say about that for now and they’ll leave it to your imagination whether we’ll get to meet other Legendary Pokémon.
So like that Pikachu Short with Klefki?

Hopefully this means more interesting locations than just random islands and caves or flying into a wormhole (though Ho-Oh and Lugia was neat with how they did their portal's in Sea Mauville).

That said, I wouldn't want a huge Legendary hunt like they did in ORAS. I know a lot would probably hate me for saying this, but if they do include a lot I would say make many of them version exclusive. My suggestions:

Sun: Ho-Oh, Beast Trio, Latias, Groudon, Dialga, Swords of Justice, Tornadus, Reshiram, Xerneas
Moon: Lugia, Winged Mirages, Latios, Kyogre, Palkia, Lake Guardians, Thunderus, Zekrom, Yveltal
Both: Mewtwo, Regi Trio, Regigigas (requires Regi Trio registered in dex), Rayquaza (requires having Groudon & Kyogre registered in dex), Giratina (requires having Dialga & Palkia registered in dex), Cresselia, Heatran (only if Darkrai is demoted from Mystical*, otherwise make Cresselia Moon exclusive and Heatran Sun exclusive), Landorus (requires having Tornadus & Thundurus registered in dex), Kyurem (requires having Reshiram & Zekrom registered in dex)

* I think they should demote another mystical, this time Darkrai. I mean, come on, have you seen the new trailer? Making Darkrai normally obtainable would make perfect sense.

Now what their world would look like is an interesting discussion. Would each get one that fits their aesthetic? Would it actually be a location from a previous game or a pocket dimension that mirrors it? If they do version excusives will they do individual ones or have some "share" a world? For example, individually they have have Lugia's be at the bottom of the sea while Ho-ho is on a high mountain at eternal sunset (inspired from the 20th movie) or they could instead share a tower motif (with at most different statues and decorations but overall the same location).

If we put it simply as far as story volume goes, the addition of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon should about double the current story volume for the Sun & Moon generation.
Which seems pretty big on paper but when it comes down to it you can probably fit on a diner napkin.

I kid, though I wonder if all this new stuff an actual extension or is it mostly the Ultra Recon Squad? I do hope they put some more focus on Team Skull, maybe look more into their origins with them originally being a follower of an ex-Kahuna and how Guzma got in charge (also tell us a bit more about Plumeria who).

Just going back on the "I was right all along since the start" line.

It's pretty evident why every legendary that isnt event-specific has to be available in USUM.

Same reason they are in ORAS: marketing strategy.

You do not want possibly new players who do not own previous games or do not have access to pokebank to be hardstuck in having to spend extra money to get them. While it sounds like a good plan, it isn't because it discourages even buying the game to start with.

Non-Mythical and Non-Cover Legendaryes (birds, regis, genies, etc) also have the issue that they are going to be allowed in next VGC, (and battle spot) and will require the Gen 7 mark in order to be usable. So again, you do not want to prevent possibly new players to use them and gate them behind spending more money. Same goes for Megas.

Other Pokemon, while not necessarly being present wild or with HA in gen 7, are still possible to obtain via GTS relatively easily since it's often full of breedjects.

So, I guess I passed my marketing exam :)

Hold on, are they saying that both Ho-oh AND Lugia are in Ultra Sun? Giratina, you're my love, but I have to.
I think for this time they just throw a bunch of legends on both sides. Zygarde, Giratina and Kyurem are the third legendaries for their respective versions, while Mewtwo, Ho-Oh and Lugia aren't. Although it would make more sense if Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde were exclusive to Moon and then Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza and some more to Sun.

If we put it simply as far as story volume goes, the addition of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon should about double the current story volume for the Sun & Moon generation.
I'm more inclined to translate this as "cut scene" rather than "story".

Wait, Zygarde is available to CATCH? Does this mean the cell collecting side quest is GONE? I was hoping it would be expanded to give Zygarde a better/ proper storyline. Poor creature has been sidelined for its XYSM friends
Nothing about this implies that Zygarde is conventionally capturable ?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'm more inclined to translate this as "cut scene" rather than "story".
:face palm:
My fking god, not more cutscenes. I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of players reacted negatively to the excessive cutscenes. They may have liked Lily for a bit, but now everyone's tired.
GF thought players liked Z-moves, so I'm guessing they're dumb enough to think we liked the cutscenes too.
whyyyyyyyyy

:face palm:
My fking god, not more cutscenes. I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of players reacted negatively to the excessive cutscenes. They may have liked Lily for a bit, but now everyone's tired.
GF thought players liked Z-moves, so I'm guessing they're dumb enough to think we liked the cutscenes too.
whyyyyyyyyy
The cutscenes are fine
The inability to skip the cutscenes was the issue, particularly the string of long cutscenes you go through to get your starter (which appears to have been changed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)