SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the fuck plays Pokémon for the story, anyway? The ability to skip cutscenes is essential to modern gaming, and GF still doesn't get it. Heck, even first-party developer Nintendo EAD understands this better. Mario and Zelda cutscenes are either quick or skippable. Why doesn't Pokémon follow through with this, let alone have three save files?

Who the fuck plays Pokémon for the story, anyway? The ability to skip cutscenes is essential to modern gaming, and GF still doesn't get it. Heck, even first-party developer Nintendo EAD understands this better. Mario and Zelda cutscenes are either quick or skippable. Why doesn't Pokémon follow through with this, let alone have three save files?
Most people don't play Pokemon games for the story, true, but having a good story and characters never hurts. One of the reasons I like Sun and Moon a lot more than X and Y is that the game did a good job at characterizing and developing the characters, namely Lillie and Gladion.

That being said, there is no excuse for no skippable cutscenes. At the very least, Gamefreak should implement something similar to what the Superstar Saga remake did and allow the player to significantly speed up the text.

I don't necessarily play it for the story, but if it's there I'll usually stay interested in it. Seems kind of reductive to say no one who plays pokemon cares about the story, especially when they've spent the past 4 generations increasing the amount of story (XY aside).

that said

being unable to skip cutscenes is absolutely baffling and gets exponentially more baffling with each set of games. Even the mario & luigi remake includes a fast forward button if nothing else!

Lusamine is trying to... pull a heroic sacrifice? In a Pokemon game!?
Given the previous trailer, I actually suspected this to happen. She was warning the player character about "the monster".
EDIT: Eh, I didn't watch this trailer and just realised this is the translated trailer from previous Japanese one I meant as previous cutscene trailer. Duh....
I'm suspecting... she'll still initially be the mad Lusamine we know, before realising her wrongs and pull out this sacrifice.

Whatever it is, this will immediately put her into one of most sympathetic villain leaders in Pokemon main series. Yup, looks like the story this time will differ greatly, unlike in the past "third versions", this becomes very interesting.
I know I'll like this, since this is probably how anime Lusamine (which people aren't even sure if she's evil or not) will be based on.

Last edited:
Hm, I wonder if this means Z-Moves will have any staying power? Like they won't abandon it just like Mega Evolutions, they may still support Z-Moves with more of them.
Whether they'll release a new gimmick next gen or not remains a big question, though if they like Z-Moves and want to do more with them this could influence what the next gimmick would be, maybe even an extension of them. Obvious direction to go would be Z-Abilities.
And I know this is a long shot, but maybe they'll take what they learned from Z-Moves and maybe they'll look back at Mega Evolutions. Z-Moves just doesn't slap 100 Power on a move's Power, Z-Move's Power are based on a range of base move's Power. They could do this easily with Mega Evolution's via BST amount. They can give Pokemon with lower Power higher BST increase while ones with higher BST lower (maybe even below 100, just increase a few notable stats and give it a stronger Ability). That way Mega don't feel OP and we can include more.
Z-Moves are dramatically easier to maintain than Mega Evolutions. Disregarding exclusive Z-Moves, every move has the same animation (whereas each Mega Evolution needs a whole new design), and the only things that change are the base power and move category (if offensive) or the effect (if status), while in Mega Evolutions a lot of things change. Also, the fact all generic Z-Moves of the same type use the same item.

That would require two fields at best - a pointer to the move it becomes (physical Z-Move, special Z-Move or the corresponding status Z-effect) and the base power (0 if status).

I know I'll like this, since this is probably how anime Lusamine (which people aren't even sure if she's evil or not) will be based on.
This is something I've been thinking as well. Anime Lusamine could not be farther than the in-game Lusamine - if she turns out to be similar to her anime depiction in US/UM, a lot of things will be explained.

This is something I've been thinking as well. Anime Lusamine could not be farther than the in-game Lusamine - if she turns out to be similar to her anime depiction in US/UM, a lot of things will be explained.
I've not seen her episodes in particular yet, but from what little i've seen (gifs, screens, bulbapedia summaryetc) she seems in line with game Lusamine... before her reveal of being crazy. Smothering Lillie, being obsessed with cuteness, the traits are there. The anime can get away with this (or, possibly, show her decent) probably since the anime didn't open with Lillie running away ad they need to stretch out the anime for however long they want the plot line to go on for. The games have less screen time with Lusamine so they need things like her evil smirk in the same first appearance we see her being overly loving.

Besids something tells me Aether is still responsible for this in the anime so Lusamine probably isn't all sunshine

Wait, Zygarde is available to CATCH? Does this mean the cell collecting side quest is GONE? I was hoping it would be expanded to give Zygarde a better/ proper storyline. Poor creature has been sidelined for its XYSM friends
Firstly, as someone else pointed out, that's not for sure. Secondly, it being made directly catchable doesn't necessarily imply that they won't expand on the story -- if anything, it probably opens up a few narrative doors with respect to what Zygarde is doing in Alola in the first place. (I hope they won't be lazy and just put it in a random place, but actually explain why the chamber in Resolution Cave has EXACTLY the same layout as the one in Terminus.)

I'd love an opportunity to actually fight Zygarde in its complete form, personally.

I do hope reshiram is in ultra sun, so I can shiny hunt for it there. With the potential of new environments and scenery with old legends soft reset hunts could maybe be a lot of fun

What does the text say on this? Why 2018?
This is the Data File + National Dex (see below) version that will be released on December 13th. As for why it says 2018, this likely goes back in history and relates to other Japanese magazines being sold "in advance" (e.g. the November 2017 issue of Coro Coro is actually sold in October 2017). It's common practice in the industry nowadays since it used to take much longer for publications to reach stores in certain areas of Japan given that delivery could take days or up to weeks. While that is no longer the case, the practice from then remains unchanged. Or maybe I'm overthinking and all it means is that this guide will be usable throughout 2018 since there won't be an update.

The full in-depth guide is being released in December 2017, though there's another one that will be released on the same day as the games.

According to this, there will be a quick guide released on the same day as the games by Shogakukan, then a story guide and Alola Pokedex version on the left (¥1,200) by Overwrap on December 6th, followed by the National Dex (¥2,000) and the Essential Info (Data File?) + National Dex (¥4,500) on December 13th, which is the one on the right, I believe.

Last edited:
I've not seen her episodes in particular yet, but from what little i've seen (gifs, screens, bulbapedia summaryetc) she seems in line with game Lusamine... before her reveal of being crazy. Smothering Lillie, being obsessed with cuteness, the traits are there.
There's a major issue with this though, and it's the fact that in the game, Lusamine is actually very hateful (sort of) toward both her sons since they both ran away from home stealing a (pretty important) Pokemon and denying even the fact that Lusamine is their mother (and hiding it until it's necessary to reveal).
Lylie and Lusamine being on (at least apparent) good terms implies a huge difference in the situation, but then, Anime Lylie is already giving in to Pokemon and starting to develop a liking for them and training, very fitting with the USUM theme which suggested that Lylie will get in her "Z-powered form" waaaay sooner than in S/M.

My expectation for Lusamine in USUM is that she's not the bad guy, and the Aether foundation actually has good intentions in whatever they are doing.

This however does not exclude that in somewhat similar fashion to, say, ORAS captains, they are doing something for a good purpose (like, researching Ultrarifts for actual science) and do a terrible mistake and unleash a disastercrozma over Alola.

I have no idea in this scenario why Lylie would have Nebby with her, though. If I remember correctly, it was shown in one of the trailer that Lylie is met on same way (Cosmog on bridge), so we don't know if she *still* stole Nebby from Lusamine, or was entrusted with it, or just met it completely outside of Aether foundation.

Time will tell, USUM draws near.

There's a major issue with this though, and it's the fact that in the game, Lusamine is actually very hateful (sort of) toward both her sons since they both ran away from home stealing a (pretty important) Pokemon and denying even the fact that Lusamine is their mother (and hiding it until it's necessary to reveal).
Lylie and Lusamine being on (at least apparent) good terms implies a huge difference in the situation, but then, Anime Lylie is already giving in to Pokemon and starting to develop a liking for them and training, very fitting with the USUM theme which suggested that Lylie will get in her "Z-powered form" waaaay sooner than in S/M.
Lusamine & Lillie were on "good terms" (honestly seeing Lusamine smother Lillie with affection gave me the opposite vibe but w/e) because Lillie didn't steal away Cosmog. Lillie mentions Lusamine getting "so much worse" after Gladion stole Type Null and left, but that seems more in line with shoving "affection" on the other child and grooming them to meet their standards. The clefairy anecdote the summaries mention seems in line with this: Lillie thought clefairy was fine, but lusamine had it evolve regardless and ignoring her daughter about it to be cuter.
The next few episodes involve Gladion, Silvally & Lillie so I wouldn't be surprised if more light is shed, but in general I think taking Lusamine's behavior at face value is a bit weird. That's the entire point of her character in the games: at face value she's a(n overly) loving person who wants to help and research pokemon but also does some real bad things before going off the deep end.

Also we haven't seen Z-Form Lillie before she changes into the outfit in Aether Foundation after the climax. And that cutscene still seems to be the same.

I am confident there'll be a way different Lusamine from what we expect.

It would also work pretty well purely from merchandise point: it'd be pretty "boring" if Lusamine is exactly identical with exactly same plans as S/M, but simply ending way worse due to Necrozma.
Would feel way better to get to Lusamine and go "welp, this time she actually isn't a crazy bitch at all".

At least, that's my opinion on how a good "alternate universe" would sell.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Total speculation on my part, but: my prediction is that Lusamine has some sort of past with Necrozma (maybe something to do with Mohn?), and she's really obessed with UBs in USUM because she thinks summoning Necrozma is the only way to get her husband back or something like that. Solgaleo and Lunala may just be hosts for Necrozma, nothing more.

Maybe that's what she's calling a "monster" too. I personally want it to be a new UB, but its possible her Necrozma plan totally backfires and she realizes that Necrozma is just going to cause more problems instead of fixing her own.

At the very least, it'd be a different vibe than what SM did with impying that Nihilego poisoned her mind!

I am confident there'll be a way different Lusamine from what we expect.

It would also work pretty well purely from merchandise point: it'd be pretty "boring" if Lusamine is exactly identical with exactly same plans as S/M, but simply ending way worse due to Necrozma.
Would feel way better to get to Lusamine and go "welp, this time she actually isn't a crazy bitch at all".

At least, that's my opinion on how a good "alternate universe" would sell.
Or they know Lusamine is marketable as being a crazy villain and would continue to play that up exactly like they have been

I think Lusamine will be 90% the same except she gets attacked by Necrozma after fleeing to ultra space before we can go beat her up ourselves at Nihilego's ultra space.
Taking away her villainous aspects completely would be ~ultra~ lame

What makes it seem unlikely is that Mewtwo is available in both versions, not in only one.
What I meant is that there's no actual division (at least, not in that specific post), it simply shows some of the available ones.

If and which Pokes will be version exclusive might be revealed later on.

Will Marshadow and Darkrai be catchable with this method of legendaries being put in the game?
Very unlikely but not impossible.

Current Marshadow codes are only redeemable on S/M and most of them actually expire on 16 November, meaning USUM Marshadows will require different ways to obtain, and even if you trade them from S/M you won't have the Z-crystal.

Thanks for answering guys. Think the mythical pokemon could be a nice touch and add some end game replay ability. Never bought SM but I came back to play competitive two weeks ago, saw Marshadow, realized it was banned after I saw how adorable it was. Might buy just to get a code and transfer it over lol.

I'm guessing you'll be able to get Mew & Marshadow's Z Crystals by showing a Mew & Marshadow to different NPCs in the same way you can get the thousand legendary items by showing them to people.
Snorlax probably will too.

Maybe Pikashium too, but since USUM is getting its own cap pikachu there's less need for it

The cutscenes are fine
The inability to skip the cutscenes was the issue, particularly the string of long cutscenes you go through to get your starter (which appears to have been changed)
That's just what I think they mean. I'm no translation expert, but if I wanted to say that the story is twice as long, I would've said 物語の長さが倍になる rather than シナリオの量, which is quite literally the quantity of scenarios. It also just makes more sense to me that they'd advertise the cut scenes given the snippets of what we've seen via the trailers than the story itself, but that's just me.

In any case, there could be a new trailer with more new information in about 7 hours and 32 minutes from the time of this post. As usual, I'll keep an eye out for it and post my observations (and bad translations) of what I see in the Japanese trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)