SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, yeah.

It'll stink not being able to play the Gen 8+ games due to my lack of a Switch. (though seriously, that system looks like it has some cool ass shit) But I can see why they're doing it regardless. 3DS is getting a bit old after all.
Consider that the Switch game was mentioned for "late 2018, possibly 2019" so it's not like you are in any real hurry to obtain said Switch.

Plenty of time to find discounted offers or simply the price to drop a bit ;)

Consider that the Switch game was mentioned for "late 2018, possibly 2019" so it's not like you are in any real hurry to obtain said Switch.

I certainly hope it'll be 2019. 2018 makes like, just two year in Gen 7, all in Alola? Giving them time to refine the game will be good. Especially since recent main series games seemed to be rushed. In the meanwhile, they can do spinoff like another PMD.

From Serebii:

"A new part of Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon has been revealed through an interview held by Eurogamer Portugal. Within this, it revealed that the points you earn from Mantine Surf can then be used to get items, and most notably have Move Tutors teach your Pokémon moves that they couldn't learn in Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon. This follows on from previous instances of Move Tutors being added in enhanced versions, sequels and remakes. At present it isn't clear if the points are also obtained through other methods or if the points are Battle Points. We'll bring more details as they come so keep checking back"

So Move Tutors making a comeback, lets hope they aren't too gated behind tedious mechanics.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
From Serebii:

"A new part of Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon has been revealed through an interview held by Eurogamer Portugal. Within this, it revealed that the points you earn from Mantine Surf can then be used to get items, and most notably have Move Tutors teach your Pokémon moves that they couldn't learn in Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon. This follows on from previous instances of Move Tutors being added in enhanced versions, sequels and remakes. At present it isn't clear if the points are also obtained through other methods or if the points are Battle Points. We'll bring more details as they come so keep checking back"

So Move Tutors making a comeback, lets hope they aren't too gated behind tedious mechanics.
So... Finally potential for a reasonable way to get tutor moves. YES!

I honestly have always hated battle points, if that's actually unpopular I'll write about it in the unpopular opinion thread.

So... Finally potential for a reasonable way to get tutor moves. YES!

I honestly have always hated battle points, if that's actually unpopular I'll write about it in the unpopular opinion thread.
I actually think Mantine Surf is going to give Battle Points given this information, or at least something that can be exchanged for Battle Points.

It's good to see that they'll make a minigame useful, even if I don't think I'll be playing it more than once (unless it gives a lot of points).

It's Nintendo you are talking about.

It's Nintendo you are talking about.
Yeah, so? The 3DS had a huge price drop in its very first year on the shelves, and whoever thinks Nintendo isn't making a chaper, portable-only version of the Switch at some point down the road is delusional.

Anyway, not all surprised move tutors are somehow related to the new surfing mechanic. It explains why those white barracks in the world map were all set-up near the ocean shore. However, I really hope move tutors aren't gated behind it and that those points are still BPs, which are incredibly easy to rack-up elsewhere so long as you're not absolutely terrible at this game.

From Serebii:

It's nice that they found a more organic way to build up BP (or at least a veritable BP) by making it something you're likely to do during normal gameplay. A part of me is lol'ing at the potential exchange rate for surfing points (or Mantine points or w/e) to BP, knowing how historically time consuming it is to accrue BP versus the big numbers we were shown in the commercial featuring Mantine Surf.

I definitely agree that Mantine Surf is the best way to go about points for Move Tutors. The rate you got the battle points was rather slow, and after a while constant battling just felt like a massive slog. Mantine Surf looks wicked fun, and hopefully it makes things less of a chore.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I wonder if they'll also let you gain points from riding on Solgaleo/Lunala because for Lunala at least, they showed it going through rings which can be seen around the 1:04 mark. There was an earlier trailer that might've shown it going through one of the rings, but I can't remember which one. Still a pretty cool idea to get people to actually play Mantine Surf, and so far these games (pre-ordered them both a month ago) look really exciting.

I doubt we'd get any major news from now till the release of the game (it's only a month away), and personally I would think they wouldn't hide an alola forme from us, but they technically did do that with Golem and Diglett I think, so there's always hoping we'll get a cool surprise.

Getting move tutor moves from mantine surf is pretty dank since in-game mons can actually make use of tutor moves during the story like in BW2 / Platinum, except without the need to grind for some obscure, RNG based currency. Looking forward to see the moves they game to the new mons of the game.

Thinking about how we might access the legendary Pokémon domains in ultra space. I don’t think they’ll be instantly accessible or be simultaneously accessible at the same time. So, I’m theorizing

1) They are available on different days of the week.
2) They are contingent on having certain Pokémon in your party ( like in ORAS)
3) You have to hit a certain sequence of rings in ultra space.

The latter being the more interesting method imo.

Last edited:
So there's been a lot of interviews with Iwao and Ohmori lately. Here's one that should make the story a bit more interesting
Calling it now, Dulse and Zhosie are the ones that try to stop it while Moustache man tries to controll it. Also:
"There will not be a big difference where one version will be more satisfactory than the other.."
"One of the character pairs wants to control the Necrozma, while the other pair tries to stop it and defeat it"

I'm feeling a contradiction here.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So there's been a lot of interviews with Iwao and Ohmori lately. Here's one that should make the story a bit more interesting
Um, no, that should be a MAJOR difference! That right there would actually make one pair of Ultra Recon Squad more antagonistic. How many games story have we gone through where the main villains tried to control a Legendary? Team Aqua, Team Magma, Team Galactic, Team Plasma, Team Neo Plasma, Team Flare. And if their plan succeeded how many would have ended well for the world? Team Aqua would have drowned everyone, Team Magma would have fried everyone, Team Galactic would have destroyed the entire universe, Team Plasma would have created a tyranny, Team Neo Plasma would have frozen everyone, and finally Team Flare straight-up just wanted to kill everyone that wasn't a human member of Team Flare. So yeah, the ones trying to use Necrozma should be treated more like villains as they either intentionally or unwittingly allow Necrozma to do what it wants and doom not only the Pokemon World but who know how many other worlds connected to Ultra Space.

But, as Siggu said, all this will probably be is just some dialogue change, MAYBE a change in scenario resulting in battles happening at different times (though still the same amount of battles). If I had to make a guess, while the pair who wants to use Necrozma allows it to absorb Alola's light before capturing it and figuring out how to restore their world's light, the other group waits for it to absorb Alola's light to ambush it and capture it so they can analyze it to release the light it has absorbed. Eitherway both are misguided, one wanting to use Necrozma while another willing to sacrifice another world.

So... who do you think the pairs are?

Um, no, that should be a MAJOR difference! That right there would actually make one pair of Ultra Recon Squad more antagonistic. How many games story have we gone through where the main villains tried to control a Legendary? Team Aqua, Team Magma, Team Galactic, Team Plasma, Team Neo Plasma, Team Flare. And if their plan succeeded how many would have ended well for the world? Team Aqua would have drowned everyone, Team Magma would have fried everyone, Team Galactic would have destroyed the entire universe, Team Plasma would have created a tyranny, Team Neo Plasma would have frozen everyone, and finally Team Flare straight-up just wanted to kill everyone that wasn't a human member of Team Flare. So yeah, the ones trying to use Necrozma should be treated more like villains as they either intentionally or unwittingly allow Necrozma to do what it wants and doom not only the Pokemon World but who know how many other worlds connected to Ultra Space.

But, as Siggu said, all this will probably be is just some dialogue change, MAYBE a change in scenario resulting in battles happening at different times (though still the same amount of battles). If I had to make a guess, while the pair who wants to use Necrozma allows it to absorb Alola's light before capturing it and figuring out how to restore their world's light, the other group waits for it to absorb Alola's light to ambush it and capture it so they can analyze it to release the light it has absorbed. Eitherway both are misguided, one wanting to use Necrozma while another willing to sacrifice another world.

So... who do you think the pairs are?
Very likely the young guy and loli combo are those that will try to fight against Necrozma, while the maiden and mustache guy (sorry really bad at names) are those that try to control Necrozma. The character designs are very typical if that is the case.

That said, we are introduced to a game of Pokemon (namely Sun Moon) where it's the protagonists that controls the legendary, and the bad guys didn't do anything particularly harmful to everyone aside from summoning aliens from another dimension(s). Maybe it will just be like what you've said, another 5th guy/gang intentionally mislead them such that it could go total ham by absorbing everyone's light source and threaten other-worldly humans by throwing their world and everything into darkness like Darkrai in Explorers of Dark/Time/Sky (but that would be utterly stupid anyway), and/or either trying to capture or beat the living shit out of Necrozma would create an even more hazardous scenario instead.

"Control" also can be abbreviated with different meanings, judging from the fact that the duo from Moon mentioned that Necrozma is absorbing light of Alola, I tend to believe that even though they want their light back they wouldn't want others to be harmed just like they were harmed by Necrozma, and they seemed to be friendly to the player in the Ultra Metropolis. Maybe the more energetic and young duo in Sun is the typical "beat down the bad guy" type of guy to make Necrozma give out its light, while the older and more mature duo in Moon is trying to make Necrozma release the light it stole from their dimension through other reliable means.

Last edited:
I mean the percentage of myself using handheld mode compared to tv mode is about is about 75% handheld, and that's BEFORE a Pokemon game has even breathed on my Switch.

Unless I go out to a friend's house I'll probably use console mode more for some good nostalgia when I played the GameCube games religiously as a kid.

Regarding one of the pairs trying to beat Necrozma and the other controlling it, I think the "beat for good" pair can be treated the same way as the one wanting control if GF never forgets their treatment to every and all Pokemon. Despite all the crazy dex entries. I mean, everyone remember when with human coexisting, Pokemon can never do wrong, and if they do, they're just instinct-driven, innocent to what they do (like Hoopa), have a reason for that, or just controlled by someone evil. I won't be surprised if we end up protecting Necrozma in a way.

... granted we had evil Malamar in anime once, but other than that....

It's just a somewhat pessimistic point of consideration, though. I willingly think more differences would be good.

Last edited:
Regarding one of the pairs trying to beat Necrozma for good and the other controlling it, I think they can be treated as the same if GF never forgets their treatment to every and all Pokemon. Despite all the crazy dex entries. I mean, everyone remember when with human coexisting, Pokemon can never do wrong, and if they do, they're just instinct-driven, innocent to what they do (like Hoopa), have a reason for that, or just controlled by someone evil.

... granted we had evil Malamar in anime once, but other than that....

It's just a somewhat pessimistic point of consideration, though. I willingly think more differences would be good.
There's Darkrai from the Mystery Dungeon Explorers games, where he's only defeated by having his memory wiped.

But among Game Freak games... nope, not a single case. That I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)