SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Protean LO/Scarf Greninja runs Ice Beam nowadays. Even then, it seems you forgot to take into account the +1 Kommo-o gets on both defenses:

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Ice Beam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 140-166 (48.1 - 57%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Ice Beam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 214-252 (73.5 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I acknowledge my mistake on Ice Beam (that's why you don't take Calc sets as reference) but my logic behind the calc was "Kommo-o can switch into Greninja-Ash and comfortably Z-Move on it" (as it would Z-Move after the second hit). Which is the reason behind that unconvincing transformed Hydro Pump calc.

let me throw around calcs to make me look smart
Kommo-o is weird in terms of damage. For some of his biggest threats, like all Tapus except Bulu, AV Magearna, and Medicham they beat him 1v1.

+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 169-200 (60.1 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 212-250 (75.4 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Kommo-o: 252-300 (86.5 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (Kommo-o does 37% max with Focus Miss)
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Bulu is set-up bait for Kommo-o)
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 158-188 (43.5 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, he destroys Mawile and Diancie with Gardevoir only putting him in range.

+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 434-512 (164.3 - 193.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Diancie-Mega: 440-520 (182.5 - 215.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psyshock vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 188-224 (64.6 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Hyper voice is blocked)

So, most likely, he's a late game sweeper. Kill Tapus and walls, sweep with Kommo-o. On paper, he looks good for OU/BL. We'll see. Hope he isn't another Mimikyu.

Yay, new trailers. Some short thoughts on what was shown in them...

- The starter selection screen (or at least it appears so) has been changed, but we already knew that...
- A Rockruff running around close to its trainer... following Pokemon returns? It does seem to be optional though since the trainer is seen in a city without it later on in the trailer, I also get the impression that it is limited to certain Pokemon/areas, so I'm okay with it. I don't want to get negative so in order to stay in the positive moment I'll say that I might use and even like it this time around if it is better executed than in HG/SS. But it is too early to say anything about it before more information or some sort of confirmation is out regarding it.
- Some new foresty area which looks cool, three Exeggutor on what appears to be Exeggutor Island, then Kahili and Ryuki, a Vulpix on a bed... not much but small snippets. I also agree that the area Ryuki is in looks like the Vermilion Gym, didn't think of that when I first watched the video. Wonder what it means. 3 months and we'll know lol.
- A new building, maybe this has something to do with the new photo feature? Looks a little like that to me at least, there appears to be a camera in one of the windows.
- Updated map... main thing is of course the black cloud thingy over Poni Island. And the sea has a more red hue as if the map is showcasing dusk/twilight (between day and night or rather between Sun and Moon would be my guess as for what they are trying to do there).
- New protagonist designs... but we already knew about them. If the art we see is the official art for them, they look a lot more lively and less static compared to any previous official protagonist art. Interesting and unexpected. I'm not super sold on their new default designs though, but they'll probably grow on me and I'm definitely expecting character customization to return so yay, no worries!
- Then Lycanroc Dusk... but we already knew about it too. And I still like it.
- Kommo-o gets a new Z-move... it seems extremely OP to me. Probably a powered-up Clanging Scales. OHKO's both opposing dragons (it hits both opponents in Double Battles, does any currently existing Z-move even do that?) + all stats raise after useage. Ridiculous. But in a good way, I like Kommo-o and it needs more love. The animation looks a bit weird at first though... don't know if this is the case for other special Z-moves as I haven't used most of them in S/M (only seen Primarina's and Decidueye's special Z-moves so far), but I would guess most to all of them have extra animations compared to the regular Z-moves. Also, it appears that the animation of the move changes the entire background when it is performed. They are really going all out with it and that's something I like.
- The new trainer battle theme sounds quite good too.

Didn't watch the camera video becuase I don't really have time right now, maybe later. Checked snippets of it though and this feature seems rather cool and fun to use. Feels like a good upgrade from the Poke Finder, which will probably also still exist in these games.

After all of this, I'm starting to get hyped for the games. Though I still have so many questions about them. Are they going to be sequels, two third versions or something else? We'll get all the answers eventually, but the way they have been advertising new games lately are really tugging at my patience... oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait another month for more information.

Last edited:
Kommo-o's Z-Move seems OP, +1 for each stats, maybe it will get better usage in the next meta
I like the new lycanroc, pretty cool design, but that mon really need more usefull moves, hope it will get earthquake ^^

let me throw around calcs to make me look smart
Kommo-o is weird in terms of damage. For some of his biggest threats, like all Tapus except Bulu, AV Magearna, and Medicham they beat him 1v1.

+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 169-200 (60.1 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 212-250 (75.4 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Kommo-o: 252-300 (86.5 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (Kommo-o does 37% max with Focus Miss)
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Bulu is set-up bait for Kommo-o)
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 158-188 (43.5 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, he destroys Mawile and Diancie with Gardevoir only putting him in range.

+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 434-512 (164.3 - 193.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Diancie-Mega: 440-520 (182.5 - 215.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psyshock vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 188-224 (64.6 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Hyper voice is blocked)

So, most likely, he's a late game sweeper. Kill Tapus and walls, sweep with Kommo-o. On paper, he looks good for OU/BL. We'll see. Hope he isn't another Mimikyu.
It also barely manages a 3HKO on Celesteela if Seeded.

Well, at least it will feel at home in UU. Of course, this is assume it doesn't get some amazing tutor move.

Last edited:
I also barely manages a 3HKO on Celesteela if Seeded.

Well, at least it will feel at home in UU. Of course, this is assume it doesn't get some amazing tutor move.
Naw, it's gonna be stuck in BL limbo. There's no fairies there besides Klef and Toge. Clanging Scales for days after those boosts.

Naw, it's gonna be stuck in BL limbo. There's no fairies there besides Klef and Toge. Clanging Scales for days after those boosts.
... could be the case. I have little idea of UU, but seeing that Blissey cannot switch in after Stealth Rock...

252+ SpA Kommo-o Clamorous Soulblaze (assuming a BP of 185 like other signature Z-Moves) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 213-252 (29.8 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 414-488 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Combined damage: 87.7 - 103.5% (adding Leftovers it's effectively 81.7 - 97.5%)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WOOT! I know people have gone through the videos and site and picked everything apart already, but maybe I'll notice something no one didn't (or at least bring back the topic for discussion):

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon More Details Trailer
0:07: Encountering (& picking?) the Starters in a different location.
0:10: Pokemon running out on the field! It doesn't look like the Rockruff was following the player strictly so probably just a wild/other trainer Rockruff who's out on the field and you can interact with. Still, they're using those walking and running animations that were hidden away in the game's code, so could this just be a taste/hint of following Pokemon returning?
0:11: New Trial? Looks sort of like Verdant Cavern, but the guy (Trial Guide? Do they know where clothes specific to the island/trial they help support?) is dressed in traditional Japanese clothing which would more point toward Malie City.
0:12: Exeggutor Island, Magikarp Boat that takes you there, nothing different here really.
0:13: Kahili, hoping this means she has a role in the story (especially since in this shot she's not wearing her Z-Ring so could be an early encounter with her). Maybe let us go onto the golf course connected to Hano Grand Resort.
0:14: Ryuki also makes a main story appearance (he looks the same to me, can't tell why people would think he's older), though what's more interesting is the building that they're in. It looks nothing like any building we saw in Sun & Moon, and its set up exactly like Vermilion Gym. Sign of Gyms returning? Well not sure. There's a generic Black Belt standing where Lt. Surge was, where the Gym Leader should be. So I'm not quite sure what to make of this place, in addition Ryuki's appearance further confuses things as, if we were indeed going through the Vermilion Gym's puzzle, Ryuki would be talking to us either just as we solved the puzzle or have completed it as the electric barriers are down.
0:16: Nice try distracting us with a cute Alolan Vulpix, but I know those ludicrous amount of pockets anywhere, Aether Foundation employee! Not to mention we're also in one of their route bases.
0:17: Finally the empty lots are being filled. The one in Hau'oli City looks to be for the new Alola Photo Club feature I'll talk about in the last video. Interesting, everyone suspected them to be Gyms (especially after just showing us a building set up like Vermilion Gym) but now that doesn't seem to be the case. So what this means that anything can be in those empty lots now. What are you planning GF?...
0:19: Arceus dammit, Giratina, can you keep control of your Distortion World portals? :P Well, might as well talk about the new map. Click the links for the old SM map and new USUM map (credit to Bulbapedia).
  • Melemele Island:
    • Some changes have been made to Hau'oli City. The back strip where the Mall, Salon, and Apparel Shop is had their parking lot changes to more sidewalk and putting in plotted plants to separate the buildings and add decoration. The Mall's exterior also looked to have been changed, it doesn't look any taller but at the same times it sort of looks to have a third floor now. And as previously mentioned the empty lot now has a building which has been revealed to be the Alola Photo Club.
    • Route 2's motel now has a harbor, beach, and rock (cave?) structure behind it.
    • Kala'e Bay's small island strip has been made bigger.
  • Akala Island:
    • Heahea City's empty lot has been filled with a grey building. The Tide Song Hotel now has a beach behind it with a hut on it. And finally the Dimensional Research Lab has something on its roof and also a fountain(?) next to it.
    • Royal Avenue's empty lot has been filled by a white building with a red/orange roof. Wela Volcano also has stopped smoking.
    • Konokoni had its empty lot filled by a colorful building unlike the Alola Photo Club. I'm hoping it's not another Alola Photo Club, would seem like a waste. Anyway, the lighthouse area looks to have been redone so maybe the lighthouse will be accessible by normal means (they also added the gate which for some reason the old map doesn't have).
    • The Poke Pelago is now visible, but that could be because it's no longer a secret what it is.
  • Ula'ula Island:
    • Malie City's empty lot has been filled by a white building with a red/orange roof.
    • Secluded Shore has a building on it which sort of looks like an Aether Foundation route base.
    • The path leading up to Mount Lanakila looks to have been extended. Also the Pokemon League entrance area has been more cleared of snow.
    • Po Town, Route 17, and Ula'ula Meadow no longer have rain clouds.
    • While not changes, little oddities that I'm surprised didn't get any changes that we see from the new map: that Poke Ball platform on Route 14 and the empty lot on Route 15 looks to have nothing done with them.
  • Poni Island:
    • The rock barrier in the surfing area of Poni Wilds is gone. Does this mean we can't surf in their anymore? Or could this mean we can surf to Exeggutor Island without needing to be sailed their? In that case, could the Magikarp boat we saw in the trailer now be a permanent part of Exeggutor Island (it was tied to a tree)?
    • There's now a rock barrier in the waters of Poni Breaker Coast, meaning we can now surf there when we couldn't before.
    • THERE'S A DARK SWIRLING CLOUD OF DEATH ABOVE CASTING A SHADOW OVER ALL OF PONI ISLAND!
    • And another non-change oddity: the empty lot in Seafolk Village still looks to be empty.
Comparing the two, not much has changed (also I'm ignoring the added/change details to the ocean and sky/clouds). That's not bad of course, and there are changes both expected and not expected. Still, this could mean our adventures through Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon could be similar to Sun & Moon in terms of where we're led to go and there doesn't look to be that many extra added areas like BW2 had.
0:24: Yes, show us the dark swirling clouds of death above Poni Island... and then go into the new look of the playable characters which you already showed us.
0:35: And finally they talk about Lycanroc Dust.
0:52: Oh, and I guess we should also talk about that face of light. Now on the Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon website they revealed that, yes, Necrozma will have an extended role, even giving us a screenshot of the player encountering it at the Altar (specifically the Altar of the Sunne though it'll probably be the Altar of the version you're playing).

BTW this is right now all that the website really as to offer if terms of anything new. Also they talk about how the mascots of Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are new Pokemon who look to be related to Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma... like we're some kind of idiots. But ignoring that, I'm keeping to my theory that the new forms for Solgaleo and Lunala is because Necrozma sheds the shell body it has to unleash its true form, an Ultra Beast made of light. It originally grew the shell to protect itself and survive after being transported to the Pokemon World from Ultra Space via a Ultra Wormhole in ancient times, but with a Solgaleo and Lunala it can attach its shell armor to one of them to somehow sustain itself in its true form, maybe having the armor feed off the light they generate.

New Z-Moves Trailer
0:04: First off new version of the Sun & Moon Trainer theme, nice.
0:22: Hmm, that's odd. So Kommonium Z looks to be one of those new Z-Crystals you have to turn to activate, yet the trainer character didn't do that with the Z-Crystal. Is their an additional function to the Z-Ring we don't know about which has the trainer twist the Z-Crystal for a different effect?
And from here on I'm just going to post what the site had to say about "Clangorous Soulblaze":
If a Kommo-o knowing the move Clanging Scales is given a piece of the exclusive Z-Crystal Kommonium Z to hold, it will be able to use the Dragon-type Z-Move Clangorous Soulblaze.

Its additional effects are extremely powerful, raising the user's Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed all by one stage. And this surprising move is the first Z-Move to be able to attack all opponents when battling against multiple Pokemon.
Yikes. A spread Z-Move that also increases all non-HP stats by 1 stage (not to mention it'll probably have a Power of 210 since Clanging Scale's Power is 110 which is similar to Volt Tackle & Giga Impact for normal Pikachu and Snorlax's Z-Move). Also since it didn't mention it was a chance increase does that mean it's a guaranteed increase? That just seems a bit OP, course not that GF doesn't mind doing that time to time *obligatory mention of Mega Rayquaza here*. And to be fair Kommo-o kind of needed some help due to having lower than ideal Speed and its Signature Move is going off the weaker (though still strong) offense stat (serious GF, is it that hard to either make an attacking Signature move go off the Pokemon's highest offense stat or having the Pokemon's highest offense stat be the category of its signature move? Is this is like balance thing... which fails since it just means we'll go for the strong non-signature move?). Course, that was really all that it had going against it (and a quad weakness to Fairy) and this kind of feels its overcompensating for it. But whatever, we'll see what happens. At least also give Kommo-o some fighting moves, at least Superpower if not Close Combat.
BTW, TOMY is releasing the toy of the new Z-Ring:

Now, the image link calls the toy "Z Power Ring". Now this could be just what the toy is called, though then again if that was the case why put the "Power" in the middle of the "Z" and "Ring"?

Alola Photo Club
Looks like their expanding upon both the Rotom Dex's Poke Finder and Trainer ID photo by letting us pose our own pictures with our Pokemon. Looking through the video I see the following features:

0:08: Starting on the main screen (which is the pink camera on the side buttons), looks like the top left button lets us we switch between taking a photo of our Pokemon in Pokemon Refresh or this mode where both Pokemon and trainer can pose together. The top right button lets us choose what Z-Move pose the trainer can do, including the Pikachu dance pose. The bottom left button causes the Pokemon to do its idle animation while the right bottom button has the trainer do the Z-Move pose (it turns into a pause button when it's playing though its unclear if pressing it pauses the position the trainer is at the time or completely stops the animation and returns the trainer to the default standing pose). Finally the very bottom button takes the picture.
1:15: The purple camera side button controls where you place the camera for the shot. You can adjust how close/far away it is, if its leaning more towards the Pokemon or trainer, how high/low it is, and finally gives you four angles you can take the shot (front, left side, right side, back).
1:29: The yellow Pokemon placement button moves the Pokemon to where you want them around the trainer. It doesn't look like the trainer can move, only the Pokemon. This is backed up that there's a green Pokemon turn button and a blue turn trainer button, two separate buttons (which seems unnecessary, you're doing the actions on the bottom screen so why not have the moving and turning all in one button?).
2:20: Finally you'll be able to add in frames and prop pictures to put onto the photo. As you play through the game you'll get more, not too different from Gen V's Pokemon Musicals and its props.
2:31: Now I'm not sure how you get this screen, maybe with the "i" button? Anyway this screen lets you choose the Models (could their be more than just the Pokemon by itself and "Pokemon and Trainer"? Is their a choice for a picture of the whole party or with notable NPCs?), Pokemon your taking a picture of/with, the Background (and like the props you'll probably unlock more based on areas you go to in the game), what angle you're taking the photo from (aka Composition), and your Outfit (which includes the PokeRide gear, though aside from that I can't think of any other clothes unless they'll give you special clothing options or able to create clothing sets just for photos).

Anyway, looks like a neat little feature they had fun implementing. I'll be sure to take a few with my team after important events. I'm guessing you can also upload them to the PGL to share them with other trainers.

Well, that's it for the new news. Next is responding to other's comments.

Last edited:
Here's a list of mons from OU that can revenge kill Kommo-o after CSB:

• Tapu Koko
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 155-183 (55.1 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 348-421 (119.5 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Tapu Lele
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 600-708 (206.1 - 243.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Tapu Fini
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 97-115 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 95.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 252-300 (86.5 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

• Hoopa-U
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 195-231 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Psychic vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 344-408 (118.2 - 140.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• AV Magearna w/ Fairy moves
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 146-172 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 600-708 (206.1 - 243.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Modest Gardevoir w/ Psychic (or if you're stupid enough to not run Soundproof)
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir-Mega: 170-200 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psychic vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 248-294 (85.2 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

• Nihilego w/ Dazzling Gleam
+1 252 SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 195-229 (54.3 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Nihilego Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 332-392 (114 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• Scarf Latios with rocks
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 272-324 (93.4 - 111.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

WOOT! I know people have gone through the videos and site and picked everything apart already, but maybe I'll notice something no one didn't (or at least bring back the topic for discussion):

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon More Details Trailer
0:07: Encountering (& picking?) the Starters in a different location.
0:10: Pokemon running out on the field! It doesn't look like the Rockruff was following the player strictly so probably just a wild/other trainer Rockruff who's out on the field and you can interact with. Still, they're using those walking and running animations that were hidden away in the game's code, so could this just be a taste/hint of following Pokemon returning?
0:11: New Trial? Looks sort of like Verdant Cavern, but the guy (Trial Guide? Do they know where clothes specific to the island/trial they help support?) is dressed in traditional Japanese clothing which would more point toward Malie City.
0:12: Exeggutor Island, Magikarp Boat that takes you there, nothing different here really.
0:13: Kahili, hoping this means she has a role in the story (especially since in this shot she's not wearing her Z-Ring so could be an early encounter with her). Maybe let us go onto the golf course connected to Hano Grand Resort.
0:14: Ryuki also makes a main story appearance (he looks the same to me, can't tell why people would think he's older), though what's more interesting is the building that they're in. It looks nothing like any building we saw in Sun & Moon, and its set up exactly like Vermilion Gym. Sign of Gyms returning? Well not sure. There's a generic Black Belt standing where Lt. Surge was, where the Gym Leader should be. So I'm not quite sure what to make of this place, in addition Ryuki's appearance further confuses things as, if we were indeed going through the Vermilion Gym's puzzle, Ryuki would be talking to us either just as we solved the puzzle or have completed it as the electric barriers are down.
0:16: Nice try distracting us with a cute Alolan Vulpix, but I know those ludicrous amount of pockets anywhere, Aether Foundation employee! Not to mention we're also in one of their route bases.
0:17: Finally the empty lots are being filled. The one in Hau'oli City looks to be for the new Alola Photo Club feature I'll talk about in the last video. Interesting, everyone suspected them to be Gyms (especially after just showing us a building set up like Vermilion Gym) but now that doesn't seem to be the case. So what this means that anything can be in those empty lots now. What are you planning GF?...
0:19: Arceus dammit, Giratina, can you keep control of your Distortion World portals? :P Well, might as well talk about the new map. Click the links for the old SM map and new USUM map (credit to Bulbapedia).
  • Melemele Island:
    • Some changes have been made to Hau'oli City. The back strip where the Mall, Salon, and Apparel Shop is had their parking lot changes to more sidewalk and putting in plotted plants to separate the buildings and add decoration. The Mall's exterior also looked to have been changed, it doesn't look any taller but at the same times it sort of looks to have a third floor now. And as previously mentioned the empty lot now has a building which has been revealed to be the Alola Photo Club.
    • Route 2's motel now has a harbor, beach, and rock (cave?) structure behind it.
    • Kala'e Bay's small island strip has been made bigger.
  • Akala Island:
    • Lot next to the Pokemon Center has been filled with a grey building. The Tide Song Hotel now has a beach behind it with a hut on it. And finally the Dimensional Research Lab has something on its roof and also a fountain(?) next to it.
    • Royal Avenue's empty lot has been filled by a white building with a red/orange roof. Wela Volcano also has stopped smoking.
    • Konokoni had its empty lot filled by a colorful building unlike the Alola Photo Club. I'm hoping it's not another Alola Photo Club, would seem like a waste. Anyway, the lighthouse area looks to have been redone so maybe the lighthouse will be accessible by normal means (they also added the gate which for some reason the old map doesn't have).
    • The Poke Pelago is now visible, but that could be because it's no longer a secret what it is.
  • Ula'ula Island:
    • Malie City's empty lot has been filled by a white building with a red/orange roof.
    • Secluded Shore has a building on it which sort of looks like an Aether Foundation route base.
    • The path leading up to Mount Lanakila looks to have been extended. Also the Pokemon League entrance area has been more cleared of snow.
    • Po Town, Route 17, and Ula'ula Meadow no longer have rain clouds.
    • While not changes, little oddities that I'm surprised didn't get any changes that we see from the new map: that Poke Ball platform on Route 14 and the empty lot on Route 15 looks to have nothing done with them.
  • Poni Island:
    • The rock barrier in the surfing area of Poni Wilds is gone. Does this mean we can't surf in their anymore? Or could this mean we can surf to Exeggutor Island without needing to be sailed their? In that case, could the Magikarp boat we saw in the trailer now be a permanent part of Exeggutor Island (it was tied to a tree)?
    • There's now a rock barrier in the waters of Poni Breaker Coast, meaning we can now surf there when we couldn't before.
    • THERE'S A DARK SWIRLING CLOUD OF DEATH ABOVE CASTING A SHADOW OVER ALL OF PONI ISLAND!
    • And another non-change oddity: the empty lot in Seafolk Village still looks to be empty.
Comparing the two, not much has changed (also I'm ignoring the added/change details to the ocean and sky/clouds). That's not bad of course, and there are changes both expected and not expected. Still, this could mean our adventures through Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon could be similar to Sun & Moon in terms of where we're led to go and there doesn't look to be that many extra added areas like BW2 had.
0:24: Yes, show us the dark swirling clouds of death above Poni Island... and then go into the new look of the playable characters which you already showed us.
0:35: And finally they talk about Lycanroc Dust.
0:52: Oh, and I guess we should also talk about that face of light. Now on the Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon website they revealed that, yes, Necrozma will have an extended role, even giving us a screenshot of the player encountering it at the Altar (specifically the Altar of the Sunne though it'll probably be the Altar of the version you're playing).

BTW this is right now all that the website really as to offer if terms of anything new. Also they talk about how the mascots of Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are new Pokemon who look to be related to Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma... like we're some kind of idiots. But ignoring that, I'm keeping to my theory that the new forms for Solgaleo and Lunala is because Necrozma sheds the shell body it has to unleash its true form, an Ultra Beast made of light. It originally grew the shell to protect itself and survive after being transported to the Pokemon World from Ultra Space via a Ultra Wormhole in ancient times, but with a Solgaleo and Lunala it can attach its shell armor to one of them to somehow sustain itself in its true form, maybe having the armor feed off the light they generate.

New Z-Moves Trailer
0:04: First off new version of the Sun & Moon Trainer theme, nice.
0:22: Hmm, that's odd. So Kommonium Z looks to be one of those new Z-Crystals you have to turn to activate, yet the trainer character didn't do that with the Z-Crystal. Is their an additional function to the Z-Ring we don't know about which has the trainer twist the Z-Crystal for a different effect?
And from here on I'm just going to post what the site had to say about "Clangorous Soulblaze":

Yikes. A spread Z-Move that also increases all non-HP stats by 1 stage (not to mention it'll probably have a Power of 210 since Clanging Scale's Power is 110 which is similar to Volt Tackle & Giga Impact for normal Pikachu and Snorlax's Z-Move). Also since it didn't mention it was a chance increase does that mean it's a guaranteed increase? That just seems a bit OP, course not that GF doesn't mind doing that time to time *obligatory mention of Mega Rayquaza here*. And to be fair Kommo-o kind of needed some help due to having lower than ideal Speed and its Signature Move is going off the weaker (though still strong) offense stat (serious GF, is it that hard to either make an attacking Signature move go off the Pokemon's highest offense stat or having the Pokemon's highest offense stat be the category of its signature move? Is this is like balance thing... which fails since it just means we'll go for the strong non-signature move?). Course, that was really all that it had going against it (and a quad weakness to Fairy) and this kind of feels its overcompensating for it. But whatever, we'll see what happens. At least also give Kommo-o some fighting moves, at least Superpower if not Close Combat.
BTW, TOMY is releasing the toy of the new Z-Ring:

Now, the image link calls the toy "Z Power Ring". Now this could be just what the toy is called, though then again if that was the case why put the "Power" in the middle of the "Z" and "Ring"?

Alola Photo Club
Looks like their expanding upon both the Rotom Dex's Poke Finder and Trainer ID photo by letting us pose our own pictures with our Pokemon. Looking through the video I see the following features:

0:08: Starting on the main screen (which is the pink camera on the side buttons), looks like the top left button lets us we switch between taking a photo of our Pokemon in Pokemon Refresh or this mode where both Pokemon and trainer can pose together. The top right button lets us choose what Z-Move pose the trainer can do, including the Pikachu dance pose. The bottom left button causes the Pokemon to do its idle animation while the right bottom button has the trainer do the Z-Move pose (it turns into a pause button when it's playing though its unclear if pressing it pauses the position the trainer is at the time or completely stops the animation and returns the trainer to the default standing pose). Finally the very bottom button takes the picture.
1:15: The purple camera side button controls where you place the camera for the shot. You can adjust how close/far away it is, if its leaning more towards the Pokemon or trainer, how high/low it is, and finally gives you four angles you can take the shot (front, left side, right side, back).
1:29: The yellow Pokemon placement button moves the Pokemon to where you want them around the trainer. It doesn't look like the trainer can move, only the Pokemon. This is backed up that there's a green Pokemon turn button and a blue turn trainer button, two separate buttons (which seems unnecessary, you're doing the actions on the bottom screen so why not have the moving and turning all in one button?).
2:20: Finally you'll be able to add in frames and prop pictures to put onto the photo. As you play through the game you'll get more, not too different from Gen V's Pokemon Musicals and its props.
2:31: Now I'm not sure how you get this screen, maybe with the "i" button? Anyway this screen lets you choose the Models (could their be more than just the Pokemon by itself and "Pokemon and Trainer"? Is their a choice for a picture of the whole party or with notable NPCs?), Pokemon your taking a picture of/with, the Background (and like the props you'll probably unlock more based on areas you go to in the game), what angle you're taking the photo from (aka Composition), and your Outfit (which includes the PokeRide gear, though aside from that I can't think of any other clothes unless they'll give you special clothing options or able to create clothing sets just for photos).

Anyway, looks like a neat little feature they had fun implementing. I'll be sure to take a few with my team after important events. I'm guessing you can also upload them to the PGL to share them with other trainers.

Well, that's it for the new news. Next is responding to other's comments.
Thank you for condensing everything into one post, having almost brain farted my own ideas I was starting to lose track of top and bottom and this makes everything far more manageable. Time for me to try the same in reacting to yours.

I'd agree with you on everything through the first trailer, Ryuki's appearance could still be in a vermillion esq gym and the shot is caught at an initial greeting before or after the gym challenge has begun/finished.
The Vulpix shot when I saw it I was hoping for possibly the hand to be that of someone more significant however from the looks of it, it is just a regular Aether Grunt (This however does set the precedent Aether is still very much active unlike in the same disbanded way Plasma and Rocket were portrayed in BW2 and HGSS respectively) Could the Aether route spaces be used as secondary pokemon centres? Just as a wild speculation.

The Distortion/Portal/Ultraspace Wormhole/Necrozma's house mat is probably caused by Necrozma mid game, and your idea on the shell of Necrozma makes sense, only thing I'd say is the light pokemon/thing from the trailers could be how Necrozma is viewed in Ultraspace and so we get almost a Minior style form for out of ultraspace where you will have the non ultraspace, non armoured Necrozma but then the light being is what you see in Ultraspace. If that makes sense and everyone follows.

I hold out for the possibility of a true gym setup but I believe we will get a half way house before truly returning to gyms in Gen VIII.

I think this covers my thoughts.

Edit: Z-Power Ring, possibly 3 crystals? (steal from NJNP)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It seems like all of the new Z-moves are Pokemon-exclusive.
They're kind of limited of where they can go with new Z-Moves aside from Pokemon-exclusive. Like here are some other ideas I thought of:

Group/Family Exclusive: Sort of done with the Island Guardians, basically a Pokemon exclusive move that multiple Pokemon can use. Like, since Z-Moves aren't restricted to fully evolved Pokemon, I don't see why an entire evolution line can't have an exclusive Z-Move all members can use. Also how about Pokemon who are grouped together like the Fossil Pokemon, Eeveelutions (why should Eevee have all the fun?), Pika-clones, Ultra Beasts, certain Legendary groupings, etc..
Body Shape Exclusive: Trying to think of another unique way to give all Pokemon a Z-Move option, I thought about the special Dex traits they give Pokemon that is just their for flavor. Things like Footprint, Color, and Body Shape. While not sure if anything can be done with Footprint of Color, I think Body Shape might have potential. How I think it would work is that a Pokemon with the Z-Crystal of its Body Shape will activate the Z-Move with a STAB move. There's also Egg Group but I think that's a bit too obtuse (plus three are water-based and two are named after types: Fairy and Dragon).
Move/Ability + Move Exclusive: Here I'm thinking a certain Move or an Ability + Move combo could make an interesting Z-Move. Like how about a Pokemon with the Ability Iron Fist getting a Z-Move upon using a punching move? Or how about a Z-Move that works off Hidden Power of Metronome?

Of course, USUM is just a third version/second pair so it also makes sense they'd "hold back" on any major reworkings of the Z-Moves and instead just introduce new Pokemon specific ones.

How long until people use Alola Photo Club to make JoJo references?
Too late, people have been making JoJo references since the first time we saw Gladion and his JoJo posing and we're able to change our battle intro pose/ball throwing. :P

We don't know if it will still be lacking in Fighting-type coverage. Come on, give it Aura Sphere... so many things learn the move even though they shouldn't...
The first Fighting move for a Physical attacker you suggest is Aura Sphere and not Superpower (which works well with Clanging Scale as once the Attack stat is too low to be effective they can start focusing on their Special stats) or Close Combat (which works flavor wise as one aspect about the Jangmo-o family is that when fighting they lose scales which is their armor)?

Ok, Kommo-O new Z-Move made me think something, Will we have more offensive Z-Move with secondary effects? For now only Genesis Supernova and Clangorous Soulblaze fall in this category, this could be interesting and add -even another- layer of depth to Z-Moves concept

Not waiting too mucho about ingame, but I'm pretty sure this will have a very interesting effect in metagame
It's kind of strange not all the exclusive Z-Moves have a secondary effect. I get why the elemental ones don't but why not the ones specially made for one Pokemon?

Now that I look at the Alola Photo feature... it would be nice if the Pokemon could battle while dressed, but well.
Gotta wait till Gen V remakes for that. ;P

And now that I we'll be getting news more frequently, here's my hopes for the things US/UM will address that I didn't like in SM:
  1. Reintroduce the National Dex. I have one of each of 721 Pokemon of Gens 1-6 and I have little motivation to add versions of all of them to SM because since there's no National Dex, and you can't bring them back to Gen 6, what's the point of getting one of each in SM? There's nothing else in game to show for it. Not getting my hopes up for this though.
  2. Improve the reinforcement call rates for evolved/high level Pokemon. It was so aggravating trying to grind EXP in SM because the wild battles for the higher level mons on Poni Island only called an ally successful for like 1 out every 12 attempts. As if S.O.S grinding wasn't annoying enough. Speaking of which...
  3. Let us rematch trainers freely. Whooping the Elite Four over and over gets boring real fast. Not to mention all the cutscenes and junk. Also...
  4. Fix the blasted EXP gain formula! I don't get why they made Hyper Training only possible at level 100 while making the end game grind unbearable.
  5. Wicked Tutors. But this is to be expected honestly. Really I just want to see more Alolan Pokemon viable. (Cough*Give Lycanroc all Fangs and Play Rough*Hack*And a Ground move too while you're at it*Horf*). Ahem sorry. Nasty cough.
  6. Alolan Forms for Pokemon OUTSIDE of Gen 1. Pokemon like Magcargo, Maractus, and Whiscash could use an overhaul too you know.
  7. Give us a faster way to get precise EVs outside of battle. Super Training was perfect as we could EV train our mons the moment we got them with ease. The Poke Polego by contrast takes forever.
  8. Allow the main character to EMOTE. Seeing the main character with a happy dandy face while Lusamine turned into an eldritch abomination was such a mood killer.
  9. Make the Alolan mons more common please.
  10. Let us explore Kalos in the post game.
Well I think that rounds it out. Here's hoping US and UM really deliver this time around.
1. If they bring back the National Dex only have it just show the Pokemon you own, don't have it record if you have caught that Pokemon before. I don't want to go back to feeling I need to fill the National Dex (even though I'm completely of doing so). I feel needing to fill out the National Dex takes away from focusing on the Regional Dex (who cares about filling the regional when you need to fill the National) and also prevents new players from achieving what should be a basic goal in any Pokemon game.
2. How about also including a post game location with high leveled Pokemon to train against. Also rework on Pokemon distribution, aka don't put Rattata, Yungoos, Wingull family everywhere.
3. I'd would more prefer them focusing on letting us battle the important NPCs normally and let us rematch them. Though having a VS Seeker for the route trainers wouldn't be bad either.
4. Two fixes for Hyper Training: (1) Remove the level restriction (if you don't want us using it during the main game push it to post game feature), (2) Lower the amount of shards needed for a Silver Bottle cap (I think 10 of each would be fine, not 40 each).
5. If they make the elemental fangs tutors which they haven't in the past, just the punches.
6. At best we may get Gen II Alolan Pokemon with the Gen II games being re-released and its right next to Kanto (not to mention Malie City was settled by Johto people). I think the point of only having Alolan version of Kanto (and hopefully Johto) Pokemon is to show the relation the two regions have, a reflection of the relation between Hawaii and Japan. Wouldn't mind seeing other gen Pokemon getting Alolan forms, but I'm working within the rules that GF seem to have made for themselves.
7. Can't you do that at the PC now?
8. Definitely. You can even go one step further and give us the option of what emotion our trainer does (within context of the scene).
9. I think that would be done when more get added, right now there's only a handful so it's understandable why we don't see them a lot.
10. I would rather be allowed to explore Ultra Space.

- A Rockruff running around close to its trainer... following Pokemon returns? It does seem to be optional though since the trainer is seen in a city without it later on in the trailer, I also get the impression that it is limited to certain Pokemon/areas, so I'm okay with it. I don't want to get negative so in order to stay in the positive moment I'll say that I might use and even like it this time around if it is better executed than in HG/SS. But it is too early to say anything about it before more information or some sort of confirmation is out regarding it.

(...)

After all of this, I'm starting to get hyped for the games. Though I still have so many questions about them. Are they going to be sequels, two third versions or something else? We'll get all the answers eventually, but the way they have been advertising new games lately are really tugging at my patience... oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait another month for more information.
I think that's a wild Rockruff as it's not exactly following behind the trainer. Still it shows a deeper intractability with Pokemon we see on the field. That said all Pokemon have walking/running animations. And if you're not sure how you feel about it, I suggest checking them out on Youtube. They put a lot of thought how some Pokemon would walk/run and some are clever and funny (for example, instead of running Graveler rolls). It gives the Pokemon species a lot of personality.

Personally I'm thinking "third versions", or "alternate paired versions".

Thank you for condensing everything into one post, having almost brain farted my own ideas I was starting to lose track of top and bottom and this makes everything far more manageable. Time for me to try the same in reacting to yours.

I'd agree with you on everything through the first trailer, Ryuki's appearance could still be in a vermillion esq gym and the shot is caught at an initial greeting before or after the gym challenge has begun/finished.
The Vulpix shot when I saw it I was hoping for possibly the hand to be that of someone more significant however from the looks of it, it is just a regular Aether Grunt (This however does set the precedent Aether is still very much active unlike in the same disbanded way Plasma and Rocket were portrayed in BW2 and HGSS respectively) Could the Aether route spaces be used as secondary pokemon centres? Just as a wild speculation.

The Distortion/Portal/Ultraspace Wormhole/Necrozma's house mat is probably caused by Necrozma mid game, and your idea on the shell of Necrozma makes sense, only thing I'd say is the light pokemon/thing from the trailers could be how Necrozma is viewed in Ultraspace and so we get almost a Minior style form for out of ultraspace where you will have the non ultraspace, non armoured Necrozma but then the light being is what you see in Ultraspace. If that makes sense and everyone follows.
Glad you liked my post. :D

As I said, I don't know what to take of that scene. "Maybe Ryuki is a Gym Leader?". But why rehash the Vermilion Gym, especially for a Dragon-type trainer? Also why is their a Black Belt standing where the Gym Leader should be? If it is a Gym and let's assume Ryuki is there because he's challenging the Alolan League, there has to be a new twist to the puzzle. For one thing, the Vermilion Gym puzzle in 3D? That's kind of boring. Also for a game trying to reinvent how things are done in the franchise, a unique twist on the old puzzle would help establish this (look how well that works in Sonic Mania).

Well I'm still going these are alternate paired versions. Though even if this is a sequel, we know the Aether Foundation has reformed under Gladion's command. Infact I'm disappointed that it's looking like alternate paired versions as I want to see the continuation of the story and not an alternate timeline version, but I'll first have to see what is the story they want to tell.

I think I got what you're saying, it's sort of like Giratina being in its Origin Forme in the Distortion World but changing to its Altered Form in the Pokemon World unless it's holding the Griseous Orb. Still doesn't change players would want to use Necrozma's true form so need to find a way to have it exist outside of Ultra Space.

Oh, Kommo-o... I wonder what its Z-moHOLY SHIT DID YOU GUYS SEE THAT? That is LIT.
Also, I've been kinda disconnected from pokemon lately so I'm not really sure if it's something new but wow, the artbox for USUM is drop dead gorgeous!

A list that I made of possible uses of turning the Z-ring in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. While I don't think that it's related to any new Z-crystals or is exclusive to Prism Pokémon (Solgaleo and Lunala, and likely including, and probably only to, other Ultra Beasts), or anything that adds more options/clutter to the battle menu, I am listing everything that I think of anyway. Note that I made this list like a few weeks ago before the Z-Power Ring was revealed or even Dusk form Lycanrock.

*Prism Evolution

Mega Stone for Ultra Beasts. May use Z-moves afterwards.

*Prism Deevolution

A Ultra Beast exclusive Z-move that removes their prism form.

*Ultra Z-crystal

Ultra Beast/Prism Pokémon only Z-move.

*Move specific Z-crystal

Like the Pokémon exclusive Z-moves except for specific moves only, allowing for secondary effect. (Z-Ice Beam with 30% of freezing for example. Wait, now you want to use it with Serene Grace. Oh boy.)

*Totem/boss mode

Gains a start-of-turn stat boost like the Totem Pokémon and Ultra Beasts get. Uses your Z-move usage when used.

*Backlash Z-move

A more powerful Z-move with a negitive effect like recoil or stat drop(s).

*Conditional Z-move

Can only be used under certain conditions, like after a KO, or with certain Pokémon.

*Counter Z-move

Can be used to stop/respond to opposing Z-moves. Uses your Z-move for the battle when used (and therefore you can't counter if you used your Z-move already).

*Super Z-move

Really powerful Z-moves.

*Species’s type only Z-move

Z-moves only usable by Pokémon of the same type as opposed to moves of the same type.

*2nd Z-move use

Use 2 Z-moves that are the same/different in battle.

*2nd Z-move option

Have a second choice of which Z-move to use (example: a choice between the regular Z-move or a less powerful Z-move with a chance to burn)

*Anti Ultra/Prism Z-effect

Usable only against Ultra Beasts with/without prism form (required for story, optional for regular battles).

*Regional Z-move

Exclusive for/changes with Alolan/Kanto Pokémon.

*Crystal free Z-move

Both the trainer and the Pokémon don't need to hold a Z-crystal, only the trainer, allowing for a different held item.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
TrainerX493:
Let's not get too crazy here:

Prism Evolution: So after moving away from Mega Evolution due to a perceived flaw in it that would need to be worked out, they'll bring it back for the Ultra Beasts? Now I'm not saying you this isn't possible, Z-Moves essentially work like Mega Evolution, but at the same time if they're going to do a Mega Evolution-esque thing why not just bring back Mega Evolution?
Prism De-Evolution: So a super attack that reverts a Pokemon in an alternate form back to their original form? Hm, I guess an idea like that could work. Alternate Forms aren't exactly like Mega Evolutions, especially if you're losing the stronger alternate form.
Ultra Z-Move: If the Island Guardians can sure a Z-Move I don't see why the Ultra Beasts can't. That said I would think if they gave Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma an exclusive Z-Move it'll be specified to them or they'll share one separate from the Ultra Beasts.
Move Specific Z-Crystal: I had a similar idea, though it'll turn it into a Z-Move instead of just powering up the move. Like a Z-Move for Pokemon with Iron Fist + Punching move or coming up with something special for Hidden Power or Metronome.
Totem/Boss Mode: I suppose that could work, only problem I see with it is the specifics. What stat would it increase? Would their be a Z-Crystal for each of the non-HP stats (making it rather limited) or would there only be one that increases a Pokemon's highest stats (more versatile, but they'd need to be careful of balancing here or else it'll be a Mega Evolution situation all over again).
Backlash Z-move/Super Z-move: Combined these two together as "Super Z-Move" doesn't make sense, at least not without some negative effect. But even then, when does more become too much power? The offensive Z-Moves already have crazy high Power that is either OHKOing or doing enough damage the opponent is as good as knocked out next move. Why should I risk a negative effect for slightly more Power when plain Z-Moves are working perfectly fine? Only Z-Moves I can see having a negative side effect would be Status Z-Moves, but even than the positive would have to outweigh the negative by quite a bit.
Conditional Z-move: Honestly when aren't Z-Moves "conditional"? :P But I get what you mean and maybe. Not sure about when a Pokemon faints, but maybe something for when certain weather is out? Afflicted by a certain Status Ailment? Of course the "condition" can't be too specific otherwise it'll be useless. Remember, you can only have one Z-Move so all Z-Moves are competing against each other if they aren't an exclusive.
Counter Z-move: Too conditional, unless your talking about a Z-Move that disables Z-Moves (and Mega Evolutions) from being used after activated then maybe though that'd just be one new Z-Crystal. I don't see their being a "beam struggle" Z-Move if that's what you mean (though thinking about it would look cool and something I'd like to see done in the anime).
Species's Type Only Z-move: AKA how I originally thought Z-Moves would work. I'm wondering if maybe instead of doing that why not have the elemental Z-Moves have an additional effect when used by the Pokemon of the same type?
2nd Z-move Use/Option: That kind of removes the points of a Z-Move: a super risk/reward choice. You have one super move and only one super move so you better choose wisely what it is and when to use it. Sounds harsh, but when used right they're OHKO or can dish out a ton of damage so it's not a bad deal. At best maybe there can be a duel-type Z-Move but that would be probably a Pokemon exclusive.
Anti Ultra/Prism Z-Effect: Very conditional. Sure you can make it OHKO the targeted Pokemon, but once again a plain elemental Z-Move does that job either just fine or does enough damage a second normal attack would finish the job.
Regional Z-Move: Too obtuse I feel. Like there's a difference between a group of Pokemon, say like the Fossil Pokemon, who have an easily relatable theme and Alolan Pokemon who only theme is they adapted to the Alola region in different ways which isn't easily as themable.
Crystal Free Z-Move: Once again, that removes the points of a Z-Move: a super risk/reward choice. You gave up an item that could help you through most of the battle or for a specific point of the battle for a high damaging super move. GF is probably also trying not to have a Mega Rayquaza incident again (like Kommo-o's new Z-Move is potentially OP, but it still needs to be holding its Z-Crystal so there is some drawback even if it's a small one).

315111 already mentioned all changes but here's some nice visual comparisons between the original and ultra versions of the islands to accompany what he said

Mele Mele
Akala
Ula Ula
Poni Poni
For those bad at paying attention to details such as myself:
Mele Mele

Akala

Ula Ula

I didn't bother with Poni because it's kinda obvious it has changed.

The big thing here is that the Pokemon League building is in the new Map, so Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are, positively, a sequel to Sun and Moon.
My personal guess is that those white barracks are where we'll find the new Move Tutors.

There are a couple of small things I noticed on poni poni island. The 2 big obvious ones are of course that the rocks around Poni Wilds moved to Poni Breaker Coast and the dark ominous cloud that they're barrowing from Platinum, but there's a few more I can see. First there appears to be a new beach hiding behind the 2nd cliff of Poni Wilds, a beach that can now be reached with the rocks out of the way. The second thing I noticed is that the water in Poni Breaker Coast is now brown, so the water is now muddy or has dried up. The next thing I see is the fog around the edge of the Battle Tree is gone, I don't know if there was an area blocked in the first games or so, or if it's just a odd detail on the map. Finally the green grass in the ruins of Ancient Poni Path is now the same color of the dirt paths, though that is a bit hard to tell due to the lighting from the cloud.

Edit: I always thought that the new games are alternate timelines but still farther along post S/M.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)