Pokkén Tournament

Well, it's official: there's going to be a Pokémon fighting game.

The game is a crossover between the Pokémon series and the Tekken series. The game is being developed by Namco (makers of the Tekken series) and will be released to arcades next year.
The only confirmed characters are Lucario (including Mega), Machamp, and Blaziken (the old screenshot between Lucario and Blaziken was confirmed part of the game).

So, what do all of you think? Personally, I'll give it a try if I can ever find it.

I hope the roster is pretty big and decently sized. I'm a big fan of fighting games with my favorite being Blazblue. They say it is arcade first so I think and hope it comes to the Wii U later. (Hoping for mega lopunny)

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I hope it gets to Hong Kong.
I haven't really played any of these in a serious manner, but it sure looks fun to me.

OH!!! Please allow us to choose more characters than regular Tekken games. Customization is like the soul of Pokemon, really.

So far it looks to be only fighting-type Pokémon. I can definitely expect the likes of Infernape, Mienshao and Mega Lopunny - heck, this game might even be a big reasoning behind the latter existing.

Edit: Since this is a discussion about an upcoming game, shouldn't it be pinned to the top of the forum like the ORAS thread is?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This actually looks really interesting, although it being released in arcades only is a surprise to me. I hope it gets released in the U.S. but arcades aren't really as big of a thing here. I'm also curious as to which Pokemon they will choose, obviously most Fighting-types will work but not all Pokemon really translate well to a fighting game. For example, if there are any throwing techniques then Diglett and Dugtrio are obviously out of the running (not really having any limbs to attack with doesn't help either) and will flying/levitating Pokemon have the ability to fly constantly or will they have to land like Charizard in Smash Bros? Some of them don't have legs.

In all honesty, I think those Pokemon just won't be in it, there was no way they were going to include all of the Pokemon anyway. My guess is only fully evolved Pokemon and Pokemon that generally stand will be in it. My hope is Tyranitar makes it in! Although if he does, it's going to be weird seeing him survive more than two Fighting-type attacks. :P

This actually looks really interesting, although it being released in arcades only is a surprise to me. I hope it gets released in the U.S. but arcades aren't really as big of a thing here. I'm also curious as to which Pokemon they will choose, obviously most Fighting-types will work but not all Pokemon really translate well to a fighting game. For example, if there are any throwing techniques then Diglett and Dugtrio are obviously out of the running (not really having any limbs to attack with doesn't help either) and will flying/levitating Pokemon have the ability to fly constantly or will they have to land like Charizard in Smash Bros? Some of them don't have legs.

In all honesty, I think those Pokemon just won't be in it, there was no way they were going to include all of the Pokemon anyway. My guess is only fully evolved Pokemon and Pokemon that generally stand will be in it. My hope is Tyranitar makes it in! Although if he does, it's going to be weird seeing him survive more than two Fighting-type attacks. :P
It's pretty standard for fighting games that are japanese based to start off with arcades in japan first. It allows the developers to loktest the games and rebalance things they might find broken. Street Fighter 4, Tekken, Blazblue, Persona, etc all were released Japan Arcade first and console later.

My hope is Tyranitar makes it in! Although if he does, it's going to be weird seeing him survive more than two Fighting-type attacks. :P
Tyranitar can't really have anything resembling footwork, so it wouldn't be a good choice. Also, imagine Tyranitar throwing a punch (I know it can learn things like Power-Up Punch and the Elemental Punches, but that's different). It just has no range.
Also, if the original Hitmons aren't in it, I will be highly disappointed (I've been wanting a fighting game with Hitmonchan for a long time).

Also, if the original Hitmons aren't in it, I will be highly disappointed (I've been wanting a fighting game with Hitmonchan for a long time).
Screw that, I want Hitmontop - it's always had a fun unique design and I'd love to see how that'd translate to an actual fighting game.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar can't really have anything resembling footwork, so it wouldn't be a good choice. Also, imagine Tyranitar throwing a punch (I know it can learn things like Power-Up Punch and the Elemental Punches, but that's different). It just has no range.
Yeah, that's a fair point about those stubs. At this point I actually think it might be exclusively a Fighting-type game, although Mewtwo could work.

Hitmonchan seems perfect for this game and has some uniqueness as a boxing fighter so I agree it would definitely be great to have him in it.

I've seen a lot of people concerned about how it only specifies coming to Japanese Arcades in 2015. From what I've been hearing, most japanese fighting games come to arcades first with the benefit of pseudo beta testing, then to a home console release. I would be shocked if there wasn't a Wii U version down the pipes at all. The fact the English TPCi channel advertised the game at all instead of just ignoring it signifies to me we'll see some form of western release. Plus, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 gave the folks at Namco some familiarity with the Wii U.

As for how I feel about the game personally, I own a grand total of one traditional fighting game in the form of Skullgirls and I'm really excited for this on the merit it's such an amazingly awesome idea. I'm hoping we some non-fighting type playable characters that fit the vaguely humanshape build in this game. Mewtwo, Gardevoir, Darkrai, Lopunny, and Gengar are all too perfect fits. There's also a whole separate realm of monstrous Pokemon like Nidoking, Tyranitar, and Charizard that would be awesomely satisfying to control.

For some reason, when I thought of characters for this game, the second or third thing that popped into my mind was Slaking fighting and walking around like Hugo from Street Fighter.

Well to be honest just about every Pokemon can be made into a character, just look at smash brothers who made Pichu available in a fighting game. Honestly Clefable would be cool to see, not really because I like Clefable but more because of beating up a bunch of badass Pokemon with Clefable is funny. Personally I would like to see Alakazam, Bisharp, Garchomp, Breloom and Dragonite since they look like they could kick ass. Also would type effectiveness be a thing in the game. Obviously it is a thing in the regular series but for a fighting game it just doesn't seem right to give a character an unfair advantage right from the start. On the other hand it would be weird to see Bisharp win against a Machamp or something. Anyway I love fighting games so I am hyped for this one, let's just hope Europe will also get it eventually.

Well to be honest just about every Pokemon can be made into a character, just look at smash brothers who made Pichu available in a fighting game. Honestly Clefable would be cool to see, not really because I like Clefable but more because of beating up a bunch of badass Pokemon with Clefable is funny. Personally I would like to see Alakazam, Bisharp, Garchomp, Breloom and Dragonite since they look like they could kick ass. Also would type effectiveness be a thing in the game. Obviously it is a thing in the regular series but for a fighting game it just doesn't seem right to give a character an unfair advantage right from the start. On the other hand it would be weird to see Bisharp win against a Machamp or something. Anyway I love fighting games so I am hyped for this one, let's just hope Europe will also get it eventually.
Smash is an entirely different beast to the Tekken series. (Also, Pichu sucked in Melee)
I don't think it will be limited to Fighting-types (though I wouldn't be surprised either way). There are plenty of Pokémon that could fit in.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I first made a complaint post but then I saw that TPCi posted the trailer on the official international Pokemon page on Facebook. They wouldn't advertise to a foreign audience or have an English trailer if they had no intent to release it internationally. The Battrio series is another Japan-only Pokemon arcade game that received little publicity because it's meant to be Japan-only. There's a 99% chance this will make it to the rest of us.

That being said, I find it interesting and cool that Pokemon is doing more and more collaborations (my favorite being Pokemon Conquest). Gamefreak is a second party studio, so its independence from Nintendo means that this won't be the last collaboration. However, I won't be buying this one because I have little interest in fighting games and slapping a Pokemon label on it won't entice me. The last Tekken game I played was Tekken 3 and I sucked at it, lol. I would have personally preferred a Conquest or Colosseum/XD successor but I'm happy for people who are hyped about this and overall, it's good Pokemon is branching into other genres.

Honestly this is just a fanservice game. I personally care less about this than I do about Hyrule Warriors and that's saying something. (Especially since I have played Tekken but had never even heard of DW until HW was announced.)

Crossovers in my opinion only work when there is something in common between the two series that attracts you to both of them, because then there is something to unite the two games. There isn't really a common element between Tekken and Pokemon and so this is likely to be nothing more than a reskinned Tekken game.

That said, if this comes to Wii U (and it has to surely) it could actually be a really great showcase for Amiibo. Pokemon is a game built around customisation, and the Amiibos could allow you to customise your Pokemon's movesets and stats just like in the main series, and then use them to fight each other. That's probably asking too much of an arcade port though...

I'm assuming only bipedal Pokémon with somewhat humanoid shapes are the only ones able to be considered available on the roster. Fighting types are definitely a plus. Mewtwo also seems like it would be able to fit in as well. However, some Tekken characters like Kuma have been put into these fighting games, but I wouldn't count on having a lot of non-humanoids. My hopes for being able to play as Ariados and Mightyena have gone down the drain. I'm going to seriously rage if Greninja makes it on this roster.

OMG!!! I am so here for this. Tekken and Pokemon are two of my favorite franchises. This just so random and out-of-the-blue. This is the type of thing that a fan would would just randomly dream up and not think much of it just b/c of how random and out there the idea is and for this to be true is just unbelievable. I literally screamed and jumped when I saw this.

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Pokken is more like Dragon ball Z than Tekken are my favourite games of all time this time pokemon has done a good game I wonder how would Pikachu fight.
I will buy it as soon as possible but they plan to sell at 2015 still I will wait.............

There was a fan made fighting Pokemon game that I played that was pretty cool. It had stuff like lucario, blazekin, breeloom and even snorlax. It also let you change the color of your poke like the smash franchise does. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Who knows? Maybe a couple quadrupeds can make it in. For example, ivysaur did a nice job in brawl by fitting in with the biped characters by using its vine whip and flower. It would definitely be unique.

If they decide to add more pokemon, I bet pokemon like ambipom, nidoking, marowak, scizor, and ludicolo would make nice additions since they all would have unique fighting styles.

Can anyone who has played Tekken tell what to expect as far as controls go?
According to this article, the game will not use Tekken's engine and will be completely new. It seems like it will not be as technical as Tekken and more straightforward. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the basic commands of the Tekken system. This video is a good tutorial for basic control/movement. You don't have to watch the whole thing, just until 3:45 in to get the basic notation and movement. Anything beyond that point is Tekken specific.

Also, according to the article, no Tekken characters will be appearing.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Interestingly, this seems to be the first game ever to try to portray Pokémon with high-definition textures. Earlier games have sort of ignored the issue, instead choosing to portray the Pokémon with smooth, featureless textures (check out the Brawl trophies, for instance - Lucario seems to be the only 'mon to get a skin that doesn't look like plastic).

Here, however, we have Lucario covered in fur, and Machamp's skin has a sweaty sheen to it. I can't wait to see the rest of the roster in glorious detail like this. If they choose to include, say, Charizard, we finally get to know if its skin is leathery or scaly (I consider Pokémon Stadium's box art not to count).

Interestingly, this seems to be the first game ever to try to portray Pokémon with high-definition textures. Earlier games have sort of ignored the issue, instead choosing to portray the Pokémon with smooth, featureless textures (check out the Brawl trophies, for instance - Lucario seems to be the only 'mon to get a skin that doesn't look like plastic).

Here, however, we have Lucario covered in fur, and Machamp's skin has a sweaty sheen to it. I can't wait to see the rest of the roster in glorious detail like this. If they choose to include, say, Charizard, we finally get to know if its skin is leathery or scaly (I consider Pokémon Stadium's box art not to count).
I'm actually really excited to see the finer details in the designs as well

I mean

does granbull have fur? I mean it's a dog, dogs have fur, arcanine has fur, stoutland has fur, but you can't actually tell if granbull has fur or not

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Pretty much fighting types like conkeldurr, Mienshao, mega mewtwp x (maybe), but generally I would see human shaped pokes like Bisharp in these games. (aswell with the pokes I listed)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)