SM OU Power Overwhelming: Mega-Mawile Bulky Offense

Power Overwhelming

Welcome one and all to my return to this waste of time. I left around the time SuMo started as I got bored and didn't feel like dealing with all of the tiers being broken, but unfortunately for my studies, I have returned. I've wanted to play with M-Maw in OU for quite some time and when I came back I couldn't find any good Maw teams that weren't Magnezone HO, so since I absolutely refuse to use that unmon I decided to make the most standard team ever with a Maw Koko core.
This team is a blast to use, essentially using your defensive core + Lando to wear down steels and ground types until Maw can claim at least 2 kills and Koko can sweep. This team does especially well vs fat teams with slow mons since it has 3 of the best breakers in the tier, while doing a fairly decent job vs offense thanks to Koko, sucker punch, and Mew.
The teambuilding process wasn't especially interesting as I wanted to build something easy for my first team back, so I'm just gonna get right into it.

The Team

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
There is nothing more satisfying in this world than coming in on a Mega-Sableye and watching them sweat as they stare this monster down and decide what to feed it. On this team Maw is crucial, acting as the main breaker and one of the win-cons along with Koko, so you have to play her somewhat carefully. She's also one of this team's main way of beating stall along with Lando, and generally does well against fat teams that give Koko some trouble.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
The most important member of the team, on this team Koko auto-wins vs any team without an electric resist. Koko provides a ton of utility on this team and provides alot of the pressure vs the opponent. Koko and Mawile are the teams main win cons, and Koko can put huge amounts of pressure on balanced and offensive teams especially after blasting the Lando/Zygarde with a dazzle or a hp ice, as once they go down the whole team falls over to volt switch.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
We all know what Lando does at this point so I chose this set in particular because it breaks down teams so easily for Mawile and Koko. Alot of the time when you bring this in its best to just drop the skystrike since it's only a breaker but the SD helps vs incredibly fat teams with mons like Skarm or hippo and SD guarantees an Ohko on defensive Lando, which means your Koko gets to volt switch around.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
The first part of my defensive core and a crucial pivot for the team, Tang is a great ground check for this fairly ground weak team and checks alot of fast problem mons like scarf Chomp and Keldeo. Sludge wave is mostly there as an emergency Bulu check, but also helps in conjunction with knock on opposing Tangrowth. Tangrowth also functions as the team's primary check to rain and as such must be played very carefully vs it, as one stray ice punch can lose you the game.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Second part of the defensive core, Tran gets me rocks and is a general nuisance for alot of teams. Tran is the team's main fire check which is pretty important for such a fire weak team, and also just a general blanket check to all of the special attackers that Tangrowth loses/gets worn down by.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
The final member of the team, Mew is the glue mon on the team. Gives defog, checks all of the physical attackers that can power through
Tangrowth and Heatran like Zygarde, zfly Lando, and M-Medi, and is an incredible annoyance to alot of offensive teams. Mew also provides a decent speed tier for the team and can annoy most physical attackers and allow Tangrowth to wall them with ease.
Threats

Ash-Greninja
If this thing ever comes in and ice beam 2hkos your Tangrowth its GG. Ash beats all of my team without tang so my main strategy is to switch carefully and offensively pressure it before going straight to tang. Definitely can be dealt with but not something to sleep on.

Camerupt
Never thought I'd see the day that camel was viable in OU but it fucks this team up. The only way to deal with it is to offensively pressure it, if you let it in you either guess right or something dies.

Charizard X
It's a good thing that this thing's not as good as it was last gen because Lando is my only check to this monster and if it comes in at full health and gets a DD your best move is X.

Heracross
Another slow thing that breaks my team, I have absolutely no switch-ins other than Lando and it can break everything if you play badly.

Kartana
Terror incarnate, every time you see this origami fuck you have to play super carefully, while the sum of your defensive core can deal with it can murder this team late game.

Venusaur
Pretty annoying for the team, the main way of breaking it is chip and Lando, if Lando dies good luck beating it.

Replays (Pls forgive my bad playing)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-644187551
Me vs stall, Maw really destroys alot of variations of stall with Duggie gone and most stalls get 6-0d if I play not horribly and don't get burned.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-644066433
Rain is not that bad at all, Maw can usually get a heavy hit off on either Pelipper or something on the switch and mew puts in alot of work. If you don't switch Tangrowth in on stuff willy-nilly you should be just fine.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-644066000
Kinda funny but regardless of the forfeit the matchup this team is very good, Lando puts insane pressure on these kinds of teams with Lati/Celesteela as ground "resists" and then maw can clean up incredibly easy with Marowak gone and Zygarde weakened.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-643270619
Played pretty bad for this one but this shows just how well this defensive core can function and how to clean up with Koko once the checks have been worn down by all the fat stuff.

Importable
Conclusion
Coming back has been pretty fun and I've really enjoyed playing with this team and learning the new meta. I'd love some suggestions on the team as I'm sure there's alot of ways this can be improved. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice.
22Amilli

Last edited:
Very solid team dude.
My advice would be add ferrothorn over tangrowth. you have plenty of fighting checks and fire type weakness is neutered with heatran. ferrothorn handles ash-greninja and can apply pressure by setting more spikes. bulu and zygarde is handled by your teams well so this change won't affected your team that much. with this change you could run rocks mew and then maybe a sub tran or stallbreaker tran set.
Edited team: http://pokepast.es/ef7d9ef7fdc1a751

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)