PU Team Tune-Up - Fix Up Your Teams Here!

TRAPPING IS A GOOD PLAYSTYLE

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Roost

Arbok @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Coil

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Toxic
- Rest

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Defog

Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

I wanted to play around with a forgotten threat in Articuno whilst also throwing in something I view as an underdog in the current meta, Arbok. Both appreciate Trapinch support so that was my starting point. I added Lumineon as a form of hazard removal for Articuno whilst also giving me an easy way to pressure Golem, and since I had Trapinch I felt comfortable using Mawile as my normal check so Stoutland doesn't eat me alive. I was super stumped on the last slot so I added Grumpig on a whim since it's known for checking a ton of mons for a single slot, using both t-wave and taunt since the team is slow and Clefduo is annoying.

In testing the team struggled a lot, and with all of the random Bronzor teams running around on ladder (Which 6-0's this team) I quickly lost patience and almost gave up on the team.
Then I remembered this thread was made.
Yay!

Have fun fixing it!

Hey Dibs, thanks for being patient. The team is pretty good already, with good synergy in Cuno, Lumineon, Trapinch and Arbok. However, in fixing the team, we felt that Mawile and Grumpig could be replaced with better mons to help the team.

Rotom-Frost appeared to be a big problem for the team and Grumpig simply tried to take on way too many roles, checking Monferno, Duosion, Clefairy, Rotom, etc. Furthermore, the team lacked a Cacturne switch in with rocks up. With this in mind, the first change was:

---->

Clefairy now solves this problem and sets up rocks reliably and easily. With recovery and enough bulk to take on strong special attackers like Rotom-Frost or Cacturne which threatened the team significantly, Clefairy helps you pivot around much better. Knock Off is there to weaken Steel switch ins such as Metang or Pawniard or Bronzor so that Cuno can deal better damage. Seismic Toss is to break opposing Articuno Substitutes and deal consistent damage.

At this point, outside of Arbok and Articuno, the team lacked a strong offensive presence or a mon that clean up late game. Additionally, now with rocks on Clefairy, this freed up space for the team to find an offensive mon while still being that normal resist. Thus the second change was:

---->
(or
)
Shell Smash Crustle was added as an offensive mon that benefited from Clefairy's special walling capabilities and status absorbing meaning special waters and Gourgeists can't stop Crustle unless they get rid of Clefairy first. Crustle is easily used as a late game sweeper when scarfers are gone and opposing walls are weakened by mons like Articuno. It is important to note, however, that while Crustle is a normal resist, it still takes a lot of damage from Banded Stout's Superpower and Dodrio's Brave Bird. If you feel like Crustle isn't your cup of tea, you can always go with offensive Golem in this slot. You can also change Crustle to Jolly to outspeed some threats, if you feel that'd be necessary.

Final comments; since I didn't want to shake the team archetype up too much, I could not manage to fit something fast like scarfers. However I did not find this to be a problem because the defensive core walls all the fast mons anyway in Floatzel, Zebstrika, Electrode, Ninjask, etc. Also a note: during play testing, if you ever do decide to switch in Crustle on something like Stoutland and they go for Superpower predicting your switch, know that Arbok will then get free set up which is always nice.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Roost

Arbok @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Coil

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Toxic
- Rest

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Defog

Crustle @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Seismic Toss

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
/

QuagRose Semi-Stall
QuagRose with Munch

Idea was to build a Semi-Stall team around Quag, as it blanket checks a ton of setup mons and physical attackers.

Immediately wanted to build a defensive backbone, so I went with T-Spikes Rose. It checks Grass-types which threaten Quag, as well as Water-types and cheeky HP Grass Electrics like Zeb. Armaldo was added since I hadn't used it in a while, and it provides great defensive utility being a Normal-type resist with Rapid Spin and Knock. Maldo does a lot of breaking for the team, beating out most defensive cores like Muk+Probo+Vullaby, worth noting that it also Knocks Off Clef and Duosion which lets Quag 1v1 them.

Rapidash came in as the necessary Grass- and Ice-type check, as well as providing the role of revenge killer and crippling things with WoW. CB Golem looked like a threat, and Armaldo easily gets overwhelmed by Normal-types such as CB Stout, so Bronzor was added. Also provides Rocks and another Ice check.

Sixth mon had to be a wincon; at first I tried out DDD Altaria since I felt pretty weak to LO Combusken, and with Toxic Spikes it can stall out many Pokemon such as SD Bouff and NP Ninetales. The team with Altaria is pretty decent, but I felt it was too weak to Ice-types like Frostom, so I tried my hand at Curse Munch. With Munchlax it becomes much easier to check special attackers such as LO Altaria and Frostom, as well as easing the pressure off of Bronzor. This version of the team is much more vulnerable to Combusken and Cacturne, which forces me to play aggressively with Rap/Rose and Rap/Quag respectively.

Hazard Stack with a spin blocker is a pain to face, forces me to play Armaldo extremely well.
Frostom in particular is pain for either version to face, have to play around Trick Scarf well and check non-Scarf with Rap and Maldo.
A well played LO Busken can destroy the Munchlax version. Luckily Munch can live one FB and retaliate with Body Slam.
Opposing LO Altaria is a nuisance for the first version to play, mainly because I lack a solid way of dealing damage outside of Maldo.
Teams with Heal Bell or a Poison-type are annoying, as they play around status with ease.
SS Goreb 6-0's lol, click Wild Charge every time. Speaking of Waters Swanna is annoying but Bronzor can stall it out.

/

QuagRose Semi-Stall
QuagRose with Munch

Idea was to build a Semi-Stall team around Quag, as it blanket checks a ton of setup mons and physical attackers.

Immediately wanted to build a defensive backbone, so I went with T-Spikes Rose. It checks Grass-types which threaten Quag, as well as Water-types and cheeky HP Grass Electrics like Zeb. Armaldo was added since I hadn't used it in a while, and it provides great defensive utility being a Normal-type resist with Rapid Spin and Knock. Maldo does a lot of breaking for the team, beating out most defensive cores like Muk+Probo+Vullaby, worth noting that it also Knocks Off Clef and Duosion which lets Quag 1v1 them.

Rapidash came in as the necessary Grass- and Ice-type check, as well as providing the role of revenge killer and crippling things with WoW. CB Golem looked like a threat, and Armaldo easily gets overwhelmed by Normal-types such as CB Stout, so Bronzor was added. Also provides Rocks and another Ice check.

Sixth mon had to be a wincon; at first I tried out DDD Altaria since I felt pretty weak to LO Combusken, and with Toxic Spikes it can stall out many Pokemon such as SD Bouff and NP Ninetales. The team with Altaria is pretty decent, but I felt it was too weak to Ice-types like Frostom, so I tried my hand at Curse Munch. With Munchlax it becomes much easier to check special attackers such as LO Altaria and Frostom, as well as easing the pressure off of Bronzor. This version of the team is much more vulnerable to Combusken and Cacturne, which forces me to play aggressively with Rap/Rose and Rap/Quag respectively.

Hazard Stack with a spin blocker is a pain to face, forces me to play Armaldo extremely well.
Frostom in particular is pain for either version to face, have to play around Trick Scarf well and check non-Scarf with Rap and Maldo.
A well played LO Busken can destroy the Munchlax version. Luckily Munch can live one FB and retaliate with Body Slam.
Opposing LO Altaria is a nuisance for the first version to play, mainly because I lack a solid way of dealing damage outside of Maldo.
Teams with Heal Bell or a Poison-type are annoying, as they play around status with ease.
SS Goreb 6-0's lol, click Wild Charge every time. Speaking of Waters Swanna is annoying but Bronzor can stall it out.

Yo, cool Quag team.

After discussing the make of this team a bit with Megazard, we basically came to the conclusion that the team already was pretty good, with decent checks to many of the relevant threats in PU. What we did was create a different version of the team that we feel covers a few more threats and helps the team synergize better.

• You mentioned Rotom-Frost and Combusken being notable threats, so defensive Grumpi was considered immediately. Grumpig helps glue the team together with its ability to check Fire and Ice with Thick Fat; Grumpig essentially provided a similar defensive role to Munchlax.
  • The current version of the team also suffers greatly from something like a banded Leafeon, as it can simply come in and click a free Knock Off every time, especially since Roselia is the supposed grass check, with Altaria being an OK check to Leafeon although it gets 2HKOed by Frustration after rocks. As a semi-replacement to Roselia, Colbur Gourgiest-Super provided another answer to grounds and especially Leafeon.
  • While I understand your reasoning for using Armaldo, it is usually worn down rather quickly due to no reliable recovery. This sounds cliche but Cryogonal probably fills that gap better and provides some decent speed for the team, since we'll be losing Rapidash in this version.
  • notes: there's a lot of prep for pawniard here, like speed creeping, etc. If you don't feel too threatened by pawniard since you have quag, feel free to distribute the ev's into other stats. the cryogonal spread isn't max max, but one that helps take suckers from pawn. grumpig's spread creeps pawn, and tanks a +2 blitz from ferno. spdef alt is also to live 2 cacturne dark pulses 94% of the time after rocks.
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Synthesis

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 216 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Grumpig @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 128 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Hi, I am still new to PU, but I feel like I am starting to get a little better each time I battle.
I am usually not good at making new teams, but this one has sort of worked so far. Unfortunately,
my teams rarely make it past 1200 on the ladder. This teams focus is on a u-turn & volt-turn core
that works to weaken checks to the point where either gorebyss or arbok is able to sweep. Probopass is a defensive
back-bone, and furret it my revenge killer. I feel like this team
could be vulnerable to ground types. It is an extremely fun team to play with, but I know that it could definitely be improved upon.
Here is the team:
Ampharos (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Static
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Discharge
- Focus Blast

Gorebyss (F) @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Arbok (F) @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Furret (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Return
- Trick

Combusken (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Probopass (F) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Serious Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Thanks for reading this and taking the time to help. :)

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Connor2000 Sorry if this took a while longer than you wanted me and some of the other members of the Tune-up Team put a good amount of thought into this team to get it as up to par as we could. I tried to keep this team true to your original concepts while also trying to cover as many weaknesses as possible, so hopefully this performs the way you would like, and I'm confident it will.

--->
Assult vest Ampharos helped to keep a few problem some Pokemon in check such as Rotom-Frost and specially oriented water attackers but at the end of the Tune-up your team was incredibly slow for such an offensive driven direction and this ultimately had to be changed out for a much faster Pokemon. Electrode was considered but it was the glaring weakness to Jumpluff that made Zebstrika the superior choice.

--->
Arbok was changed out for a few reasons, most notably you had a very noticeable weakness to Monferno. Grumpig helps in checking similar Pokemon like Muk and Roselia while still being able to act as a win con alongside Gorybyss against defensive teams.

--->
The fact that I seen a Furret in your team leads me to believe you would appreciate a few links to some of our resources as it outclassed by a multitude of Normal-Types. You can find our Viability Rankings Thread here, and I'll post a link to the general resources here. So now that that is out of the way, you said in your op that you were weak to ground and I really had to agree. Choice Scarf Leafeon gives you a way of dealing with Pokemon like Golem while also keeping some much-needed speed, it also has Baton Pass in the last slot to help you keep up momentum with Zebstrika.

--->
Probopass was not a bad Pokemon for your team but the still noticeable weakness to Monferno and overall better offensive presence Golem brought to the team made this change seem justified. It is actually an offensive Chople set this helps in not being completely overwhelmed by the likes of Stoutland and Monferno, I chose Sucker Punch in the last slot to help getting some final chip on faster threats as i feel offensive teams will give you the most trouble match-up wise so that can be some crucial damage.

Just a small change on Gorebyss, I put on Life Orb over White Herb and I changed out Hidden Power Electric for Hidden Power Grass. The reason being is that they help in wearing down Combuskens checks better. Ice Beam already is a OHKO on Pelipper at +2 and Grass hits both Chinchou and Seaking.

Well thats all the changes was a fun team for me to work on as I really enjoy offensive teams, hope this helps you and glad me and the other Tune-up members could help

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gorebyss @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Baton Pass

Combusken (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Golem @ Chople Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)