[READ ME] Tips for Simple Hack Checks

Hi there! This is my first time doing this because I'm curious about the Mimikyu I got 19 days ago which I started to EV Train. I have little memory on what I EV Trained this Pokemon but here are all the details I've put down. I hope it is it a legit Mimikyu.

Language: JPN
Species: Mimikyu
OT: (Japanese Name)
ID No.: 321620
IVs: HP: Best/Attack: Best/Defense: Best/Sp.Atk: Decent/Sp.Def: Fantastic/Speed: Best
EVs: N/A
Ability: Disguise
Pokemon's name: (Japanese name)
Level: 6 (Originally Level 1)
Pokeball: Heal Ball
Shiny?: No
Pentagon?: +
Moves: Splash/Scratch/Astonish/Copycat
Nature: Adamant
Egg Received: 12/10/2016
Egg Hatched: Apparently 12/10/2016
Where: Paniola Ranch
Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
Ribbons: None
Other comments (This is the Pokemon I was going to EV Train after I got it from the Wonder Trade. However, I thought Jolly would be a better nature for Mimikyu instead so I used this Pokemon to breed for a Jolly one.):

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! This is my first time doing this because I'm curious about the Mimikyu I got 19 days ago which I started to EV Train. I have little memory on what I EV Trained this Pokemon but here are all the details I've put down. I hope it is it a legit Mimikyu.

Species: Mimikyu
ID No.: 321620
IVs: HP: Best/Attack: Best/Defense: Best/Sp.Atk: Decent/Sp.Def: Fantastic/Speed: Best
EVs: N/A
Ability: Disguise
Pokemon's name: (Japanese name)
Level: 6 (Originally Level 1)
Pokeball: Heal Ball
Moves: Splash/Scratch/Astonish/Copycat
Egg Received: 12/10/2016
Egg Hatched: Apparently 12/10/2016
Where: Paniola Ranch
Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
Other comments (This is the Pokemon I was going to EV Train after I got it from the Wonder Trade. However, I thought Jolly would be a better nature for Mimikyu instead so I used this Pokemon to breed for a Jolly one.):
There's nothing about what you mentioned that directly points to it being hacked. People trade Spitbacks on Wonder Trade all the time. But as with anything from Passerby/GTS/WT, I wouldn't trade it here or on other sites that disallow hacks. Because you don't know where it came from or where it's been, so we can't prove whether it's legit or not, only legal at best.
I don't think you'd get in trouble from using that Mimikyu as a breeding parent or in Wi-Fi Battles, though, considering it's not particularly sketchy. But I would mention that the offspring was bred from a parent you got of WT when you're offering the offspring here, if I were you.

There's nothing about what you mentioned that directly points to it being hacked. People trade Spitbacks on Wonder Trade all the time. But as with anything from Passerby/GTS/WT, I wouldn't trade it here or on other sites that disallow hacks. Because you don't know where it came from or where it's been, so we can't prove whether it's legit or not, only legal at best.
I don't think you'd get in trouble from using that Mimikyu as a breeding parent or in Wi-Fi Battles, though, considering it's not particularly sketchy. But I would mention that the offspring was bred from a parent you got of WT when you're offering the offspring here, if I were you.
Okay. Thanks for the response. I was getting unsure if the Pokemon really is legit after burrowing through the new Pokemon trading policy on Pokemon Showdown. So, I think it's safe to say the Mimikyu along with the offspring (created by another Japanese Mimikyu which is a female and is also a breedject) is alright. However, I better remain cautious on what Pokemon I obtain. That's why I scan through what I obtained and release those who have an illegible date.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is trading pokes bred using hacked 6 IV dittos legal? I assume so, just don't want to piss anyone off.
If you'd bothered to read the rules, you'd already know the answer to this...
Here's the relevant bit, but I highly recommend that you read the rest of them as well:
Rules said:
Hacking & Cloning

-Cloning is allowed on these forums. We do not care about your moral stance regarding cloning. If you do not want to trade for cloned Pokemon you are free to say so but DO NOT tell others cloning is hacking or whatever you consider it, keep all that to yourself.
  • Note in the Pokémon’s description...
    • If and how it was cloned.
    • If an emulator was used.
    • If it was obtained via a hacked or injected Wonder Card.
  • Note in your thread...
    • If and how you use third party tools including:
      • Any Action Replay (or similar device) codes you use.
      • Any Pokesav/Pokegen functions you use.
      • Any fake GTS such as Pokecheck or Pokegts.
  • Do NOT...
    • Trade Pokémon that have been created or altered by a third party tool (Action Replay, Pokegen, Pokesav, etc.).
      • This includes anything bred using created/altered Pokémon.
    • Use RAM editing.
    • Distribute Pokémon via .pkm files.
    • Ask for advice about AR, Pokegen, PokeSav, etc.
    • This should be common sense, but if you suspect a Pokemon is hacked, don't offer it in your trade thread. Seriously, a little common sense goes a long way.
    • Use a Power Saves device to force shininess onto a Pokemon. Doing so, then attempting to trade it will result in blacklisting.

Language: english Species:Pheromosa OT: WTG ID No.: 000282 IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31 EVs (optional): Ability: beast boost Pokemon's name: Pheromosa Gender: Level: 60 Pokeball: beast ball Shiny?: no Pentagon?: yes Moves: triple kick/ lunge/ bug buzz/ me first Nature: adamant Region of origin: Characteristic: Alert to sounds Ribbons: Other comments (optional): from verdant cavern, and met at 12/29/2016

Seeing as there's no way to know if a pokemon came from the GTS or Wondertrade what good does it do to request that that be listed on an pokemon for trade on a trade shop/thread?

Also after reading this: Smogon's definition of hacking is the following- Hacking is the use of any external device in order to modify the game and the game data in any sort of way.
I have to wonder just how rng manipulation is allowed anywhere on here. While it doesn't change the pokemon per say, it does make it more likely to get shiny ones which is changing the game on a greater level.

Language: english Species:Pheromosa OT: WTG ID No.: 000282 IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31 EVs (optional): Ability: beast boost Pokemon's name: Pheromosa Gender: Level: 60 Pokeball: beast ball Shiny?: no Pentagon?: yes Moves: triple kick/ lunge/ bug buzz/ me first Nature: adamant Region of origin: Characteristic: Alert to sounds Ribbons: Other comments (optional): from verdant cavern, and met at 12/29/2016
If you don't know the OT assume it's a hack, especially given the incredibly low odds of catching 6x31.

Seeing as there's no way to know if a pokemon came from the GTS or Wondertrade what good does it do to request that that be listed on an pokemon for trade on a trade shop/thread?
I mean it's kind of an honor system? Also if you haven't bred it yourself the odds of you offering something illegal (which seems to be more egg moves than anything else currently) are much higher, and you're still responsible for it if you trade it.

Also after reading this: Smogon's definition of hacking is the following- Hacking is the use of any external device in order to modify the game and the game data in any sort of way.
I have to wonder just how rng manipulation is allowed anywhere on here. While it doesn't change the pokemon per say, it does make it more likely to get shiny ones which is changing the game on a greater level.
RNG doesn't directly alter data in any way. There's no editing involved, its simply using external tools to allow you to work (within the game mechanics) to your advantage. You find a seed and frame you need and use things allowed by the game in order to reach that point.

Also, in general, this isn't really a discussion thread...it's a tool for people checking the legitimacy of specific pokemon using the format set forth in the OP.

Pardon me for doing this again because I want to be on the safe side but I need to make sure if the Wimpod and Drampa I got from the Wonder Trade is A-OK before I start putting it in the Pokemon Nursery to breed.

Species: Wimpod
ID No.: 178671
IVs: HP = Very Good/Attack = Best/Defense = Best/Sp.Atk = Best/Sp.Def = Best/Speed = Decent
EVs (optional): None
Ability: Wimp Out
Pokemon's name: (Japanese Name)
Level: 1
Pokeball: Premier Ball
Moves: Struggle Bug/Sand Attack
Region of origin: Alola
Characteristic: Somewhat vain
Other comments (optional): None

Language: ENG
Species: Drampa
OT: Dr. Genzo
ID No.: 061423
IVs: HP = Best/Attack = Very Good/Defense = Best/Sp.Atk = Pretty good/Sp.Def = Best/Speed = Very good
Ability: Berserk
Pokemon's name: Drampa
Pokeball: Timer Ball
Moves: Play Nice/Echoed Voice/Mist
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits

Apologies for the IV sections but it's difficult to calculate the IVs of a Level 1 Pokemon on the IV Calculator.

Pardon me for doing this again because I want to be on the safe side but I need to make sure if the Wimpod and Drampa I got from the Wonder Trade is A-OK before I start putting it in the Pokemon Nursery to breed.

Species: Wimpod
ID No.: 178671
IVs: HP = Very Good/Attack = Best/Defense = Best/Sp.Atk = Best/Sp.Def = Best/Speed = Decent
Ability: Wimp Out
Pokemon's name: (Japanese Name)
Pokeball: Premier Ball
Moves: Struggle Bug/Sand Attack
Characteristic: Somewhat vain

Language: ENG
Species: Drampa
OT: Dr. Genzo
ID No.: 061423
IVs: HP = Best/Attack = Very Good/Defense = Best/Sp.Atk = Pretty good/Sp.Def = Best/Speed = Very good
Ability: Berserk
Pokemon's name: Drampa
Pokeball: Timer Ball
Moves: Play Nice/Echoed Voice/Mist
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits

Apologies for the IV sections but it's difficult to calculate the IVs of a Level 1 Pokemon on the IV Calculator.
There's really no outward signs of these being hacked. Nothing would even really suggest that they are. Again they just seem like random spit backs.

If you're so concerned with making sure your parents are legitimate(which you should be), I would recommend you simply don't use the things you obtain via Wonder Trade as, generally speaking, these are the kinds of things you're going to get. There are plenty of people offering these things (or better) here on Smogon where you will at least know the source (or you could always catch them yourself)

There's really no outward signs of these being hacked. Nothing would even really suggest that they are. Again they just seem like random spit backs.

If you're so concerned with making sure your parents are legitimate(which you should be), I would recommend you simply don't use the things you obtain via Wonder Trade as, generally speaking, these are the kinds of things you're going to get. There are plenty of people offering these things (or better) here on Smogon where you will at least know the source (or you could always catch them yourself)
Okay. Thank you very much.

Okay. Thank you very much.
For future reference, look at these things using a "3Ls" approach
  • Legitimacy
  • Legality
  • Likelihood
For legitimacy you're looking for any outward sign of the Pokemon being impossible to obtain. Whether it's an unreleased ability, a shiny of a Pokemon that is shiny locked, impossible pokeball, or simply requires a feature that's currently unavailable (pokebank in the case of gen 7 games is most common).

To check it's Legality you're looking for something that may not be as obvious. Most cases of this in gen 7 would be egg moves unobtainable without bank ( shiny finder has a pretty comprehensive list here ). You'll also be looking at things like hatch location or where the Pokemon was met.

Finally, likelihood is usually one of the most glaring aspects of hacking though often the most overlooked because it falls outside of provable in a lot of cases. Yes, it is possible to obtain a 6iv shiny imposter Ditto, but the likelihood is incredibly low. And then the likelihood is lower still that someone would just be tossing something like that on Wonder Trade. Is there a chance that it could be real? Yes...a very small one. In these cases it's generally better to treat these as hacks, especially when considering using them to breed from or trade here.

Sorry for such a long winded answer but ya know...teach a man to fish and all that.

Also a disclaimer that a lot of this applies to gen 7 only...rngs and things like that can be sorted by more knowledgeable people than myself, using pkhex or data from rngreporter

For future reference, look at these things using a "3Ls" approach
  • Legitimacy
  • Legality
  • Likelihood
For legitimacy you're looking for any outward sign of the Pokemon being impossible to obtain. Whether it's an unreleased ability, a shiny of a Pokemon that is shiny locked, impossible pokeball, or simply requires a feature that's currently unavailable (pokebank in the case of gen 7 games is most common).

To check it's Legality you're looking for something that may not be as obvious. Most cases of this in gen 7 would be egg moves unobtainable without bank ( shiny finder has a pretty comprehensive list here ). You'll also be looking at things like hatch location or where the Pokemon was met.

Finally, likelihood is usually one of the most glaring aspects of hacking though often the most overlooked because it falls outside of provable in a lot of cases. Yes, it is possible to obtain a 6iv shiny imposter Ditto, but the likelihood is incredibly low. And then the likelihood is lower still that someone would just be tossing something like that on Wonder Trade. Is there a chance that it could be real? Yes...a very small one. In these cases it's generally better to treat these as hacks, especially when considering using them to breed from or trade here.

Sorry for such a long winded answer but ya know...teach a man to fish and all that.

Also a disclaimer that a lot of this applies to gen 7 only...rngs and things like that can be sorted by more knowledgeable people than myself, using pkhex or data from rngreporter
Now that's some really useful information to remember. I'll remember the 3 Ls when it comes to battling and trading. Once again, thanks.

Fun fact, I actually managed to find and catch a shiny Ditto with some max IVs when I was Ally Chaining for those I can use to breed Pokemon.

I received these two from GTS:

Language: Japan
Species: Gengar (it was an Haunter when I received it)
OT: (japanese words)
ID No.: 591172
IVs: Hp decent / Atk decent / Def decent / SpA pretty good / SpD decent / Spe decent
EVs (optional):
Ability: cursed body
Pokemon's name: Gengar
Level: 31
Pokeball: beast ball
Shiny?: no
Moves: night shade / confuse ray / sucker punch / payback
Nature: careful
Region of origin: alola
Characteristic: very finicky
Ribbons: none
Other comments (optional):

Language: english
Species: Slowking
OT: Garbis
ID No.: 709077
IVs: Hp decent / Atk decent / Def pretty good / SpA pretty good / SpD pretty good / Spd pretty good
EVs (optional):
Ability: oblivious
Pokemon's name: Slowking
Level: 24
Moves: water gun / confusion / disable / headbutt
Nature: timid
Characteristic: strong willed

As far as I can tell IVs and movesets seem legit to me. The only possibly suspicious thing is them being in a beast ball.
Can I use them as parents for breeding, to pass down the beast ball?

I received these two from GTS:

Language: Japan
Species: Gengar (it was an Haunter when I received it)
OT: (japanese words)
ID No.: 591172
IVs: Hp decent / Atk decent / Def decent / SpA pretty good / SpD decent / Spe decent
EVs (optional):
Ability: cursed body
Pokemon's name: Gengar
Level: 31
Moves: night shade / confuse ray / sucker punch / payback
Nature: careful
Characteristic: very finicky

Language: english
Species: Slowking
OT: Garbis
ID No.: 709077
IVs: Hp decent / Atk decent / Def pretty good / SpA pretty good / SpD pretty good / Spd pretty good
EVs (optional):
Ability: oblivious
Pokemon's name: Slowking
Level: 24
Moves: water gun / confusion / disable / headbutt
Nature: timid
Characteristic: strong willed

As far as I can tell IVs and movesets seem legit to me. The only possibly suspicious thing is them being in a beast ball.
Can I use them as parents for breeding, to pass down the beast ball?
While the catch rate for beast ball is low, it is certainly possible and yes it can be passed down. If you want to be safe and catch your own, you can give the beast balls to some pokemon (so your inventory is depleted) and then talk to Looker and he will give you more as long as you haven't caught/killed all the ultra beasts. Rinse and repeat until you get the amount you want or just do the item duplication code with a power save. That power save code is generally accepted in WiFi but you should always disclose that you do use that code.

While the catch rate for beast ball is low, it is certainly possible and yes it can be passed down. If you want to be safe and catch your own, you can give the beast balls to some pokemon (so your inventory is depleted) and then talk to Looker and he will give you more as long as you haven't caught/killed all the ultra beasts. Rinse and repeat until you get the amount you want or just do the item duplication code with a power save. That power save code is generally accepted in WiFi but you should always disclose that you do use that code.
Looker actually keeps giving you Beast Balls even after you show him Necrozma's Dex data.

I would like to find out if this Shiny Manaphy is legit. Got it from trade last night and seemed to good to be true.

Language: German
Species: Manaphy
OT: Nami
ID No.: 15940
IVs: x/31/x/x/x/x
Ability: Hydration
Pokemon's name: Manaphy
Level: 2
Pokeball: PokeBall
Shiny?: Yes
Pentagon?: No
Moves: Tail Glow, Bubble, Water Sport
Nature: Gentle
Region of origin: Sinnoh
Characteristic: Proud of its power

I would like to find out if this Shiny Manaphy is legit. Got it from trade last night and seemed to good to be true.

I presume this is from a 6th gen trade right? Can't get one in SuMo yet due to bank...

There are multiple 4th gen events where you get a manphy egg and I don't think those were shiny locked. Seeing as it only has 1 max Iv and a non competative nature, it could be legitimate.

I would side with the Manaphy not being legitimate. While it's true that the 4th gen event isn't shiny locked, getting a shiny Manaphy involves trading it to a save file where the egg will actually hatch shiny. Knowing this information is extremely difficult and a massive effort to do without RNG manipulation, involving soft resetting a gen 4 game file to trade with every time the Manaphy doesn't hatch correctly. This doesn't look like an RNG manipulated Pokemon at all at any rate, as an RNG manipulation would likely also take the time to obtain flawless IVs.

Unless you can tie this Pokemon to someone who took that effort, I'd say it's far more likely this was generated or altered to be shiny.

I did get the Manaphy in gen 6, yes.

I would side with the Manaphy not being legitimate. While it's true that the 4th gen event isn't shiny locked, getting a shiny Manaphy involves trading it to a save file where the egg will actually hatch shiny. Knowing this information is extremely difficult and a massive effort to do without RNG manipulation, involving soft resetting a gen 4 game file to trade with every time the Manaphy doesn't hatch correctly. This doesn't look like an RNG manipulated Pokemon at all at any rate, as an RNG manipulation would likely also take the time to obtain flawless IVs.

Unless you can tie this Pokemon to someone who took that effort, I'd say it's far more likely this was generated or altered to be shiny.
Is it possible for someone to check if it was altered or not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)