Reliablemons

No hacking required. Normalize Delcatty does not gain the accuracy boost from using Normal-type Toxic.
Ah, of course. Oh well, that kinda sucks. Still, can't believe I forgot about Normalize Delcatty, which is like the ultimate test 'mon for OMs like this.

Some things:
  • Gale wings check seems to come before the actual type changing, so Talonflame doesn't get +1 priority Flare Blitz or U-turn. Probably for the best really.
  • Kyurem-B has been quickbanned due to concerns. There hasn't been that much actual play-testing, but giving Kyurem-B a 102 base power physical ice move makes a lot of us just tremble
  • Aerodactyl is strong. Really really strong. It might need a suspect
  • A lot of things are really scary in this meta. It's very offensively driven, and games are over quickly. (Still hecka fun though!)
  • This is playable on the Aqua server: aqua.psim.us I've played a few games there and uploaded 2 replays that show how fast paced this meta is (that and we were experimenting with powerful pokemon and strategies)
  • http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-reliablemons-420
  • http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-reliablemons-425

Some things:
  • Gale wings check seems to come before the actual type changing, so Talonflame doesn't get +1 priority Flare Blitz or U-turn. Probably for the best really.
  • Kyurem-B has been quickbanned due to concerns. There hasn't been that much actual play-testing, but giving Kyurem-B a 102 base power physical ice move makes a lot of us just tremble
  • Aerodactyl is strong. Really really strong. It might need a suspect
  • A lot of things are really scary in this meta. It's very offensively driven, and games are over quickly. (Still hecka fun though!)
  • This is playable on the Aqua server: aqua.psim.us I've played a few games there and uploaded 2 replays that show how fast paced this meta is (that and we were experimenting with powerful pokemon and strategies)
  • http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-reliablemons-420
  • http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-reliablemons-425
If anything fixing that problem with Talonflame might actually solve more problems than it causes. Although as it is now, Talonflame wishes it could run Brave Bird twice, once in slot 1 for priority fire and once in slot 3 or 4 for priority flying.

I think that physically offensive Water types have a lot to gain from this metagame. Unless you're Crawdaunt, typically the best physical Water attack you can manage is Waterfall -- 80 base is kind of pathetic especially compared to special Water moves (Scald is the same power but has a 30% burn chance) or physical offerings for other types (Close Combat, Brave Bird, Earthquake). Here are a few notable improvements now that physical Water STAB can be 100-120 bp:

Gyarados has been mentioned, but the DD Mega set is especially good now. Not only can you use a move like Return/Earthquake as your water STAB, but you can play the usual trick of remaining in base form until needed, only now you have access to reliable flying STAB. Once you Mega-evolve, that same move is now Dark STAB. This essentially gives Gyarados the coverage of four attacks while still running Dragon Dance.

Kabutops is a menace in the rain, and now has a lot more versatility. Along with the standard Return/Earthquake, Lord Dome has access to Knock Off, Low Kick and Superpower, you can both replace your weak Water STAB and inaccurate Rock STAB with moves that have added benefits like removing items, punishing heavy targets and being 120 base power. You can also run Rock type Aqua Jet to pick off weakened foes or unspinblockable Rapid Spin if you're weird.

Azumaril is a similar story -- not only can it use more powerful AND accurate Water/Fairy STAB, but it can use its secondary Fairy type for Aqua Jet priority as well as utilizing Superpower, Double Edge and Knock Off as STAB. Banded, AV and even Belly Drum sets were already considered top tier, so Azumaril might be one of the biggest threats around.

Mega Swampert is self-explanatory: rain-boosted 102-120 base power Water STAB hurts coming off 150 base attack. I've seen a few Power-Up Punch sets floating around in OU, so you could be cheeky and stick it on your second slot to get STAB while sticking Earthquake in the third or fourth slot.

Mega Sharpedo's Waterfall has always felt a little weak in comparison to Crunch, but now you have two options: keep Crunch as Dark type and replace Waterfall with a higher base power move, OR give yourself a Water type Strong Jaw boosted Crunch in your first slot, along with 100 bp+ Dark type move in slot two. It depends on what type you need to hit harder.

Bibarel with Curse and Simple though

Greninja has always had a few physical sets floating around, but they've been criticized for low bp moves in comparison to special sets. No longer! With only a marginally weaker physical attack stat, Water or Dark type Return is nearly comparable to Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse. U-turn has remained a niche move on Greninja but with more incentive to run high Attack EVs and access to superior Water and Dark typings, it does a lot more than chip damage. You still have the last two slots to take advantage of Protean, so enjoy your Jolly Gunk Shot and Low Kick!

Barbaracle is...still probably trash, but one its main problems is its inaccurate, low power moves. Seriously, you thought Waterfall was bad? All this guy has is Razor Shell. Not only that, but Stone Edge doesn't even benefit from his ability. +2 Tough Claws 102-120 bp (if using Superpower) Rock or Water STAB begins to hurt a lot more than you'd expect, although I feel its still outclassed by Kabutops. Still, Barbaracle isn't reliant on rain in order to get a speed boost to pull off a sweep, so it might be worth giving it a shot.

Finally, while it is neither a physical attacker nor a Water type, I'd like to give special mention to:

Mega Sceptile suffers from an epidemic we all know and struggle with: 4mss. It wants Leaf Storm to do relevant damage, but also wants Giga Drain for recovery. As Dragon Pulse is mandatory, you're limited to one coverage move if you choose for dual Grass STAB, so most sets choose one or the other. Now you can either choose Dragon type Giga Drain (which has much better neutral coverage and thus restores more health on average) along with Grass type Leaf Storm OR Draco Meteor Dragon type Leaf Strom for a powerful nuke alongside standard Giga Drain. This leaves two spots open for Hidden Power/Focus Blast/EQ/Sub.

MEGA. BEEDRILL. IN THIS META. Bug Double-Edge or Knock Off/Poison U-turn/Protect/Drill Run tho
the set would be better as Double-Edge or Koff/Protect/U-turn/Drill Run since beedrill doesn't care enough about dual stab to give the most common defensive type in the game immunity to momentum

the set would be better as Double-Edge or Koff/Protect/U-turn/Drill Run since beedrill doesn't care enough about dual stab to give the most common defensive type in the game immunity to momentum
either that or make your nuke stab your poison one

Sorry for bumping the thread, I didn't notice that it was several months old.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash / White Herb / King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Filler (Ice Shard / Poison Jab)

Because Cloyster always wants a skill-linked water STAB.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie / Guts
- Bullet Seed
- Pin Missile
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Substitute

Because Heracross's problem is that Arm Thrust is only 90% of the power of Bullet Seed against a neutral type.

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Ancient Power
- Filler (Defog / U-turn?)

Tinted Lens STAB Giga Drain works quite well for recovery. Think of it as the poor man's Oblivion Wing.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware / Magic Guard
- Stored Power
- Cosmic Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Filler

Stored Power is much more useful as a Fairy-typed move, although you have to watch out for Heatran.

Sigilyph @ Sharp Beak / Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens / Magic Guard
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Filler

Or perhaps you'd prefer a Flying-typed Stored Power?

Last edited:
I imagine that the answer is "no", but is it permitted/possible to run the same move in two slots? For example, suppose I want my Magnezone to have both a Steel-type and an Electric-type Volt Switch. IIRC that functionality is available in default Showdown, but it's also not standard cartridge behavior and usually has no effect on Showdown, so I wanted to check.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Played a couple of games with Akumeoy today, this was really fun. Not too stallish like Camomons and not too fake-speed centric like, every other OM ever (despite existing, by virtue of being limited to standard fakespeeders, the distribution is less than in the regular meta, and they are 80 BP rather than 102 something).

This is an odd set which may or may not come in handy (might be gimmicky):

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Although you still can't paralyze electric type pokemon, Thunder-Wave is fun in this meta. In regular cases an -ate mon working in this environment seems redundant but status moves solve that problem. I don't think WoW or Toxic hit fire and poison/steel pokemon respectively (probably not) but Thunder-Wave was mainly for speed control given Gardevoir's average 100 speed. Grass Knot is due to it being quite light, but it can perhaps run Psyshock (standard) or Focus Blast in the psychic slot, but then it loses coverage.

Alternatively, it can use fairy Psyshock and Psychic Thunder-Wave - but the idea is to get T-wave without immunities barring electric, and psychic is no-sold by Dark.

I imagine that the answer is "no", but is it permitted/possible to run the same move in two slots? For example, suppose I want my Magnezone to have both a Steel-type and an Electric-type Volt Switch. IIRC that functionality is available in default Showdown, but it's also not standard cartridge behavior and usually has no effect on Showdown, so I wanted to check.
Nope, sorry. You cannot have the same move twice, even if it would be different types.

Although you still can't paralyze electric type pokemon, Thunder-Wave is fun in this meta. In regular cases an -ate mon working in this environment seems redundant but status moves solve that problem. I don't think WoW or Toxic hit fire and poison/steel pokemon respectively (probably not)
Electric Pokemon are coded to not get paralyzed, just like how Fire types can't be burnt or Ice types can't be frozen. Poison types and Steel types also cannot be poisoned, but thunder wave can now hit Ground types if it has its type changed (so it becomes like glare).

SpartanMalice

Precisely. It's similar to Thundurus' T-wave or stab conundrum, however - MGardevoir's access to pixilate solves that problem. Although I realize Grass Knot is inconsistent, Garde doesn't really have much coverage to abuse its movepool with, though perhaps it can use a psychic type Moonblast.

This meta might be similar to Metagamiate or Protean Palace. You get STAB on almost every of your move you want. Anyway, speaking of Protean Palace, I remember about something.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Do you remember the terror of Mega Medicham in Protean Palace? After STAB, it's power allows it to cleanly KO Porygon-Z with Fake Out + Bullet Punch (assuming it has no defensive investment). Now it has an even better coverage than Normal + Steel in Protean Palace. High Jump Kick is to break walls and Ice Punch is for coverage. Proof:

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Bullet Punch (Psychic type) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 160-190 (51.2 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Fake Out does the same damage neutral hit. Considering Fake Out is Fighting type now, you know what it means? Clean 1HKO. Same goes for Glalie, or anything with lower than 80/80 Defense uninvested. Wall and sweepers, good luck dealing with this.

ADAPTABILITY

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return/Knock Off
- Knock Off/Return
- Protect
- Filler

Crawdaunt @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Return
- Crabhammer
- Dragon Dance

SpartanMalice

Crabhammer seems redundant to be honest, despite the crit chance and Superpower's stat drops. Remember that physical attackers can always opt for Facade as one of their STABs as it enables at least one usable STAB, which seems to be a godsend for Adaptability mons.

In Crabhammer's place, despite it being a Dragon Dance set I'd consider Aqua Jet due to the prevalence of priority in this.

Had a few good games with Ghoul King.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-reliablemons-3006
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-reliablemons-3007

One thing that stands out, at least on my end, is Terrakion with a Rock-type Quick Attack. Paired with Swords Dance, it can do substantial damage to the various Flying-types abusing their new STABs (Noivern is OHKOed at +2, for example), save for things like Landorus-T and Gliscor. Anti-meta.

Archeops is an option for something that resists Flying, but is otherwise inferior.

Sorry for bumping the thread, I didn't notice that it was several months old.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash / White Herb / King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Filler (Ice Shard / Poison Jab)

Because Cloyster always wants a skill-linked water STAB.
You can actually use Spike Cannon for the Water Stab while having Rock Blast as coverage. I'd have that as an option.

Machamp finally gets Mach Punch (Bullet Punch first slot).
Tyrantrum is gonna be my favorite for sure, Strong Jaw crunch and an elemental fang for a 120 and 100 STAB, one with a defense drop chance and one with a status/flinch. I'd probly have crunch be rock type and fire fang be dragon type, but that's me. Life Orb + DD or Lum + RockPolish would be good sets.
Also..

Golem @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant
-Sucker Punch
-Explosion
-Earthquake/Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

Golem gets a strong, great type priority STAB with Sucker Punch. 120 BP Rock priority would be amazing, and an explosion at 375 BP will KO loads of things. Or instead of Explosion + Custap + Sturdy you could go for Double-Edge + Leftovers/LO + Rock Head for a strong, reliable ground STAB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)