Seek and Destroy - An OU Warstory by reyscarface and Syl

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh man I can see why this topic is popular! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. You guys are awesome battlers and that match was simply divine. Your use of your pokemon truly impressed me. Especially Gliscor and Magnezone, who imo were that star players.

10/10

I haven't been here for long, but this is the best war story ive read so far. It was a kool battle to. Gj both of you guys. 10/10

I think its nice to see a good warstory after all the usually sub-par ones posted lately.
Good job guys, very well written. :)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Great warstory, thanks for this. My first thought was 'aaah, not another warstory' but I perked up a bit when I saw it was reyscarface. As soon as Starmie came in on Gyarados I had a feeling that Syl was gonna go for the DD just based on his unorthodox nature but when I thought about it it seemed very risky (and not just for the obvious reason) - Syl was obviously banking on you using Rapid Spin but if Starmie was indeed running the standard Rapid Spin EV spread he would have been able to survive +1 LO EQ or SE. I guess you were running a 4/252/252 spread? So Syls move was even more ballsy than it appeared at first glance (maybe even bordering on reckless!) but it paid off handsomely so it's cool!

Another thing that concerned me was rey's confidence that Weavile would be able to revenge Syl's +1 Adamant Gyarados because if Gyara were to run 252 Spe, he'd have 391 speed compared to Weavile's 383. Of course there's no guarantee he'd go 252 as I know a lot of Gyara just use enough to outspeed Starmie after the boost but the analysis does reccomend 252 Spe and according to Dougs stats 48.2% of Gyara run max speed (and that stat deceives a little considering how popular Bulky Gyara/ResTalk Gyara is) so it's probably better to assume that Weavile cannot outrun +1 offensive Gyarados.

The fact I've dissected points like that should show just how much I enjoyed it, so once again - good job! 5 stars for sure.

Haha! Great warstory Rey and Syl! If I hadn't watch the battle live I would've been much more thrilled, but hell it was still a great battle/read the second time around. Keep up the good work guys :] I look forward to seeing more warstories from both of you.

Btw, the guy you named your alt after must be some amazing dude eh Rey? :x

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Good warstory here rey and syl, it gave me a good laugh because when I noticed rey was running Team WEAVILE and that syl had a Gyarados I kept thinking "Earthquake Gyarados sweep go". I really enjoyed the read because the prediction was good on both sides, the comments were good, and I was interested by Agility Gliscor whom I now want to try out. Good game guys, 10/10.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great Warstory!

Just one thing: Gyarados appeared to lose absolutely no health whatsoever to Starmie's Rapid Spin when you gave the percentages after each turn. Made no difference though of course, but a bit confusing.

Great psychological tricks from Rey - definitely part of the game. Not cheating.

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Dude.This.Was.Awesome.

Especially with all these bad warstories popping up lately.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Reyscarface, this battle was amazing, considering many other warstories sucked. This is why you should run your own sets, instead of just copying off Smogon all the time. It gets way too predictable, and Syl used his own unorthodox sets to gain a huge advantage. Oh, and btw, I absolutely hate players who bluff during a match, it requires way too much thinking. Plus, its a really dirty trick. But, good game to both of you.

What a fantastic warstory. The excellent format and brilliant comments perfectly complemented the engaging and tense battle which included effective use of creative Pokemon and movesets.

Great job! This is definitely one of the best warstories around.

I think Syl played better than ILJ as far as predictions went; while ILJ made a few cunning plays, like baiting Stone Edge with Mence to switch to Magnezone, he also made a few questionable sacrifices (letting Weavile fall with Gyarados and Gliscor both in the wings) and some fairly simple mistakes (not using Substitute against Azelf when Stealth Rock was the obvious play, given you'd just revealed Salamence in the wings).

However.

This was an entertaining battle and the description of thought processes was great. A nice change from the recent batch of mediocre warstories.

An excellent change from all the bad warstories that have been popping up lately. It was an excellent battle and the comments were very well writen. Nice work reyscarface and Syl.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Thanks everyone for commenting in our warstory!

Answering some questions with this post.

I think Syl played better than ILJ as far as predictions went; while ILJ made a few cunning plays, like baiting Stone Edge with Mence to switch to Magnezone, he also made a few questionable sacrifices (letting Weavile fall with Gyarados and Gliscor both in the wings)
Sorry, but I only had a Gliscor, he is the one who had Gyarados, believe me if I had Gyarados I wouldnt have sacrificed Weavile. Also, I didnt bring in Gliscor because I needed it to stop the Lucario and his possible last, and I thought it was a Mixape, not an SD Ape, so I was really afraid of HP Ice. I switched in Magnezone to take a HP Ice btw, I wasnt expecting Stone Edge.

and some fairly simple mistakes (not using Substitute against Azelf when Stealth Rock was the obvious play, given you'd just revealed Salamence in the wings).
In my opinion, SR wasnt the "obvious play" considering it was end game, and id rather kill the Azelf than wasting a turn by subbing, since I really thought he had Fire Punch because he didnt Trick Aerodactyl Turn 1.

Oh, and btw, I absolutely hate players who bluff during a match, it requires way too much thinking. Plus, its a really dirty trick. But, good game to both of you.
I didnt really mean to confuse Syl with that (well, you got me, I actually thought it could help lol), but I only said "gg", not "Damn gg I lost, I have no HP Ice on this". I think you guys cant say I "lied" =P

Btw, the guy you named your alt after must be some amazing dude eh Rey? :x
Nah he sucks actually. (jk I love you cutie)

Syl was obviously banking on you using Rapid Spin but if Starmie was indeed running the standard Rapid Spin EV spread he would have been able to survive +1 LO EQ or SE. I guess you were running a 4/252/252 spread?
Correct, sir. I am using 252/252 mainly because I enjoy very much 2HKOing Rotom. I could have LO here, but I like lefties since I dont have Leftovers or Wish Support in this team.
And yeah, I usually rely too much on Weavile to stop Adamant Gyarados, maybe I should stop assuming people use HP EVs to stop Scizor better x)

Yes! A Weavile user ^_^.Nice Warstory. I also agree Weavile should get Crunch o.0.
Weavile is the best! Its sad to see how underrated it is though...

Again, thanks everyone for commenting on it, Syl and me appreciate it, and its good to see you enjoyed it!

Btw, I removed most of my cursing words, since some people disliked it, hopefully it is now a better read for everyone.

I also changed the percentages on Gyarados from the Rapid Spin hit, thanks for catching that out, jc104!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really great battle guys!

What Weavile really needs is not Crunch, but Technician (Faint Attack, Ice Shard, etc.). . . :D

I'm glad to see another great warstory coming from you, rey. The battle was full of prediction at almost every turn, and came down to a close finish. The way you did the comments was good as well, because it shows both players' predictions. This warstory should go in the Archive.

Thanks everyone for commenting in our warstory!

Answering some questions with this post.

Sorry, but I only had a Gliscor, he is the one who had Gyarados, believe me if I had Gyarados I wouldnt have sacrificed Weavile. Also, I didnt bring in Gliscor because I needed it to stop the Lucario and his possible last, and I thought it was a Mixape, not an SD Ape, so I was really afraid of HP Ice. I switched in Magnezone to take a HP Ice btw, I wasnt expecting Stone Edge.
Oh, that's what I meant; sacrificing Weavile when you had Gyarados and Gliscor to deal with, for which the Revenge killer would have been valuable.

In my opinion, SR wasnt the "obvious play" considering it was end game, and id rather kill the Azelf than wasting a turn by subbing, since I really thought he had Fire Punch because he didnt Trick Aerodactyl Turn 1.
He had nothing else really to deal with full-strength Mence, and allowing Mence to get in without SR is a crazy notion.

What was the final attacking move on Gyarados, BTW guys? Stone Edge, Waterfall, Ice Fang seems like dodgy coverage, I'd have taken EQ over Ice Fang/Stone Edge for sure.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This was a great battle and warstory! It certainly was an engaging battle and I was constantly wondering what both of you would do next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)