SEXP

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
There needs to be a written document produced outlining SEXP for peer review purposes. For such an important part of the site, it sucks that even the admins of the site don't have a handy reference.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Will this document be made available to the general public?

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I'm not going to comment on that, as I have heard good reasons for and against releasing to the public.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
depending on the people you want to "peer review" SEXP, this shouldn't be a problem. x-act should definitely know the ins and outs of the formula, and the only reason he wasn't immediately included is because i went over it with doug first at length and because x-act did not have a direct hand in the suspect test process like aeolus, doug and i do. as i've told doug, i feel x-act should know the details of the formula because he's:

1) responsible enough that doug and i can trust him
2) actually a literal mathematician who is therefore an expert on the subject matter, and
3) doesn't play the ladders and therefore doesn't stand to gain from knowing the details of the formula

i focus on x-act because literally every other admin knows the formula but misty and mekkah. i went over it in detail with doug. i gave you the formula when you asked for it and explained it until you said it was sufficient. i gave aeolus the formula when he returned from his leave and we've discussed improvements since then. bk and i have had multiple discussions about him utilizing sexp for the tutor program, and i would imagine that he's spoken with doug about gathering the stats and SEXP for the program. if the reason you'd like misty and mekkah to know the details of the formula is because they have the title of administrator that's fine, but otherwise it would help doug and myself if you posted any other reason(s) you want SEXP to be peer reviewed besides admins not having a reference.

was i the only one who saw the thread title and imagined the concept of 'sexual experience points'??

I don't have much to do with suspect tests at all and I'm nowhere near as mathematically inclined as X-Act, so for peer review purposes, there would be no need to give it to me. However, I'm quite curious what it is, so I wouldn't mind going over it with someone. But it's not necessary by any means.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have been provided the formula by Doug earlier today.

At first glance, the variables used in it make sense. However, I'd like to have an explanation of why the variables were kinda amalgamated together in that way to create the formula.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm probably speaking out of line, but if possible, I'd like to take a look at the formula.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
3) doesn't play the ladders and therefore doesn't stand to gain from knowing the details of the formula
If the goal of the formula is to find battlers who make its variables "go higher" (acquire SEXP), why are they not allowed to know what the formula considers "experience with a Pokémon"? If there's something so horribly wrong with the formula that it must be kept secret to work (i.e it's not just "battles with latias versus battles without latias"), then the formula can't be good to begin with.

aside from my "pedantic" arguing over something I can't learn about, I would like someone to peer review the formula to look for ways in which variables other than "how much the suspect is seen and used" can be eliminated so that the details can actually be made public. I would suggest Colin.

chaos

Owner
depending on the people you want to "peer review" SEXP, this shouldn't be a problem. x-act should definitely know the ins and outs of the formula, and the only reason he wasn't immediately included is because i went over it with doug first at length and because x-act did not have a direct hand in the suspect test process like aeolus, doug and i do. as i've told doug, i feel x-act should know the details of the formula because he's:

1) responsible enough that doug and i can trust him
2) actually a literal mathematician who is therefore an expert on the subject matter, and

i focus on x-act because literally every other admin knows the formula but misty and mekkah. i went over it in detail with doug. i gave you the formula when you asked for it and explained it until you said it was sufficient. i gave aeolus the formula when he returned from his leave and we've discussed improvements since then. bk and i have had multiple discussions about him utilizing sexp for the tutor program, and i would imagine that he's spoken with doug about gathering the stats and SEXP for the program. if the reason you'd like misty and mekkah to know the details of the formula is because they have the title of administrator that's fine, but otherwise it would help doug and myself if you posted any other reason(s) you want SEXP to be peer reviewed besides admins not having a reference.
Most of the reason for producing a formal document was so that X-Act could take a look at it, so I am glad you agree. Also, -I- don't have a solid understanding of the formula, just an informal walkthrough (somewhere in my logs) and an Excel spreadsheet (who knows where)

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
My understanding is probably not that great either, I wasn't aware that the possibility of collecting data for the Battling 101 program was open to be honest! In that regard I was sort of flying blind (ie. you qualified or you didn't), although that's my own fault for not asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)