Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Can I use the Uber set ferrothorn in OU? if so, why go for any other set?
Yes, and the Ubers set isn't there because it's banned in OU, it's there because it's the best Ferrothorn set for the Ubers metagame. There may be better sets for OU because Ferrothorn is used to deal with different threats than in Ubers.

Im having a devestating problem team building and want to succeed and have fun while doing it. What are some key elements I should incorporate into a team?

I'm tired of my Scarf Keldeo letting in bulky water types for free. Would it be a good choice to run HP Electric over Icy Wind, or is the latter move too important?

I'm tired of my Scarf Keldeo letting in bulky water types for free. Would it be a good choice to run HP Electric over Icy Wind, or is the latter move too important?
The most common bulky water type now is Toxapex and Scarf Keldeo cant get over it no mattet what so dont try to beat it with Scarf Keldeo. HP Electric only hits Mantine for noticeable damage while other bulky water types in the tiers are Alomomola, Gastrodon, Suicine are not even tickled.

If those bulky water types really bother you then i'd run Toxic over HP Electric. You dont kill them right away but they're pretty much dead in the long run. Otherwise, Icy Wind lets you revenge Zygarde, Garchomp, Salamence much more reliably.

Would it be smart to run a Taunt - Calm Mind - Moonblast - Hydropump/Scald Tapu Fini? I like the damage + utility, but what item should I run if I'm already using Leftovers on a defensive Zapdos? Choice doesn't seem that solid if I'm running taunt.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Would it be smart to run a Taunt - Calm Mind - Moonblast - Hydropump/Scald? I like the damage + utility, but what item should I run if I'm already using Leftovers on a defensive Zapdos? Choice doesn't seem that solid if I'm running taunt.
I'm guessing you're refering to Tapu Fini, in which case Lefties should be used on CM sets.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
What's a good Nidoking core and ways to support such a core?
Nidoking in general struggles against offensive teams, but does well against balance and stall (vs Pex/Celes/Venu it has Earth Power for Pex and I guess Venu tho it's a bit tough for it to break, and Fire Blast for Celesteela). Thus, a mon that can cover up this weakness would be helpful, like Koko and Ash Gren. It's also worth noting that it appreciates VoltTurn, Spikes and some way to beat Dugtrio, which is the main thing that stops it against stall.

Who would be a good teammate(s) for this core? I'm building a team around Life Orb Infernape because of it's good coverage and ability to break through Skarm/Tran/Ferro/Chansey cores all in one. The moves can be changed on it but I don't want to use the standard scarf set. I added Smeargle so webs would prevent Infernape from being checked by faster threats and I'd like to keep Smeargle in the core but it's not mandatory. I've also been using Mega Scizor to U-turn on Heatran/Ferro/Skarm etc. to bring nape in while also pursuit trapping and switching into the annoying Lati@s. Finally I've also tried using spike stacking with Greninja or Chesnaught as a strategy but it hasn't been working to well. I like the three mon core I posted but the only part I have to keep is Life Orb (Expert Belt?) Infernape. Infernape also has some other interesting options such as Hidden Power Ice, Swords Dance, Gunk Shot, U-turn, Flare Blitz/Fire Punch, and Stone Edge

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Taunt

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 92 Def / 124 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Roost

Last edited:
Who would be a good teammate(s) for this core? I'm building a team around Life Orb Infernape because of it's good coverage and ability to break through Skarm/Tran/Ferro/Chansey cores all in one. The moves can be changed on it but I don't want to use the standard scarf set. I added Smeargle so webs would prevent Infernape from being checked by faster threats and I'd like to keep Smeargle in the core but it's not mandatory. I've also been using Mega Scizor to U-turn on Heatran/Ferro/Skarm etc. to bring nape in while also pursuit trapping and switching into the annoying Lati@s. Finally I've also tried using spike stacking with Greninja or Chesnaught as a strategy but it hasn't been working to well. I like the three mon core I posted but the only part I have to keep is Life Orb (Expert Belt?) Infernape. Infernape also has some other interesting options such as Hidden Power Ice, Swords Dance, Gunk Shot, U-turn, Flare Blitz/Fire Punch, and Stone Edge

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Taunt

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Roost
If you're gonna use Sticky webs Smeargle you should have it support your whole team, not just one pokemon. You might wanna replace Scizor with mega Pinsir, who is the mega evo of choice on sticky webs teams. Other SW staples include Bisharp and Mimikyu. Life orb Nape could work decently well on SW I guess.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Taunt

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Roost
Basically to agree with what Swaggy said, Pinsir is the best mega on Webs. You're also gonna want counters to hazard removal, in the form of a spin blocker and a defog deterrence, which as stated above, might come in the form of mimikyu and bisharp.

A few questions about mega steelix and aggron. Are they viable?Which one has the bigger niche? What are their best sets? Is avalanche mega aggron good? Is it worth building around them? lol also what are good partners for them?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
A few questions about mega steelix and aggron. Are they viable?Which one has the bigger niche? What are their best sets? Is avalanche mega aggron good? Is it worth building around them? lol also what are good partners for them?
Neither are viable in this current meta. There are tons and tons of other Steels to choose from, all of which either have reliable recovery, greater special bulk, better typings, more utility, less opportunity cost with the Mega slot, or a combination of these elements. Use Celesteela, Scizor-Mega, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Magearna, Heatran or even Jirachi instead.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Z celebrate Victini is a bad set, but iirc it's celebrate/stored power/searing shot/coverage with max speed and special attack. It's bad - +1100 speed still sucks, and it has trouble vs rain and stall.
It's not entirely bad and is arguably better than CB in the meta just because of how difficult it can be to revenge kill and its coverage is really good. Last coverage slot is usually Focus Blast for T-tar/Heatran.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I was reading Skarmory analysis, when that appeared

"A moveset of Stealth Rock / Spikes / Taunt / Brave Bird can be used alongside Sturdy and either Flyinium Z or Salac Berry to allow Skarmory to function as a suicide lead on hyper offense"

Which is the EV spread for this set in particular? is it the same physically defensive set's EV spread or it requires another one?

I was reading Skarmory analysis, when that appeared

"A moveset of Stealth Rock / Spikes / Taunt / Brave Bird can be used alongside Sturdy and either Flyinium Z or Salac Berry to allow Skarmory to function as a suicide lead on hyper offense"

Which is the EV spread for this set in particular? is it the same physically defensive set's EV spread or it requires another one?
I assume it is Jolly max Speed and max Attack if running SSSS otherwise slap the rest into HP. I don't know for sure but that should be it.

How to beat Stallbreakers that destroyed Stall?
I have seen always much information that destroy STALL, and in OU is difficult to use because of the number of Stallbreakers and Wallbreakers. Could soneone post a thread about stallbreakers and the way to lead with them? or just paste from another place, because i dont find it anywhere. Thanks for the help :) :)

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
How to beat Stallbreakers that destroyed Stall?
I have seen always much information that destroy STALL, and in OU is difficult to use because of the number of Stallbreakers and Wallbreakers. Could soneone post a thread about stallbreakers and the way to lead with them? or just paste from another place, because i dont find it anywhere. Thanks for the help :) :)
Most of them are beaten by Focus Sash Dugtrio

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 21 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Pursuit / Toxic

Pursuit is necesary to deal with ghost type stallbreakers like Alolan Marowak or Taunt Gengar. Alternatively, you can use Toxic to put a timer to stallbreakers like Tapu Bulu. Since then it can threaten dangerous stallbreakers like Hoopa-U (well, that's technically a wallbreaker, but it puts heavy pressure to stall) No Shed Shell Tapu Lele, Taunt Heatran, and others.

Most of the wallbreakers and stallbreakers you can see in the OU compendium list you can see there http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-role-compendium.3591882/ can be defeated by Dugtrio, just remember to have a good hazard control with Double Defog (Zapdos/Skarmory) or Mega Sableye and Skarmory to keep sash intact!

If I remember correctly, banded Zygarde, Kartana and -probably- Serperior have a good match up against stall and can't be beaten that easily with Dugtrio. Tapu Koko, Togekiss (rarely seen in this meta) Taunt Thundurus, Gliscor (rarely seen in this meta too) and Tornadus-T can escape from Dugtrio, so I don't know exactly how to deal with them

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)