Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

A follow up question- Should I run roost over earthquake? With flare blitz, I feel like I need recovery to be able to maintain a presence throughout the game.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
A follow up question- Should I run roost over earthquake? With flare blitz, I feel like I need recovery to be able to maintain a presence throughout the game.
If you really want your Zard X to put in work anytime other than late-game, it's best to go for both and drop Dragon Dance. Otherwise, you could run Roost over EQ, but Zard X would really have to be limited to late-game.

What are good leads atm: I remember landorus-therian and tapu koko (especially z wild charge with taunt) being popular, and that previous common leads like smeargle/shuckle and ninetales-alola (representing sticky webs and aurora veil respectively) have fallen off due to new meta trends such as mega diance making webs near impossible to set up and the previously mentioned tapu koko being able to shut down av. Back to the question: what are good leads other than sash double hazard greninja, suicide lead excadrill, tapu koko, and lando-t?

What are good leads atm: I remember landorus-therian and tapu koko (especially z wild charge with taunt) being popular, and that previous common leads like smeargle/shuckle and ninetales-alola (representing sticky webs and aurora veil respectively) have fallen off due to new meta trends such as mega diance making webs near impossible to set up and the previously mentioned tapu koko being able to shut down av. Back to the question: what are good leads other than sash double hazard greninja, suicide lead excadrill, tapu koko, and lando-t?
You've already mentioned the main ones, and I'm not completely confident that this is a good lead in general, but I like the idea of heatran :

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Electric]

There are other viable EV spreads for 'tran, and it can also use a Modest nature effectively.

Dugtrio is gone, but Air Balloon is still good against lando/excadrill leads, as well as the uncommon opposing heatran lead.
Flash cannon came to mind for STAB and theoretically mega diancie lead, which may carry earth power. Use FC as it protects and then SR.
HP ice for landos that stay in, and for 104 speed-EV zygarde.
HP electric would be for pelipper leads, if you really hate dealing with rain teams.

Heat also has decent matchup against koko, ninetales/shuckle/smeargle, and TR leads.

Magma Storm and Taunt are really what make Heat stand out as a SR setter, since it is also one of the best stallbreakers .
To have a good chance to beat stall, you'll want to pair it with another stallbreaker for sure.
Even if stall has fallen post-duggy, I personally want to be ready to efficiently beat stall at all times.

And against non-stall, MS+taunt+second-attack help wear down bulky stuff like tyranitar, fini, and dragons/waters generally.
So to me, something that can be arguably be both a lead and stallbreaker is just wicked cool imo.
(Koko might fit that bill, but it cant setup SR)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hi, you seem to be misunderstanding the concept of a lead. Outside of specific playstyles like ho and tr, there isnt such a thing as the "lead role" on a team. When building a team, you don't really think about what mon you're going to use as a lead because it depends on the team matchup. You don't pick your lead until you're at Team Preview and get to see your opponent's team. That said, mons like sash Excadrill and Sash Landorus-T are considered suicide leads because theyre used to set up rocks and faint to keep momentum, which only fits HO teams.

Can someone explain to me why scarf jirachi is a viable set? It can't beat any set up sweeper, is extremely easy to wall, and is extremely weak meaning it can't really beat any offensive threat reliably. While I get it helps you abuse flinches better, that is entirely luck based and isn't a respectable niche to me over any scarfer in the tier.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Can someone explain to me why scarf jirachi is a viable set? It can't beat any set up sweeper, is extremely easy to wall, and is extremely weak meaning it can't really beat any offensive threat reliably. While I get it helps you abuse flinches better, that is entirely luck based and isn't a respectable niche to me over any scarfer in the tier.
It is shit in this meta, yes, but in general, effects with at least a 30% chance of happening are considered reliable enough. That 60% chance is still rather good enough to get a lot of hax and kill things.
It's still shit in this meta tho. It's ranked B- on the sets viability rankings because serene grace iron head is that good but it's pretty bad otherwise.

It is shit in this meta, yes, but in general, effects with at least a 30% chance of happening are considered reliable enough. That 60% chance is still rather good enough to get a lot of hax and kill things.
It's still shit in this meta tho. It's ranked B- on the sets viability rankings because serene grace iron head is that good but it's pretty bad otherwise.
Thanks for you reply. Could you show me a replay of a scarf jirachi putting work in a game outside of the lower ladder? Becuase every good team has a resistance to steel, so I'm not sure hax is a good enough niche, especially when any pokemon can use hax to an extent anyway. It also hasn't seen much ladder or tournament success unless if I missed some replays.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Thanks for you reply. Could you show me a replay of a scarf jirachi putting work in a game outside of the lower ladder? Becuase every good team has a resistance to steel, so I'm not sure hax is a good enough niche, especially when any pokemon can use hax to an extent anyway. It also hasn't seen much ladder or tournament success unless if I missed some replays.
I don't have one myself, sorry. Doubt anyone does because it's shit but aim might have something on his channel, idk.

What do ppl think about happy hour jirachi? What would be the best three moves on it in today's meta? Or is HH jirachi just outclassed, and if so by what?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
What do ppl think about happy hour jirachi? What would be the best three moves on it in today's meta? Or is HH jirachi just outclassed, and if so by what?
It's outclassed by pretty much any other set up sweeper. It's weak even at +1 and isn't fast enough to really abuse iron head. If you really wanna use it, I'd say Iron Head, Fire Punch and Thunder Punch, tho zhb/heart stamp could go in place of t punch. Note that I'm not aware of move illegalities with happy hour.
Man we uu players just got this alcoholic to rehab and ppl are already trying to get it drunk again.

It's outclassed by pretty much any other set up sweeper. It's weak even at +1 and isn't fast enough to really abuse iron head. If you really wanna use it, I'd say Iron Head, Fire Punch and Thunder Punch, tho zhb/heart stamp could go in place of t punch. Note that I'm not aware of move illegalities with happy hour.
Man we uu players just got this alcoholic to rehab and ppl are already trying to get it drunk again.
Haha good one ... i don't imagine that rachi would be so serene or graceful after a few shots

I was sorta curious if rachi could run like SR + HH ... a steel SR-setter that could outspeed and threaten offense, a la worse mega gross.
Also drain punch might be an option to dmg both heatran and ferro and get some health back ...

but yea i agree its gimmicky and its power is meh. better off using other steels like tran, mage, msciz, ferro and use the z-move in a better way

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Haha good one ... i don't imagine that rachi would be so serene or graceful after a few shots

I was sorta curious if rachi could run like SR + HH ... a steel SR-setter that could outspeed and threaten offense, a la worse mega gross.
Also drain punch might be an option to dmg both heatran and ferro and get some health back ...

but yea i agree its gimmicky and its power is meh. better off using other steels like tran, mage, msciz, ferro and use the z-move in a better way
Yeah, don't use zhh + rocks, it's still not fast enough and it only gets one chance, in addition to being easily walled with only 2 attacks. Drunk guys throwing stones never ends well.
If you want a steel rocker, use tran or even ferro, tho rachi's main niche is a bulky rocks set and that's decently viable. If you want an offensive sweeper, use SD scizor-mega, it's heat in this meta. Flynium z autotomize celesteela is also good. robopoke also came up with a physical set, tagging him for the EVs but it's autotomize, acrobatics, heavy slam and eq with adamant nature and a type seed I believe.

If you want somethig similar to this but with viability, perhaps try Z-Celebrate Victinia with Stored Power, Searing Shot and Focus Blast I believe is the last move they run. Though not a top sweeper, its really fun and has solids bulk after the boost:)

Happy hour jirachi is absolutely terrible. It's beat by every scarfer except for tapu lele. Is weak even when boosted, and is extremely easy to wall. There are much better set up sweepers in the meta.

Last edited:
Outclassed by hh victini i'd say, with better offensive typing in this meta and good moves to abuse the boosts

Im trying to build around the SubSwarm Volcarona set, and I really need a Heatran Lure. I'm thinking Focus Punch Mawile but what are other great Heatran Lures?

Im trying to build around the SubSwarm Volcarona set, and I really need a Heatran Lure. I'm thinking Focus Punch Mawile but what are other great Heatran Lures?
Sorry,but i forgot to say this,you could use earth power instead because it does bypass grassy terrain so heatran gets hit harder,also you can keep defog on this mew set so you can defog hazards and bluff the standard set, the only downside is that you wont be able of hitting lando,zygarde and chomp with ice beam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)