Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Are there any examples of Bulu sets with Leech Seed working in the current meta? I'd love to have Grassy Terrain + Leech Seed to keep things like TTar and other CB breakers topped off, but I don't know if it's worth using in any scenario over AV.
I think its absolutely worth using over AV, but Im on mobile and dont have a set on me nor a great way to paste it.
I’d say the best set is subseed + horn leech, with the last move being Stone edge, super power, or
wood hammer. However ive also had success with leech, SD, horn leech, and Z+superpower.

Bischler

Banned deucer.
Are there any examples of Bulu sets with Leech Seed working in the current meta? I'd love to have Grassy Terrain + Leech Seed to keep things like TTar and other CB breakers topped off, but I don't know if it's worth using in any scenario over AV.
Leech sets are definitely worth using over AV, it all depends on what you want for your team. AV has naturally more offensive pressure, while Seed is better for supporting other mons on your team. The spread I'm using is an "old" gen7 one of 224 hp, 52 def, 232 spd careful, great check for all other tapus. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out atm, is if adding Synthesis is worth it, now that Bulu can learn that move, and if yes, what to replace with it (most likely Whirlwind/SD).

Last edited:
Simple question, but I'm curious as to the response. Why post official procedures for Banning/Suspect testing if you're not going to use them?

Or rather, why did you skip this portion

I realize that most of the members of the council felt the same way in regards to the Nagandel ban, but I (and maybe others) don't see why that would mean you should handle it any differently than you previously said you would.

The same thing goes for suspect tests on Lando-T and Toxapex, there is clearly enough chatter behind the topic.

It says "If there is enough demand." It doesn't say anything about what the majority of the council feels, but unfortunately that has been used by many as a reply to excuse it away.

Ultimately I'd like to culminate all that with an opinion. I believe the council has been overstepping the boundaries it has set for itself and certain members actively stifle opposing discussion. I would like to address these concerns publically, so that others who may feel the same way can voice their opinions as well. (Without a fear of being pilled on)

Anyway, that's all. Merely curious if the reported increase in transparency will be something that actually occurs.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Simple question, but I'm curious as to the response. Why post official procedures for Banning/Suspect testing if you're not going to use them?

I realize that most of the members of the council felt the same way in regards to the Nagandel ban, but I (and maybe others) don't see why that would mean you should handle it any differently than you previously said you would.

The same thing goes for suspect tests on Lando-T and Toxapex, there is clearly enough chatter behind the topic.

It says "If there is enough demand." It doesn't say anything about what the majority of the council feels, but unfortunately that has been used by many as a reply to excuse it away.

Ultimately I'd like to culminate all that with an opinion. I believe the council has been overstepping the boundaries it has set for itself and certain members actively stifle opposing discussion. I would like to address these concerns publically, so that others who may feel the same way can voice their opinions as well. (Without a fear of being pilled on)

Anyway, that's all. Merely curious if the reported increase in transparency will be something that actually occurs.
Naganadel was a quickban, which is usually handled exclusively by the council (ala marshadow ban) to ‘fix’ the metagame asap. It may be an overstepping of boundaries, but I’d rather not have to deal with marshadow or whatever for another week. Also, the metagame discussion thread basically became a Naganadel ban discussion thread lol

For the second point, a Toxapex suspect may be on the horizon (it’s been mentioned here or there), and a vast majority a ban-lando arguments come from more uninformed ladder players and has very little council and tournament support for why it should be banned. Every single ban-lando argument I’ve seen flare up has been soundly defeated by the no-ban group, as it really isn’t broken, just incredibly flexible in what roles it can run and therefore makes it onto a lot of teams while still being pretty easy to handle for the opponent offensively or defensively. If anybody turns this post into a ban lando argument pls don’t
Usage=\=Broken in many cases

Because Naganadel was a Quickban, not a Suspect Test

Bischler

Banned deucer.
Naganadel was a quickban, which is usually handled exclusively by the council (ala marshadow ban) to ‘fix’ the metagame asap. It may be an overstepping of boundaries, but I’d rather not have to deal with marshadow or whatever for another week. Also, the metagame discussion thread basically became a Naganadel ban discussion thread lol

For the second point, a Toxapex suspect may be on the horizon (it’s been mentioned here or there), and a vast majority a ban-lando arguments come from more uninformed ladder players and has very little council and tournament support for why it should be banned. Every single ban-lando argument I’ve seen flare up has been soundly defeated by the no-ban group, as it really isn’t broken, just incredibly flexible in what roles it can run and therefore makes it onto a lot of teams while still being pretty easy to handle for the opponent offensively or defensively. If anybody turns this post into a ban lando argument pls don’t
Usage=\=Broken in many cases
If you make a post like this with a subliminal shot at pro-ban players, then leave out the part about "pls don't turn this into a ban lando argument"

Either you start a discussion, then you stand for it, or if you can't/don't want to, don't mention it at the first hand.

Outside of that, while there's plenty of ACTUAL arguments that WOULD warrant a lando ban, "muh usage" isn't one of them. It's just sadly one of the things used most often as a pseudo-argument by those pro-ban but unable to see the actual issues, which is one of the reason why the pro-ban-community has such a bad reputation

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
If you make a post like this with a subliminal shot at pro-ban players, then leave out the part about "pls don't turn this into a ban lando argument"

Either you start a discussion, then you stand for it, or if you can't/don't want to, don't mention it at the first hand.

Outside of that, while there's plenty of ACTUAL arguments that WOULD warrant a lando ban, "muh usage" isn't one of them. It's just sadly one of the things used most often as a pseudo-argument by those pro-ban but unable to see the actual issues, which is one of the reason why the pro-ban-community has such a bad reputation
It wasn’t a shot at the pro ban group, I was just stating that it consists mostly of ladder players while the OU council and established tournament players are against a ban. If it sounded like an insult, it wasn’t, it was just me saying that the pro ban group typically consists of less seasoned players (not saying they all are). And there’s been plenty of valid arguments brought up for a ban, such as movepool, bulk+power, sweeping capability, unpredictableness, utility, etc but there are plenty of valid counter arguments (such as low speed tier + exploitable weaknesses making it easy for offense to check, solid defensive counterplay in Pokémon such as cele, tang, etc depending on the set). While I’m all for discussion it typically dissolved into bashing the council/bashing the pro-ban group and is overall really toxic, hence why a suspect discussion thread doesn’t really exist. If you want more info for why there’s no Lando suspect I’d recommend PMing a council member.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AV Bulu is simply the superior pick in the current metagame. AV still has access to recovery between Horn Leech and Grassy Terrain, while its overall utility is significantly higher than SubSeed. Running AV instead of SubSeed opens up room for more effective offensive options, namely a more powerful stab in Wood Hammer and the ability to deal with some of its defensive answers better in Nature's Madness. The special bulk afforded by AV makes Bulu a much more reliable answer to threats it checks like Specs Koko and Ash Gren while opening up the ability to check some threats that are out of reach for non-AV, such as Mega Diancie and Scarf Lele. With AV, you're getting more offensive and defensive utility out of Bulu than SubSeed.

Bischler

Banned deucer.
AV Bulu is simply the superior pick in the current metagame. AV still has access to recovery between Horn Leech and Grassy Terrain, while its overall utility is significantly higher than SubSeed. Running AV instead of SubSeed opens up room for more effective offensive options, namely a more powerful stab in Wood Hammer and the ability to deal with some of its defensive answers better in Nature's Madness. The special bulk afforded by AV makes Bulu a much more reliable answer to threats it checks like Specs Koko and Ash Gren while opening up the ability to check some threats that are out of reach for non-AV, such as Mega Diancie and Scarf Lele. With AV, you're getting more offensive and defensive utility out of Bulu than SubSeed.
Diancie is in fact handled better by subseed sets because of the extra points in defense, same with specs/plate lele (i know you listed scarf, just adding this in here for people), the rest is true. I'd only run subseed in very specific teams like some semistall variants. On Balance and BO, AV is the superior choice for the reasons mentioned.

What are some pokemon that go well with this core in the current metagame?

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs(or really any koko set)
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power
- Roost

What are some pokemon that go well with this core in the current metagame?

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs(or really any koko set)
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power
- Roost
Hawlucha with Electric Seed immediately jumps out for more terrain synergy and to provide that physical presence and speed. Then it depends if you wanna go HO or more balanced. A reliable setter would be necessary either way,

Hawlucha with Electric Seed immediately jumps out for more terrain synergy and to provide that physical presence and speed. Then it depends if you wanna go HO or more balanced. A reliable setter would be necessary either way,
I think I'll add Hawlucha. Seems to pair very well. Thanks for the help, I have a few ideas of my own now.

What are some notable neutral and super effective targets that Stakataka's gyro ball doesnt hit with base 150?
I took "notable" to mean "on the viability ranking", and here are the results:

AV Magearna: 133
Trick Room Magearna: 97
Clefable: 125
Chansey: 109
Mega Sableye: 61
Tangrowth: 98
Amooguss: 77
Calm Mind Reuniclus: 86
Trick Room Reuniclus: 52
Hippowdon: 104
Shuckle: 10
Cresselia: 126
Alolan Muk: 110
Uxie: 141

I took "notable" to mean "on the viability ranking", and here are the results:

AV Magearna: 133
Trick Room Magearna: 97
Clefable: 125
Chansey: 109
Mega Sableye: 61
Tangrowth: 98
Amooguss: 77
Calm Mind Reuniclus: 86
Trick Room Reuniclus: 52
Hippowdon: 104
Shuckle: 10
Cresselia: 126
Alolan Muk: 110
Uxie: 141
Some of them aren't Gyro targets though: TR Magearna gets hit a bit harder by Earthquake while M-Sableye, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Reuniclus (both) and Shuckle all get hit significantly harder by Stone Edge / CC.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
On phone, so hard to formally respond, but will anyway.

What is the best Webs set for Araquanid?
Sticky Web / Liquidation / Toxic / Magic Coat or filler with Focus Sash. Iirc it’s roughly Adamant with 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe, but don’t quote me on that.

This lets you outrun Chansey and a few other slower Pokemon while hitting pretty hard and setting up webs. It’s still not too great, but it’s a viable setter, that’s for sure.

With Naganadel Banned what are good partners for mega lopunny on a bulky offense team taking into account that clefable and Toxapex have had a resurgance?

Is there any way to have 31 ivs on pokemon with hidden power on showdown? I know its possible in game with hyper training, but my Mdiancie still only has 349 spd with hp fire.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is there any way to have 31 ivs on pokemon with hidden power on showdown? I know its possible in game with hyper training, but my Mdiancie still only has 349 spd with hp fire.
That's weird, iirc all hidden powers default to max ivs now on ps, maybe try to maximize the ivs after giving a mon hp fire, I don't know why it doesn't default to max for you but that could fix it

That's weird, iirc all hidden powers default to max ivs now on ps, maybe try to maximize the ivs after giving a mon hp fire, I don't know why it doesn't default to max for you but that could fix it
I think I might have figured it out, it seems to give me 30 with Diancie only when I import the set, not choosing HP fire manually. So if I set the IV's to 31 manually and don't touch the import, they stay 31. I've tried it with latios also but his IVs are 31 no matter what, so I don't know what's up. This only happens on mobile and I haven't tried it on computer, so it might just be the mobile version being wierd, or possibly just mine.

What is the reason Choice Scarf users have Defog? I understand how threats like Kartana, Lati@s, or Tapu Koko naturally forces out considerable portion of the metagame, but I personally believe this to be a very unreliable way to remove hazards. It is inevitably going to ruin momentum, and especially if your opponent can scout the item (judging from speed / damage output), they can use Choice Scarf Defog users to take advantage or momentum or potentially use them as setup fodder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)