Ability: Skill Link
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Brave Bird
- Bullet Seed
- Brick Break

After Shrug posted something in here I thought I'd just put something out there while I got the chance. Although this mon doesnt have a super stellar attack stat, it is above average and hit a fairly high speed stat of 17. However, what truly makes this mon powerful is its insane movepool. Getting access to fighting, flying, and grass make this mon super reliable in trying to deal with top tier threats. If you're anything like dundies and only spam top 10 in the tier mons, then this would 6-0 you at a +1 from flame charge. The grass coverage deals with common flying checks such as onix, tirt, and omanyte, while brick break is able to pick off pawniards. The only real answers to this include super bulky mons such as mareanie and spritz but those arent checks if they get knocked off. Using berry juice allows for extra survivability. if your opponent gets desperate and goes for sucker punches and fake outs, berry juice keeps piki in play and gets more kills.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
wicked jab (Pawniard) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

i'm sure this was used before me, but it almost worked against op in swiss. almost. timb and foo switch into pawn so consistently that it's almost silly, and as long as you don't get a garbo roll you just flat kill foo (and it kills after hazards). i drop knock, but you can drop SR or something else if you feel comfortable

zen force (Abra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psychic Terrain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

i use this on the same team as the above, but sash psy terrain is the only way to go with psy terrain imo. ive also used this in the past with scarf diglett to trap things like other dig, 19s/20s, scarf mag, etc. it's a neat cleaner once you pop psy terrain and the opponent can't prio it down

plunder (Stunky) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Grass

best stunky set. more info on this here

knuckle claws (Croagunk) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 52 HP / 36 Def / 188 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Vacuum Wave
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

nascar frog is good in a meta where vulla is going slower, wanting to run sdef bj sets or slow defog pivot sets. at worst it ties with vulla, so you have a chance to blast it. focus is a bit better on nascar frog thanks to the 87.5% chance to kill evio vulla after sr, but depends on team needs. you can also run fight-z, but i've had the most success with berry juice. tinker with the evs and stuff as you will but nascar frog is good

spike lash (Ferroseed)
Ability: Iron Barbs
- Protect

protect ferro is good. well maybe not good but interesting with how many foos are running hjk. it's always nice to make it eat 50% and ferro does not always need every moveslot

ice path (Vulpix-Alola) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis

you could probably run some other combo of moves, but scarf ice-types are mad good right now and pix is probably the best of them. maybe amaura. fast aveil is also really neat to mess with, it's just a cool set to build around

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Reflect

slowfoo + reflect to allow "passes" to things that don't want to take a hit. Slowfoo is cool as shit because if you run enough to underspeed Mareanie you can u-turn straight into Diglett for free, but its also useful for other things. Reflect is something I've played around with in several generations, as it lets you easy set up opportunities against things like pawniard / timburr. I use it with things that can't really get in otherwise such as Abra and Diglett. It's an amazing bulky mon that can pivot through everything and especially punishes Scarf Mag or Scarf Pawn (which from the teammates I picked also coincides with mons that trouble Diglett and Abra). The only issue you is that Timburr is an issue because you underspeed it, as well as Snubbull (which can be good if you catch it on a knock off or something and it thiefs or fire punches).

Cottonee @ Fairium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Tailwind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Glue / safety check Pokemon, has pretty good typing even though poisons and steels kinda suck to fight. maybe try using this with Magnemite, so you can trap Ferroseed, pivot into it, and check Vullaby at the same time. spreads a little wonky to make the lure work, Twinkle Tackle OHKOes Timburr, Vullaby, Mienfoo. Is a great sponge for fights, specifically foo and other knock off users. Cottonee isn't bad like people seem to think it can still run a multitude of sets, some more niche than others. On top of that it provides knock utility and tailwind utility, allowing you a last minute sack to set up an endgame sweep.

144 SpA Cottonee Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 116 HP / 156+ SpD Vullaby: 26-32 (104 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 32)

144 SpA Cottonee Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (20, 20, 20, 20, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)

144 SpA Cottonee Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 116 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Timburr: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Possible damage amounts: (20, 20, 20, 20, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)

144 SpA Cottonee Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 20-24 (105.2 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 24)

144 SpA Cottonee Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Possible damage amounts: (18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22) (catches Scarf Pawn, you tiny amount of chip and you OHKO it on the switch, or you can just Knock Off and always outspeed and OHKO it with rocks (otherwise u'd have a 1/8 roll to leave it at 1 hp).

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blitzle @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 196 Atk / 20 Def / 40 SpA / 20 SpD / 228 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bounce
- Wild Charge
- Flame Charge
- Hidden Power [Grass]

blitzle. hard stop to Snivy, checks / lures in Foongus maybe not now that i posted it but it did. 18 Speed lets you outspeed things like Mienfoo and allow you to Z-Bounce on them, while Blitzle also beats Sturdy Onix (who predicts the hp grass??) and can beat WA onix with some chip or evio knocked off. Fast 18 mons are very valuable in this metagame imo because you have the ability to beat a majority of the tier in Onix / Mienfoo. Would be better if it got a real flying type move but Z-bounce works as a nice cleaner set.

bold as love (Chinchou) @ Icium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 228 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

I used this against jox, the set is actually really cool to handle common threats of the metagame. Its hard to tell what set it is since it gets the same rolls as Scarf (other than Knock Off), so it can be a cool lure, as exemplified by the match with jox. Icium is really cool because sub-zero slammer KOes Foongus through rocks a majority of the time, so setting up Chinchou can be as simple as doing it on a vullaby, even if it has Weak Armor activated (thats why it hits 16 Speed), and Chinchou has enough natural bulk to even stomach random HP grasses. Agility never really got to work in that match but it did end up working in some other match the stunkies faced but only against us i dont know the replay.

Spinarak @ Eviolite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 10 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Sticky Web
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

this is a set I gave talkingtree to use, it is THE foongus switchin allowing you to play some amazing mindgames. 8 Speed allows you to underspeed foongus letting you tank a giga / sludge / spore whatever and BP out to something more threatening. Sticky Web is nice and underspeeding stuff isn't really THAT important so I dont think there are too much meshes with it, once Sticky Web is up / foongus is taken care of Spinarak is a little bit of dead weight. I like to run Sucker so i have a little bit of utility but you could easily run something else like Megahorn. Poison Jab is jsut a generic STAB that isn't donged by Fighting-types. A really cool utility mon if used correctly, maybe running something like Giga Drain can be cool to catch Onix.

Thought I'd join these forums to discuss lc :)

I've used this weird abra set which has eviolite, inner focus and modest nature. It can surprise kill mienfoos that click fake out which is pretty hilarious. It's also a decent user of knock off and can live some hits surprisingly well thanks to eviolite.

Abra @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off

Some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-763245128
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-763313597

I have created i glass cannon scrafty set for early to mid game sweeping. It is very potent and has few reliable threats. The threats it does have however are very common and must be removed before using this set.

Johnny boy (Scraggy) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
Drain punch for stab and recovery.
Dragon dance to set up on entry hazard setters to prepare a sweep.
Knock off for stab and non sash abra counter
Poison to hit mandibuz neutrally and counter fairys.

Replays:
Downloadhttp://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-761495319
Downloadhttp://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-765183413

Zigzagoon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 108 Def / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Return

I don't know if this is a "creative set" but sure, he is kinda underrated.
Seed Bomb / Protect are usually the common moves, but I find Return better for some reasons.

- gets a 100% KO on Foongus after BD, even without SR, against a 75% with SR on the field (ES) without.
- gets a guaranteed OHKO on Spritzee after SR damages
- gets a 100% OHKO on Grimer-Alola after BD, even without SR, against a 75% with SR on the field without.
- gets a guaranteed OHKO on Mareanie without SR

A good ziggy team for me, must be only ziggy focused, and having à 75% chance of killing something is not enough for me. A good player facing zigzagoon will try to keep his defensive mons outside ExtremeSpeed kill range. Return solves the problem.

more interesting

- gets a 100% OHKO on Timburr even without SR, against a 37.5% with SR on the field without Return.

"yeah but mach punch you noob"
The standard Zigzagoon set will always hit Timburr with ExtremeSpeed, meaning that the usual best move for a Timburr is to click Drain Punch, because it's a sure OHKO and it allows him to recover. So, unless your opponent is really bad, it's a safe KO for you.

Protect and Seed Bomb ? One avoid the Fake Outs, which is cool but not that useful in my opinion, while the other one is useful against rock types. But the fact is that it is way easier to trap rock types, and to be honest, outside beating Tirtouga and Onix on the switch in (but I guess that a decent player would not switch Onix on Ziggy knowing he can get beaten by SB)+ some little things, I don't think Seed Bomb is that useful in fact.

Return is at worst a decent option for Ziggy, at best the best fourth move on it, in my opinion.

I've seen this Staryu set before and i feel like its underrated, idk if anyone post this set already
( Pls tell me if this is existed already or its popular now )
I've also tried this a few times and it seems to be effective where Mienfoo, Foongus and Mareanie are common.

Staryu @ Psychium Z
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 76 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin / Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Fire]

Z-Psychic KOes Foongus and Mareanie after switching into Hydro Pump ( provided it didn't miss ). I also KOes defensive fast-foo and Timburr too.

200 SpA Analytic Staryu Hydro Pump vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 6-7 (24 - 28%) -- 22.8% chance to 4HKO
Possible damage amounts: (6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7)

(Note : I changed Foongus Speed to become faster than Staryu so Analytic would get activated)

After it hits, Staryu can used Z-Psychic to finish them off

200 SpA Staryu Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 20-24 (80 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24)

Same Damage Output also applies to Mareanie. As for Fighting Types

200 SpA Staryu Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 22-28 (104.7 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Note : Defensive Slow-Mienfoo can survived this most of the time at full health and Scarf Mienfoo Koes Staryu with High Jump Kick)

200 SpA Staryu Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 22-28 (91.6 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Fighting Types are unlikely going to stay at Staryu. Life Orb Psychic already 2HKOes Foongus and Mareanie, but a surprise KO can be more beneficial for its teammates that appreciates removing them. They will likely switch-out if they find out Staryu has Psychic.

Lately, I've been so annoyed by these foongus battles. Everyone runs foongus, and according to showdown stats, 76% of the foongus in the "higher ladd" runs Synthesis. So here is a possible "creative" solution :

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

It's basically one the best foongus answer actually. If you have Synthesis, you can't break the sub, letting pawn knock offing everything with happiness. Substitute being actually extremely uncommon, if the sleep clause isn't still activated, you are pretty sure that your opponent will click Spore the first turn, letting you a free sub. Then, you are free to knock off what you want, letting weakened mons take an Iron Head.
Substitute, as well, avoid sometimes being trapped by Diglett or Trapinch, allowing to kill (in the case of death fodders) behind a sub.

and

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

It's a little bit more gimmicky, but it's a lot of fun too. Instead of knock off, you gets a free sd each time your opponent is kind enough to let you sub. Then a +2 Iron Head, which is kinda cool, because with this spread, a +2 Iron Head and a +2 Sucker Punch are actually enough to kill the commons set of Mienfoo, even without rocks. Some calcs :

+2 236 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 15-18 (71.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18)

+2 236 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 6-8 (28.5 - 38%) -- 32.8% chance to 3HKO
Possible damage amounts: (6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8)

And obviously, slowfoo is beaten by a double +2 Iron Head.

These are two cool sets I'm actually trying. Even if it is not exactly "new" (at least for the first one), I think they are actually extremely well adapted to the actual metagame, which is quite focused on foongus. Substitute Pawniard, in general, is way too underrated.

sister

Banned deucer.
Inkay is like so close to being good. STAB Knock Off into STAB Psycho Cut can tear through common defensive cores- especially with the all-star combo of Contrary + Superpower. The only problem is it's SLOW and I'm not really satisfied with a Choice Scarf given that it ruins its good coverage.

Z-Hypnosis boosts speed by 1 (Z stat boosts ignore contrary) and if it lands you're free to launch a Superpower or two. After that you're free to basically take the W.... as long as they dont have any Scarfers or priority, but even then the defense boosts can help somewhat.

At best its an inconsistent sweeper and decent wallbreaker but its worth some style points I think.

please win (Inkay) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
- Hypnosis

Simbo

Own a doghouse?
Wingull @ Waterium Z
Ability: Rain Dish/Hydration
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost/Protect

Cool wingull set, z rain dance gives you +1 speed plus boosted scald power and perfect hitting hurricanes. Wingull forces a lot of switches and pressures a large chunk of the meta, so getting off a z rain dance isn't too difficult. At +1 speed, forcing wingull out becomes far more difficult since non-scarf dig and other normal scarfers can't outspeed and force it out. Wingull can also clean vs a lot of stuff with accurate canes and boosted scalds
Rain boosted scald hits surprisingly hard

240 SpA Wingull Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite in Rain: 18-22 (94.7 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22)

240 SpA Wingull Scald vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard in Rain: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22)
Bumped up to 87.5% after a spike or 2hp chip

240 SpA Wingull Scald vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Pawniard in Rain: 12-15 (57.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15)

240 SpA Wingull Scald vs. 4 HP / 156+ SpD Eviolite Tirtouga in Rain: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (10, 10, 10, 10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13)

The bulkier gull checks like evio tirt and pawn need to be chipped but gull can easily chip its own checks to clean later on.

You can also not bother z raining up and just hit something hard with waterium Z scald. Works just as well as normal wingull without flyZ when you don't need to z dance.
Roost lets you semi switch into foo and roost up and lets you outplay suckers from dig and pawn, protect avoids fa damage and lets you scout scarfers.
Rain dish gives passive recovery in rain, hydration removes status in rain which is nice to remove foongus spore if it was above 80 percent.

Decent set that can do what normal gull does without the 4th moveslot and can also act as early game breaker or cleaner or waterium scald lure. Adds another set to an already broken mon.

Last edited:
Here it comes a set nobody needed nor deserved:

*drums*

special chespin!

*claps*

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 68 HP / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes/Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Synthesis

ok, jokes apart, special chespin offensive presence is ridiculously low. Not that the physical one is particularly high anyway. However this dude does some stuff like: working better against onix and boosted mudbray and, more importantly, not activating vullaby's weak armor when it enters. Sludge bomb provides a possibility of poisoning vullaby on the switch and somewhat helps against scarf snivy. Hp psychic only if the team really needs to scare gastly away instead of setting spikes.

0 SpA Chespin Sludge Bomb vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Vullaby: 6-8 (24 - 32%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO (edited with the berry juice non-spd set)
0 SpA Chespin Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Snivy: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Chespin Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Snivy: 10-12 (47.6 - 57.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

LilyAC

encore encore encore
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpD
Impish Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

subpass foo is a set that has been on the analysis forever, but i've never actually seen anyone use it even though it's actually pretty cool. it can act just like a regular mienfoo while also being able to sub up on several common pokemon and then pass the sub to something else to gain free turns. examples of stuff it can sub up on include foongus spore, mareanie knock off, spritzee covet, onix protect, and timburr knock off - all things that mienfoo is likely to face. subbing up on switches can be very useful too by easing prediction.

it gets better though: if you pair foo with stuff that resists the attacks of foongus and/or mareanie, you can get even more free turns. a great example is gastly. the set above is running the standard 24/15/12 spread, which is important because it makes sure foo's sub has 6 hp, which is just enough for the sub to live a giga drain from foongus after foo bps to gastly. this means that you can either sub up on foongus's spore or on a switch to foongus, bp to gastly, and then keep the sub to tear through the opposing team with gastly. other recipients include pawn, ferro, chespin, a-grimer, and croagunk. you can also combine mons to create mindgames, e.g. having both snivy and mudbray forces opposing mareanie to decide between clicking sludge bomb for snivy and scald for mudbray.

losing fake out isn't great but with foongus being super common atm i think this set can actually be worthwhile

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
REVIVAL

Since this for some stupid ass reason hasn't been posted

Alolan Ekans (Onix) (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Curse
- Explosion

Baits in and kills Mienfoos and the like with a +1 z EQ (granted the more hp variants can live if not knocked so not like THAT fantastic but still hella fun to pull out for a late game sweep)

Fuck Clamdig (Magnemite) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

No more lack of volt switch fun, fuck diglett+clamperl cores we aint giving you free set-up no more.

Cake of fury (Buneary) (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Limber
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Circle Throw
- Encore
- Cosmic Power

Basically the easiest way to fuck people who aren't 100% familiar with the tier yet. Spam Cosmic Powr, Encore and Circle Throw to stop shit from setting up along with you, baton pass when ready into whatever kinda bulky crap you got in the back like o idk resttalk Mudbray :] Actually semi legit lol shoutouts Maskun for bringing it vs Aim

General utility
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-727103836
Sweeps
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-727108489
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7lc-391414

Last edited:
This is more memey but theres some wack stuff in this thread so whatever.

Doduo @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Jump Kick
- Knock Off/ Thrash / Quick Attack

Basic idea is that this functions the same as Berry Juice Doduo except you want to be confused because then Tangled Feet activates and you have a broken dodge rate. The neat part of this is that if you are faster and sub into Wiki Berry recovery range then you instantly get confused so that turn you have the 50+% chance of getting a free substitute as they miss.

Mathematically this is broken as fuck, in reality you hit yourself in confusion on the turn it matters and lose the game.

Shellder @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Icicle Spear
- Protect / Substitute / Rock Blast

The idea of the set is quite simple: lure and OHKO slowfoo.
It was originally a small preparation against Midnight Howl for the LCWC, but I couldn't make it work because of the match-up (staryu + corphish)
Nevertheless I think this set is quite interesting.

standard shellder (I put adamant here to better reflect the situation) :

+2 236+ Atk Shellder Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 15-20 (55.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 236+ Atk Shellder Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 15-18 (71.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 236+ Atk Shellder Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 20-25 (83.3 - 104.1%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Z-Shellder :

+2 236 Atk Shellder Liquidation (160 BP) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 24-28 (88.8 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 236 Atk Shellder Liquidation (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 25-31 (119 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 236 Atk Shellder Liquidation (160 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 25-30 (104.1 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This set requires a little more support, for example a memento user or some veil offense, but it is not that complicated to set-up to be honest.
This set has a great match up against the vast majority of the teams without a water type (outside tirt). The choice of Substitute / Protect depends on what you really want to deal with. Substitute is really awesome against Pawniard while Protect is a little more "safe" in general, especially against Mienfoo. Rock Blast is obviously usable too as 4th move if you really want to deal with water types, though I really prefer sub/protect here. I think this is a pretty cool lure and a cool wincon, so if you are a shellder player, you could probably give it a try.

Last edited:
sorry for dp, but this thread is kinda inactive, and as torchic got realeased...

Torchic @ Groundium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 40 Atk / 200 SpA / 236 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Protect
- Dig

z-ground torchic seems to be an interesting idea, as it can surprise some of its usual counters and checks such as mareanie (knowing that diglett dropped in power recently due to trapinch rise) and ponyta. this is not as good as lo torchic because it is weaker, but can serve as a lure for other pokémons, while it does more or less the same stuff. ponyta won't like Z-Dig after sr even with eviolite. mareanie must be a little weakened, but it's not that complicated knowing that this pokémon is often used as a knock off sponge. it has a kinda good synergy with timburr / slowfoo in general, and can probably be used as a surprise weapon instead of the classical lo set

36 Atk Torchic Dig [160 BP] vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
36 Atk Torchic Dig vs. 196 HP / 100 Def Eviolite Mareanie: 14-18 (58.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
36 Atk Torchic Dig vs. 196 HP / 100 Def Mareanie: 22-26 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah i've been trying out new things for a while now, and though many where meh at max, some where incredible discoveries that i'd like to share with you.
First of all :

Salandit @ Shed Shell
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 36 Def / 188 SpA / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

This bad boy is so much fun to play and that sad grin on your face as you just saw a Toxic set in LC might no be that justified. The point of this is to safely switch into Foongus without fearing sleep. It's even better if you have an actual foongus check in the team as it will likely force a Sludge Bomb from the oppo. The second step is to Toxic that bad boy wanting to put you to sleep, since Salandit isn't really known to be a powerhouse anyway. Now you have a sleeping Salandit with Sleep Talk and the enemy Foongus is intoxicated.
The Shed Shell is actually mandatory because of these nasty Digletts everywhere. While am at it, basically any Ground-weak Poison type is prefectly fine running the Shed Shell. Stuff like Grimer-A for example.
On top of that gimmicky tactic, note that Salandit destroys the very popular Ferroseed+Spritzee core with its STABs. Overall a really pleasing set to play, and probably way less to face.

Another bad boy is this dude right there :

Munchlax @ Berry Juice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Counter / Gunk Shot
- Recycle
- Return
- Pursuit

More the former than the latter here but i'll explain. Munchlax is in my opinion one of, if not the most reliable Gastbra check out there, in a metagame swarming with Digletts. What's more, the usual Pawniard is merely resolving half of the problem since both Abra and Gastly are designed to handle it. Thus we are left with that big fat DPP staple, taking hits for days. However when no weak looking hard special attacker is in the enemy team, it often becomes kinda useless. That's where Counter (and sometimes Gunk Shot) come in clutch.
Counter sacrifices your useless Berry Juice to OHKO mons willing to Knock it Off. Stuff like Vullaby and Pawniard are really eager to throw your Juice away that they easily get dunked on by that fat ball of violence.
Gunk Shot is even more situational, but it can be usefull nonetheless. Gunk Shot is here for Spritzee, since teams can sometimes lack a decent Spritzee killer. Munchlax with its famous Specially Defensive bulk can come in on Spritzee late game and throw some thrash on it a bunch of times :

236+ Atk Munchlax Gunk Shot vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 14-18 (51.8 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ Atk Munchlax Gunk Shot vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Spritzee: 22-26 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sadly Spritzee outspeeds the poor lad, and it can be tricky hitting/poisoning, but overall a nice last slot in some teams.
And for the record :

236+ Atk Munchlax Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Snivy: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

though it can't do anything else with tha pile of crap.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
First of all :

Salandit @ Shed Shell
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 36 Def / 188 SpA / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave

This bad boy is so much fun to play and that sad grin on your face as you just saw a Toxic set in LC might no be that justified. The point of this is to safely switch into Foongus without fearing sleep. It's even better if you have an actual foongus check in the team as it will likely force a Sludge Bomb from the oppo. The second step is to Toxic that bad boy wanting to put you to sleep, since Salandit isn't really known to be a powerhouse anyway. Now you have a sleeping Salandit with Sleep Talk and the enemy Foongus is intoxicated.
The Shed Shell is actually mandatory because of these nasty Digletts everywhere. While am at it, basically any Ground-weak Poison type is prefectly fine running the Shed Shell. Stuff like Grimer-A for example.
On top of that gimmicky tactic, note that Salandit destroys the very popular Ferroseed+Spritzee core with its STABs. Overall a really pleasing set to play, and probably way less to face.

Another bad boy is this dude right there :
While innovative, I'm not sure I understand the logic you presented here, since what sane Foongus user is staying in on Salandit, sleeping or not? You say that Foongus might stay in to try and sleep Salandit but...

192 SpA Life Orb Salandit Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 23-31 (92 - 124%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Meanwhile, Sludge Bomb does 6 and Giga does 2, there's no way Foongus is willingly staying in and potentially eating Fire Blast. On that note, I'm willing to bet that unless you're planning around entering a Foongus war (and Sleep Talk Salandit should be helping you avoid that I'd think), you're better off using Fire Blast or Flamethrower in terms of damage in the grand scale.

I can kind of see Toxic's potential utility for Mareanie, but that's really it in terms of targets to me.

Ghostbuster (Timburr) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Drain Punch/Hammer Arm
-Poison Jab/Fire Punch

200 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 13-17 (54.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (13, 13, 13, 13, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17)

200 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Timburr: 19-23 (79.1 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 23)
It's a ridiculous bit of specialisation, but Berry Juice Timburr has an effective 44 HP, allowing it to switch into LO Gast's STAB moves, Juice back up, and threaten to KO or force it out. Still dies to poison on the first Sludge Bomb or double high damage rolls, but it works ~65% of the time. Hammer Arm is an option to punch things even harder if you expect BJ to be sufficient recovery, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Only recommended if your team particularly hates Gastly though - giving up Eviolite is costly, hazard control is required for it to work, and you can't use it to absorb Knock Off if you plan to bring it in on Gast eventually.

Last edited:

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion

Ghostbuster (Timburr) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Drain Punch/Hammer Arm
-Poison Jab/Fire Punch

200 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 13-17 (54.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (13, 13, 13, 13, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17)

200 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Timburr: 19-23 (79.1 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 23)
It's a ridiculous bit of specialisation, but Berry Juice Timburr has an effective 44 HP, allowing it to switch into LO Gast's STAB moves, Juice back up, and threaten to KO or force it out. Still dies to poison on the first Sludge Bomb or double high damage rolls, but it works ~65% of the time. Hammer Arm is an option to punch things even harder if you expect BJ to be sufficient recovery, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Only recommended if your team particularly hates Gastly though - giving up Eviolite is costly, hazard control is required for it to work, and you can't use it to absorb Knock Off if you plan to bring it in on Gast eventually.
As cool as his idea is, an Eviolite Timburr can still tank said Sludge bomb and Knock Off without throwing away so many other good MUs. Besides, Gastly almost always runs Psychic nowadays, which, unless you have at least 156 spdef with Eviolite, Timburr is not gonna live. That aside though I really like the idea :)

As cool as his idea is, an Eviolite Timburr can still tank said Sludge bomb and Knock Off without throwing away so many other good MUs. Besides, Gastly almost always runs Psychic nowadays, which, unless you have at least 156 spdef with Eviolite, Timburr is not gonna live. That aside though I really like the idea :)
To clarify, the idea of running BJ and max SpD was to allow it to switch in on Gast, which Eviolite timb with the standard spread can't do since it gets outsped and KO'd on the second turn:

I agree that Eviolite is almost always preferable though - the biggest issue with this set is that while it does what it's supposed to, almost all other matchups get worse with the item swap. Coverage on Gastly is also a good point, and while I haven't seen a lot of Psychic Gast myself it's clearly a strong option for general coverage in this meta. Thanks for reacting!

boulicrok

Le Crok
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Back to this thread
After the creation of the Vulla corebreaker , it's time for Abra corebreaker!

Abra @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 76 Def / 160 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball

The main idea behind this set is to live 5hit beat up from Diglett + Mach punch from Timburr (as you can see in this replay https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-950360825-idc7efgtzlxr58lbf72j29te99ue7vjpw )

Due to the defensive investment, it can also live Pursuit from scarf adamant Pawniard + Mach Punch if the opponent doesn't get high+max rolls or crits( https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-950399991-xjfujpyp46gpnfqksvwa7vgy5nxoarypw ) , however you need to weaken Pawniard before because hp fire isn't guaranteed to kill after rocks (only 6,3% of chance)
Here are the mains calcs for this one :

236+ Atk Pawniard Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Abra: 14-18 (73.6 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 18)
196+ Atk Iron Fist Timburr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Abra: 3-5 (15.7 - 26.3%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO
Possible damage amounts: (3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5)

With Abra not being LO , it's pretty easy to bluff being the standard sash Abra set while being at full life, people might think their Ferroseed , evio Pawniard (if you usually run counter in place of HP Fighting on your sash bra) etc. can stay in safely in front of it and will not be wary of an HP Fire unless they know this set.

One other option I got from Lily is to play Magnemite with this Abra and then run counter in place of HP Fire to kill the Pawniards.

Here are 2 replays where Abra did/would have done a pretty good job :
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-948078953 vs Jyt for LPL where Abra succeeded in baiting the Pawniard stay-in
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-950374639-3ulsm3u5ho2yepgga1gmrdagz5ct8bdpw vs LilyAC for Discord Premier League where Abra baited her Diglett (most likely eviolite since she went straight into it) and could have done pretty well once staryu died.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)