SM OU Team Preview Analysis Workshop v1 (Round 6: Skarm Balance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Curse
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Alright, so first off I believe the Gastro set is Curse since it's a pretty good and reliable wincon for this sort of team. I don't think Heatran is Bloom Doom since the team handles Waters pretty well and Earth Power isn't necessary since opposing Tran aren't much of an issue, so I figured it's the run of the mill ToxTaunt set w/ Magma Storm to wear down Tapu Fini over the course of the match for Scarf Keld to come in and possibly clean up. Zapdos is Defog I think since Spikes get really annoying for this team if they ever get set, but it could be 3 Attacks. I feel that CB Zygarde is a nice fit here since the team's best source of heavy damage would otherwise just be Metagross, which I believe is packing dual STAB w/ Ice Punch + EQ since opposing Gross can be a pain and Lando is a pretty big threat to the entire team. Zen Headbutt is nice for offensively checking Keldeo in case it's Normalium which can devastate Gastrodon. As I said before, Keldeo has to be Scarf since the team is pretty slow and would greatly appreciate it.

Most Confident On
  • Gastro, because if it's SubCoil Zygarde the team has literally no immediate offensive presence
  • Heatran, but the spread might be a bit bulkier
  • Zapdos, but 3 Attacks would work too
  • Metagross, but the moveset might be a bit different
  • Keldeo because Scarf is pretty much a given here, but I might be totally wrong
Least Confident On
  • Ironically, Gastro + Zygarde because it could be the all out defensive Gastro set with SubCoil Zygarde as the wincon.
  • If the above is true, then Bloom Doom would be a bit more appealing option since Gastro can't use Waters for fodder anymore

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Normalium-Z
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Terrain
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Nice and colorful build here. Mawile could have been AoA, but SD Mawile + CM Normalium-Z Keldeo was a pretty good combo since Keldeo potentially lures in Toxapex which Mawile fails to break past without Thunder Punch, while also softening up a bunch of 'mons so Mawile can just Sucker its way past some faster threats. Latios is Scarf since it's speed control is invaluable for a team so weak to Zard X and Volcarona. HP Fire could possibly be Thunderbolt for Skarm / Steela. Jirachi has to be SpD Rocks since the bulk it brings is just to good to pass up along with slow pivots and Healing Wish. I figured it was AV Tang because otherwise Tapu Koko (and (Ash) Greninja to an extent) has a field day with this team. Finally, Tapu Koko is more than likely your standard pivot. I think U-turn is used here instead of Volt Switch so Duggy can't just trap you and Taunt is cool here to denying backbones recovery and preventing hazards.

Most Confident
  • SpD Rachi and AV Tang since that's your generic BO backbone, but the moveset (esp. Tang) might be a bit different.
  • Koko since DGleam is definitely not necessary with Mawile and Keld for Mega Sab, but the extra assurance would be fine
  • Pretty sure Latios is Scarf since it'd otherwise would be LO and that doesn't offer much to the team.
  • Mawile's more than likely SD so we'll have a solid and reliable wincon.
Least Confident
  • Keldeo could definitely be Scarf with Latios as LO (maybe even CM). Normalium + SD Maw is really cool though.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover

Heatran @ Grassium-Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Defog
- Roost

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Looking at the team, I see a pretty big weakness to Ash Greninja and to some degree Tapu Koko. Even if Keldeo is Scarf/SubCM, it does not want to be eating Specs Hydro Pumps/Dark Pulses. Full SpDef Gastrodon counters Ash Greninja and Tapu Koko, as well as stopping Volt Switch (although U-Turn is o the more common thing nowadays). It also handles Gengar and rain in general, both of which are big problems for this team (0 ghost resists and not particularly fast outside of SPOILER Scarf Keldeo).

Next up is Heatran. Tapu Fini is annoying for Zygarde and to a lesser degree Mega Metagross (if no Thunder Punch), as are bulky waters (and Gastrodon/Quagsire). Bloom Doom Tran (standard spread) traps and eliminates those obstacles and paves the way for Zygarde to sweep. It also serves to set up Stealth Rock, and is running Taunt over Toxic to beat other hazard setters/removers (such as Fini/Ferro/etc.)

Zapdos (PhysDef spread from uploaded analysis) serves two purposes here: one, check Z-Fly users and Mega Pinsir, and also Defog away hazards so that Gastrodon (and to a lesser extent Heatran and Zygarde) can check/counter what they are supposed to. Discharge is mandatory for Pinsir/Gyarados and the 30% para chance is always good, while Hidden Power Ice lets Zapdos beat Z-Fly Landorus-T, which if Double Dance is a pretty big threat to this team (assuming Zygarde is weakened/Lando-T is healthy enough to not be picked off by Banded Extremespeed). Roost and Defog are self-explanatory.

Zygarde (standard EV spread for Band) is a win-con here. SubCoil isn't great on this team because then it lacks much offensive presence sans Metagross, and SubCoil doesn't really check anything too noteworthy that the team has trouble with (Gastrodon is a better special tank in that case). Banded Zygarde provides immediate power and still has respectabe bulk, letting it either weaken the other team for Mega Metagross to sweep, or threaten a sweep itself in the lategame (usually with Extremespeed). Iron Tail is in the last slot to hit Tapu Bulu on the switch (as well as Physically Defensive Clefable I guess), which can be a threat to this team if Heatran is gone.

Mega Metagross is, well, Mega Metagross (standard EV spread). Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt for STAB, EQ to hit other Metagross (and Mawile), and Thunderpunch to hit Celesteela/Tapu Fini/fat waters in case Heatran gets taken out early. Bullet Punch is not used here because we have Banded Extremespeed from Zygarde and Scarf Keldeo, so some priority and speed control exists already.

Scarf Keldeo (standard spread) is pretty much the only set good for this team since there's 0 speed control otherwise (Metagross isn't running Bullet Punch most likely and Banded Extremespeed is pretty exploitable "speed control"). Last move is Icy Wind as a last ditch method of speed control (good against stuff like ScarfChomp/ScarfLatios too), since this team doesn't have trouble with Toxapex (BandZygarde) or Mantine (Zapdos) and thus has no need for HP Electric.

Most Confident On
  • Gastrodon, since the full SpDef set is really good now with Gengar and Greninja friggin' everywhere
  • Heatran since Zygarde (and Metagross) appreciate Tapu Fini/fat waters being gone
  • Zapdos, since we need a Z-Fly check that doesn't get bodied by EQ, and a Defogger so Gastrodon to actually do what it's supposed to do
  • Zygarde not being SubCoil (too passive on this team)
  • Metagross, in the sense that "it's Mega and running Mash and EQ and probably Zen"
  • Keldeo is Choice Scarfed because you have very little speed control otherwise
Least Confident On
  • Zygarde's actual set. Banded is great, but DD is also good and serves as a great wincon (especially once Heatran traps and eliminates Tapu Fini)
  • Metagross's set. Might be running Bullet Punch for added insurance, might be running Ice Punch to hit Lando-T/Garchomp (freeing up HP Ice on Zapdos for something like Heat Wave)

Click sprites for importables!

Team 1—Mawile + Keldeo:

Winner is Ramses by default.

Team 2—Gastrodon Balance:

Winner is TURBODERP by a narrow margin. This call was quite subjective as both had a similar amount of correct sets.

This Week's Team Slate:

Finchinator's Maw-Gar Offense:

Good luck, everyone! :toast:

Last edited:
Scarf Keldeo with Stone Edge and Dragonium-Z DD Zygarde, that's unexpected but awesome. Doesn't really feel like I got that close TBH, but I'll take it.

Can't post sets right now but I'm guessing AoA Mawile, Spikes Ninja, LO Taunt Gengar, Scarf Keldeo, Rocks Rachi, Double Dance Landorus-T.

Spikes + Mawile is great, Taunt Gar is good for preventing Defogs and recovery, Scarf Keld is Scarf Keld, Rocks Rachi since what else would it do, and Double Dance Lando is killer with Spikes.

Last edited:
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extrasensory

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
Overview:
"Scarf Keld is Scarf Keld, Rocks Rachi since its what else would it do, and Double Dance Lando is killer with Spikes"
I basically agree with Ramses on all of these, but I think it's probably SD Knock Off Mawile (Thunder Punch? Hitting Celesteela Toxapex Skarmory all of which are slow, passive, and get evaporated by a +2 Knock Off anyway - + you hit Marowak and has far more utility with Knock Off). Since I think it's Knock Off Mawile, I figure it's probably AoA greninja - Extrasensory for Toxapex (no tpunch on maw), HP Fire (maw and ferro), gunk is a must on all greninja, hydro pump to 2hko sable since u dont rly want to get burned on maw, and scarf keld doesnt have enough damage output on sable. nothing weak so i dont think either spikes or hazard removal is strictly necessary although i wouldnt be surprised at all considering spikes IS cool with maw + gengar can spinblock. AoA gengar because maw shits on all balance and stall anyway - tbolt for celesteela and pex. i can see z-rock lando-t for skarm and celesteela.
Things Most Confident Of:
probably keldeo​
Things Least Confident Of:
Greninja's set - think it might be spikes​

Importable: https://hastebin.com/avetiwukuz.diff
On first glance, the team is extremely threatened by Volcarona, and so I'd imagine Scarf Stone Edge Keldeo checks it. Icy wind to stop random set up sweepers and mandatory dual STAB.
The solution to psychic spam seemed to be Jirachi, hence, I'd feel like SpDef Jirachi would make the most sense. Healing Wish made sense to heal up wincons late game.

With Keldeo being scarf'ed, I doubted the team being dual scarf. LO/Specs Gengar made sense since spamming ghost attacks is so good right now (Greninja is not a resist haha). I went with Specs; LO hits + Rocks makes Gengar a less and less reliable check to 'mosa every hit (I'm about 80% sure that the team was built for a tour and not the suspect ladder).

Mawile + Greninja is tricky, since both Ash and Protean work well with Mawile. However, I feel like Spikes are amazing in this metagame and they help out the wallbreaking core of Mawile and Gengar a lot. Gunk Shot is an unwritten mandatory on all ninjas and I feel like Extrasensory is another coverage option to somewhat alleviate the minor Venusaur weakness and hit Toxapex. HP fire is to hit annoying steels that sorta bother Mawile. Ebelt as a possible item as that has been gaining traction as of late to avoid recoil. Mawile is the standard SD set which does so well with Spikes up and its checks weakened. TPunch hits 'pex, 'steela and skarm.

Z-Crystal was missing, hence Offensive Lando-T made sense. Late game wincon which can shred offence and help break stall. DD 'cause rocks on 'rachi.
  • Lando's Z-Crystal – Flyinium-Z is better suited against offence but Rockium-Z breaks stall better.
  • Gengar's set – Never Ending Nightmare + Taunt could be a potential stall breaker with Earth Plate Lando.
  • Not as big, but Jirachi could have Icy Wind or some tech move over Healing Wish to catch Lando switch ins.

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- U-turn

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
Overview:
Since Zygarde is in the first slot, it's almost definitely DD Dragonium Z Zygarde. Rocks Lando, Scarf Keldeo, cant rly decide on the tang set but leaning towards AV since it looks more water weak despite the gross+koko ground weak. offensive koko, gross with tpunch icepunch mash hammer arm so ferro doesnt spike too freely. standard sets.

lots of possibilities for this build, and it looks fun to play with.​

Things Most Confident Of:
Keldeo​

Things Least Confident Of:
Zygarde / Tangrowth​

Last edited:
Reactions: dk
Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge

So as I said before I'm pretty sure it's Scarf Keldeo, Double Punch Metagross, and Defensive Landorus-T. Scarf Keldeo probably has Stone Edge because Volcarona and Charizard Y are dumb and the safest switch-in there is to them is offensive Zygarde. Mixed Defense AV Tang seemed good here for better physically defensive utility while retaining good special bulk. Tapu Koko is probably offensive pivot with Taunt I think because Clefable is a really pain to handle since only Metagross can actually beat it but Fire Blast really hurts, so Taunt allows Koko to do so as well.

Most Confident
- Keldeo / Landorus-T - pretty self explanatory, but Lando is sorta iffy since it's versatile.

Least Confident
- Koko / Zygarde - Koko is very versatile too (could be something like CM, Orb, Mixed, etc.) and Zygarde with Draconium is cool but anything works here except CB imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)