Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there a reason that Heliolisk is so mediocre this generation? I would've expected it to be really good but it's C- rank on the viability ranks.
The metagame right now is extremely unfriendly to the electric lizard. Extremely good specially defensive Pokemon in generations with Umbreon, Florges, Cresselia, Diancie, Porygon2, etc and do to the prevalence of Swellow many teams are having a good normal resist/boomburst sponge nowadays so if you prepare for swellow, you kind of prepare for heliolisk by default.

Tbh, thats also the reason why hardly any electric type besides the rotoms are like notable right now mainly because of its defensive utility. So yeah, thats basically it really. Maybe the ranking is rather harsh for it but that will be up to debate later on.

NG Spencer

Banned deucer.
I've been using smeargle to set webs and rocks and its always feels like it just doesn't have enough moves, magic coat is necessary vs froslass, spore and taunt stop defog while serving other roles, memento helps bring in a mon for free, while nuzzle makes set up much harder. I guess I'll try out shuckle since the point of my team was to set up hazards then abuse the competitive boost milotic gets when they try to defog, and being able to hang around longer will give me multiple opportunities to accomplish this, thank you all for your advice.

I know that salazzle can poison steel types with corrosion but is it better with oblivious or corrosion? I just hatched a 6 iv modest female salandit with oblivious. However I don't know if Salazzle is better with modest or timid.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a question about Reuniculus being S-Rank: With 3 "Anti"-Psychic Mons being S-Rank, how exactly is that possible again?
Reuniclus is an S rank Pokémon due primarily to its match up with Bulkier Balance / Stall teams when using cm, which aren't like to carry Shark or Zoro, and Heracross, while sometimes found on balance, is not a necessity either. That being said it is risky to switch any of those 3 into Reuniclus as a Z thunder crushes Shark and Zoro, while psychic STAB is obviously KOing Hera. Reuniclus can also run an offensive trick room set which if safely set up only fears Sucker Punch from Zoro, while easily taking out the other two. Finally, Reuniclus is a great teammate for all 3 of these Pokémon, as Fighting, Fairy, and Poison mons as well as just generally bulky Pokémon all fear and are set up bait for Reuniclus.

Timid is the superior nature on salazzle, needed to outrun threats like espeon, durant, virizion, and sneasel. And oblivious is the better ability, as avoiding taunt is more useful then being able to take advantage of sludge waves 10% chance to poison against pokemon salazzle would rather just fire blast.
OK this is tiny, but if salazzle is taunt, it prefers corrosion, because it means p2 traces corrosion instead of oblivious, meaning you can taunt p2 and not get twaved.

Tuthur

formerly 0-7 in FCL
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
When will a new BL3 Pokémon be reintroduced ? Feraligatr has been reintroduced since more than a month, and I think that Talonflame is maybe no more broken with the raise of Rhyperior, Gigalith and Quagsire.

When will a new BL3 Pokémon be reintroduced ? Feraligatr has been reintroduced since more than a month, and I think that Talonflame is maybe no more broken with the raise of Rhyperior, Gigalith and Quagsire.
When the council feels like there's should be, on a basis that there are enough solid checks and counters without them being too forced on a player to run them or non-standard sets just for that one Pokemon.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The possibility of retesting something is there but after seeing what the next tier shift have for us. Can tell you that much.

Until then, stay tuned I suppose.

I'm very new to RU, so could someone please explain to me why Blastoise is sub-par in this meta? Thanks!
Compared to the other viably possible spinners in the tier (Dhelmise, Donphan, Torkoal but its not spinning in reality, Cryogonal), it mainly lacks presence, and so is an empty shell. You might think it's good when you add other moves on like Scald and Toxic, Roar, Haze, Refresh, Counter, and so on with that spinning, going "oh, its bulky and it checks this, and 100% scald burns is soooo good". A lot of ladder players probably have this thought as well, as it got into RU for some reason.

Donphan checks Doublade, a common defensive setup threat, and can spin on Registeel/Bronzong while threatening Ghost spinblockers with Knock Off; Dhelmise can punch holes in teams, trap, setup or spin, and so can be a surprise with what you give it and therefore scary unpredictable; theoretically if Torkoal was spinning, the Drought boost gives it a good damage output and can SR for you, and should it not be able to handle what it's weak to it can pass that job on to its Grass Chrolophyll teammate to break open a chance for it. Cryogonal has a passable SpAtk to use that threatens premier Spikers Chesnaught and Roserade while giving opposing defoggers a hard time with Freeze Dry, and has an immunity + very good SpDef to take advantage of and switchin (sounds better on paper but pretty meh lol). The important thing with these four is that they have options or attributes that give them a consistent amount of opportunities to spin while also being threatening in some form.

Blastoise is a completely defensive spinner with 4 slot syndrome that's easily taken advantage of with threats like CM users in Reuniclus and Comfey, Lax, Heracross, Growth Venusaur in Sun, Dragalge, and Shaymin. Rapid/Scald/ Toxic/Filler is the usual set, and if you're gonna use I would make the last slot Roar so it at least isn't complete bait while phazing for you (http://prntscr.com/fra357 for other options). Otherwise, its very hard to justify a reason why to at least use it over the other three, or any other removal for that matter.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm very new to RU, so could someone please explain to me why Blastoise is sub-par in this meta? Thanks!
While everything iRKD is pretty accurate, there is one extra reason Blastoise is viewed as sub-par; Mantine. While both Blastoise and Mantine remove entry hazards, Mantine has reliable recovery, neutrality to Grass, extra resistances to Fighting and Bug (huge with Heracross in the tier) and a Ground immunity (more useful for the Spikes / TSpikes immunity) Mantine basically removes entry hazards with much more reliability than Blastoise and has a similar typing to Blastoise that offers Mantine extra key resistances in the current metagame while its raw special bulk and much more useful Water Absorb ability give it extra defensive utility Blastoise doesn't have. Thanks to this raw special bulk, Mantine is capable of actually defeating Chesnaught and Roserade should it choose to run Air Slash (not usually advised, but it's there if your team hates them) whereas Blastoise has to rely on Toxicing Chesnaught and completely gives up momentum against Roserade (very scary mon to give up momentum to right now) So if the other Spinners in the tier having more utility than Blastoise isn't enough to explain why Blastoise is sub-par, then the similar typing and extra utility of Mantine should be enough.

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I just wanna point out z move refresh helps with recovery and should be best option if anyone does decide to try Blastoise. It still p viable imo I do agree with some points made tho

MrAldo

Hey
What are some good partners for Meloetta?
Stuff that appreciate specially defensive Pokemon like Snorlax and Registeel removed. Comfey makes for a good partner as a dual calm mind core and because Meloetta handles Doublade, Swellow for a pseudo normal spam duo. Dragon Dance Flygon appreciate it dealing with bulky mons so it has an easier time cleaning.

As a stats user and as a noob, I was wondering why Reuniclus gets so little usage when it's broken enough to be suspect tested. Is it because Reuniclus is hard to fit on teams, but works great when it does fit? Also, does the fact that it's already not common mean that banning it won't make much of a difference?

As a stats user and as a noob, I was wondering why Reuniclus gets so little usage when it's broken enough to be suspect tested. Is it because Reuniclus is hard to fit on teams, but works great when it does fit? Also, does the fact that it's already not common mean that banning it won't make much of a difference?
ladder is bad

How come Heracross's Ban isn't updated to the Pokedex?
Since this is the only analysis for regular Heracross that's currently up, we're holding off on deleting it until its UU analysis is finished so that people interested in using it still have an idea as to what sets it can run.
ladder is bad
So I should stop using usage stats? If I do, then how will I know which movesets are best, or how much stall there is in a format?

So I should stop using usage stats? If I do, then how will I know which movesets are best, or how much stall there is in a format?
i'm not seeing the correlation between best sets and usage.. and determining how much "stall" there is like isn't affected by ladder quality, stats will tell you how much a mon is used on ladder but usage =/= viability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)