Small Site Page Changes - (Typos, Poor Wording, Inaccuracies, Etc.)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS IN THIS THREAD. DOUBLE POST. TRIPLE POST, BUT DO *NOT* EDIT.

Post small changes to pages on the site here. Fundamental idea: if there is something wrong with a page on the site and your fix does not change the structure of it, then post it here instead of making a new topic. (Quick addition: if your change is controversial, this is probably not the topic for it. All C&C forums have an analysis discussion thread for such changes, where the relevant people will see them quicker; if your change is to a non-analysis page, feel free to post it here though)

Why are there no posts here?: When something gets fixed in this thread the post is deleted, don't be weirded out by the lack of posts!

SCMS people: You don't need to post here. Just make the change yourself. If you fix someone else's problem, please post that you did so.

When corrections are made by Site Staff, the post reporting the error will be deleted.

Rules

~ It would be wonderful if you linked to the page you want to correct, that makes fixing it that much quicker. Please link to the page on the site. I'm tired of trying to find the page to edit something, only to read through the whole thing and realize you were talking about the ADV analysis or something dumb. If you just say something like "Geodude needs to have 5 more Attack EVs on its Rock Throw set" without linking to the analysis, you will be infracted. If you can't take the time to just add a link, then it's not that helpful.

~ If the errors you find are limited to certain parts of a page, it's a great idea to clarify in which areas your edits are located. For example, "On Kakuna's 'Ubers Support' set, x needs to be capitalized". Better yet is quoting the context so the section you're talking about is quickly and easily found.

~ If your change cannot be made by regular badgeholders or staff members, this is not the thread for it. Regular badge holders can edit analyses, articles, and other "unique" site pages, i.e. pretty much everything that was written in a workshop-like subforum; changes to these pages should go here. However, if, instead, your change is a more structural change, e.g. involves editing a database file (e.g. is to move descriptions or Pokemon learnsets), a template (e.g. the placeholder hyperlinks that appear on any empty dex page), or anything that isn't text (e.g. a broken sprite or 3D model), then post in the Dex bug report thread.

NOTICE #1: Badged members, do NOT just auto-correct all the suggestions. A lot of the time, the suggestion isn't grammatically correct.

NOTICE #2: Be clear about what you have fixed and always make a post AFTER the corrected post to note this.

NOTICE #3: I've noticed that for some reason on the credits page that strings of text will move around the page in between edits from when a person edits the page and when someone caches it. Nobody is doing this on purpose, and it irritates me that it happens, though it mostly happens at the very bottom of the page after the last </dd> tag. For a while there it was "Symphx" that was jumping down, and then a few times it was "ed seve" that jumped. IDK why or how this happens, just be aware that it does.

NOTICE #4:
PSA:

The Smogdex is in a transitional stage at the moment. work is underway on a new dex that will be the merger of the smogdex and the PSdex. Starting with gen 8, the smogdex uses the data package used by the merged dex (https://github.com/smogon/data/), which is built from the PS data source. for any given bug, there are two possibilities, one is that there is a bug in the data package, and the other is that there is a bug in the PS data source. there have been a couple of regressions in the PS data source, but if it's not gen 7 related then it's much more likely a bug in the data package.

The data package is very much a WIP so there isn't much documentation, but if anyone is interested in working on this project they can reach me on discord chaos#1111 or the smogon/ps development discord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Smeargle can learn Stealth Rock in DP. He is currently not listed as a user.
Technically, Smeargle only "learns" Sketch. However, considering Sketch can't copy every move, I'll look into changing Smeargle's learnset to everything it can currently copy with Sketch, as listing it as a learner of said move on the move's page is probably more important than being technically correct.

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/chaining
Quick Ball (Decreases by 1 after every 5 turns): 4
Bulbapedia says it starts at 4 and decreases to 1 on the second turn.
Dusk Ball (Rate is 1 when it is not night): 4
Bulbapedia says the multiplier is 3.5.
Nest Ball (Depending on the level): 3
If the multiplier depends on the level, then it should be obvious that the multiplier isn't always 3. The article should probably include the entire formula, which according to Bulbapedia, is max(40 - wild Pokemon's level) / 10, 1).
Timer Ball(Increases by 1 after every 10 turns): 1
Bulbapedia says it increases by 0.1 every 1 turn until it reaches 4.
Soundproof/Suction Cups
Although Taunt is usually more convenient, Soundproof prevents wild Pokémon from using Roar on you, and Suction Cups nullifies both Roar and Whirlwind.

Pokémon: Voltorb, Electrode, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Lileep, Cradily.
This one is missing Octillery.

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/dpp_pokeradar
The chain will never break when encountering the same species in a patch of grass,
I haven't tested this in DP, but I know that in Pt, sometimes my chain will break when I encounter a Pokemon of the same species that I was chaining. I know this thread is for corrections that we know for sure are wrong, not for edits that "probably should" happen. But I still thought it's a convenient time to mention that if you have the "trainer counter" app open on the Poketch while you're chaining, and you walk into a patch of grass that breaks the chain, then you can see the top bar go blank before the battle starts. I think this probably should be mentioned in the guides.

Additionally, there are inconsistencies between the 2 guides, and for some of them, I don't know which one is right. The first 1 is about the number of kinds of grass patches.
Unlike regular patches, there are multiple variants of flashing patches.
Here, we can see 2 different types of grass shaking.
This 1 is about the effective differences between the different kinds of grass.
Poké Radar Exclusives are Pokémon that only appear using the Poké Radar, and only appear in flashing patches.
There are 3 that have leaves jumping around, and one that just shakes gently. There isn't too much different about these to my knowledge.
This 1 is about formations.
After extensive testing, the following have been determined to be the safest formations in the game. Results may vary with the appearance rate of the target Pokémon, but all of these formations should have a success rate of at least 90%. They are also ranked from most successful to least successful, with the first formation having a phenomenal success rate of at least 98%.
I have come across a few tutorials on chaining saying that there are bad formations, or formations that might trade probabilities between patches. These are all myths. After some research in the ASM of the game, I found no such case where this applied. Long story short, the patches have the percentages as listed in this guide, regardless of other patches touching them, or lack of patches touching each other.
The "ways to break your chain" list are slightly different.
  • Entering a patch that does not contain your Pokémon (this can occur for many reasons).
  • Entering an edge patch that contains your Pokémon, but having the subsequent patches all activate outside of your field.
  • Entering the wrong type of patch.
  • Forgetting to use a Repel.
  • Moving so that all the patches most recently activated are out of view.
  • Being Roared or Whirlwinded by a Pokémon.
  • Resetting the Poké Radar on an edge patch.
  • Using the bicycle.
Here is a list of things that will break your chain:

• Turning off the power.
  • Moving away so that all patches that shook are offscreen (careful about this one).
  • Using your bike.
  • Forgetting to re-apply a Repel and encountering a random wild battle.
  • No patches shook as a result of each tile that was supposed to shake not being a grass tile (this is why you should be cautious about edges of grass and corners). If you have 8 grass tiles surrounding you (all tiles in the red zone are grass), then you don't need to worry about this. (That's also why Route 222 is probably the best for chaining.)
  • That unlucky chance your chain will break. The lowest this chance will get is 2%, which is pretty low. If you only go to the blue zone, it will be a 12% chance that your chain will break at most, but keep the risk of edges and corners in mind.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Figuring I should post a quick PSA about this here (I'll delete this post again soon), with the new generation martha and I decided to slightly reorganise the small changes threads.

First, we're folding the Small Subjective Changes thread into this one and won't be moving that one over from the old forum. The analysis discussion threads in the subforums (which weren't a thing yet when the thread was first posted) have made that one mostly obsolete, and the scattered few changes that it was still the best place for will be noticed quicker here.

Secondly, this thread has occasionally seen posts on issues that regular badgeholders and staff don't have access to fix / wouldn't usually be comfortable trying their hands at. E.g. broken hyperlinks in templates, issues with sprites, and, since the relevant files were effectively moved to Github with the ongoing Dex merge a little while ago, edits to move file descriptions and other database files and other more structural changes to the Dex. While finding the right people to fix those errors still isn't hard, it makes more sense to just divert these changes away to a dedicated thread where they'll see them quicker, for which the (revamped) Dex bug report thread is a good option.

tl;dr
- if your change requires someone with (S)CMS access: this thread here;
- if your change requires someone with github access or a programmer: this thread here.

that is all

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
1. It says that Onix is the only Rock/Ground pokémon in RB UU, even though Graveler and Golem are also in UU and are also Rock/Ground.
2. In https://www.smogon.com/dex/rb/pokemon/onix/ it says "don't even try using it in OU, where it is completely outclassed by Golem." So, does that mean that Golem should be OU?
On the note of this, Golem dropped to UU a while back. Onix's analysis is from far before this happened, although I agree Graveler outclasses it. It should be updated to say Rhydon outclasses it in OU, and Golem in UU. However, this is usually a revamp analysis thing rather than a typo/error. It is a large-ish change.

https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/machoke

Machoke is a great pick thanks to its solid bulk and unstoppable coverage, letting it excel in the bulky attacker role. Its high-Base Power (AH) STAB move in Close Combat is great for punching holes through Piloswine, Klang, and Ferroseed. Knock Off allows Machoke to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types like Hattrem and Haunter and Hattrem, (RC and swap examples) while also debilitating (or "and debilitates") its checks like Galarian Corsola and Gloom by removing their Eviolite. Bullet Punch provides priority to pick off faster threats like Haunter and Morgrem once they get worn down. Earthquake offers coverage for Mareanie, while Heavy Slam can hit physically defensive Fairy-types like Clefairy and Togetic that would otherwise can wall this set. 44 Speed EVs allow Machoke to be faster than uninvested Piloswine, and the remaining HP and Attack investment solidifies Machoke's role as a bulky attacker.

Machoke can work as an early-game lead (is this not redundant?), as it can threaten every Pokemon with its coverage while being hard to take down itself...

With the extra speed and power that this set provides, Machoke makes an excellent wallbreaker. Flame Orb with Guts (technically, Guts with Flame Orb is more correct, but this is v nitpicky) boosts Machoke's Attack to high levels, meaning not much can safely switch into Machoke. Machoke can OHKO Piloswine with Close Combat and is nearly guaranteed to 2HKO Galarian Corsola with Knock Off after Stealth Rock damage. Bullet Punch can threaten faster Pokemon like Galarian Linoone and Roselia, meaning they cannot revenge kill Machoke if they get worn down enough. Facade is a high-Base Power (AH) coverage option that allows Machoke to break past Gloom, which is otherwise one of its most relevant checks, whereas Heavy Slam can break Fairy-types like Clefairy and Togetic once their Eviolite has been removed...

:>

I submit here some cosmetic remarks on the classification of some mons on the Smogon Dex. I had already made a similar post six months ago, but it wasn't taken into account (as the saying goes, l'espoir fait vivre):
• in RBY, Graveler is classified in UU, while Golem is in the same tier;
• in ADV, Meditite, Omanyte and Zigzagoon are classified in LC, while they are all banned from this format;
• in DPP, Rhydon is classified like an NFE, while it's well placed in NU VRs; in comparison, Clamperl, Pikachu, Vigoroth, Togetic and Yanma are placed in NU, while they are absent from these same VRs;
• in BW, Mandibuzz is classified in Untiered, while it has the uses to be in NU;
• in XY, Avalugg is classified in Untiered, while it has the uses to be in PU;
• in SM, Type: Null is classified in Untiered, while it's an NFE.
I found other things, but i don't want to overload the post

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure these two are a result of Mandi’s and Lugg’s usage stats being under the 3.14% cutoff and thus being classed as untiered, but the others should be fine
However, I did find the latest usage statistics taken into account for the tiering of these generations. In addition, these two mons aren't playable in ZU Old Gens, which is a sign that doesn't deceive

didls

formerly Besom
It seems that the suggestion that I made for this article went completely ignored.

While you're correct that Numel's got a higher chance of appearing than Spinda, Route 113 with Spinda is still better in Emerald for EV training Special Attack. This is because the location in Emerald has a 25% chance of Slugma, who also give 1 SpA EV, making the location a total 95% chance of a Special Attack EV giving Pokemon, significantly better than Route 112's 75%.

You're right! Then shouldn't Slugma and Spinda be added in the second chart "Hotspots for EV Training over Multiple Pokémon"? SpA is the only stat that isn't listed there, and that could be useful information.

The current article has a few flaws. It lists Spinda on route 113 as a common encounter for Sp.Atk EVs, when Spinda and Slugma on route 113 should be listed under "Hotspots for EV Training Across Multiple Pokémon."
It makes no sense that Sp.Atk is the only stat not listed in that section.

When I used this article for EV training, I was heavily persuaded not to train Sp.Atk due to the lack of reliable encounters, when there is in fact a 95% chance to get Sp.Atk EVs.

In place of Spinda, the single encounter should be Numel, which is a 75% chance on route 112, the highest percentage for a single Pokémon that gives Sp.Atk. I assume the person who wrote the article only looked at Ruby and Sapphire encounters.

Another thing that could be added is a warning that wild Shuppet (the single encounter for Atk EVs) have Knock-Off. In Gen 3, if a Macho Brace is knocked off, you do not get double the EVs.

didls

formerly Besom
Another error in this page.
It lists Zubat's encounter as "Cave of Origin."
Cave of Origin is completely inaccessible after awakening Rayquaza in Emerald, and only has a 90% encounter.
Altering Cave has a 100% Zubat encounter and should be listed instead.
And before anyone says that Altering Cave is postgame; so is Desert Underpass, which is actually listed in the article.

didls

formerly Besom
In the overview of Kricketune's XY Analysis, it says:
Kricketune is an outclassed Sticky Web setter in PU, able it to support its slow but powerful teammates by slowing down the opposing Pokemon but not as well as other options.
It should probably be corrected to something like:
Kricketune is an outclassed Sticky Web setter in PU, able it to support its slow but powerful teammates by slowing down the opposing team's Pokemon, but not as well as other options.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know I'm a badgeholder but I really can't figure out how to edit this page--but last gen Ciran and I updated the Special Ball guide for SM (and I just fixed it for USUM) so it should be listed under Seventh Generation.

Maybe we can update it for gen 8 too? Or would that mean a new article?

https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/mewtwo/bh/

The "Technician" set should slash Sniper as a secondary ability (it might also need to be renamed because of this)

Frost Breath and Storm Throw would go from 1.5*1.5 = 2.25x damage from crit and technician to just 2.25x damage from crit due to sniper, so their damage would be unaffected.
The fourth moveslot lists Knock-off, Stealth Rock, and Spectral Thief. None of these moves ever benefit from technician, while Knock-off and Spectral Thief can benefit from Sniper if they happen to crit.
The third moveslot determines whether or not Technician is better. If Bonemerang is chosen, the reliable power boost from technician is always better than the occasional boost from sniper (a sniper crit isn't any stronger than a technician crit), but if Sunsteel Strike is chosen it never gets a power-up from technician while it can occasionally see one from sniper.

The improvement seen changing from Technician to Sniper is rare, but it does technically exist and has no downsides if Sunsteel Strike is the third move.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Not sure if this is the place to go for these kinds of articles, but the RBY Differences article on-site has a small issue.
Due to this, there is always an extra 1/256 chance that any "100% accuracy" attack will miss, and that any high critical hit rate attack will miss (+~0.4%). The only exception is Swift which does not perform this check and, thus, cannot possibly miss.
It claims the "only" exception to the rule is Swift, when Bide also bypasses accuracy checks. While an irrelevant move, to say it isn't an exception is a blatant lie.

Thus, it should say;
Due to this, there is always an extra 1/256 chance that any "100% accuracy" attack will miss, and that any high critical hit rate attack will miss (+~0.4%). The only exceptions are Swift and Bide, which do not perform this check and, thus, cannot possibly miss.
On a side note, Swift also only bypasses accuracy checks for Substitutes in the Japanese games, while Bide doesn't bypass accuracy checks in Stadium, but these aren't really relevant to the guide, so it probably isn't worth adding that.

The Stomping Tantrum description does not definitively say whether the damage is doubled if the Pokemon missed its attack on the previous turn (which yes, it does get doubled). Therefore, the part where it refers to "not including damage from an unsuccessful High Jump Kick, Jump Kick, or Mind Blown" is very unclear. I assume this means that, while the move's damage is normally boosted by missing an attack, this is not the case if the previous missed attack was HJK/Jump Kick/Mind Blown, but I'm not sure? It could actually mean that this "effect" is not counted, and the move's power actually is boosted, I would have to test.

Either way, the fact that the move is boosted by misses should definitely be clarified, as it's a common misconception that this is not the case, since it's not really clarified on any of the main sites online. There should also probably be a clarification that the move's power is boosted if the last attack went into an immunity, whether a type immunity, ability immunity (such as Flash Fire/Sap Sipper), or a terrain immunity (such as a priority attack in Psychic Terrain, sleep move in Electric Terrain, status move in Misty Terrain).

Another thing about the sentence I mentioned, is that it's structured oddly. It starts with saying that the power is doubled if the previous move failed to do any of its effects, goes into the exemption for HJK etc, and then says "or if the user was prevented from moving by any effect other than recharging or Sky Drop" immediately afterwards. It seems open to interpretation whether the move's damage is doubled or not for each of these cases, since it starts with exemptions and then leads into non-exemptions.

To clarify, if the user was prevented from moving on the previous turn by paralysis, sleep, freeze, confusion, being Taunted/Disabled, already having a sub or not being able to create a sub due to low HP, etc. Then yes, the move's power is doubled. As the sentence seems to be implying, it is not doubled if the previous turn was a recharging turn or it was prevented from moving by Sky Drop. But again, this isn't properly clarified, and I have seen many misconceptions about this move online.

I'm not sure how this would be written succinctly, but maybe the general rule of whether the move animates or not, should be mentioned. Although this is not a hard rule, as demonstrated by the Sky Drop scenario, so I'm not sure. Either way, I think that at least the fact that the move's power is doubled by misses and attacking into immunities, at the very least, should be mentioned.

While we're on the topic of EVs, can someone add these EV training locations to the articles that are currently missing them?

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual
Add this to the Platinum EV training locations.
HP: Shellos and Gastrodon by surfing at Route 205 south, Idol Grace in Pokemon centers (Clefairy)
Physical Attack: Gyarados and Seaking by super rod at Twinleaf Town, Eterna City, and Celestic Town, Guitarist Arturo in Pokemon centers (Kricketune)
Special Attack: Golduck and Psyduck by surfing at Resort Area, Interviewers Roxi and Olie at Pokemon centers (Gardevoir and Magnezone)
Special Defense: Tentacruel and Mantyke by surfing at Route 223
Speed: Poke Kid Ariel at Pokemon centers (Pikachu and Raichu)
Route 224 should also be removed from the Platinum table because Tentacruel have only a 30% encounter chance there in Platinum.
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/emerald_ev_manual
Add this to the EV training locations.
HP: Marill by surfing at Petalburg City, Wailmer by super rod at Dewford Town or Slateport City, Barboach and Whiscash by super rod at Meteor Falls 1F2R or Victory Road
Physical Attack: Carvanha and Sharpedo by super rod at Route 118
Speed: Magikarp by any rod on Route 104, Zubat and Golbat by walking in Seafloor Cavern, Golbat by surfing in Victory Road B2F, Zubat by walking in Altering Cave, Smeargle by walking in Artisan Cave
https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/evs_ivs
Add this to the RSE EV training locations.
HP: Marill by surfing at Petalburg City, Wailmer by super rod at Dewford Town or Slateport City, Barboach and Whiscash by super rod at Meteor Falls 1F2R or Victory Road, Ditto, Whismur, Loudred by walking at Desert Underpass (Emerald only)
Physical Attack: Carvanha and Sharpedo by super rod at Route 118
Physical defense: Geodude, Graveler, Torkoal at Magma Hideout (Emerald only)
Special defense: Duskull at Mt. Pyre 1F to 3F (Ruby only)
Speed: Magikarp by any rod on Route 104, Zubat and Golbat by walking in Seafloor Cavern, Golbat by surfing in Victory Road B2F, Zubat by walking in Altering Cave (Emerald only)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
The images here are dead and should probably be updated.

But honestly, this article could probably be pulled and nobody would bat an eye. Looking at the dev thread, it's from just after Hipmonlee removed BL, but was based on the 2k10+PO tiering, so it's kinda weird. Given 2k10 and PO died a long, long time ago, and Smogon's has become the standard, this article is very outdated. It doesn't even mention Hypno and Tentacruel, despite one person asking at the time! It appears that another guide (this one) was pulled prior to this, so maybe this should be replaced instead..?

This RBY Tradebacks article doesn't note that Magmar gets Thunder Punch via TM41 in GSC. This is quite important, as it's significantly more viable there because of it!
Not sure if this is the place to go for these kinds of articles, but the RBY Differences article on-site has a small issue.

It claims the "only" exception to the rule is Swift, when Bide also bypasses accuracy checks. While an irrelevant move, to say it isn't an exception is a blatant lie.

Thus, it should say;

On a side note, Swift also only bypasses accuracy checks for Substitutes in the Japanese games, while Bide doesn't bypass accuracy checks in Stadium, but these aren't really relevant to the guide, so it probably isn't worth adding that.
These haven't been fixed either. Plus, another mechanics guide on-site does the exact same thing where it misses Bide, and I think it has other stuff missing.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
For some reason, the Thunder Stone's icon doesn't show up here. It hardly matters on the RB dex, but I did a bit of verifying and it seems some items lack sprites. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix, I don't think.

Looking at the Gen 8 section, in addition to the Thunder Stone, these items wouldn't have icons show up either;
  • Bottle Cap
  • Dream Ball
  • Energy Powder
  • Gold Bottle Cap
  • Ice Stone
  • Jaw Fossil
  • Prism Scale
  • Sachet
  • Sail Fossil
  • Sport Ball
  • Up-Grade
  • Whipped Dream

Example of Whipped Dream;
1609317729713.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)