Smogon Grand Slam V - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't bother quoting posts since you all know who I ma referring to but also to other people in discord or IRC channels.
Well yes I didn't even expect to have the tier I lead in this Grand Slam and to be honest, even if I am not going to play, it is great and all.
Anyways I expected that, whenever something similar was going to happen, we would become some sort of "new Little Cup" to the enjoyment of LC players now being saved from the random hatred their tier got in the past just because PU has a stupid name that probably should be changed, but let's not open a can of worms, and it is cool to hate it and all for players from clearly objectively superior tiers, whatever they might be.
My question is how quick so many people are to judge a tier they didn't even play (PU and LC main examples) because the many players that delved into the tier for a tournament or whatever from other places told me they found it fun and that seems to be the case for many of the people that in the past had misconceptions about LC and, if they tried, to some extent enjoyed it. I am not saying it is the rule, since any tier clearly has issues of centralization that are directly linked to the Pokemon that lie in them, but please give it a chance before dismissing it quickly for some weird reason.

Now this is just numbers, and talking from numbers only is in general incomplete to say the least, but ladder wise PU has been roughly as popular as all the other lower tiers in the tournament, with about 100k battles, bar UU, and if the player base doesn't look to be developed to you, Ice tea, that clearly spent a lot of time investigating on PUPL and tournament replays since you didn't comment in the IS thread regarding Grand Slam, it is also because nobody had a chance to prove himself in official tournaments, outside of a short number of midly known names such as teddeh and me who come from other tiers that get some sort of spotlight.

I don't know if you read the rules but I assume you have dude and this kind of format, which only considers your 5 best runs for playoff points, will actually help you reach playoffs since you can spend all the effort in the other 6 perfect tiers in which the better player will win 100% of the time so you can drop PU and be fine with your run. Afaik we have no information on playoff format but it will likely stay a bo5 so yeah even without the shitfest PU apparently is you can get to the finals and win

Why did I write all this to a silly provocation is beyond me

inb4: glad we asked

I won't bother quoting posts since you all know who I ma referring to but also to other people in discord or IRC channels.
Well yes I didn't even expect to have the tier I lead in this Grand Slam and to be honest, even if I am not going to play, it is great and all.
Anyways I expected that, whenever something similar was going to happen, we would become some sort of "new Little Cup" to the enjoyment of LC players now being saved from the random hatred their tier got in the past just because PU has a stupid name that probably should be changed, but let's not open a can of worms, and it is cool to hate it and all for players from clearly objectively superior tiers, whatever they might be.
My question is how quick so many people are to judge a tier they didn't even play (PU and LC main examples) because the many players that delved into the tier for a tournament or whatever from other places told me they found it fun and that seems to be the case for many of the people that in the past had misconceptions about LC and, if they tried, to some extent enjoyed it. I am not saying it is the rule, since any tier clearly has issues of centralization that are directly linked to the Pokemon that lie in them, but please give it a chance before dismissing it quickly for some weird reason.

Now this is just numbers, and talking from numbers only is in general incomplete to say the least, but ladder wise PU has been roughly as popular as all the other lower tiers in the tournament, with about 100k battles, bar UU, and if the player base doesn't look to be developed to you, Ice tea, that clearly spent a lot of time investigating on PUPL and tournament replays since you didn't comment in the IS thread regarding Grand Slam, it is also because nobody had a chance to prove himself in official tournaments, outside of a short number of midly known names such as teddeh and me who come from other tiers that get some sort of spotlight.

I don't know if you read the rules but I assume you have dude and this kind of format, which only considers your 5 best runs for playoff points, will actually help you reach playoffs since you can spend all the effort in the other 6 perfect tiers in which the better player will win 100% of the time so you can drop PU and be fine with your run. Afaik we have no information on playoff format but it will likely stay a bo5 so yeah even without the shitfest PU apparently is you can get to the finals and win

glad we asked

glad we asked
What Italy said

I don't know whether to take this serious or not but I don't think you caught my point at all, but that would be the case for any new tier from low relevance that would be added to a trophy tour such as Grand Slam. The playerbase is relatively low for oficial tour standards which represents that the tier isn't pretty from big means and thus people don't frequently play it on a high level. And when it actually matters at lets say playoffs or further in the tournament the risk that people go find a competent player that can ''potentially'' ghost a user because he doesn't know much of the tier would increase.
And this should be most likely prevented right?
Anyway this is just a minor point of why i think adding PU would be wrong, and I already wasted my time explaining it to a guy that uses shitty Starbucks coffee comparisions.
Guess what likes aren't the world if you think so im pretty sorry for you but ok, this was simply expressing my opinion of what i thought, my nigga I dont need to look cool on a forum where everyone is just 100% facade anyway :)
It is true that should a new Tier with a low playerbase be added may increase the odds of ghosting. However, including the Tier in GSlam may be the best way to give light to this Tier, and hopefully next year the ghosting about PU will decrease a lot if it happened.
Every time a Tier is added, the ghosting will be feared, but this is the best way to prevent the ghosting in the long run.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know whether to take this serious or not but I don't think you caught my point at all, but that would be the case for any new tier from low relevance that would be added to a trophy tour such as Grand Slam. The playerbase is relatively low for oficial tour standards which represents that the tier isn't pretty from big means and thus people don't frequently play it on a high level. And when it actually matters at lets say playoffs or further in the tournament the risk that people go find a competent player that can ''potentially'' ghost a user because he doesn't know much of the tier would increase.
Anyway this is just a minor point of why i think adding PU would be wrong, and I already wasted my time explaining it to a guy that uses shitty Starbucks coffee comparisions.
Guess what likes aren't the world if you think so im pretty sorry for you but ok, this was simply expressing my opinion of what i thought, my nigga I dont need to look cool on a forum where everyone is just 100% facade anyway :)
How about Peet's Coffee? I think they only have that west coast though

guys chill out and enjoy the smelly tier, no one's gonna play pu if there's no reason to, yeah sure the TLs are silly goats trying to cut machoke in half, but the tier is fine and it's worth learning

If you don't like it, don't play it. Ghosting concerns are super overblown and we make a huge deal out of a very significant minority that do it

PU is over the moon having the chance to represent the tier they love in an official tournament designed to represent the lower tiers. No one is being hurt by its representation so imo we cool the fuck down with our overly entitled perception of "what this tour should be" and play the opens we want to without vilifying the people that care about a tier we don't, thanks

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
dear galbia:

as a member of the little cup community you referenced, i am very aware of the constant berating and preconceived notions the come with playing as such. i know you guys are new to the tournament scene so i will offer you some friendly advice. if an incident like this comes up again, with someone trying to attack the tier you wholly enjoy playing, i usually stick to one very simple, yet incredibly effective statement. this statement is as follows:

"i literally could not give less of a fuck LOL"

**the "LOL" is optional, but it helps to add extra dgaf attitude

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I wanted to add that PU sees more ladder battles than RU and more people signed up for PUPL than RUPL; it's clearly the more popular tier. Why shouldn't it be included? Isn't one of the purposes of slam to give the growing "lower tier" playerbases a tour that actually ""matters""? (scare quotes)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wanted to add that PU sees more ladder battles than RU and more people signed up for PUPL than RUPL; it's clearly the more popular tier. Why shouldn't it be included? Isn't one of the purposes of slam to give the growing "lower tier" playerbases a tour that actually ""matters""? (scare quotes)
It has had more battles literally only one month ever and it was a month they had a suspect test, so its pretty misleading to say it is a more popular tier...

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If somebody had just screenshotted this and the avatar and gave it to me I would have been 100% certain this was a Hot N Cold post

In my head I was like "buddy you haven't been gone that long, no way your English got that bad"

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just out of curiosity, what happens if there's a tiebreaker between more than three players? Do they still battle in a round robin?

First time partcipating in the Grand Slam so I've got a somewhat silly question: We are allowed to use different teams within a single round [against one opponent], correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)