SM OU: Poek vs BHARATH_THEBEST - very good builder and player
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs Axel - very good builder and player

Ever Grande BIGS vs Congregation of the Classiest

SM OU: John vs Blackoblivion - very good builder and player
SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Sabella - very good builder and player
ORAS OU: xray vs Znain - very good builder and player

Dragonspiral Tyrants vs Alpha Ruiners

SM OU: psychicmewtwo vs Cdumas
SM OU: z0mOG vs Empo I think all 3 of these matches could go any way as they are all good players that use solid teams.
ORAS OU: Get this Money vs Hiye

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Just for BW this week

elodin (45) vs (55) Jirachee - Phil seems to have lost his touch over the past year or two and he has some unconventional team picks so far, but I think this matchup plays in his favor as he can default to his norm pretty comfortably (if norms even exist in this meta anymore). Elodin has been equipped with some pretty potent Ojama teams and they can role over anyone at the right time, but I think it’ll be hard to counterstyle Phil sufficiently without some pretty extreme measures, even if Ojama teamed with him last year just given his style. Overall, this is a close match, much closer than the price tags would leave you thinking, and Elodin has a bit more momentum coming in, but I just find Phil to be better at managing the game in the long term and his superior grasp on the tier as an individual will go a long way here as well, so I’m slightly favoring him assuming he doesn’t flop and play a passive early/mid-game.

Funkasaurus (60) vs (40) bluri - Two players who had weird wins last week for entirely different reasons. Bluri looked better than Funk week two as he dominated his opponent, Luck, in a game where the team matchup most would honestly expect to be flipped whereas Funk won in a rare, mistake-ridden game against McMeghan that came down to the wire. With that said, beating a top player like Roro isn’t something to be overlooked regardless of how it transpired and I feel like Funk has a much greater independent grasp on preparation, especially after talking to him about his teams — not to mention he is coming off a win against Bluri, himself, in WCOP after some nasty words were used by the fireball German beforehand. The main thing here is that I think Bluri’s “niche” of being able to pull out anything is kept in check by the Cryonicles BWer as Funk has shown in his brief time in BW this past year that he, too, isn’t afraid to cheese or use risky teams (Sun, Rain Stall, etc.). Given that, I’m really unsure what to expect from both as really anything can happen, but I feel more confident in Funk’s piloting of team archetypes across the board, especially on the stalker end of the spectrum, than Bluri. Don’t be surprised if preview plays a large role in deciding this one, however, as there is a bit of a rock-paper-scissors element to some of the trends forming in the meta and both of these players aren’t afraid of embracing that for better or worse.

SoulWind (40) vs (60) McMeghan - Top two ranked players in BW and rightfully so — this game should be touted as a clash of the titans. SoulWind is a long-time BW regular and seen as one of the giants of the tier, going positive in every SPL in recent memory playing BW, whereas Roro is one of the best players of all time, winning two SmogonTours win BW included and doing well in a number of team tournaments as well. While the rankings had SoulWind at #1, I personally favor the crafty Belgian over the raging Spaniard. While SoulWind likely has greater support aboard the close-knit Wolfpack ship and he has shown that he isn’t afraid to branch out and adapt to the metagame, I feel like McMeghan excels the most at times like this — the metagame of the past is changing, there are new strategies to explore, and there are plenty of different ways to approach the game and I feel that he will find the one that is not only the best fit to his own play style, but also one that also works for the game itself against his opponent. SoulWind’s understanding of the tier is unquestionably solid, but his ability to dissect the game at large and use everything possible out there to his advantage simply lacks in comparison to McMeghan — quite frankly, I’m not sure if anyone’s up to par with McMeghan in this category. I think gameplay is roughly even between the two in the tier after they both got off to mediocre starts compared to the lofty expectations set for them both, but the field feels stacked in favor of McMeghan here in a game that I hope will not only be a joy for spectators, but also progress the metagame itself. Regardless of the result, I expect both to surge forward and end positive even if one has to start 1-2.

dice (70) vs (30) jacob - Zoro being MIA this week is a cause for concern for the Ruiners, a team trying to keep up with the competition after an unfortunate start. Dice has gotten off to a fortunate, but strong start after winning week one and getting lucky in a win week two. I think his teambuilding is on par with the best right now and while his gameplay got sloppy later on last week, he made some strong reads earlier on and, if he is on top of the ball, is clearly higher than that of Jacob. While Jacob is a mostly unproven prospect in terms of BW play, I can personally attest to his basic competency in the tier and I think he can put up a good fight, but he still lacks experience and support to help him craft a sufficient team and understand how to manipulate the tendencies of his opponent. Overall, I think Dice is just better in every regard and we know too-little of Jacob to make any major assumptions as to why we should think otherwise, so clearly favoring the Tyrant’s BWer here.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not writing reasons for these because most of these are gut feelings more than anything else. Some of these picks are wack, but you gotta have a couple upsets mixed in every week.

SM OU
FlamingVictini
vs Gingy
Obliviate vs Gondra -
London Beats vs Lednah
Poek vs BHARATH_THEBEST
psychicmewtwo
vs Cdumas
z0mOG vs Empo
John vs Blackoblivion
Eo Ut Mortus
vs Sabella

ORAS OU
xray vs Znain
CrashinBoomBang
vs Axel
Mounts vs TDK
Get this Money vs Hiye

BW OU
elodin vs Jirachee
Funkasaurus
vs bluri
Posho vs LuckOverSkill
SoulWind vs McMeghan
dice vs jacob

DPP OU
Go10 vs Roscoe
aim
vs ToF
DPP OU: Honor vs NightFox
DPP OU: Void vs Tamahome
DPP OU: Bluewind vs We Three Kings

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I've said it on smogtours yesterday, but I'd like to mention that I've been a big fan of the adv games this year so far. Lot of underrated Pokemons and anti-meta sets have been used already, and a good amount of games have been disputed so far. I've been hating on the gen in the past, whether as a joke or legitimately, but I've gotta give credits where it's due, and ADV games have been the most pleasant to spectate for me so far.

McMeghan as the new ADV ladder king I challenge you to a bo5 in midseason. I'm not calling you out like I called everyone else cause unlike them you're actually good. We have our differences but you know that I respect you deep inside and I know you respect me. We don't have to smile for the cameras in public but the mutual respect is there. I'm also not calling you out because I think I will win easily just because I have a good tournament record against you, it's the contrary. I think you're the best player in ADV, you have the best record and I want to play the best.

I hope you will accept it.

As men you shouldn't refuse a man that has challenged you. It just shows you're a pussy and you go for the easy route (Golden Sun)

McMeghan as the new ADV ladder king I challenge you to a bo5 in midseason. I'm not calling you out like I called everyone else cause unlike them you're actually good. We have our differences but you know that I respect you deep inside and I know you respect me. We don't have to smile for the cameras in public but the mutual respect is there. I'm also not calling you out because I think I will win easily just because I have a good tournament record against you, it's the contrary. I think you're the best player in ADV, you have the best record and I want to play the best.

I hope you will accept it.

As men you shouldn't refuse a man that has challenged you. It just shows you're a pussy and you go for the easy route (Golden Sun)
Smurf. as PokemonPerfect's ADV World Champion I challenge you to a bo5 at midseason. tldr I actually think you're a genuine great and one of the most original players I've ever seen, and I want to play the best and see how I stack up. As men you shouldn't refuse a man who's challenged you (or you're a wuss), so I hope to see you on the field of battle.

Also I want to echo McMeghan 's post a little, most of the ADV games this SPL have been really interesting, we've seen cool new team archetypes (or old ones like the blue physical offense being redone), techs coming up the wazoo (DD IB Tar! also undis' pert and agilizap in the same game, whew), and some genuinely solid plays throughout. The most impressive ADVers to me at least would have to be BKC, undis, UD and Triangles, but everyone's acquitted themselves really well and should pat themselves on the back. It's been thrilling to see.

Because there's BKC, Ojama, Kevin Garret, Ari Stella, Astamatitos, Triangles, Unidisputed and many more legends of old playing the tier this year. All have many trophies and stuff. Imagine CBB was playing adv too. Wow. That would be too much competition in one tier.
Like the good old days. :]

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I've been noticing a lot of people have been using punctuation reacts ("-" and "," and the rest) as a way to express their shock in pokemon matches, not just in SPL but in all sorts of matches all over this website. HOWEVER, it is widely misunderstood that each type of punctuation is not actually interchangeable and each comes with their own unique set of properties. As a PROFESSOR of PUNCTUATION myself, seeing such misuse made me very upset. That's why I've decided to channel my anger into something positive, and come up with my own guide to using them!

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 7.43.13 PM.png

please exercise caution while using such powerful reactions in the future. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)