Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Greetings from New Zealand ^~^
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this question.

I am new to Pokemon battles and am interested in learning how competitive battling works so I can battle well. I haven't been on a Forum since Windows XP. I am very interested in tiers and building teams. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
^~^

https://www.smogon.com/articles/getting-started

This article is a bit outdated iirc but I found it to be a nice intro.
The main tiers on Smogon are decided by usage. It goes OU (highest) -> UU -> RU -> NU -> PU, with Ubers being the OU ban list. Little Cup, Monotype, Anything Goes etc are special formats.
Team Building is not my forte but the guide I linked does have a primer on roles. You can find the viability rankings, speed tiers, and other team building resources on the sub forum for a specific tier, along with the metagame discussion and simple question threads.
And make sure to sign up at play.pokemonshowdown.com to play matches!

You’re welcome ^_^ feel free to PM me if you need clarification. Personally, I’ve been really into Little Cup lately (I’ll be playing in the LC Open XIII ^_^)

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, for the first time I finally created an account because I want to participate in Volcarona's suspect test, but this is the first time I'd try to do that and I'm not sure how to do it.

Do I just need to register on Showdown with the name "OUWW ____" and try to ladder, or do I need to anounce somewhere that I intend to participate on it? (I'm asking because it would suck if I somehow managed to get the points but forgot to do something beforehand and therefore cannot vote)

(that is of course considering I will de able to do it haha but I'd like to try)

Thanks in advance

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi, I'm a long time lurker, for the first time I finally created an account because I want to participate in Volcarona's suspect test, but this is the first time I'd try to do that and I'm not sure how to do it.

Do I just need to register on Showdown with the name "OUWW ____" and try to ladder, or do I need to anounce somewhere that I intend to participate on it? (I'm asking because it would suck if I somehow managed to get the points but forgot to do something beforehand and therefore cannot vote)

(that is of course considering I will de able to do it haha but I'd like to try)

Thanks in advance
you only have to ladder and get the required GXE within the amount of games necessary. You don't even need to constrain yourself to just one alt, people frequently use multiple alts if they lose early on in their run so that they can get better GXE. Just ladder, don't break any rules, and post when you get the reqs.

you only have to ladder and get the required GXE within the amount of games necessary. You don't even need to constrain yourself to just one alt, people frequently use multiple alts if they lose early on in their run so that they can get better GXE. Just ladder, don't break any rules, and post when you get the reqs.
Thank you so much

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Why was Plague von Karma banned?
I was also curious why she was banned…didn’t ask though, because of the no-asking rule.
where does it say it is illegal to ask why someone is banned?
Generally speaking, you’re not supposed to talk about what a person's ban reasoning is. This is done to prevent unneeded further speculation and to protect the user banned and especially the victim(s) privacy as well as to not make the person banned be continuously harassed and be thrown baseless accusations from others. I'm pretty sure there's not an actual rule on site to say you can't ask, but it's generally pretty frowned in the community and you CAN find a person's ban reasoning in the inside scoop forum since there's a noteworthy banned users list there, but that requires a badge to have.

Generally speaking, you’re not supposed to talk about what a person's ban reasoning is. This is done to prevent unneeded further speculation and to protect the user banned and especially the victim(s) privacy as well as to not make the person banned be continuously harassed and be thrown baseless accusations from others. I'm pretty sure there's not an actual rule on site to say you can't ask, but it's generally pretty frowned in the community and you CAN find a person's ban reasoning in the inside scoop forum since there's a noteworthy banned users list there, but that requires a badge to have.
ok. I just want to make sure that she wasn't unfairly banned. She hasn't even said anything about it as far as I can tell.

Oculars

REVERSE SHAMONE
is a Tiering Contributor
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I've never understood the incentive behind Top Tiering Contributor being a 0 value badge. Grinding 18 Suspects in a single Unofficial Tier or 30 Across multiple tiers represents a significant contribution to smogon and its metagames over typically a multiple year period. I feel this represents at least as big of a contribution as writing a bunch of analysis which some people have done in less than a month. I understand the reasoning for not wanting to reward regular TC as its the easiest badge to get only needing like 4 suspects in an official tier, however the shiny badge also being valueless doesn't make sense to me in the same way. Would appreciate if someone could give me some further insight into why badges are structured this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)